• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
On my 660ti:

Playing with everything on high, 2x msaa, low motion blur I'm getting constant flux between 60fps and 30fps. I have no idea how people are playing with everything at very high and maintaining 60fps on a 660ti. Seems impossible.

I've resorted to using DXTory to lock my FPS at 30. The game is much more enjoyable now.

The problem with this game is that it doesn't bounce between 60 and 50 fps. It goes from 60 straight down to 30 then back to 60. Extremely annoying as this happens almost every time you turn your head in the world.

RoKKeR

How are 570 users faring here? What are my hopes at 2560x1440? :(

Don't hope, cry. I got maybe 20fps on High at 1660p.

For the Beta, I played on High settings, 4xSMAA at 19200x1200 and ran very smoothly anywhere from 30-50, averaging in the mid 40's actually. Cranking it up to Ultra felt like a useless fps drop, so I stuck to High. Could probably even drop to Medium for a great boost in FPS and overall, not a huge dip in IQ. Look at the comparison shots above.

Eideka

Banned
On my 660ti:
Playing with everything on high, 2x msaa, low motion blur I'm getting constant flux between 60fps and 30fps. I have no idea how people are playing with everything at very high and maintaining 60fps on a 660ti. Seems impossible.
Where have you seen this ? People with GTX670 seem to be able to run the game maxed out at 30fps though.

It only went up to 80 though, if memory serves me well.
Ah, sorry I have spent very little time with the beta, some details eluded me.

On my 660ti:

Playing with everything on high, 2x msaa, low motion blur I'm getting constant flux between 60fps and 30fps. I have no idea how people are playing with everything at very high and maintaining 60fps. Seems impossible.

I've resorted to using DXTory to lock my FPS at 30. The game is much more enjoyable now.

The problem with this game is that it doesn't bounce between 60 and 50 fps. It goes from 60 straight down to 30 then back to 60. Extremely annoying as this happens almost every time you turn your head in the world.

It sounds like you need triple buffering. Download RivaTuner and force triple buffering through D3DOverrider. That should give you a better framerate.
edit: You could download RivaTuner from here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.09-download-163.html

haikira

On my 660ti:

Don't use the in game Vsync. Use Maldo's advice for Vsync, in this link. It's below the screenshots.

http://maldotex.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/crysis-3-mp-beta.html

Mononoke

Banned
Alright to check back in.

Basically, I go over 2gb when I die - or when I window out. Something about having to reload the window or menu, makes it jump over 2gb. Outside of that, It usually hovers at 1940mb (for me) - memory wise.

In terms of performance, I still have everything maxed out with MSAA at the lowest settings (2560x1600 resolution). And the game mostly sits at 33-45 fps (sometimes dipping to 30 fps). I'm on the outdoor levels now with all the grass etc. All in all, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I'm really impressed with the graphics, simply incredible.

But it's kind of irksome that the FPS is so janky.

Demon Ice

Banned
Interested to see what the difference between the various shader quality settings does. I remember that had the biggest performance impact in C1.

Hopefully my 660 TI will be able to net me decent performance at 1680x1050. Of course, by the time I finally get to play the game in May, the tweakers will have it figured out.

Ghost23

Alright to check back in.

Basically, I go over 2gb when I die - or when I window out. Something about having to reload the window or menu, makes it jump over 2gb. Outside of that, It usually hovers at 1940mb (for me) - memory wise.

In terms of performance, I still have everything maxed out with MSAA at the lowest settings (2560x1600 resolution). And the game mostly sits at 33-45 fps (sometimes dipping to 30 fps). I'm on the outdoor levels now with all the grass etc. All in all, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I'm really impressed with the graphics, simply incredible.

But it's kind of irksome that the FPS is so janky.

No problems with VPN I assume?

Mononoke

Banned
No problems with VPN I assume?

Not at all. This was my first time using VPN as well, was really simple!

I just logged into the VPN app, used the free trial - connected to Korean server, booted up Origin in OFFLINE mode - and it just allowed me to play the game (I pre-loaded it the other day).

I'm just keeping it in offline mode until the game officially releases in my region.

Mononoke

Banned
dual 680s... oh sweet jesus that sounds like a dream. So I guess I shouldn't even bother with my dual 6950s then. T_T

This is my experience as well. Two 680s - getting 33-45 fps, with it dipping to 30. It never goes above 45 fps (or stays there) - unless I'm in a closed room or corridor. And those moments don't happen that often (well so far). But I'm also not doing 1080p. So maybe those with 1080p resolution are getting better performance.

Now I can't post that much information yet. I just played the game and the performance isn't stellar ( Read: Runs like ass ) based on the first level - Everything on Very High with only 2x SMAA and there's some significant dips into the 30s on a SLI 680 setup. So let's get this sucker running beautifully and I will update the OP as tweaks and information pop up.

Nvidia users, remember to get the latest 314.07 WHQL Drivers.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-07-whql-drivers-released

NOTE: To unlock the game early, use FlyVPN and use a Korean IP.

Now I am worried, I just picked up my second 670, hoping that I get good performance!

This is my experience as well. Two 680s - getting 33-45 fps, with it dipping to 30. It never goes above 45 fps (or stays there) - unless I'm in a closed room or corridor. And those moments don't happen that often (well so far). But I'm also not doing 1080p. So maybe those with 1080p resolution are getting better performance.

have you tried disabling SLI and running the game on 1 gpu just to see if the poor performance is the result of broken SLI scaling?

Mononoke

Banned

Okay, so with SLI disabled and only running as a single GTX 680 GPU - it's 15-24 FPS with dips below 15 fps if you move around a lot. Pretty terrible.

With SLI enabled, it runs at 33-45 FPS with it only dipping to 30 FPS. It's a pretty big difference.

KEEP IN MIND: I'm on 2560x1600p resolution. And I have everything maxed out w/ AA at MSAA x 2 (just because the higher resolution sort of negates AA).

Okay, so with SLI disabled and only running as a single GTX 680 GPU - it's 15-24 FPS with dips below 15 fps if you move around a lot. Pretty terrible.

With SLI enabled, it runs at 33-45 FPS with it only dipping to 30 FPS. It's a pretty big difference.

KEEP IN MIND: I'm on 2560x1600p resolution. And I have everything maxed out w/ AA at MSAA x 2 (just because the higher resolution sort of negates AA).

Damn
*EDIT, just saw you are running 2560x1600

Sethos

Banned
Well, one positive thing that I have to commend Crytek for; the first level is the performance hog. Means you can dial in the performance and it'll only go uphill from there. Most of the other levels run pretty well ( 60FPS ) whilst the first level sees all the dips.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, one positive thing that I have to commend Crytek for; the first level is the performance hog. Means you can dial in the performance and it'll only go uphill from there. Most of the other levels run pretty well ( 60FPS ) whilst the first level sees all the dips.

Don't you have a 680 SLI setup?

What resolution are you running at? I'm not getting 60 FPS on other levels, although I agree that the performance is much better than the first level. Once you get past it, it improves. I also assume you are OC. So if you do have the same GPU setup as me, it's probably my CPU + GPU OC settings (my CPU is weak, i5 2320 3.4 ghz). Getting 34-45 FPS on average with all my settings max (2560x1600p).

Smokey

I plan to run C3 through numerous resolutions/setups:

-2560x1600
-1920x1080
-1920x1080 in 3D
-5760x1080 three monitors
-5760x1080 3D, three monitors

Will be interesting to see how my 580s fare, but that is what I plan to do. Game will probably murder the more demanding setups I listed.

Sethos

Banned
Don't you have a 680 SLI setup?

What resolution are you running at? I'm not getting 60 FPS on other levels, although I agree that the performance is much better than the first level. Once you get past it, it improves. I also assume you are OC. So if you do have the same setup as me, it's probably my CPU + GPU OC settings (my CPU is weak, i5 2320 3.4 ghz). Getting 34-45 FPS on average with all my settings max (2560x1600p).

Yeah and I'm running 2560x1600.

Running a 3930k @ 4.5 GHz and the 680s are two 4GBs - Not sure if it makes any difference though. Then everything Very High + 2x SMAA

Still, overall performance isn't that impressive. The constant dips are annoying, game is almost more enjoyable at 3840x2400 + 8 x MSAA because the FPS stabilizes.

atomico

I remember reading somewhere (Giant Bomb?) that the "high-end" requirements were a i7 2600k + GTX 680 and laughing at how ridiculous that sounded. I'm betting I won't even manage to reach a steady 30fps with that processor

Also, wow @ gtx 690

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah and I'm running 2560x1600.

Running a 3930k @ 4.5 GHz and the 680s are two 4GBs - Not sure if it makes any difference though. Then everything Very High + 2x SMAA

Still, overall performance isn't that impressive. The constant dips are annoying, game is almost more enjoyable at 3840x2400 + 8 x MSAA because the FPS stabilizes.

I was running MSAA x2. Let me go try 2x SMAA

EDIT: Yep, that did it. My FPS went up to 55-60 FPS. It's not as good as your performance though, as it will still dip to 49 FPS. But I think it might be my OC settings + possibly my weak CPU. Still, thanks for the heads up. Having the AA set this low at this kind of resolution doesn't bother me. I can't even tell a big difference. So this is gravy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I plan to run C3 through numerous resolutions/setups:

-2560x1600
-1920x1080
-1920x1080 in 3D
-5760x1080 three monitors
-5760x1080 3D, three monitors

Will be interesting to see how my 580s fare, but that is what I plan to do. Game will probably murder the more demanding setups I listed.
3d may kill you more than the 3 monitor res. Unless the game renders are lower res for 3d.

I have SLI 670's so I don't think I'll fare better although I do have a 3930k@4.6ghz and 16gb memory @2133mhz in quad channel.

Smokey

3d may kill you more than the 3 monitor res. Unless the game renders are lower res for 3d

I have SLI 670's so I don't think I'll fare better although I do have a 3930k@4.6ghz and 16gb memory @2133mhz in quad channel.

No doubt. I'm fully expecting 3D Surround to be unplayable

LiquidMetal14

I remember reading somewhere (Giant Bomb?) that the "high-end" requirements were a i7 2600k + GTX 680 and laughing at how ridiculous that sounded. I'm betting I won't even manage to reach a steady 30fps with that processor

Also, wow @ gtx 690
Game needs some optimization because a 2600k is a CPU that is pretty future proof even today. GPU is the bottleneck here but the game needs to go through more optimization and we need a few drivers to iron out some issues.

PLayed the first 40 minutes or so. I have not updated to the latest drivers yet. I am running a 680 and an i7-2600k at about 3.8. 1080p, SMAA 4x, very high for everything else.

Performance is kind of all over the place. I've had it it 60fps briefly and go as low as 20, but 95% of the time it is sitting right at 30fps, which is perfectly fine by me. I miss the days of locked 60 with Crysis 2, but I'll take 30. Looks great.

bee

No doubt. I'm fully expecting 3D Surround to be unplayable

shouldn't be, doesn't it use the same lame 3D that crysis 2 used? that had like a 2% performance hit, 2d surround doesn't exactly play great though so you may have a point

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Looks like we're a rare breed or something. :(
I played the hell out of the beta but I haven't bought the full version yet. Today's the last day for pre-order bonuses, right?

The Cry3 beta was pretty punishing on my 5850 Crossfire setup but it was perfectly playable at high/1080p/2xSMAA. I was getting around 40-80fps, with peaks up to 150fps in indoor areas. Triple buffering took care of the stuttering.

LiquidMetal14

I'm sure the game looks great but I think this could be a game that has bells and whistles that are there just because. 2 670/680's should be more than enough to run this game at a steady 60fps at 1080p.

Mononoke

Banned
Game needs some optimization because a 2600k is a CPU that is pretty future proof even today. GPU is the bottleneck here but the game needs to go through more optimization and we need a few drivers to iron out some issues.

Yep this. We need to consider that once driver updates come out, the performance will probably stabilize and get better. So it's not entirely fair to say you need X card to run it at x setting.

Well, unless you are Ass Creed 3 - then your performance is always going to have issues, and there won't ever be a fix. :p

d00d3n

With i5-3570K @ 4.2 GHz (dynamic overclock), 8 GB RAM, Geforce 580 GTX SLI (1.5 GB VRAM) and Win 7 64 bit:

The game seems to be running fine with everything on high (not very high), 16 AF, FXAA and vsync, running at 2560x1440. Seems to be 60 fps most of the time.

By the way: Does the game allow you to reload checkpoints without quitting and restarting?

antitrop

I have an i7-2600k OC'd to 4.8ghz and a GTX 590.

I was disappointed by the performance of the Crysis 3 beta.

My processor and GPU are both still perfectly acceptable for high-end gaming, but Crysis 3 is so poorly optimized it makes me feel inadequate.

Top Bottom