• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star wars Battlefront 2 Pro vs 1X vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud_9

Neo Member
I don't think it's even about the power and graphics difference for some of them, but when you've had years of suppression that no longer exists anymore, it was an inevitable backlash. Well, that and the few zealot sony fans claiming some kind of outright victory here just made things worse.

I have a Pro and enjoy it and now have a 1x. Both are great for their own reasons, which everyone here knows already and I can personally say for me I've always enjoyed both platforms (sony/xbox), but I can't deny watching some of the sony fanboy salt hasn't been at least a little bit rewarding. It really was out of hand here and it's at least good to see things evened out finally.

Having said all of that, I doubt we will ever get to the place we would all like, as the only reason GAF may have seemed better in that regard before was due to the banning, ridicule, suppression and shaming of the xbox brand in general, leaving not a lot of people to even take up the argument and those that did quickly became labeled, if not excommunicated.

What we really need is for good modding based on ridiculous fanboy posts from any side, and most especially personal attacks to be put down and put down HARD. There's no need to call anyone junior, or to call someone specific a fanboy (the term in general is fine) or an idiot or any of that nonsense. Just make your opinion known and let it stand w/o fear of being ridiculed, even if it's an unpopular one, unless you are factually wrong, in which case being corrected should happen. But there's far too many posters here who can't let a different opinion stand w/o name calling and shaming. It's really bizarre, especially w/ popular titles or game comparisons (GT v Forza, etc).

I'm willing to bet alot of the newly freed (lol) Xbox fanboys here would rather it be biased in favor of Xbox. They don't want fair, they want it to be an extension of something like a crapgamer comments section.

breakfuss

I'm willing to bet alot of the newly freed (lol) Xbox fanboys here would rather it be biased in favor of Xbox. They don't want fair, they want it to be an extension of something like a crapgamer comments section.

Nah, I bet a lot of people just want to be left alone to enjoy what they enjoy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think it's even about the power and graphics difference for some of them, but when you've had years of suppression that no longer exists anymore, it was an inevitable backlash.
I think you are dramatising a little bit too much here, years of suppression?!?

the only reason GAF may have seemed better in that regard before was due to the banning, ridicule, suppression and shaming of the xbox brand in general

Can you explain to me why GAF seemed better even in 2006/2007? When the forum had a lot more people excited about the Xbox brand, much more people than just a core of diehards, than the PS brand and had a lot lot of flack given to SixAxis, the CELL, the multi platform inferior ports, the Immersion lawsuit, PSN, Linux / Other OS, etc... was it MS sponsored GAF and the check stopped coming in the mail in 2013 hence Sony GAF?

No, in both cases the loudest voice was also the more popular voice and although it could feel oppressive at times to some of the fans of the other console, it was not a conspiracy and it was not a few people annoyingly running around shitting up threads... those were banned on the “winning side” too.

Maybe... just maybe... the Xbox One originale policies, the flip flopping vague statements about the infamous parity clause, the way some fans pushed the good guy CEO image down other people’s throats, the flip flopping vague statements about timed/limited exclusives, etc... pissed a lot people off a great deal? Maybe catching up to the competition in terms of attitude was good but not as worthy of praise as launching in a better state and with a better set of policies? That or all a conspiracy to keep the Xbox brand down...

200w.gif

And you might want to check this:

https://youtu.be/GRt6xf4-GDs
Yea, this is to be expected. The higher you go up in resolution, the less benefits you get. The next frontier for video game visuals is not higher resolutions but significantly improved physics, lighting, shaders, animation and framerate/frame pacing. Those are more readily noticeable than an increased resolution.

I'll never tire of saying this but if Microsoft really wanted to move some one X's, they should tell encourage developers to focus on those things with the extra power. As someone who's been playing at 4k for a while on PC, the extra resolution is entirely unnecessary. The difference between the PC and console version of bf2 is immediately noticeable and it has nothing to do with resolution.

Morbid

Banned
Yea, this is to be expected. The higher you go up in resolution, the less benefits you get. The next frontier for video game visuals is not higher resolutions but significantly improved physics, lighting, shaders, animation and framerate/frame pacing. Those are more readily noticeable than an increased resolution.

I'll never tire of saying this but if Microsoft really wanted to move some one X's, they should tell encourage developers to focus on those things with the extra power. As someone who's been playing at 4k for a while on PC, the extra resolution is entirely unnecessary. The difference between the PC and console version of bf2 is immediately noticeable and it has nothing to do with resolution.

Very true.

shpankey

not an idiot
Panajev, good post and agreed on some counts. But, I don't think it was a conspiracy as much as a reflection of the majority of the community and a number of mods who were out and out Sony fanboys, making it seem worse than it probably was in reality.

I should also note, I have never been banned, going back to the original forum days before even. So this isn't a personal thing for me, just something I noticed through the years. There were some really ugly periods here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Panajev, good post and agreed on some counts. But, I don't think it was a conspiracy as much as a reflection of the majority of the community and a number of mods who were out and out Sony fanboys, making it seem worse than it probably was in reality.
Yeah i agree please dont start this shit all over again.
Neogaf is not sony or xbox.
Just a bunch of kids that are offended that they dont own the fastest console anymore.
Now imagine owning a 190.000 dollar tesla.
And bam you dont have the newest model anymore.

You deal with it.
Imo 4k is not all that.
The only 4k hdr content that impressed me was
Planet 2 on UHD in hdr and some random youtube 4k channel with 5 min clips.

Netflix 4k is a scam and is downright destroying the state of 4k to beginners.

The only reason i would pick the x is because it CAN play uhd discs in 4k hdr. And more games run in 4k.

The ps4 pro however cant and runs even less games in native 4k.

If you dont own a ps4 then get the pro
If you allready own one then dont.

Or better wait for the next GEN dont be a tool for companies.

shpankey

not an idiot
One last question before I retire to play some games since we're so philisophical now. lol

If it's ok for someone to have the opinion that there is no perceivable difference between the two consoles and their games (ie: diminishing returns), why would it not also be ok for someone else to have the opinion that there is a massive gulf between the two versions of the same game and therefor in his opinion one is "shit"?

To me, this is the extreme on either perspective, and for most of us, both would be wrong. However, only one of these is deemed "ok" and the other as fanboy drivel. But both are equal in that they are a single persons opinion not to be discounted just b/c we don't agree. They are at the extremes of the scale.

To be clear, for me, there is definitely a difference worth noting in this game. It's only a matter of if this difference is worth it to you or not. The same as anything in this world, context and relativity is what matters, if something is faster, smarter, leaner, more elegant, nicer, whatever, then it will depend on each person if that's a big deal or not, and/or deemed as insignificant.

Back in the day, my wife liked a cheapo walmart 720p TV, and I liked a high-end plasma 1080p that was really expensive. To her, there was no notable difference, to me, it was like night and day and her TV was "shit" by comparison.There is no right or wrong, only ones own perspective of what's important. For some it will be "I don't see a difference" and for some it will be "one looks like shit by comparison".

But again, the problem here at gaf is just how slanted things have been for so long, that one is acceptable and the other is not. I personally couldn't disagree more w/ both of these. There's definitely a difference and it is very noticeable, but certainly doesn't make the other game or console "shit". But to each his own.

...now for some NHL 18 (on my PS4 Pro)

Bunch of shit

This is what you come back with? The same tired shit that has been addressed already. You show YouTube screen shots to try and prove what resolution the Xbox runs at most of the time? By the way no one said it ran at Native 4K most of the time certainly not DF. They did say that the lowest was 1800p on Xbox and the PS4 Pro never went above 1440p.

There is no performance issue here. 1-2 fps with a much higher resolution. Literally 1-2 fps during taxing moments in the game. Also this is a developer choice, not a hardware issue. If they really wanted those 2fps back they could, but they are logical people not fan boys trying to claim the performance crown so they can sleep at better night.

LOD issue is 1-2 seconds during the scenes initial load. Not an ongoing issue with the XB1X especially less than a month from release. Stop trying to create a narrative.

mad597

Banned
This is what you come back with? The same tired shit that has been addressed already. You show YouTube screen shots to try and prove what resolution the Xbox runs at most of the time? By the way no one said it ran at Native 4K most of the time certainly not DF. They did say that the lowest was 1800p on Xbox and the PS4 Pro never went above 1440p.

There is no performance issue here. 1-2 fps with a much higher resolution. Literally 1-2 fps during taxing moments in the game. Also this is a developer choice, not a hardware issue. If they really wanted those 2fps back they could, but they are logical people not fan boys trying to claim the performance crown so they can sleep at better night.

LOD issue is 1-2 seconds during the scenes initial load. Not an ongoing issue with the XB1X especially less than a month from release. Stop trying to create a narrative.

The only narrative thelastword pushes is Sony = good, MS= bad. Someone should make a browser add on that replaces all his posts with Sony = good, MS= bad and none of the meaning of his posts would ever change and it would save the rest of us having to scroll through his Sony novels of fan fiction.

IMO the biggest area console falls behind pc is a mix between load times and LOD/draw distance

I love Horizon on my Pro but it is slightly immersion killing when bushes pop up 10 feet in front of you

Ubername

Banned
I bet Spencer was waiting on the DF video, and when he saw that X1X smoked the competition he probably rejoiced. I bet he hit up Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai to gloat. Reggie conference called him to join in on the braggadocio but Phil Harrison called to let him know that even though he was retired he still followed the gaming industry and knew along that Spencer would call it right, that Spencer could do it. He only hopes he will see this confirmed in the NPD by NPD gaming analyst Mat Piscitella and possibly mentioned by fellow longtime gaming analyst Michael Pachter.

rokkerkory

I bet Spencer was waiting on the DF video, and when he saw that X1X smoked the competition he probably rejoiced. I bet he hit up Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai to gloat. Reggie conference called him to join in on the braggadocio but Phil Harrison called to let him know that even though he was retired he still followed the gaming industry and knew along that Spencer would call it right, that Spencer could do it. He only hopes he will see this confirmed in the NPD by NPD gaming analyst Mat Piscitella and possibly mentioned by fellow longtime gaming analyst Michael Pachter.

Would be cool if spencer and hirai were chilling at a bar and drinking some beers laughing at all this fanboyism

Nah, I bet a lot of people just want to be left alone to enjoy what they enjoy.

Some people either can't help themselves or are unable to move forward.

I think you are dramatising a little bit too much here, years of suppression?!?

Can you explain to me why GAF seemed better even in 2006/2007? When the forum had a lot more people excited about the Xbox brand, much more people than just a core of diehards, than the PS brand and had a lot lot of flack given to SixAxis, the CELL, the multi platform inferior ports, the Immersion lawsuit, PSN, Linux / Other OS, etc... was it MS sponsored GAF and the check stopped coming in the mail in 2013 hence Sony GAF?

No, in both cases the loudest voice was also the more popular voice and although it could feel oppressive at times to some of the fans of the other console, it was not a conspiracy and it was not a few people annoyingly running around shitting up threads... those were banned on the “winning side” too.

Maybe... just maybe... the Xbox One originale policies, the flip flopping vague statements about the infamous parity clause, the way some fans pushed the good guy CEO image down other people’s throats, the flip flopping vague statements about timed/limited exclusives, etc... pissed a lot people off a great deal? Maybe catching up to the competition in terms of attitude was good but not as worthy of praise as launching in a better state and with a better set of policies? That or all a conspiracy to keep the Xbox brand down...

As I was saying, some refuse to let go of the past.

BigLee74

This is no knock on XBONEX, it's the reality. In many cases devs are trying to push rez too hard on XBONEX and framerate suffers. Perhaps it should be 1620p on XBONEX to maintain a smoother framerate....but I'm sure other outlets will pick this up, this is not 2160p most of the time. I'm pretty sure rez goes below 1800p at times too, though not common at all.

So, an occasional 1-2fps drop, in a 60fps game, merits the res being dropped from 2160 to some random figure pulled out of your ass? There's a reason some bright guys are devs, and others are relegated to spouting rubbish on a forum.

As for the average comment. I said the PS4 PRO averages 1440p and the XBONEX 1800p. Do you think the PRO averages 1296p or the lowest rez that they found, that's not how that works.....

Lowest X drops to is 1800. Highest Pro gets is 1440. Don't worry, I think you get to learn how averages work in about primary 7. Not long now?

Actually, You know what? I am now sure you just do this for a laugh.

mad597

Banned

WTF are you even talking about? Were just happy to not get banned for being openly pro Xbox. You'd get culled by Bish not long ago for being positive about Xbox.

It also helps the X1X more thsn lives up to the hype and is trouncing the PSPro in DF face offs. Sony fans seems to be rattled now that the Mod team isnt coddling them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
WTF are you even talking about? Were just happy to not get banned for being openly pro Xbox. You'd get culled by Bish not long ago for being positive about Xbox.

It also helps the X1X more thsn lives up to the hype and is trouncing the PSPro in DF face offs. Sony fans seems to be rattled now that the Mod team isnt coddling them.

There were never bans because you or others were Pro Xbox, this is an example of revisionist history with a flair for dramatic and persecution complex.

The fact that you cannot be happy without over exaggerating the victories trying to twist the knife in the backs of what you see as your opponents and showing a attitude is also telling: this is not just what you call being positive about Xbox, this is gloating, sometimes borderline PR/astroturfing (“more than lives up to the hype trouncing PSPro”), and noisy behaviour meant to push other posters’ buttons (“I feel sorry for PS4 Pro owners”) and not to engage in any sort of meaningful discussion or disagreement.

Then again you may think that annoying gloating, mocking of the opponents (thinking of them as opponents even), etc... while trying to shove the console of your choice down their throats IS just being a normal fan and here is where we would disagree.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
There were never bans because you or others were Pro Xbox, this is an example of revisionist history with a flair for dramatic and persecution complex.

The fact that you cannot be happy without over exaggerating the victories trying to twist the knife in the backs of what you see as your opponents and showing a attitude is also telling: this is not just what you call being positive about Xbox, this is gloating, sometimes borderline PR/astroturfing (“more than lives up to the hype trouncing PSPro”), and noisy behaviour meant to push other posters’ buttons (“I feel sorry for PS4 Pro owners”) and not to engage in any sort of meaningful discussion or disagreement.

Then again you may think that annoying gloating, mocking of the opponents (thinking of them as opponents even), etc... while trying to show the console of your choice down their throats IS just being a normal fan and here is where we would disagree.

this is why threads like this end up being stupid, up until the X came out it was flame wars on the pro's behalf winning everything and people who had the pro downplaying the Xbox one version and now its the opposite way round.

Befor the X hit sony console owners (not calling them fanboys on purpose) were saying they wont put the investment in games on the x because there will be so few X's about and why waste the money.If you don't believe that just look through older posts on this forum and you will see.

so threads like these always gonna be a mess. Battlefront 2 on the pro looks excellent and still extremely playable while the X version looks better and extremely playable. my point is they are both realy good looking games. the last battlefront was extremely good looking on the lesser hardware to so well done Dice

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
this is why threads like this end up being stupid, up until the X came out it was flame wars on the pro's behalf winning everything and people who had the pro downplaying the Xbox one version and now its the opposite way round.

Befor the X hit sony console owners (not calling them fanboys on purpose) were saying they wont put the investment in games on the x because there will be so few X's about and why waste the money.If you don't believe that just look through older posts on this forum and you will see.

I have been around for a while and while some did, and some were also banned, it does not call for retribution (two wrongs do not make a right) and it was not as bad as some people are trying to portray it as: it really is getting framed as Xbox fans thrown to the lions because they professed their kind and gentle appreciation of Xbox in a place designed to undermine the Xbox brand... it is wrong at best...

dcll

Banned
This thread is an embarrassment for gamers in general, it is ridiculous how childish people act(both "sides")

Cloud_9

Neo Member

It seems like you guys are the ones who need coddling if you're thus upset over the mods on an internet forum.

mad597

Banned

The fact that you cannot be happy without over exaggerating the victories trying to twist the knife in the backs of what you see as your opponents and showing a attitude is also telling: this is not just what you call being positive about Xbox, this is gloating, sometimes borderline PR/astroturfing (”more than lives up to the hype trouncing PSPro"), and noisy behaviour meant to push other posters' buttons (”I feel sorry for PS4 Pro owners") and not to engage in any sort of meaningful discussion or disagreement.

Then again you may think that annoying gloating, mocking of the opponents (thinking of them as opponents even), etc... while trying to shove the console of your choice down their throats IS just being a normal fan and here is where we would disagree.

C9UoXP4XcAA_TH7.jpg:large

Yep mods were "fair and balanced" just like Fox news

Or here

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/d...f-you-moderately-like-the-xbox-one.453267113/

Threads like this are why I post less and less on GAF.

Jeez, what an embarrassment. All the rabid fanboys and trolls in here should be ashamed of themselves.

Bramble

IMO the biggest area console falls behind pc is a mix between load times and LOD/draw distance

I love Horizon on my Pro but it is slightly immersion killing when bushes pop up 10 feet in front of you

You should send in your Pro for repairs in that case. I don't have any pop-in in HZD at 10 ft in front of me.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
so back on track the game looks great, am having loads of fun with it at the moment. single player was a bit short but it looked realy good reguardless

shpankey

not an idiot
so back on track the game looks great, am having loads of fun with it at the moment. single player was a bit short but it looked realy good reguardless
Not an online multiplayer gamer myself (anymore anyhow, too old lol). Is this worth it for single player alone? Also, any co-operative modes available? tia

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not an online multiplayer gamer myself (anymore anyhow, too old lol). Is this worth it for single player alone? Also, any co-operative modes available? tia

single player is good but short, there is an arcade mode but I haven't tried this as of yet. if its similar to the last battlefront it will have you on the maps vs various stormtropers ect.

I wouldn't but this game just for single player content alone though

amdb00mer

I am a pro owner, I figured I would buy my last Jaguar console in 2016 and it would see me through until we get a decent Ryzen console.

I have had over a year out of Pro, one more and I can ditch it for good hopefully.

X looks OK but too late, not paying for a year of X to be replaced, it still has the same absolutely shit CPU.

Nothing to be sorry about really, both Pro and X are half arsed, one was a year earlier.

I have to disagree. While I like my Pro, my X is far superior and more thought out. They made sure to increase the crappy Jaguar enough to hit 60FPS more often than the pro. They made sure all games got a boost in framerate and image quality without having to turn on a boost mode and they also tested all games for compatibility. They also had the foresight to include 12GB of ram with 9GB available to devs, was going to be 8, but devs wanted 9 to make sure they could load in the high-resolution textures. They also have incorporated special instruction sets on the custom Jaguar based on data collected from mainline game engines (Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc..) to identify and eliminate or mitigate most bottlenecks. The X is the better-planned system. Too bad it was not the day one system for this generation.

rokkerkory

Sure PC willl always be top but You cannot build a PC with same performance and features as an X for $500. At least not right now anyways.

nevermind, will PM him instead, this is off topic

But yes, HZD had plenty of LOD and texture pop in issues, and I sent him links to my youtube videos proving it

deathsaber

Wow massive difference on consoles in favor of the X, I feel sorry for Pro owners who shelled out $400 for a half assed console expecting it to hold up the rest of the gen.

And then there is the remaining 80+% of us with original ps4's on plain ole' HDTV's running it at 900p with pretty steady 60 fps and it is "holding up" just fine for a state of the art mid-to-late generation game.

Krisprolls

Banned
nevermind, will PM him instead, this is off topic

But yes, HZD had plenty of LOD and texture pop in issues, and I sent him links to my youtube videos proving it

Never saw any pop in or LOD issue... By the way you'd be hard pressed to find something as beautiful as HZD on any platform (my recent PC included), even playing in 8K.

mad597

Banned
And then there is the remaining 80+% of us with original ps4's on plain ole' HDTV's running it at 900p with pretty steady 60 fps and it is "holding up" just fine for a state of the art mid-to-late generation game.

Well considering this is a DF thread why did you even come in here? X1X is the best place to play the game on consoles, if you don't want to hear that then you should probably stay out of DF threads, go create yourself a happy with 900P thread for it.

deathsaber

I predict that we won't get our hands on a new generation console until 2020 or late 2019 and won't see anything about it until 2019 E3

Both consoles should do fine in the next 2/3 years

All of these new junior members spouting rubbish, I'm an owner of the One X but this is just embarrassing.

Agree, I don't think MS will be making any new console in at least three years- they could just declare the X the new standard and make it the defacto next-gen if they want.

Also, I think Sony is plenty happy milking the cash cow with high userbase for at least just as long.

And Nintendo has the best selling console in the world right now that's firmly in plain old 1080p land right now (with lots of games only rendering at 720p).

Where Sony and MS are concerned- both machines have great looking games, running great on TV's most the population haven't even upgraded to yet. Don't see why there even needs to be a new generation.

I don't really care about what's "state of the art" on PC- that's a niche, and consoles are all about mass market, and there needs to be another year or two for 4k along to start saturating more into homes, before there really is a need for a new generation.

JP

I have played the campaign for about an hour and I'm really not as impressed with how it looks as I expected to be, it just seems inconsistent in places. That seems to be so on both of the tested consoles, really not sure why.

Also, what the hell have they done to the videos in the game? They look a little like VCD videos and they don't appear to have been toned for HDR at all, really disappointing.

Malcolm9

Well considering this is a DF thread why did you even come in here? X1X is the best place to play the game on consoles, if you don't want to hear that then you should probably stay out of DF threads, go create yourself a happy with 900P thread for it.

Just because the X is powerful doesn't mean it's the best console to play it on. From a graphical point of view it's a yes, but if your friends/family are on a different platform then it's not the case.

The Pro version still looks fantastic regardless.

rokkerkory

Just because the X is powerful doesn't mean it's the best console to play it on. From a graphical point of view it's a yes, but if your friends/family are on a different platform then it's not the case.

The Pro version still looks fantastic regardless.

Well DF doesn't really compare family and friends in their videos now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom