• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM3 Rumor: Spark Unlimited could be working on Next Onimusha game

sublimit

Banned
How were they not tank? It was the same as Resident Evil 1, 2, 3. Turn the analog stick left or right to rotate the character model, then up to move him forwards in the direction he is facing or down for backstepping.

Am I remembering the control scheme of Onimusha 1 and 2 improperly?

It's been a long while since i played the games (when they first came out) but i honestly never had a problem with their controls.Also i don't remember the controls of Onimusha 3 being any different either.

Well Ninja Gaiden Z or whatever is apparently produced by Keiji Inafune, who used to be a "key' employee at Capcom.

Yeah but PSM speaks about a Capcom game. :/

I don't know why they suddenly dropped the ball with 3 by including a screen actor when they did that with 1 and 2 as well.

Jubei was based on a real actor?

Square Enix should've outsourced Lightning Returns to these guys so that staff could help out on Versus so it could be released within our life times.

Or they could outsource Versus instead lol.

ArjanN

In Sparks defense a lot of the people who work on the Pandora game have been gone for years.

Spark has been on a huge hiring spree the past few years and have probably snatched up most of the LA talent that didn't either move or move into Social/Mobile.

I don't think you guys realize how many game studios got shut down in the LA area the past few years. Spark is practically the only non publisher owned shop left in town.

This. It's probably barely the same studio as when they made Legendary. They'd also be working with Capcom.

IMO it's too early to be so dismissive. Operation Raccoon City and Dead Rising 2 were both made in collaberation with western studios, one of them was good and the other was not.

Just wait and see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Elginer

I've heard this rumor a few times already, even once from an industry friend. Odds are this being true are very high. Sorry folks.
To be fair as others have said the Spark of today is not the Spark of Legendary infamy.

Korigama

It's been a long while since i played the games (when they first came out) but i honestly never had a problem with their controls.Also i don't remember the controls of Onimusha 3 being any different either.
It was indeed the case that 3 was the first to use free range of movement (press the stick to go this way or that way), as opposed to the tank controls of 1 and 2.

Jubei was based on a real actor?
Jubei was modelled after the late Japanese actor Yusaku Matsuda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onimusha_2:_Samurai's_Destiny#Jubei_Yagyu

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, this Onimusha thing is probably not happening. It's just fairly baseless speculation.

Yeah but people also didn't believe GRIN was working on Final Fantasy.

Castef

Banned
Yeah but people also didn't believe GRIN was working on Final Fantasy.

touche.gif

sleepykyo

Onimusha was the franchise that should have been given to NT. Then again it is Capcom and they are clearly planning on going into next gen with a clean slate by killing every franchise outside of Resident Evil.

sublimit

Banned
It was indeed the case that 3 was the first to use free range of movement (press the stick to go this way or that way), as opposed to the tank controls of 1 and 2.

Ok i need to play the games again.

I'm surprised i didn't knew that especially since Onimusha 2 was my favourite in the series.Was this information always known?I'm sure i must have read the wikipedia article in the past...

Korigama

I'm surprised i didn't knew that especially since Onimusha 2 was my favourite in the series.Was this information always known?I'm sure i must have read the wikipedia article in the past...
It's been known since before the game's release, IIRC (I recall it being brought up in previews for the game).

Mit-

Into my veins! I would love another Omnimusha.

And here is why Spark Unlimited keeps getting projects.

Doesn't matter who makes these games. They'll have shit reception but they'll still sell well. Capcom probably giggles every day about getting away with ORC. Even if everyone hated it, I'm sure it still sold well enough to be a success.

.la1n

I won't get into the other games Spark has been responsible for but I enjoyed playing LP3, more so than LP2. I'll remain cautiously optimistic about it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God dammit, Capcom. Why can't you just make Onimusha internally?

Tizoc

Look at this way GAF; this may mean the PS2 Onimusha games releasing on PS3 and 360 by next year =3

Oh my....

Onimusha peaked with 2, such an awesome game. But I just came to the conclusion that a lot of franchises I love 'died' with the ending of pre-rendered backgrounds. I mean just look at:

- Resident Evil (although I tolerated 4 and CVX, nothing came close to 1,2,3 and 5 was some utter tosh, and I don't want to mention VI because that is looking to become an ultimate shitfest)
- The awesomeness that is Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX
- Dino Crisis (let's not talk about 3 eh?)
- all those old point-and-click adventures

With pre-rendered backgrounds directors can choose more of a cinematic angle, especially with horror games instead of all these over the shoulder and first person angles.

Hell yes I just came to the conclusion that the golden age of games is the SNES and PS1 era with those awesome 2D games and games with pre-rendered backgrounds!

A new Onimusha will never have awesome scenes and atmosphere like this:

onimusha2pic5.jpg

oni2_0305_6.jpg

fish_men.jpg

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Pretty sure they are not, and this magazine went to press prior to the Ninja Gaiden announcement. And Sven more or less denied they have another project together several months ago.

Someone post the gif from futurama when they're condemned to copulate with the amazon.
That's my face, fuckyeah Onimusha, fuckno Spark :~U

Shinta

Banned
Explain to me how this company get projects like Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z, Lost Planet 3 and maybe Onimusha. I never played any game from them but the only thing I read here is that they are shit.

I saw in an interview with Inafune that he said they are very good at communicating with Japanese developers. I don't know what else it could be really.

Furio53

I saw in an interview with Inafune that he said they are very good at communicating with Japanese developers. I don't know what else it could be really.

It doesn't take much detective work to realize that Spark now isn't the same Spark as it was when it made Legendary and turning point. Just look at LinkedIn.

“…It [Onimusha] is not forgotten internally, there are discussions that go on, but I don’t think anyone has sort has come up with the ‘that’s it’ idea of how to get the game back up to 3 or 4 million units.” Svensson told IGN at the time. “You may see some things of the brand pop up in the future, I can’t say what, but there are certainly discussions about it.”
Game would be doomed from the start.

rvy

Banned
Capcom needs to stop giving their franchises to bottom tier developers.

They need to stop giving their franchises period. Hire more people, put talented designers as leaders of the teams making the games. Outsource to Platinum. It's not rocket science.

Ein Bear

What exactly was it that made Capcom suddenly think they needed to farm out all their properties to Western Devs to better capture that market?

It's not like they had a string of internally developed flops or anything... prior to this initiative, their major releases this gen have been Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 5, which were all big commercial and critical successes.

rvy

Banned
Until Inaba or Kamiya confirm that they don't have a grudge with Capcom,i'm not getting my hopes up for a potential collaboration.
I'd prefer if they kept it internal, but I don't think there's a beef anymore. Kamiya seemed more than happy to work on DMC 5 if given the chance. Inafune is gone.

Dahbomb

Onimusha would've been better off being outsourced to NT. That series actually did need a remake because the last game was so long ago and since then has taken a weird new direction with DoD.

Dahbomb

With so many games being outsourced and the main console games being out already... Wtf is Capcom working on internally these days?

sublimit

Banned
With so many games being outsourced and the main console games being out already... Wtf is Capcom working on internally these days?

DLC for RE6 and Dragon's Dogma? Dragon's Dogma sequel?
(that is if RE6 was developed fully by Capcom.After playing the demos i have serious doubts.)

Dahbomb

DLC for RE6 and Dragon's Dogma? Dragon's Dogma sequel?
(that is if RE6 was developed fully by Capcom.After playing the demos i have serious doubts.)
Where's the DMC team? The RE team? The MVC and SF teams? They can't all be working on DLCs that's crazy IMO.

sublimit

Banned
Where's the DMC team? The RE team? The MVC and SF teams? They can't all be working on DLCs that's crazy IMO.

I remember reading that almost 600 people were working on DD...that included the DMC team and obviously many others too.If they are working on the sequel a big number of people must be working on that plus on (the already announced) expansion for the original game.

Top Bottom