• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC : Grand Theft Auto IV, Who's playing it ? And how?

TheExodu5

Banned
Hazaro said:
What issue was this?

gta1.jpg

Look at the shadow of the bridge...it has all those dots. That's dithering.

SIP YEK NOD said:
on "high" rendering, there is still higher and highest, both solve the dithering problem, but both come with performance hits.

this computer with a nvidia 280 would likely be able to run comfortably on high, maybe even highest.

Good to know.

Vormund

SIP YEK NOD said:
woot! grabbed it at EB games, installing now, can't wait to see how hard my rig struggles with it

Intel Q9300@3ghz
Geforce 9800gtx
3 gigs of ram(damn you xp!)

This weekend i'm going to grab a few more hard drives, install vista 64. see if there is any performance change with DX 10, couple more gigs of ram.

Hmm well that's similar to mine.
Q9300@3ghz
Geforce 9800GTX SLI (OC)
8 Gig Ram

still uses the same style of .dat files for car colors and handling and stuff. i'm going to try modding a few files, see what i come up with

edit: fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Code:
; > FIELD DESCRIPTIONS <
; ----------------------
; (A) vehicle identifier			[14 characters max]
; (B) fMass					
; (C) fDragMult				
; (D) nPercentSubmerged				[10 to 120]
; (E) CentreOfMass.x				[-10.0 > x > 10.0]
; (F) CentreOfMass.y				[-10.0 > x > 10.0]
; (G) CentreOfMass.z				[-10.0 > x > 10.0]
;
; TRANSMISSION
; (Tt)	m_nDriveBias				1.0 = front wheel drive, 0.0 = rear wheel drive
; (Tg)	m_nDriveGears
; (Tf)	m_fDriveForce
; (Ti)	m_fDriveInertia
; (Tv)	m_fV
; (Tb)	m_fBrakeForce
; (Tbb)	m_fBrakeBias
; (Ts)	m_fSteeringLock
;
; WHEEL TRACTION
; (Wc+) m_fTractionCurveMax				(formerly fTractionMult)
; (Wc-) m_fTractionCurveMin				(formerly fTractionLoss)
; (Wc-) m_fTractionCurveLateral			(shape of lateral traction curve (peak traction position in degrees)
; (Wc|) m_fTractionCurveLongitudinal	(shape of longituduinal traction curve (peak traction position in degrees)
; (Ws+) m_fTractionSpringDeltaMax		(max dist for traction spring)
; (Wh) m_fTractionBias
;
; SUSPENSION
; (Sf)	m_fSuspensionForce				(1 / (Force * NumWheels) = Lower limit for zero force at full extension
; (Scd)	m_fSuspensionCompDamp
; (Srd)	m_fSuspensionReboundDamp
; (Su)	m_fSuspensionUpperLimit
; (Sl)	m_fSuspensionLowerLimit
; (Sr)	m_fSuspensionRaise
; (Sb)	m_fSuspensionBias
;
; DAMAGE
; (Dc)	m_fCollisionDamageMult
; (Dw)	m_fWeaponDamageMult
; (Dd)	m_fDeformationDamageMult
; (De)	m_fEngineDamageMult
;
; MISC
; (Ms)	m_fSeatOffsetDist
; (Mv)	m_nMonetaryValue
; (Mmf)	mFlags			(model flags - see below)
; (Mhf) hFlags			(handling flags - see below)
; (Ma)	m_nAnimGroup	(anim group type - see below below)
;
; MODEL FLAGS - written HEX for easier reading of flags
;	1st digit	1: IS_VAN			2: IS_BUS			4: IS_LOW				8: IS_BIG
;	2nd digit	1: ABS_STD			2: ABS_OPTION		4: ABS_ALT_STD			8: ABS_ALT_OPTION
;	3rd digit	1: NO_DOORS			2: TANDEM_SEATS		4: SIT_IN_BOAT			8: N/A
;	4th digit	1: NO_EXHAUST		2: DOUBLE_EXHAUST	4: NO1FPS_LOOK_BEHIND	8: CAN_ENTER_IF_NO_DOOR
;	5th digit	1: AXLE_F_NOTILT	2: AXLE_F_SOLID		4: AXLE_F_MCPHERSON		8: AXLE_F_REVERSE
;	6th digit	1: AXLE_R_NOTILT	2: AXLE_R_SOLID		4: AXLE_R_MCPHERSON		8: AXLE_R_REVERSE
;	7th digit	1: IS_BIKE			2: IS_HELI			4: IS_PLANE				8: IS_BOAT
;	8th digit	1: BOUNCE_PANELS	2: DOUBLE_RWHEELS	4: FORCE_GROUND_CLEARANCE	8: IS_HATCHBACK
;
; HANDLING FLAGS - written HEX for easier reading of flags
;	1st digit	1: SMOOTH_COMPRESN	2: N/A				4: NPC_ANTI_ROLL		8: NPC_NEUTRAL_HANDL
;	2nd digit	1: NO_HANDBRAKE		2: STEER_REARWHEELS 4: HB_REARWHEEL_STEER	8: ALT_STEER_OPT
;	3rd digit	1: WHEEL_F_NARROW2	2: WHEEL_F_NARROW	4: WHEEL_F_WIDE			8: WHEEL_F_WIDE2
;	4th digit	1: WHEEL_R_NARROW2	2: WHEEL_R_NARROW	4: WHEEL_R_WIDE			8: WHEEL_R_WIDE2
;	5th digit	1: HYDRAULIC_GEOM 	2: HYDRAULIC_INST	4: HYDRAULIC_NONE		8: NOS_INST
;	6th digit	1: OFFROAD_ABILITY	2: OFFROAD_ABILITY2	4: HALOGEN_LIGHTS		8: PROC_REARWHEEL_1ST
;	7th digit	1: USE_MAXSP_LIMIT	2: LOW_RIDER		4: STREET_RACER
;	8th digit	1: SWINGING_CHASSIS	2: OLD_PHYSICS

shit is serious, yo.

cybropm

Originally Posted by cybropm:
GTA IV FATAL ERROR: RMN40

What the???

Spent 5hr's downloading through steam for this?! What the hell Rockstar?!

What am I supposed to do now?

My setup is...
GAMINGLAPTOP
512 NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.080814-1242)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1112MB used, 4096MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.090

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You need to update to SP3 and everything should be fine.

I downloaded SP3 and installed it. Now getting a fatal error MMA10.

What do I need to install now? :(

Momar

aka Ryder
Very glad I stumbled on this thread. Looks like I'm going to hold out on GTA4 for a bit longer then. Glad I got all these other games to play! :)

cybropm said:

Try this fix from Zig at the Steam forums:

"I was getting the MMA10 error, I was able to get the game running fine by pressing the Log Out button on the Social Club application, and then the Skip Login button. Of course I can't play multiplayer this way but it'll do for now."

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Vormund said:
Hmm well that's similar to mine.
Q9300@3ghz
Geforce 9800GTX SLI (OC)
8 Gig Ram

Since SLi isn't supported it is the same. Zing!

Honestly I never saw this happening. There better be a big patch or driver update soon.

cybropm

Originally Posted by cybropm:
GTA IV FATAL ERROR: RMN40

What the???

Spent 5hr's downloading through steam for this?! What the hell Rockstar?!

What am I supposed to do now?

My setup is...
GAMINGLAPTOP
512 NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.080814-1242)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1112MB used, 4096MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.090

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You need to update to SP3 and everything should be fine.

(UPDATE)

Ok the work around worked for booting the game up. But WOW! I Can't see any textures 5feet passed the car with the minimum settings...credits boat is invisible like most buildings etc.... WTF my system handled Crysis better then this.

Looks like they got my money and I can't even play the game. :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Pimpbaa said:
Performance takes a nose dive when textures have to be transferred across the pci-e bus.
This sounds inherently untrue. You should be able to transfer 4GB/s across a PCI-E bus so texture transfer shouldn't be a bottleneck I would think.

Chiggs

Okay, well I've fiddled around with this game for awhile, tweaked the settings to hell and back and will now present you with this opinion:

THIS IS THE WORST PORT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.

That's not hyperbole. That's not embellishment. It's the truth. Rockstar, you can go to hell for this travesty unless you present a patch that fixes this game within the next two weeks.

My specs:

Q6600 @ 3.2
4 gigs of DDR2 800
Xi-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PowerColor 4870 HD 1gig oc'd using Cat 8.11

My framerates, at *ANY* resolution above 1280 X 720 fluctuate between 7-35 fps, rendering the game entirely unplayable. While the image quality at high or very high, or highest is noticeably better than the console versions, the performance is simply unacceptable. Making things even worse was all the bullshit I had to go through just to get the game to start: 30 minute install, plus GFW/Social Club bullshit.

Fuck you, Rockstar, from the bottom of my black, scabby heart.

ALL PC GAMERS ARE ADVISED TO STAY CLEAR OF THIS TRAINWRECK. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

psy18

Chiggs said:
Okay, well I've fiddled around with this game for awhile, tweaked the settings to hell and back and will now present you with this opinion:

blablablabla...

ALL PC GAMERS ARE ADVISED TO STAY CLEAR OF THIS TRAINWRECK. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Shit. Too late for me :(.

cybropm

I agree. PC GAMERS NEED TO STAY AWAY.

This is the last thing I needed. I am pinching pennies due to be unemployed cause the studio I was working for let go 150 employees. Having been in the game industry for the past 12years I have NEVER seen such a terrible port. I blame RockStar and they must not have a very good Compatability team to let this go out like this.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I do think the thread title could do with a change, perhaps go with what 'zoku88' suggested or some mod come up with something.

Stitch said:
i heard that the Bully PC port was also very bad

eh it was different, seemed ok so far, its actually built on pc using the oblivion *gamebryo* engine :)lol ) since they could no longer use renderware

Stitch said:

It was kind of shit with a weird haze colored thing going on. It was sort of an old game though so it was a bit understandable in that sense at least.

Kabouter

Stitch said:
Nah, it's fine.
I just had to limit my RAM to 2GB to play it.
And I had to restart the game about every other mission because the performance would drop significantly.
And there were graphical glitches all over the place.
And the game would crash frequently.
And performance on a fairly high-end PC (E8500, 4870 512MB) was never very good to begin with, it was shockingly terrible on my laptop with 8600M GT, and it did not offer any settings beyond resolution and shadows.
But other than those things, the Bully PC port was fine.

Kabouter said:
Nah, it's fine.
And I had to restart the game about every other mission because the performance would drop significantly.
And performance on a fairly high-end PC (E8500, 4870 512MB) was never very good to begin with, it was shockingly terrible on my laptop with 8600M GT, and it did not offer any settings beyond resolution and shadows.

Yikes!

Chiggs

Kabouter said:
Nah, it's fine.

:lol

I think I'm about done with Rockstar for a long time. I'm going to try to get a refund at Gamestop for this title. I'll speak with a DM if I have to.

ezekial45

Banned
This is pretty disappointing to hear. I always admired GTA's PC community and what they produced. But to hear how disastrous this port turned out, i guess we'll barely see any. :lol

dk_

lowrider007 said:
Some people are also having some interesting graphical glitches :D :lol

2j2jg1t.png
Definitve version confirmed. Some people must be really happy they've waited for the pc version.

aeolist

Banned
Wow, good thing I saw this thread.

Really too bad though, this game could have been incredible on PC with mod support. Maybe it'll accumulate enough of a community to generate a fan patch to fix this stuff.

Reinstalled and still "FATAL ERROR: RMN40." That's an XP error code telling me I need to upgrade to SP3 but I'm on Vista SP1. Awesome.

Tendo

I'm really mad I bought this on Steam. I feel totally ripped off. I have a great machine, runs cyrsis etc just fine. This is pathetic. When I'm able to play this in four years, at least it will still be in my steam account. Such bullshit.

TheExodu5 said:
Okay, looks like things were blown a little out of proportion. Apparently this is the ReadMe:

Not great, but not awful. As they say, those settings are very low on the console, so it looks like performance is somewhat in-line with the console version. The engine simply allows for a lot more than what was shown on console, and what current PCs are capable of.

The shadows alone probably degrade performance quite a bit, and they weren't even present in the console version.

Oh i dont know which quote is filled with more stupidity.... ren or stimpy's. The 360 was playing GTA IV at around the PC GTA IV version settings of "low".?.. my goodness, lol :lol
brain_stew said:
Considering how terrible the performance of each of the 360's CPU cores is, that shouldn't make any difference. A 2ghz Core 2 Duo will run rings around Xenon, nevermind one clocked @ 3ghz.

What a load of shit..the 360's tri core processor is very very NICE! ... some of you cats will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to protect your beloved pc platform.

Its one thing to be a fan one particular system..but to spew out such rubbish just to cover up Rockstar's piss poor port of a game thats been out for so long on the other systems is really nonsense, really, just stop it...

You know this is why im FED up with pc gaming... its not even worth spending big bucks on a pc setup anymore when we keep getting lackluster ports like this... its better to just spend 200 bucks for a 360 and just be done with it all.... none of these tedious issues with drivers, config issues, vid card compat issues,etc..this is just ridiculous my 9800GX2 1gb, OC'd 4.6ghz QX9650 and 4gb ram struggles with this game with graphic settings only marginally better when on high then that of the 360 version... and YES that IS THE TRUTH..the graphics are not a whole lot better then the 360 version...dont let some of these wacked out PC schmucks tell you otherwise..i got both right here and i dont see a huge difference besides the jaggies being cleaned up on the pc version ..which is NICE! and better draw distance and a bit more density on the sidewalks,etc..but other then that, the 360 version stacks up VERY WELL to the pc version...you know what sucks though, waiting 8 months for the pc versiona nd this is what we got.. a craptastic port, i would get my money back if i could..its NOT worth it if you already got the 360 version..for sure

These guys deliberately trying to make the 360 look so much like shit...even this guy above saying how crap the CPU is in 360 just baffles me...if your gonna reach and spew jibberish..atleast try and find something worthy of it ..my goodness!... lol:lol

zoku88

My Potato Head, are you being serious? Because, you do know that PC CPUs are faster than the CPUs found in consoles for most application (except for, in the Cell's case, floating point operations.)

ezekial45

Banned
Tendo said:
I'm really mad I bought this on Steam. I feel totally ripped off. I have a great machine, runs cyrsis etc just fine. This is pathetic. When I'm able to play this in four years, at least it will still be in my steam account. Such bullshit.
Steam doesn't offer refunds? Even if the game is severely flawed?

Top Bottom