• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

jsnepo

I really couldn't get this game into playable performance. I'm getting less than 10fps. I'm at the beginning of the game coming just into New York. I'm only playing this at 720p yet performance is worse compared to Crysis 2 which I can play at 60fps for the same resolution. WTF did they add to the game engine? It's like a generational leap when it comes to performance.

Been awhile but I fired it up again, still getting the hitching, so made a video of it -

http://youtu.be/HvwLbDxmsZw

Hopefully it shows it off, as I walk into the main area, and also as the arrows explode, I just want to see if that's "normal" so to speak. Can anyone else go to this area and do what I did and see if they get the same result ?

That looks like VRAm hitching. What card do you have, with how much VRAM, and what is your texture setting at? What AA settings are you using?

I recommend medium or high. The differences in texture settings affect the texture treaming cache, not the quality and resolutions of nearby textures.

I really couldn't get this game into playable performance. I'm getting less than 10fps. I'm at the beginning of the game coming just into New York. I'm only playing this at 720p yet performance is worse compared to Crysis 2 which I can play at 60fps for the same resolution. WTF did they add to the game engine? It's like a generational leap when it comes to performance.

What is your rig, and what are your settings?

jsnepo

What is your rig, and what are your settings?

My computer isn't really good though but I though since I can run Crysis 2 at 60fps at the highest graphical setting but only at 720p, this game may at least run at half the fps. To be honest I'm quite embarrassed by the system specs of my PC. Here it goes anyway,

Intel Core2Duo E7500 @2.93GHz
2GB DDR2 800
AMD HD Radeon 7750 1GB DDR5

That's the bizarre thing, even on the lowest settings the game allows me to select, the same hitching happens. My specs -

i5 3570k
GTX 760 2GB
8GB DDR3
Windows 8.1 64 Bit

I just cant figure out if its "normal" for the engine, or if there is something up with my system and the game.

My computer isn't really good though but I though since I can run Crysis 2 at 60fps at the highest graphical setting but only at 720p, this game may at least run at half the fps. To be honest I'm quite embarrassed by the system specs of my PC. Here it goes anyway,

Intel Core2Duo E7500 @2.93GHz
2GB DDR2 800
AMD HD Radeon 7750 1GB DDR5

Crysis 3 adds in a lot of graphical enhancements at higher settings on PC. Crysis 2 in comparison has a much more gradual/non-changing effects when you ramp up the settings (low in crysis 2 actually has a lot of similarities to medium for example).

Similarly, a lot of gameplay stuff on PC in Crysis 3 requires much more RAM and CPU power than your PC could maybe leverage. a quad core is very much so recommended for the game to have it run well (unlike Crysis 2 where world interaction and world density was not as high).

I recommend putting all settings in Crysis 3 on low, dropping textures to low, and you will actually have a game which graphically, is very similar looking to Crysis 2 DX9 on high actually.

That's the bizarre thing, even on the lowest settings the game allows me to select, the same hitching happens. My specs -

i5 3570k
GTX 760 2GB
8GB DDR3
Windows 8.1 64 Bit

I just cant figure out if its "normal" for the engine, or if there is something up with my system and the game.

Give this a try: http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Drop it on your desktop and klick maximum timer. Further more try this:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

That video does look a lot like a VRAM problem (as most game hitching is). What AA and what texture settings do you use when it manifests?

jsnepo

Crysis 3 adds in a lot of graphical enhancements at higher settings on PC. Crysis 2 in comparison has a much more gradual/non-changing effects when you ramp up the settings (low in crysis 2 actually has a lot of similarities to medium for example).

Similarly, a lot of gameplay stuff on PC in Crysis 3 requires much more RAM and CPU power than your PC could maybe leverage. a quad core is very much so recommended for the game to have it run well (unlike Crysis 2 where world interaction and world density was not as high).

I recommend putting all settings in Crysis 3 on low, dropping textures to low, and you will actually have a game which graphically, is very similar looking to Crysis 2 DX9 on high actually.

Thanks. Will definitely try low then if it's going to look similar to Crysis 2 on high.

Give this a try: http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Drop it on your desktop and klick maximum timer. Further more try this:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

That video does look a lot like a VRAM problem (as most game hitching is). What AA and what texture settings do you use when it manifests?

Typically on "High" preset, 1080p, V-Sync off, AA - FXAA and textures on Very High, however even playing with everything on the lowest (1024x768, Textures Low, No AA, Preset Low, AF 1x, Motion Blur Off and Lens Flares Off) I still get the hitching as seen in the video. I tried both of those tools out, sadly no difference :(

Typically on "High" preset, 1080p, V-Sync off, AA - FXAA and textures on Very High, however even playing with everything on the lowest (1024x768, Textures Low, No AA, Preset Low, AF 1x, Motion Blur Off and Lens Flares Off) I still get the hitching as seen in the video. I tried both of those tools out, sadly no difference :(

Oh gosh. I recommend perhaps reinstalling your drivers doing a fresh install (clean wipe). Use the newst drivers. Are you on an SSD?

Oh gosh. I recommend perhaps reinstalling your drivers doing a fresh install (clean wipe). Use the newst drivers. Are you on an SSD?

Not on SSD. I may create a second partition and stick a fresh Win 7 install on there, and try it again that way. Always hate odd issues like this that seem specific to my system alone !

RedSwirl

Just got Crysis 3 on an Amazon sale. Here are my specs:

i5 4670 (I think) @3.4GHz
GTX 760 2GB
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit (on an SSD)

With this I was able to get Crysis 2 maxed out at 60 frames per second almost all the time. I've looked at benchmarks for Crysis 3 and they got me pretty shook. How far am I gonna have to turn it down to get 60fps in 1080p?

Edit: By the way does this game still have that problem where it locks you to 24Hz if you play it on a TV?

Bydobob

Similarly, a lot of gameplay stuff on PC in Crysis 3 requires much more RAM and CPU power than your PC could maybe leverage.

You're onto something there. After doubling my RAM to 16Gb I am getting much less peaky performance. Always suspected that my RAM was the weak link but never thought I'd see this improvement. Previously with 8Gb certain sections could drop by almost half into the 30s on max (GTX 780 and 4670k). The same areas now only drop into the high 40s.

Whether this is down to the extra memory or operating in dual channel mode I'm not entirely sure. I suspect it's a bit of both. GPU usage has been consistent at around 89%.

dsk1210

Just got Crysis 3 on an Amazon sale. Here are my specs:

i5 4670 (I think) @3.4GHz
GTX 760 2GB
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit (on an SSD)

With this I was able to get Crysis 2 maxed out at 60 frames per second almost all the time. I've looked at benchmarks for Crysis 3 and they got me pretty shook. How far am I gonna have to turn it down to get 60fps in 1080p?

Edit: By the way does this game still have that problem where it locks you to 24Hz if you play it on a TV?

Yeah, its actually ridiculous, all three of them suffer from that HDTV glitch, you can create a custom resolution to combat the problem but make sure to check your gamma out, i normally have to up gamma to 1.22 if i use a custom res.

RedSwirl

Yeah, its actually ridiculous, all three of them suffer from that HDTV glitch, you can create a custom resolution to combat the problem but make sure to check your gamma out, i normally have to up gamma to 1.22 if i use a custom res.

Well at least Crytek created an official way to play the game in borderless fullscreen windowed.

You're onto something there. After doubling my RAM to 16Gb I am getting much less peaky performance. Always suspected that my RAM was the weak link but never thought I'd see this improvement. Previously with 8Gb certain sections could drop by almost half into the 30s on max (GTX 780 and 4670k). The same areas now only drop into the high 40s.

Whether this is down to the extra memory or operating in dual channel mode I'm not entirely sure. I suspect it's a bit of both. GPU usage has been consistent at around 89%.

It could be the RAM speed thing :D. But good to hear.

I used to get the monitor glitch in Crysis 2, but I do not get it in Crysis 3 for some reason.

RedSwirl

I finally started the game, and on high settings I'm getting 50-60fps most of the time. What features in this game are the most costly? What does "Game Effects" even mean?

UnrealEck

I finally started the game, and on high settings I'm getting 50-60fps most of the time. What features in this game are the most costly? What does "Game Effects" even mean?

Game Effects apparently affects how long corpses remain.
As for most costly, I find shadows need a good bit of processing power on the highest setting. Dropping it down one doesn't degrade the quality much but gives a large boost in performance.

I'd reccomend checking this guide.

RedSwirl

So a 2GB VRAM card should be able to handle maximum textures right? And most of the time when I play games I just leave AF at some low value like 4x because I usually don't notice the difference, but the tweak guide said most modern graphics cards should just have it cranked up to 16x.

Looks like I may have fixed (or significantly reduced) the problems I was having with C3. As a long shot I tried something I found mentioned elsewhere, as they were having the exact same issues. They suggested uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. Which I did, and I have noticed an immediate difference. No longer is there any pauses when a level is first loaded. When I emerge from the cave on "Roots of all evil" and turn to look at the damn, it remains smooth with no hitching. When I blow up soldiers around the small destructible tree's, the pausing is so minimal now its almost unnoticeable. Game feels all kinds of fresh.

What a bizarre thing :S Any idea's why that could have even contributed to the problems I was having ?

Looks like I may have fixed (or significantly reduced) the problems I was having with C3. As a long shot I tried something I found mentioned elsewhere, as they were having the exact same issues. They suggested uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. Which I did, and I have noticed an immediate difference. No longer is there any pauses when a level is first loaded. When I emerge from the cave on "Roots of all evil" and turn to look at the damn, it remains smooth with no hitching. When I blow up soldiers around the small destructible tree's, the pausing is so minimal now its almost unnoticeable. Game feels all kinds of fresh.

What a bizarre thing :S Any idea's why that could have even contributed to the problems I was having ?

A lot of different games use specific versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables so you may have been getting a conflict.

I currently have 7 different version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 on my system, all installed by a different game

Noticed the issue come back, but also found Windows Update had re-installed a 2008 C++ again. Once again, uninstalled, tried again, smooth as butter. Wonder if this could be affecting other games ?

Either way, good times. #justpcgamerthings

dex3108

I was really surprised that i could run game between 50-60 FPS on almost all settings to max.

2600K not overclocked
GTX 760 OC version 2GB
8GB of DDR3

Only settings that i lower down were AA and AF i think.

Bah never mind, issue came back. Most likely disappeared as assets were still loaded into memory upon relaunches of the game.

I give up, would just like to hear others say they have the exact same thing so i knew it was a game/engine thing rather than my PC doing it.

Asgaro

Anyone also having the issue where there is a noticeable delay between clicking right mouse and your character aiming down sight?

It's very noticeable in this game.
Lowering the graphics helps: there is an improvement when playing with everything on Medium, but when there is a lot going on it's still annoying.

So I have to play this game with everything on Low to have no lag!
Still a beautiful game though, even on Low!

I also use the built-in frame limiter command to limit it to 59 FPS. I read this helps to lessen the issue I have.

My specs:
Intel i5 3570K
AMD HD 6950 1 GB (yes, not the more common 2 GB version)
8 GB RAM
1920x1080 resolution

Anyone knows other solutions, so I can enjoy playing on Medium?

I play on Super Soldier difficulty (the 2nd most difficult one) so I can miss any input delays...

Asgaro

Turn off v-sync, it adds input lag.

V-sync is off.
I use the following CryEngine command: sys_maxfps. It allows for a CryEngine game to limit the FPS while not receiving any extra input delay.
Edit: thorough explanation here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis3_13.html

Since I found the following threads where input lag gets discussed and that command has come up:

Hi Nvidia team, my OC 680GTX manage to play that games very well (performance wise) but theres one problem with smoothness. When my 680GTX reach its limit, for example 40 fps at 2400x1500 game will be unplayable because aiming is extremely difficult and SLUGGISH, therses a feeling of beeing "underwater", like playing on xbox controlor. BUT when I limit my fps in the game console command to 38 fps (2 fps lower than my 680GTX can render) suddenly aiming become extremly smooth.

So as anyone could see, my fps numbers in that game are good, they should provide great gameplay, but in reality because of this mouse lag anything below 120fps feels just wrong :(. Before I've even used low settings in order to archive 120-150fps (I prefer responsive and great gameplay over better graphic), now when I found out about that console command even 30 fps feels PERFECTLY responsive. So locked 60 fps is just dream gameplay.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...rs/crysis-3-huge-smoothness-and-mouse-lag-/1/

The same issue, "input lag", has been discussed here:
http://crysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=61350

Noteworthy, someone says (on the 4th page):
Is the "lag" you're talking about the delay between clicking RMB and aiming down the sights?
This is exactly the issue I'm having.
The thread starter responds that THAT is not the issue he's having though...
And nobody else responded to this question. So I still don't know whether this is a widespread issue or not. And what can be done about it instead of playing on Low and using that sys_maxfps command.

I had this issue with my 2gb OC 680 on very high settings where I can play just fine on the first level but really start to lag on the dam section. I kept the same settings but lowered the AA quality a couple notches and it smoothed out again so I just kept it at that. I think I was pushing the vram limit of my card at those settings so dialing it down a little helped a lot with the input lag

Asgaro

I had this issue with my 2gb OC 680 on very high settings where I can play just fine on the first level but really start to lag on the dam section. I kept the same settings but lowered the AA quality a couple notches and it smoothed out again so I just kept it at that. I think I was pushing the vram limit of my card at those settings so dialing it down a little helped a lot with the input lag

I've only ventured in the first level (the ship) so far. I want to nail the feeling before going any further.
So I can't imagine what it would be like in a huge dam section. :p

I haven't checked the VRAM usage actually. Will check it with GPU-Z soon.
My 1 GB VRAM could indeed be the bottleneck... Though I can't believe Medium (both for the graphics preset, and the texture quality option) would eat more than 1 GB?
And my chosen AA option has been FXAA all the time while testing btw.

I also just sent a PM to that user on the Crysis forum that talks about the RMB delay. I hope I get an answer soon™.

Major edit:
He answered.
Hey, I think the delay is built into the game so I never really bothered to look into why it happens. If you play Crysis 2 you might notice the same thing.

So yeah... and since I couldn't find any other search engine results, I guess I'll try to use a mix of Low and Medium settings to the point I'm satisfied.
Will check the VRAM though.

Asgaro

Ooow -kay?
I don't know what the hell is going on but the RMB delay has fixed itself automagically.

A few moments ago I tried Crysis 3 again. I haven't touched the game since the day I last posted in this thread. So 2 weeks ago.

Long story short:
- I had noticed when having a lot of Youtube videos open in Chrome, and my RAM usage reaches around 6.5 to 7 GB of my 8 GB RAM, Windows already starts to show a pop up that I should close a program to prevent Chrome from crashing. Which is too early.

- I always found this strange so I read up about the Task Manager values on the Performance tab.

- It seems this behavior could be related to a too small page file.

- Now, since I have an SSD I had my page file fixed to 1024 MB. (Both min and max value were set to this value.)
Quite some optimization articles recommended to lower it. (I was aware about the criticism about doing this but never thought much of it knowing I have 8 GB RAM.)

- I changed the page file now to 2048 MB to fix my described Chrome issue above.

Then I thought: hm, why not try Crysis 3 again, perhaps this was the cause?...

And all of a sudden...
I could now run the game smoothly without any RMB delay, EVEN when putting everything on Medium!
I also checked the VRAM usage: around 700 MB on Low resolution textures and 980 MB to 1024 MB (= full usage) on Medium resolution textures.

BUT - I then changed the page file to 1024 MB again (temporarily) to really know whether this was the issue, but then I was even more baffled...

The RMB delay was still gone! Still as smooth as with the 2048 MB page file.

I also removed the CryEngine command I described above, and same results.

So I don't know what caused this major issue a few weeks ago but I'm glad it's now fixed.
- I didn't change my graphics driver.
- I didn't install/uninstall anything noteworthy in the mean time. (only a new version of Chrome, Dropbox and some MS SQL Server updates)
- I didn't unplug my USB wired mouse.

The only different thing that I can think of is the room temperature: it was noticable warmer 2 weeks ago than now. But I can't believe that could be it.

ParchedFirsthandJaguar.gif

Top Bottom