• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Anyone else struggling to find a game? Just won't put me in any game whatsoever.

yeah, it's not happening.

Twitter
PSA: Google's GAE service is currently experiencing issues that affect RL server login. We are working to address this ASAP, updates soon.

Got a painted Griffon Decal and really like it but I'm struggling to find a good boost. I really wish they had a White Ion boost. Prospect boost sounds annoying and is too distracting visually. White Tachyon isn't pure white.

iB92lBN.png

Grinchy

Banned
I was really excited about this new car, but it kinda looks like shit with the game's color options.

It looks so awesome in the trailer, and then it turns into a cartoon clown car no matter what you do with it in the game.

Dev talking about the car on Reddit. Some good info and reasoning.
It is intended and normal. Just about every one of our "long" cars can clip and everyone's used to it. Dominus, for instance, has a front that extends well beyond its hitbox. It's still an incredibly popular car.

In terms of the Ice Charger specifically, there are a few constraints that lead to this being the best compromise:

It has to look like the real car from the movie. Its dimensions should feel consistent.
It has to fit within our normal range of hitbox sizes so that a DLC car is not overpowered.

If you shrink the Charger to be the exact same length as Dominus, it looks small compared to other 'long' cars like Dominus or Breakout unless you distort its other proportions, which then violates the first constraint. And players have typically not preferred cars that felt "small".
If you make its hitbox larger to eliminate all clipping from the extra length, it gains a gameplay advantage relative to every other car in the game. I don't think our general playerbase would take kindly to this. So now you're violating the second constraint.
There are a few options on the table. We could shrink it a little, but then some players will be upset that it's smaller. We could change its hitbox type to a longer, shorter box like the Breakout. This helps less than you think as Breakout, our longest car by hitbox, is not terribly larger than the current Charger hitbox. We'll talk about it and keep an eye on feedback.

One final note to consider. Our Reddit community skews very competitive in nature and generally wants a particular type of car to be made for competitive play. Sometimes, especially with licensed content like this, other considerations than pure competitive viability are important too. It's important that our licensed partner likes the final product. It's important that casual or new players are excited about how the car looks - a big part of why we still do this kind of stuff is to help grow the Rocket League audience. In that context, having the car be larger and feel right visually can outweigh the concerns over hitbox sizing.

On octane dominating the pro scene..
I wouldn't say we're content with Octane dominating competitive, but recognize that it is not a particularly straightforward problem to solve.

Other cars with the performance of Octane (Marauder, revised Takumi, etc.) haven't done anything to dent its popularity. While there are objective reasons to choose Octane, there's also a whole lot of subjectivity and comfort level that goes into its dominance. We could make Octane clones for a year and still maybe not dislodge it.

The length of the charger in comparison to other cars...
Batmobile Hitbox Length: 128.8 Units
Charger Hitbox Length: 127.9 Units
Octane Hitbox Length: 118.0 Units

I just got a Saffron, Acrobatic Breakout Type-S: Funny Book. Is this as rare as I'm thinking it may be? Any estimates to the worth?

Also got some saffron spiralis, hella pumped. Would go well together if I, ya know, actually had a Breakout Type-S

mr.beers

Is ranking broken? I just went from 3 bar bronze to 2 bar silver in 2 matches. Not complaining but I skipped the division rankings apparently.

rafaelr

Is ranking broken? I just went from 3 bar bronze to 2 bar silver in 2 matches. Not complaining but I skipped the division rankings apparently.

they made a small adjustment to the ranks

We have deployed a small adjustment to how competitive skill tiers are calculated for Season 4. This does not affect matchmaking or skill gain/loss, only which Tiers map to which skill ranges (e.g. Gold II).
When we launched Season 4, we made an early adjustment to the Skill Tiers to ensure we did not create a surplus of Grand Champions in the first few days of the season. Players were gaining skill faster than we had anticipated and we made it harder to reach high skill tiers. While this was effective, it had the knock-on effect of making it more difficult than we originally intended to reach Platinum and Diamond tiers.
Today's changes restore the skill thresholds for Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond ranks to their intended values for Season 4.
In practice, you may gain a few divisions or an entire Skill Tier at lower ranks. Champions shouldn't move much, and Grand Champion requirements haven't changed.

Played with the Ice Charger for a few hours last night. I like it, feels like Dominus. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it because of the more extreme clipping but I plan on using it for awhile.

What's Platinum supposed to be the equivalent of? Some in between rank between Challenger and Rising Star?
I was superstar/champ last season and have been stuck on Platinum II/III so far this season. Competition hasn't gotten much easier as time has gone on.

I am so damn happy with these wheels, by far my favourite set in the game. They're greys, not whites, but I could always sell these and a few items to go buy the whites easily. The thing is, literally the only difference is the outside of the Kalos pattern is grey on these but the main feature is exactly the same on both of them.

The difference in price is astonishing though, with whites at 40 keys and I just picked these up for 12 keys. I'm inclined to stick with these just for the price diffference.

Tawpgun

I am so damn happy with these wheels, by far my favourite set in the game. They're greys, not whites, but I could always sell these and a few items to go buy the whites easily. The thing is, literally the only difference is the outside of the Kalos pattern is grey on these but the main feature is exactly the same on both of them.

The difference in price is astonishing though, with whites at 40 keys and I just picked these up for 12 keys. I'm inclined to stick with these just for the price diffference.

What skin is that? I like it

Soulflarz

Banned
Spending the next 200hr learning car control in the air
Wew.

Not standard, I mean muscle memory levels of awkward flying angles.

Spending the next 200hr learning car control in the air
Wew.

Not standard, I mean muscle memory levels of awkward flying angles.

What drills are you using? I usually just do Pro/All Star aerial training and do the shots backwards and tilted left and right, then move on to doing the pivot from the wrong direction (270 degree) to get into the tilted position. Then mix it up with the wall and ceiling but I can't remember the training I used for them. Though nowhere near 200hrs, more like 2, it did help a bunch. If you've found any good ones I may have to give them a shot.

Soulflarz

Banned
Ehh, it's largely situational and I wouldn't even suggest putting the time into what I'm doing until you need to improve without a true ceiling (ie, not "I wanna be as good as x", but raw improvement)
I just do a variety of things, but like 1hr sideways then 30m upside down, etc

There's probably better things to learn, air roll fixes most needs to learn awkward flying anyways.

Ah sounds like a very similar practice just you have way more patience for it than me XD I get bored after an hour or two and go back to matchmaking. I've found it really useful though personally. Now when I launch instead of air rolling and then correcting I can work the correction in before or during the roll, or go brave and not correct at all, but the former two have ramped up my control at launch a lot or reduced the time it takes for me to gain control.

Meanwhile I can barely flick. Definitely bigger stuff to work on first lol. I struggle to keep my interest on ground practice though since I'm easily pulled in by the flair.

Update

THE HEADLINES
Today's update addresses stability issues on Xbox One, our new loading screens, and the invisible ball on Neo Tokyo.

BUG FIXES
GENERAL
Fixed an issue where the new loading screen format was causing players to crash out of game
Neo Tokyo (Private Matches) no longer has an invisible ball
Added protections to prevent Microsoft's new Xbox Live text filters from crashing Rocket League
These protections address game crashes largely related to use of in-game chat, Leaderboards, and Custom Training
In-game messaging has been added to notify players of when Xbox and PlayStation text filters are causing issues in Rocket League
When this messaging is visible, Match play will be unaffected, while in-game chat, Leaderboards, and Custom Training will have limited functionality

Nice. I have white cert Lobos. People keep making me offers. I take it they're decently rare?

Pretty rare, price says they're not worth much however but price sheets are a great way to get yourself scammed and prop up the 'big traders'. Probably pretty rare in general due to the crate they come from having a quick popularity drop off.

Love this news. Gonna be a blast to watch.

Mid-Season mayhem is back and it's this weekend.

Midseason Mayhem is back for a 2nd season, but this time around we've made a few adjustments including the addition of the popular new mode Dropshot! Just like last season, YOU will be able to vote on twitch.tv/RocketLeague and directly influence the maps and mutators that the pros will play on. These teams are going to have to be highly versatile, overcome a variety of obstacles, and outmaneuver their opponents if they want to walk away as winners and snag a large chunk of the $10,000 prize pool. We covered Midseason Mayhem in full detail earlier today on RLCS Overtime, so if you missed that be sure to check out the VOD.

MIDSEASON MAYHEM FORMAT
League Play teams will be randomly seeded into a single-elimination bracket where best-of-five series will determine who advances. Here's a quick look at the overall format:

GAME 1: Dropshot
GAME 2: Rumble
GAME 3: Mutator (fan voted)
GAME 4: Non-Standard Map (fan voted)
GAME 5: Rumble

MIDSEASON MAYHEM MUTATORS
Fan voting for Mutator settings in Game 3 will include the following sets:

”Friendly Fire"
* Demos on Contact (Friendly Fire)

”Mayhem"
* Ball Speed: Super Fast
* Ball Weight: Super Light
* Ball Bounciness: High
* Boost Amount: Unlimited

”Pinball"
* Ball Max Speed: Fast
* Ball Weight: Light
* Ball Size: Small
* Ball Bounciness: High

”Keep It Going"
* No Goal Reset

”Snow Day"
* Ball Type: Puck
* Ball Bounciness: Low

MIDSEASON MAYHEM NON-STANDARD MAPS
Fan voting for the arena for Game 4 will include the following arenas:

Cosmic
Double Goal
Pillars
Starbase Arc
Utopia Retro
Wasteland (Night)

NORTH AMERICA BRACKET
NA-Mayhem-Bracket-1024x574.png

EUROPE BRACKET
EU-Mayhem-Bracket-1024x574.png

Soulflarz

Banned
flicking is kinda essential. If a group gives you any room, enjoy your free goal. Learning to flick and how to powershot and how far these distances go (so basically, that you need to make sure others can't get them off, and be prepared for what happens when they DO go off) is a cornerstone of good positioning.

flicking is kinda essential. If a group gives you any room, enjoy your free goal. Learning to flick and how to powershot and how far these distances go (so basically, that you need to make sure others can't get them off, and be prepared for what happens when they DO go off) is a cornerstone of good positioning.

Powershots I've got a good handle on, for some reason it's just the flicks and I think it's because I never really try them, but I struggle getting the ball on top of the Octane a lot of the time too. Decided to switch to the Dominus for a while for the flatter body while I work on them. To be honest roof dribbling in general is a weak point for me. I always drop the damn thing to far to the back of the car and come to halt trying to pull it back up.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Powershots I've got a good handle on, for some reason it's just the flicks and I think it's because I never really try them, but I struggle getting the ball on top of the Octane a lot of the time too. Decided to switch to the Dominus for a while for the flatter body while I work on them. To be honest roof dribbling in general is a weak point for me. I always drop the damn thing to far to the back of the car and come to halt trying to pull it back up.
Batmobile is the easiest car for balancing the ball on top.

Soulflarz

Banned
Roof dribbling is a thing you don't even need to hit s3 gc in 2s

It's annoying as f because roof dribbling is essential as a mechanic to punish bad decisions by opponents (ie, not challenging you) yet no one learns it outside of a very small percentage of the total community. I can't count the amount of flicks in I've gotten in solo standard platinum rank because everyone stays back.

Put 30m a day into it for a week for ridiculous results.

Batmobile is the easiest car for balancing the ball on top.

A good point. I should probably switch over to that again for a bit. It's very easy to scoop it up with too.

Roof dribbling is a thing you don't even need to hit s3 gc in 2s

It's annoying as f because roof dribbling is essential as a mechanic to punish bad decisions by opponents (ie, not challenging you) yet no one learns it outside of a very small percentage of the total community. I can't count the amount of flicks in I've gotten in solo standard platinum rank because everyone stays back.

Put 30m a day into it for a week for ridiculous results.

That's not a bad idea. If I could get the hang of just dribbling it I don't think I'd have much trouble with the flicks in general. It's literally always due to the ball falling off from me going to fast or braking too much. When it's actually where I want it to be I can usually get the flick.

What drills are you using? I usually just do Pro/All Star aerial training and do the shots backwards and tilted left and right, then move on to doing the pivot from the wrong direction (270 degree) to get into the tilted position. Then mix it up with the wall and ceiling but I can't remember the training I used for them. Though nowhere near 200hrs, more like 2, it did help a bunch. If you've found any good ones I may have to give them a shot.

Check out Creative Aerial Training (8DC8-09CA-4425-B9DF, by WolfPhoenix but based on Kevpert's stuff). Good for working on your air rolls and sideways/upside-down flying. You can ease into it, and then get as creative as you want.

Tawpgun

Controls feel weird on Xbox after the recent update.

Played this morning, seemed ok to me.

Gold in Standard now!

Can't get out of silver in the other ones. Could use a good dubs teammate. The friend I usually play with is fun, but not that good and I doubt he will get any better because he hates ball cam. Still have no idea how he plays as good as he does with ball cam off most of the time.

RLCS Finals Back in SoCal

After bringing down the house in Amsterdam last December, the Rocket League Championship Series Season 3 World Championship is going back to Cali from June 2-4!

Taking place at the historic Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles over an unprecedented three days, the Season 3 World Championship will be our biggest event to date, starting with the inclusion of two teams from our brand-new RLCS Oceania region. A total of ten teams will be battling for the lion’s share of our largest-ever $300,000 total prize pool!

Tickets for the World Championship will be on sale the week of April 17, and we will have all the details posted here beforehand. Mark your calendars, get those tax refunds ready, and we’ll see you later this Spring! And don’t forget to tune in this weekend for the @RLCS Season 3 Midseason Mayhem, streamed live as always on Twitch.tv/RocketLeague.

AlexIIDX

So idk if it has to do with the tweak they did to the rating/ranking system the other day but I lost 5 games in a row at Gold 1 and didn't div down, just won 1 and went up to 2 lol....Also, bought 5 keys to try my luck with the turbo crate and got the Endo on my last key. I love the way it plays.

Has the butchered matchmaking been fixed yet? Last week (after that big patch) I ran into rookies and rocketeers in the same game..

TheKeyPit

Banned
Played this morning, seemed ok to me.

Gold in Standard now!

Can't get out of silver in the other ones. Could use a good dubs teammate. The friend I usually play with is fun, but not that good and I doubt he will get any better because he hates ball cam. Still have no idea how he plays as good as he does with ball cam off most of the time.
It was weird. The car controlled heavier. I changed the controller sensitivity back and forth from 0.01 to 0.1 and it felt normal after some minutes.

luffeN

It was weird. The car controlled heavier. I changed the controller sensitivity back and forth from 0.01 to 0.1 and it felt normal after some minutes.
Hmm, I had this feeling too some days ago, but it may have been due to changing the camera settings around.

So after getting my hands on the Kalos I've really come to like Titanium White. However I'm not up for putting 100 keys into a set of wheels so looking past the Zombas I decided to grab some Loopers instead. God damn these are bright! Makes my Kalos look dull or pastel. Second brightest next to Zombas perhaps? I debated going for Discotheque instead but I feel like they weren't as bright looking.

Check out Creative Aerial Training (8DC8-09CA-4425-B9DF, by WolfPhoenix but based on Kevpert's stuff). Good for working on your air rolls and sideways/upside-down flying. You can ease into it, and then get as creative as you want.

Thanks I'll give these a go.

Top Bottom