• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As someone with a beast of a modded Wii U which contains a good majority of the Nintendo back catalogue on it (that I own), all contained on a single system & connected to my TV via HDMI, I'm really going to need Nintendo to pull out all stops to get me even remotely interested in buying the Switch. Perhaps a "New" Nintendo Switch Colour XL 3D edition will bring me onboard to their current ecosystem. As a platform agnostic gamer (and from a Nintendo standpoint): I either sacrifice 3D gaming (that I LOOOOOVE) from my N3DS XL to play on a crappy 2D Switch or I sacrifice my entire Nintendo back catalog of games from my amazing Wii U just to play games @ sub- 720p on a home portable screen in 2017... Hm. Uh, no sale. I'm stoked that it's successful though. All future games that are funded thanks to the success of the Nintendo Switch's mass market success will eventually end up in my library... Albiet for ultra cheap and in a nicely revised, reliable iteration of the console (Hello, Switch 2021 edition, sans scratches and dock issues). If Odyssey had been a genuine successor to SM64, I'd be buying a Switch right now but the Mario team dropped the ball, sadly.
Really!!? For Odyssey was genuine successor on term how good it felt to control Mario but at same time I really like Odyssey was different Mario game than rest of them.

afr1234

Neo Member
Joycons are poor Quality

Battery life is attrocious, I can't imagine
how useless the console Will be in a few years when battery starts dying

Battery should be easy to replace

Integrated memory (at least a "free" 128 gb micro SD)

Better dock

That's just not true. I just tried it and no the thumbs won't block the current bezel at all when pushed inwards and I have huge thumbs. But even if it were, blocking a couple of mms of the most peripheral part of the screen on rare occasions (how often would the thumb be all the way in) doesn't impact the game at all.

Seriously, try it. What you are you claiming is simply not an issue

Point taken.

To reiterate an epiphany I had in a recent Virtua Fighter thread: The Switch needs a joycon that rips off the Neo Geo Pocket design for 2d games. (The NGPC basically utilized a mini arcade stick, and it felt great... but may have had durability issues like on the Neo CD pad.)

delete12345

Joycons are poor Quality

Battery life is attrocious, I can't imagine
how useless the console Will be in a few years when battery starts dying

Battery should be easy to replace

Integrated memory (at least a "free" 128 gb micro SD)

Better dock

1. Joycons are fine for what it is. The lesser quality plastic, the better. Why? Joycons are more prone to damage, and is easier to replace. Frequent replacement of parts meant the Joycons need to target at less than $60 for a pair, in order to say it's just right. If you want premium Joycons, and you often damage them due to putting it on uneven surfaces, or you dropped the Switch from a fair amount of height, you're going to have a bad time...

2. Battery technology hasn't improved over the past, what, 5 or 6 years? There are no big breakthroughs that would scientifically make small capacity batteries lasting 1 or 2 hours more than the current designs. So, if you want longer battery life, either you opt to increase the size of the battery (thereby increasing the overall size of the Switch, and reducing its portability), or you go with external power sources. Choose wisely.

3. Batteries can be replaced, however, this also meant the components inside the Switch must be internal combustion resistant, therefore requires more vigorous testing, design, implementation, and a price hike to compensate the return of investment in researching these safety mechanisms and hazard prevention. But if you still insist, without changing anything else except for the option to replace the battery, expect a $50 increase.

4. Integrated NAND memory chip is pretty expensive. It is not like disc drive platters, which are far more cheaper by capacity/price ratio. A Fujitsu 128GB hard drive is $24 to $30, compared to a 128GB USB drive, which is in the range of $70 to $100. But sure, at least having an option buy a cheaper (current) Switch model or a Switch with a larger internal memory, is a good compromise. Besides, we have seen teardown videos of the Switch's internal memory chipset being replaceable, so we should expect a model with a larger memory soon.

5. The dock is fine for what it is. Why would anyone wanted to see their reflections from the Switch's screen while they are playing on the TV, and the Switch's onboard screen is turned off all of the time?

Point taken.

To reiterate an epiphany I had in a recent Virtua Fighter thread: The Switch needs a joycon that rips off the Neo Geo Pocket design for 2d games. (The NGPC basically utilized a mini arcade stick, and it felt great... but may have had durability issues like on the Neo CD pad.)

That would be great! Any durability issues can probably be fixed using a stronger material.

Regolego

Neo Member
Add a d-pad

This is a must for me. I have yet to try the Switch, but playing 2D-platform games handheld is usually something I do with a D-pad.
I hope Nintendo make changeable joycons with D-pads or with both joystick and D-pad if that's not too clumsy.

afr1234

Neo Member
1. Joycons are fine for what it is. The lesser quality plastic, the better. Why? Joycons are more prone to damage, and is easier to replace. Frequent replacement of parts meant the Joycons need to target at less than $60 for a pair, in order to say it's just right. If you want premium Joycons, and you often damage them due to putting it on uneven surfaces, or you dropped the Switch from a fair amount of height, you're going to have a bad time...

2. Battery technology hasn't improved over the past, what, 5 or 6 years? There are no big breakthroughs that would scientifically make small capacity batteries lasting 1 or 2 hours more than the current designs. So, if you want longer battery life, either you opt to increase the size of the battery (thereby increasing the overall size of the Switch, and reducing its portability), or you go with external power sources. Choose wisely.

3. Batteries can be replaced, however, this also meant the components inside the Switch must be internal combustion resistant, therefore requires more vigorous testing, design, implementation, and a price hike to compensate the return of investment in researching these safety mechanisms and hazard prevention. But if you still insist, without changing anything else except for the option to replace the battery, expect a $50 increase.

4. Integrated NAND memory chip is pretty expensive. It is not like disc drive platters, which are far more cheaper by capacity/price ratio. A Fujitsu 128GB hard drive is $24 to $30, compared to a 128GB USB drive, which is in the range of $70 to $100. But sure, at least having an option buy a cheaper (current) Switch model or a Switch with a larger internal memory, is a good compromise. Besides, we have seen teardown videos of the Switch's internal memory chipset being replaceable, so we should expect a model with a larger memory soon.

5. The dock is fine for what it is. Why would anyone wanted to see their reflections from the Switch's screen while they are playing on the TV, and the Switch's onboard screen is turned off all of the time?

You sound like a nintendo apologist, those things I said is what i need as the console is very good, but has big enough flaws that need to be fixed.

1) Nintendo doesn't pay retail for hdd. A 128 micro SD wouldn't be too costly for them or adding that capacity to their internal drive.

Passing that cost on the consumer for what isn't edge cutting technology is not that healthy

2) Not my problem. If they have to invest more in research to sell a better product, I do not care. I only care about a better product at a better price point, that is what being competent is all about.

3) Battery needs to be easily removable as the system Will be unusable in portable mode in a few years.

4) carrying an aditional battery isn't portable either. Regardless, the battery issue is because they chose cheap battery.

2hrs battery life is just a joke

5) The better dock is needed:

Needs ethernet cable support, needs to not scratch the screen.

6) Joycons are poor Quality. Period.

They get Interrupted easily, they are too small, they have a bad gripping system (it breaks easily when detached), etc.

Really!!? For Odyssey was genuine successor on term how good it felt to control Mario but at same time I really like Odyssey was different Mario game than rest of them.

I genuinely wish that I felt that way. I do love the fact that there is a new 3D "adventure" style Mario though and that it's been met with such a positive reception. It's solidified that style of gameplay for Mario titles in the modern era so hopefully we'll see more of them :)

delete12345

You sound like a nintendo apologist

I understand where you're coming from, but I want to be realistic here.

For my #1, I will amend that I didn't phrase it correctly, and I should be saying the Joycons should be priced at a lower price point, like $60 for a pair. It's the most susceptible piece of hardware on the Nintendo Switch, so I would say they should make it bulkier, so it can sustain heavier drops without too much damage. The joysticks on the Joycons should also be made more durable, so it is not prone to wearing.

And #5 is a fair and valid point that I somehow glossed over. I'll agree.

My ideas on how Nintendo should use the 30 billion they have saved up...

Invest in in house chip development like Apple so the Switch 2 can achieve 4k 60fps in HDR when docked and 1080p unlocked.

Develop a solid online infrastructure and full backwards compatibility with improved performance akin to Xbox.

Fund high budget 4k remakes of the greatest Nintendo games of all time.

Release a switch 2 with the updates in the OP

BANGS

Banned
I'd like a non-portable version, that comes with a "regular" controller and overall just feels like a regular console. I love nintendo games but I really hate the gimmicks, especially having to pay extra for them...

Basically like the 2DS, a cheaper version with the useless gimmicks removed...

Leatherface

I'd like to see a "Pro" version with a bump in the system specs, with at least 256GB for internal storage and a proper glass version of the screen instead of it being plastic (I'm fine with it's size and even resolution, would just like a little higher quality).

On a side note, if Nintendo decides to do a "Pro" version, I think they should approach it differently than Microsoft and Sony. Instead of trying to push the system to do something ridiculous, I would simply aim for 1080P docked on everything and 720P in undocked mode. Use all the extra assets to boost framerate and IQ. That would be perfect.

Edit: Oh and proper support for bluetooth headphones/mic!!

Dakhil

New question, when do you think a Switch revision is likely to release?
I'm going to guess around autumn 2018 at the earliest and autumn 2019 at the latest.

I'd like to see a "Pro" version with a bump in the system specs, with at least 256GB for internal storage and a proper glass version of the screen instead of it being plastic (I'm fine with it's size and even resolution, would just like a little higher quality).

On a side note, if Nintendo decides to do a "Pro" version, I think they should approach it differently than Microsoft and Sony. Instead of trying to push the system to do something ridiculous, I would simply aim for 1080P docked on everything and 720P in undocked mode. Use all the extra assets to boost framerate and IQ. That would be perfect.

Edit: Oh and proper support for bluetooth headphones/mic!!

I don't think there are any mobile devices that has 256 GB of internal flash memory, so I imagine putting 256 GB of internal flash memory would be very costly for Nintendo. But besides, I agree with everything else.

Rathorial

1. Agree on bezel reduction for bigger OLED screen...but keep 720p for best battery life + performance. Also hdr support, at least for when docked to a TV.
  2. Agreed on the die shrinkage and 7nm process, but use whatever upcoming Pascal tegra chip there is.
  3. Use any saved space on moving to new chipset on more battery...and make that battery removable.
  4. A better dock with cushions, an ethernet port, and a lower price.
  5. Premium Joycon offerings with larger face buttons, a non-flat back with some kind of shape or slight protrusion to improve palm grip, and offer a widened right side joy-con option so the analog stick can be placed 45 degrees to the bottom left of the face buttons like the Xbox One and PS4 controller. Also real d-pad on left joy-con.
  6. Headphone jack that supports microphone audio as well.
  7. Proper bluetooth support for wireless headphones/headsets.
  8. Better internal wi-fi antenna for stronger connection in bigger houses.
  9. Offer larger internal flash memory options for those willing to spend the money.

Edit: Also concave analog sticks.

Dakhil

1. Agree on bezel reduction for bigger OLED screen...but keep 720p for best battery life + performance. Also hdr support, at least for when docked to a TV.
  2. Agreed on the die shrinkage and 7nm process, but use whatever upcoming Pascal tegra chip there is.
  3. Use any saved space on moving to new chipset on more battery...and make that battery removable.
  4. A better dock with cushions, an ethernet port, and a lower price.
  5. Premium Joycon offerings with larger face buttons, a non-flat back with some kind of shape or slight protrusion to improve palm grip, and offer a widened right side joy-con option so the analog stick can be placed 45 degrees to the bottom left of the face buttons like the Xbox One and PS4 controller. Also real d-pad on left joy-con.
  6. Headphone jack that supports microphone audio as well.
  7. Proper bluetooth support for wireless headphones/headsets.
  8. Better internal wi-fi antenna for stronger connection in bigger houses.
  9. Offer larger internal flash memory options for those willing to spend the money.

Edit: Also concave analog sticks.

I agree with everything you said, except for #2, because no mobile device uses a SoC manufactured on a 7 nm fabrication process. Most mobile devices right now use a SoC manufactured on a 10 nm fabrication process. And the most recent Tegra SoC, the Tegra Xavier, which I believe is currently in development, uses a 16 nm fabrication process.

Kei_Kurono

Neo Member
6.8 inch screen size with reduced bezel

1080p 90Hz Display (so it can be used as a vr headset similar to the old Oculus rift dk2 prototype)

Due away with the 32GB memory and upgrade to 64GB and 128GB models

Increase the power by 25-50% in both handheld and docked mode.

Cellular 4G LTE model

With all these enhancements it will need the switch would have to have a better battery or it would die in 60 minutes or less so it has to be increased from 4310mAh to 8000mAh
(I know where will it go? Don't forget this new revision is bigger)

A new Dock that has active cooling and a built in ram cart that doubles the amount of ram allowing for better textures and AA in docked mode. (backwards compatible with original Switch.)

Ok this is my dream revision and I know the price jump would be massive so I say release it in 2020 so the cost for parts comes down a bit and original switch owners don't feel ripped off/cheated.

MSRP $399.99 - $449.99 USD for the celular model

RPGCrazied

Probably won't buy another one. But the ability to turn the console off and on from the joycon, hopefully a system update will allow this.

1080p 90Hz Display (so it can be used as a vr headset similar to the old Oculus rift dk2 prototype)

Cellular 4G LTE model

With all these enhancements it will need the switch would have to have a better battery or it would die in 60 minutes or less so it has to be increased from 4310mAh to 8000mAh

A new Dock that has active cooling and a built in ram cart that doubles the amount of ram allowing for better textures and AA in docked mode. (backwards compatible with original Switch.)

Ok this is my dream revision and I know the price jump would be massive so I say release it in 2020 so the cost for parts comes down a bit and original switch owners don't feel ripped off/cheated.

A 8000 mhz battery would be amazing but I don't think that's doable in such a small size. Isnt that bigger than most laptop batteries?

FightTest

I just want the framerate to not tank so often. Zelda was atrocious quite frequently and playing XC2 right now I'm often wincing at how much it drops. I would understand it if I were playing cross platform games and the developers couldn't be bothered to make their game run well on worse hardware, but these are developed specifically for the Switch and they still chug.

I play docked with a pro controller 98% of the time so all the battery and joycon stuff is kind of meaningless to me.

Gitaroo

I want a console only model design like the one x, 4x gpu power of the switch so every switch game should be capable of running at 4x the res.

kunonabi

I just want the framerate to not tank so often. Zelda was atrocious quite frequently and playing XC2 right now I'm often wincing at how much it drops. I would understand it if I were playing cross platform games and the developers couldn't be bothered to make their game run well on worse hardware, but these are developed specifically for the Switch and they still chug.

I play docked with a pro controller 98% of the time so all the battery and joycon stuff is kind of meaningless to me.

Ive had my issues with the switch from the start but the framerates issues have quickly become my primary concern. If they continue through the second wave of software than id gladly pay extra for a revision with more horsepower.

Another revision: They better make it competively priced, if they want to compete with Sony and Microsoft aggressively pricing their consoles. It might have to be $200-250 if it's just a 2x multiple r increase with Pascal By the time a switch revision is out, xbone and PS4 will be 150-$200 for non black Friday.

If they are going to focus on a home console specs dock SKU, they should aim for PS4 pro territory at least and it shouldn't be higher thanbeing $300. This won't be possible with a hybrid of course. Xbone secs hybrid should be doable in 2019, but they should be wary of the pricing as well... $250 is good

I want a console only model design like the one x, 4x gpu power of the switch so every switch game should be capable of running at 4x the res.
4x the power is PS4 territory and weaker than Pro in GPU. Definitely not getting 4k, so investing all in resolution isn't needed.

Serdal

Neo Member
The realistic answer is process node shrink (10/12/14/16nm), bigger screen (8-9inch) to facilitate bigger joy cons and a "selfish" joy-con option that is bigger with proper dpad bigger buttons and pro controller's stick placement and a profiled grip on the back side, so it feels better to hold.

While Nintendo makes really good pro controller, for some reason it just cant make portable without serious compromise...

Along with all that might as well use pascal or volta GPU along with some CPU improvements, though all that is very unlikely. Since would probably require semi-custom design from nVidia. On the other hand switch is a success and they have money and assurance of success to go down that road. (Though off the shelf X2 might work, since a53's are disabled in Switch, so it would remain compatible and also allow for a boost in "enchanced titles" at least in docked mode.)

Cellular 4G LTE model

Ehh,I think you're asking for too much, and it won'√ sell with that price to performance ratio. Not to mention they can't fit that battery unless they make it significantly bigger(which is clunky as it is) or they get some crazy breakthrough tech in battery technology. It's gonna need a significantly smaller node as well, and need to be far more powerful to handle switch games at that screen size, resolution, and refresh rate.

delete12345

I really don't see the need to improve the hardware, UNTIL Nintendo completely uses up the keyblob fuses in their hardware.

That is the only time I would agree by then, Nintendo is going to show a new revision.

jadedm17

This thread doesn't seem very realistic to me; Nintendo is about price to performance, I can't really see them offering a $400(+) Switch. The bezel, battery.... Everything was picked to keep a $300 sticker.

I wouldn't mind being wrong but I just don't see most of these ideas coming true.

delete12345

This whole thread is just for fun to speculate. Realistically, none of the ideas in here will come true, except for 1 or 2 "plausible" ones.

I really don't see the need to improve the hardware, UNTIL Nintendo completely uses up the keyblob fuses in their hardware.

That is the only time I would agree by then, Nintendo is going to show a new revision.
Battery life on switch handheld mode needs improvement. And better hardware specs mean a smoother experience including more stable framerate and resolution

-MD-

Remove the screen and joycons, add a pro controller. $199

Wish they woulda had that option at launch.

My wishlist for a Switch Mini:

- Clamshell design, think GBA SP
- Integrated controls with normal D-pad, no separable joy-con
- Fanless design
- Smaller screen for increased portability, no borders like on current model
- No cover for the cartridge port
- Compatible with new dock, sold separately

The main idea here is that this is a cheaper device somewhat like a 2DS. It's going to be aimed at the parents buying a Switch for their kids. The price can be kept low by not including a dock (a compatible one is sold separately) or wireless joy-con w/ straps. This model is a bit more durable and chunky thanks to its clamshell design and lack of moving parts. It'd still use MicroSD cards, and come with 32GB of internal storage to keep the price down.

Motivations for all of this:
The joy-con on the current model feel just a bit wobbly to me. I would prefer a more solid feeling system, so I just ditched the joy-con. They're not required anyway, and you'd still be able to connect them wirelessly for docked mode. I hope a fan wouldn't be needed if the hardware is upgraded to a more power efficient and cooler running version. This way the device could be a bit smaller as well. Portability is key here. I want a Switch I'd actually feel comfortable taking with me in my pocket. The cover for the cartridge port just bothers me. It only makes swapping games more difficult. If it absolutely needs to be there, use a cover that slides in or something.

This whole thread is just for fun to speculate. Realistically, none of the ideas in here will come true, except for 1 or 2 "plausible" ones.

I think the majority of the ideas in the OP will come true. They are such natural and logical updates to the Switch that I would be surprised if most of the things in the OP don't end up happening.

LordOfChaos

If they're going to have a die shrink, why resynthesize TX1 on a new fab rather than going with TX2 which is already tailored for the new fab. Pro/X like spec bump would be nice, it's impressive but often shows its seams.

Dakhil

If they're going to have a die shrink, why resynthesize TX1 on a new fab rather than going with TX2 which is already tailored for the new fab. Pro/X like spec bump would be nice, it's impressive but often shows its seams.

I'm guessing because of costs. But like you said, it would make more sense to use the Tegra X2 for the Nintendo Switch revision than resynthesising the Tegra X1 into a smaller fabrication node.

I believe the TX2 is pretty much the same as the TX1, just made at 16nm instead of 20nm. The die shrink allowed them to run it at higher clocks while using less power.

The newest iPhone is made on 7nm, so I want Nintendo to use that same 7nm process for the Switch revision in a few years. This would allow them do away with the internal fan, run the chips at much higher clocks while getting 8 hours of battery life.

Oh, and a big congratulations to Nintendo for hitting 10 million sales in 9 months. Now invest some cash to go to 7nm for the next Switch and update the display.

magnumpy

make a version that's just a hand held, with permanently attached controllers and a smaller screen. this should reduce the cost enough to be like ~$200? ~$150? ~$100? screw it I'll just wait and buy one used in like 3 years.

Dakhil

I believe the TX2 is pretty much the same as the TX1, just made at 16nm instead of 20nm. The die shrink allowed them to run it at higher clocks while using less power.

The newest iPhone is made on 7nm, so I want Nintendo to use that same 7nm process for the Switch revision in a few years. This would allow them do away with the internal fan, run the chips at much higher clocks while getting 8 hours of battery life.

It seems that way if you take a look at Nvidia's spec comparison sheet between the Jetson Tegra X1 and the Jetson Tegra X2, with the exception of the addition of Denver 2 alongside the A57 in the CPU side, more memory bandwidth, more eMMC memory, better video encoding, and newer I/O ports.

FINAL%20JetsonTX2%20PPT%20Deck-14.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11185/nvidia-announces-jetson-tx2-parker

And actually, the Apple A11 Bonic (which is used in the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X) is manufactured in a 10 nm fabrication process, not a 7 nm fabrication process.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A11

delete12345

I think the majority of the ideas in the OP will come true. They are such natural and logical updates to the Switch that I would be surprised if most of the things in the OP don't end up happening.

Personally, I would go even bigger. Next iteration of Switch is the Tegra Xavier line.

Top Bottom