• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Ludist210

Wait, I'm confused...if Yuna is acting like X-2 was a bad dream and didn't happen, then
how is Tidus even alive? He came back because of the party's actions in X-2.

If they do make a third game in the series, I want it to be about Auron, Braska, and Jecht. Anything else won't do at all.
I don't know much about FFX-2 story.
Does this mean X-2 was just a bad dream? Tidus is alive? Can someone spoiler explain to me?
Tidus' "life" ended when the Fayth woke up in FFX. The Fayth brought him back in X-2 if Yuna and company did specific actions throughout the story.

Ghazi

I for one look forward to X-3
$20 says Lightning shows up.

I haven't played either games, the HD collection was going to be my first experience with them. I wasn't going to read this, but after seeing everyone's comments I had to. lol it makes doubly no sense to me, but it sounds pretty stupid.

hamchan

If I had a phase of my life where I dressed up in silly costumes and sang J-pop I would consider that a "bad dream" too.

FourMyle

FFX-2 had by far the best gameplay of any FF. I really hope FFX-3 happens and that they bring back that combat system and that they also bring back FFX's scenario writer for the new one.

I loved the setting, characters and themes of FFX so I want FFX-3 to happen. I want it very badly.

Holmes

Maybe this next game (or whatever form of media it will be) will a sort of split path from X's ending. On one hand, Yuna defeats Sin, Tidus disappears, and X-2 happens. Alternatively, Yuna doesn't/can't defeat Sin, Tidus doesn't disappear, Sin remains, and the audio drama/X-3 happens. Like a split tineline.

:/

ash_ag

If ffx2 was a dream then how is Tidus still alive? I don't get it at all.

I Ctrl+R'd and Ctrl+F'd the thread until someone asked this basic question. Indeed. What the actual fuck.

Fuck it if they are trying to say that FFX-2 was just a dream. Many FF fans might have hated it, but I liked how you got to see the world after you saved it, and what a world whose religion has been proven wrong would look like. It may not have been as epic as FFX, but damn it, I enjoyed that game and I enjoyed what they were trying to say.

You couldn't have phrased it better. FFX-2 is what it should have been -- nothing more, nothing less. For anyone who enjoyed the FFX world setting, lore and characters, it felt just right.

Square Enix is regressing right now. They are abasing a wonderful universe just for marketing reasons, if that. I'm indifferent about a sequel (I would enjoy revisiting some places and characters, but that doesn't say much), but if it means it being not only unnecessary but also harmful, I just find it unacceptable.

$20 says Lightning shows up.

I haven't played either games, the HD collection was going to be my first experience with them. I wasn't going to read this, but after seeing everyone's comments I had to. lol it makes doubly no sense to me, but it sounds pretty stupid.

20 bucks it is.

FFX is my favorite final fantasy. So, I'm clearly just acting like a giddy fanboy at this point. I guess this is how those Final Fantasy VII people feel...

Also, FFX is really great. X-2 is... really awkward, especially considering I played it during my childhood.

Chake

Banned
The funny thing is that it won't even be named FFX-3, more like FFX: Let Our dream blahblah.

And people wanted a FFVII remake....

hqdefault.jpg

Who the fuck writes this shit?

Mihos

Gold Member
Take the X story with X-2 gameplay and I will buy it... who the hell am I kidding, they can put Moogle costume Lightening in it and I will still buy it.

just not the collectors edition

ok... collectors edition.

Dark_castle

this is WHY I'm confident with FFXV story.

Look, I'm not going to defend this stupid audio drama or X-3 if it ever happens (I hope never). But FFXV has a completely different story directions for fuck's sake.

The only crystal left to the world lies in the Kingdom of Lucis. Upon striking a peace with the garrison state of Niflheim, Lucis rejoices in having at last brought the cold war to a close. Their celebrations, however, are premature. Under the guise of amity, Niflheim dispels the anti-armament runewall and launches a full-scale invasion of the kingdom. The peaceful lives Crown Prince Noctis and his entourage once knew are consumed by the flames of war as they struggle to mount a resistance.

FFXV's official story premise. Tell me if that reminds you anything from the abomination in OP.

Mihos

Gold Member
Look, I'm not going to defend this stupid audio drama or X-3 if it ever happens (I hope never). But FFXV has a completely different story directions for fuck's sake.

FFXV's official story premise. Tell me if that reminds you anything from the abomination in OP.

reminds me more of the abomination of a story that was FF12.

although I loved Bathier and Fran

- In the end of the bonus audio, Yuna's famous words from FFX about defeating Sin are back, with the crowd cheering. You know what that means, right?

No?

Blader

I absolutely loved FFX and would totally be down for X-3, even though I skipped the hell out of X-2.

That being said, this sounds extremely stupid.

Ugh, I would still play the fuck out of it. I love that world too much to say no. And if it's an evolution of the X-2 battle system, even better.

This is modern SE we talking about. I have zero expectations and good will left. FFXV is vaporware bullshit until SE can prove otherwise with idk... first, proof its a real game? press demos? something?

The premise sounds neat for sure, but so does the premise for many things.

Need a cleaner translation. I doubt they are brushing x-2 off as a dream but more so that Yuna's trying to move on from an embarassing phase in her life. Don't see the point of splitting Yuna and Tidus up, she went through all that only to break up with him?

Dark_castle

reminds me more of the abomination of a story that was FF12.

although I loved Bathier and Fran

Whether you like it or not, XII has one of the more mature plot and writing than most mainline Final Fantasy.

If SE can secure Alexander O'Smith to localize FFXV, it'll basically felt like a modern world version of an Ivalice Alliance title.

Uhh... we don't have to mark spoilers here right?

Fuck it if they are trying to say that FFX-2 was just a dream. Many FF fans might have hated it, but I liked how you got to see the world after you saved it, and what a world whose religion has been proven wrong would look like. It may not have been as epic as FFX, but damn it, I enjoyed that game and I enjoyed what they were trying to say.

At this point, that audio drama is just really sequel bait. Unless, of course, that planned novel release will actually resolve all the mess that they've made in the audio drama :-/

I enjoyed that about X-2 also. If that game focused more on the major shift Spira's society was taking instead of that Shuyin/Lenne crap, the plot would've been a lot better.

MormaPope

Banned
I imagine FF X-3 will be about different people romancing Yuna and then Yuna destroying sin with her many lovers. Personally? I'm going to get Kimahri and Wakka in on the Yuna love pentagon.

Please, somebody, wake me the fuck up.

Square Enix already shat in my mouth with X-2, good ending aside. This sounds like a clusterfuck of absurd proportions. I will not buy X-3.

Voror

Whether you like it or not, XII has one of the more mature plot and writing than most mainline Final Fantasy.

If SE can secure Alexander O'Smith to localize FFXV, it'll basically felt like a modern world version of an Ivalice Alliance title.

Oh I hope they can get him. He does wonderful work and this seems like it could be something like the Ivalice titles.

But seriously, what the hell is going with this audio drama? Tidus and Yuna are on the outs...for some reason. X-2 was a dream?

I mean, I thought that the game from a story standpoint was largely silly and more of a spin off kind of thing though it had great gameplay.

Burbeting

Banned
I'm somewhat interested about seeing X-3. Granted, I haven't played X-2, and played OG X as late as 2010, so it's still kind of fresh game for me.

Dunno about the audio drama though :(. The short version sounds meh, might need to listen to it myself some day.

fader

Man... they really wanna drain you FFX guys wallets dry... This is just desperate level shit here...
As a matter of fact Square, you better not touch FF7! I dont want a remake anymore!

Dark_castle

This is modern SE we talking about. I have zero expectations and good will left. FFXV is vaporware bullshit until SE can prove otherwise with idk... first, proof its a real game? press demos? something?

The premise sounds neat for sure, but so does the premise for many things.

We can discuss with great length of whether or not the game would be good (or if it actually exists). My point was, it was a different story directions. I was not necessarily referring to quality in this very occasion, but from the very beginning, it was already a different beast from whatever madness that went into X-2.5.

Let's not forget XV is a completely new title with fresh lore and setting, meaning it wouldn't have to be tied to previous entries in its sub-series.

But sure, set your expectations low. That way, you can be surprised if the story is actually good, hopefully.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
So SE hasn't learned its lesson with FF7's horrid expansions or FF13's hilariously bad sequels... awesome.

I can't believe they're doing this. FFX's story was so perfect it didn't even need FFX-2, it certainly doesn't need an FFX-3.

Zafir

I'd agree to a point. I felt like the story fell apart after the
whole most of them being controlled by Occuria
though. >.<

The dialogue was well done mind you, it's just a shame the audio sounded very low quality. Like they were speaking into a tin can or something.

Ghazi

20 bucks it is.

FFX is my favorite final fantasy. So, I'm clearly just acting like a giddy fanboy at this point. I guess this is how those Final Fantasy VII people feel...

Also, FFX is really great. X-2 is... really awkward, especially considering I played it during my childhood.
Ha, I could see that with (what I understand to be) the emphasis on "girl power" or whatever you'd like to call it. I'm fairly young now, so I'm sure it'll feel awkward at times as well for me haha.

Although I am very excited X, I had only plate XIII and repeatedly heard about VII (which I need to buy on Steam to play!) and when I looked up things about X and X2 they looked like fairly interesting and engrossing world.

injurai

Banned
So SE hasn't learned its lesson with FF7's horrid expansions or FF13's hilariously bad sequels... awesome.

I can't believe they're doing this. FFX's story was so perfect it didn't even need FFX-2, it certainly doesn't need an FFX-3.

FF13 expansions sold pretty well.

Crisis Core is also praised all the time, though nobody wants to remember Dirge.

Need a cleaner translation. I doubt they are brushing x-2 off as a dream but more so that Yuna's trying to move on from an embarassing phase in her life. Don't see the point of splitting Yuna and Tidus up, she went through all that only to break up with him?

Why would she be embarrassed about her X-2 phase? She did a lot of good fir Spira during that game and finally got the chance to really enjoy life after all the bullshit she had to go through up until the ending of X.

MormaPope

Banned
Man... they really wanna drain you FFX guys wallets dry... This is just desperate level shit here...
As a matter of fact Square, you better not touch FF7! I dont want a remake anymore!

With FFX being my favorite Final Fantasy, this audio drama basically made me not want to see what else can happen with Spira and the FFX mythos.

massoluk

Banned
I can see it now.

FF7 HD come with Audio drama

Aerith turned out to be alive. Cloud broke up with Tifa. Reno's daughter is introduced, having conversation with someone who sounded just like Zack.

Tecl0n

Oh god. That teenage, ok i'm guessing it's "tween" now, drama. I've never played X-2, because i was waiting for a translation patch on the int edition, but i know the ending. I'm guessing somethings will be changed/retconned.

Ugh, nothing good can came out from something with FFX in the title.

Give us FFXII HD instead.

The only thing i want (apart from IZJS, maybe a rebalance, the game is piss easy) is a better voice quality during ingame cutscenes (dat voice acting deserves it). I like to believe they have higher quality samples, considering how great the CGI cutscenes sound.

Top Bottom