• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Twisted Metal coming 2011, release date announcement soon

Ploid 3.0

davidjaffe said:
First off, thanks for planning on buying the game! Much, much appreciated! :)

As for...

(cutt for space)

...with, I doubt we're going to convert you with this title.

David

Because of this reply alone, I'm going to preorder this game. I was going to buy it anyway, but seeing how you showed me how excited you are about this TM, and how you went on about TM2, and Black, and wanting cool stuff (thanks for doing this TM man), I can't help but to want to see you and ESP do well. Stay away from skydiving though, if it's one of the things you want to do that is.

I hope there are lots of spots like that swimming pool area in rooftops from TM2. My favorite room in the game as Spectre.

I just did a google search on TM and found a quote from this thread apparently.

"Yes, we've discussed revisiting old levels down the road if the core game is a success enough to warrant it (i.e. Paris, Bowl from TM2, Rooftops f"

That would be awesome.

The possibility of DLC in GT5, now TM PS3? My old PS1 self is getting giddy at all of the stuff DLC could do to keep the party going in these games.

shwimpy

Patriotsbball5460 said:
I think he was saying, 'we want unlockables, and don't nickel and dime us over pseudo-DLC that in previous games would have been normal unlockables. That's how I took it anyways..

Yeah... I think he's saying please don't pull a Ubisoft or Crapcom and blantantly cut portions of the game and sell them as DLC later.

Canova

Banned
davidjaffe said:
unlockables (don't be stingy :) we hate it when studio nickle and dime us )/QUOTE]

I don't understand. Unlockables or DLC? How can we nickel and dime you with unlocks?

basically I'm just saying that players love unlockables, put different unlockables in different difficulty levels, and I guarantee you most fans would spend the time to unlock them all

I hope the learning curve isn't too harsh. I remember buying Warhawk about 8 months after it's realease & it was impossible to become a decent player in that game.

Cactus

Banned
mysticwhip said:
I hope the learning curve isn't too harsh. I remember buying Warhawk about 8 months after it's realease & it was impossible to become a decent player in that game.

If it's anything like the previous titles (can't see why it wouldn't be) then that should not be a problem. Very arcadey, very pick-up and play, and multiple control options. Once you get the basics down, you'll be alright.

gogogow

shwimpy said:
Yeah... I think he's saying please don't pull a Ubisoft or Crapcom and blantantly cut portions of the game and sell them as DLC later.
Don't know about Ubisoft, don't have many games from them, but Versus mode in RE5 wasn't even cut lol, it was already on the disc. You were buying a unlock key which was 1.86mb IIRC.

Empty

glad to hear there is a demo planned. jaffe's posts in this thread have me really interested but i've never played the series before, nor any other car combat game, and like to check things out for myself before taking risks on expensive new games.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Patriotsbball5460 said:
davidjaffe said:
I think he was saying, 'we want unlockables, and don't nickel and dime us over pseudo-DLC that in previous games would have been normal unlockables. That's how I took it anyways..

I see. The game WILL have unlockables. I also think we are planning DLC. As for day 1 DLC, maybe but maybe not.

If we DO day 1 DLC be aware we are very aware of the fans perception that if content is done when the game ships then it should be on the disc. Also be aware that:

a- there are possible reasons this simply can not be that have to do with things that- once we announce certain things (assuming those certain things occur)- will make a lot more sense.

b- Our biggest commitment is to guarantee people who buy our game get amazing value and feel taken care of and treated like the super important people to us that they are. So if you pay for our game, we will be failures if you don't feel you've gotten an amazing product and an amazing value. However, I don't buy into the idea that just because the developer has content ready before the game ships that the customer is entitled to all of that content in the initial purchase price of the game. A guy on my twitter account put it best (and I'm paraphrasing): you don't go into McDonalds and order a large french fry and assume that- just because there are more fries that are in the bin in the back, waiting to be boxed up- that your 1.75 (or however much fries cost) entitles you to every french fry in the store just because it's already been cooked. As a customer, you have a right (and in my mind a responsibility) to tell McDonald's to fuck off if they charge more cash for a product than you deem appropriate. But if you feel you get your money's worth for the product you have purchased (and I always think the customer should feel they've gotten MORE than their money is worth) then I don't think you are entitled to everything else just because it's ready at time you make your purchase.

David

AwShucks

You mentioned earlier in the topic that you use the right stick to look up at helicopters. Does this mean no dual-stick control scheme for driving? Maybe I was one of the few, but I always used the control schemes that used both sticks. I guess finding a way to look up would prove difficult if the right stick was used for driving related functions.

r1chard

Really looking forward to this - loved TM and TM2! IIRC TM was one of the first games I owned on the original Playstation (alongside Warhawk). Memory's a bit fuzzy these days tho :)

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
AwShucks said:
You mentioned earlier in the topic that you use the right stick to look up at helicopters. Does this mean no dual-stick control scheme for driving? Maybe I was one of the few, but I always used the control schemes that used both sticks. I guess finding a way to look up would prove difficult if the right stick was used for driving related functions.

The plan is to support multiple control configs including dual stick driving but it's not in and working at the moment. But that is the hope.

Cactus said:
If it's anything like the previous titles (can't see why it wouldn't be) then that should not be a problem. Very arcadey, very pick-up and play, and multiple control options. Once you get the basics down, you'll be alright.
Nice to hear. I remember loving the original on the PSOne

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
red shoe paul said:
Are we going to see older maps like France and shit redesigned for at least Multiplayer?

We may do France and other maps (HD with some added elements) as DLC but not for launch. Launch is all new maps.

David

Ploid 3.0

davidjaffe said:
1- Only 3rd person cameras yes. We just don't have the memory for interiors. And as cool as they look, the gameplay suffers a lot for most players when playing a game like this from driver POV. I know some people dug it in TM1 (and I loved it, cool wise) but those peeps were in the minority and so we decided to use our memory elsewhere. The view in the trailer is probably not going to make it in the game because it causes a lot of strange visual bugs when you hit jumps and go over hills and undulating terrain. If we have time we can address those bugs but if not, it's a view I'd like to add in via an update down the road if we can.

Since this is a competitive game, first person would only be good for lining up careful shots like that sniper thing. Anyone that played Socom 1 or 2 knows how much awareness you gain from being in third person. Even in GT5 I feel limited in cockpit and that's just linear racing. (I don't use 3rd person chase in GT5, I'm just blind on my sides usually).

Cactus

Banned
davidjaffe said:
We may do France and other maps (HD with some added elements) as DLC but not for launch. Launch is all new maps.

David

A TM2 map pack would be awesome. The nostalgia hit would be unbelievable. I'd definitely support that day 1 if you guys decide to do it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Will all the weapons still be floating power-ups or do players have the option to spend resources to acquire them like CS?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Since this is a competitive game, first person would only be good for lining up careful shots like that sniper thing. Anyone that played Socom 1 or 2 knows how much awareness you gain from being in third person. Even in GT5 I feel limited in cockpit and that's just linear racing. (I don't use 3rd person chase in GT5, I'm just blind on my sides usually).

And just so you know, the sniper is not REALLY a sniper rifle (could not get it working at such high speeds). Instead it's like the reticule in TMB where if you keep enemy in your sites for X seconds, the sniper reticule fills up. The longer you keep it on the enemy (who has a red laser site on him, so he/she knows they are targeted) you get more and more powerful shots. So:

3-6 seconds= tire shot (Flips enemy car and does 13 pts of damage)
6-12seconds= body shot (20 pts)
12-20 seconds= gas tank shot (big explosion and 30 pts)
20+ seconds= head shot= mega damage in SP and instant death head shot in MP

Numbers subject to change during tuning.

David

How many guys do you have at Eat. Sleep. Play now? You must have done a fair amount of bulking up for Twisted Metal. How many of the Incognito (RIP) guys came with you?

Does Scott visit here much? He seems like a cool guy.

P.S got around to playing Epic Mickey yet? I know you are a huge Disney fan. I still have my Megadrive in my room with a boxed copy of Mickey Mania around. Might fire it up.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
SapientWolf said:
Will all the weapons still be floating power-ups or do players have the option to spend resources to acquire them like CS?

Floating power ups. One of the goals of the game is to create strong, cat and mouse style battles and relationships between players. None of this 'step out of a building, get shot within 2-5 seconds, die and respawn' pacing of most FPS games.

Because of this, players have a lot more Hit Points. Because of this, we still use a power up/pick up game. Otherwise players would just stand in front of each other and pound the fire buttons over and over. So the pick ups are used to motivate players to move around the levels and create pro/con areas of the map for players to fight on (i.e. putting a great power up on the edge of a building for example or a health pick up at the top of a parking garage thus creating opportunities for a car that is about to die in a Last Man Standing game to get engaged in a thrilling chase as he races to get the health while his enemy is right on his tail, trying to kill him as he spirals up the various floors to reach the top).

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Nice chatting ya'll! Gotta get back to work. Long night of documentation ahead of me! Thanks for the interest in the game!

We're working hard to make ya'll love it! I'm sure you'll be the first to tell us if we fuck up! But I think we'll do good! :)

Later!

David

yencid

davidjaffe said:
Floating power ups. One of the goals of the game is to create strong, cat and mouse style battles and relationships between players. None of this 'step out of a building, get shot within 2-5 seconds, die and respawn' pacing of most FPS games.

Because of this, players have a lot more Hit Points. Because of this, we still use a power up/pick up game. Otherwise players would just stand in front of each other and pound the fire buttons over and over. So the pick ups are used to motivate players to move around the levels and create pro/con areas of the map for players to fight on (i.e. putting a great power up on the edge of a building for example or a health pick up at the top of a parking garage thus creating opportunities for a car that is about to die in a Last Man Standing game to get engaged in a thrilling chase as he races to get the health while his enemy is right on his tail, trying to kill him as he spirals up the various floors to reach the top).
This is one of the things i loved most about warhawk, cant wait for this.

Cactus

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Very disappointed that it's really just a sweet tooth game. I wanted the full cast back including outlaw and axel and calypso

Calypso is in the game.

EDIT: Axel's vehicle is also in the game, and maybe even Outlaw's (no word about that yet)

Cruzader

Banned
Jaffe....Twisted Metal Black + Lost Levels....HD love? Yes or No?

Thats the motherF'ing question you have to answer.

Grayman

Thanks for coming by David and chatting with the fans of your games. It is a connection that very few go out and make.

I had not seen the E3 videos yet and the game is looking like a great update. Cannot wait to put a chainsaw into the ghostbusters ambulance!

.la1n

Ok that McDonalds example of why DLC is okay even when completed prior to the games shipment is stupid. It doesn't even make sense comparing those two types of business. As a gamer, and I'll admit their are fewer like me out there anymore, if a company expects i'm going to go above and beyond my initial buy in price to purchase items that could have easily been included upon initial purchase then they are sorely mistaken.

However if this add on content happens to be something of value, something that really represents an additional five dollar purchase then okay i'm game. The only example of this I have come across is Dead Rising Case Zero. I welcome others to do the same but you have to realise that as a gamer we have truly been nickled and dimed to death this generation with content that is of little real value and yes should have absolutely been included upon the initial purchase.

Apple to Oranges I guess but i'm willing to go out on a limb and say this pricing model will not last, not in it's current state. People will blindly buy for only so long.

T-Matt

davidjaffe said:
Not a mega fan of CEs but I have heard rumblings of a CE. But nothing set in stone at all. I think if we did one we've talked of including one of the masks as well as other stuff but there really is no announcement. We may not do a CE at all (and I kind of hope we don't). I think the game needs to be the game. A single edition. If people love it- and we hope they will- then we can release special editions and such. But I do know some people love the CEs.

Hell, I'd love to sell lots of TM toys and schwag but just sell them as separate items and not tie them to a CE.

David
Premium edition with Sweet tooth R/C car pretty please.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
.la1n said:
Ok that McDonalds example of why DLC is okay even when completed prior to the games shipment is stupid. It doesn't even make sense comparing those two types of business. As a gamer, and I'll admit their are fewer like me out there anymore, if a company expects i'm going to go above and beyond my initial buy in price to purchase items that could have easily been included upon initial purchase then they are sorely mistaken.

However if this add on content happens to be something of value, something that really represents an additional five dollar purchase then okay i'm game. The only example of this I have come across is Dead Rising Case Zero. I welcome others to do the same but you have to realise that as a gamer we have truly been nickled and dimed to death this generation with content that is of little real value and yes should have absolutely been included upon the initial purchase.

Apple to Oranges I guess but i'm willing to go out on a limb and say this pricing model will not last, not in it's current state. People will blindly buy for only so long.
Historic data has shown that the best time for DLC, from a revenue point of view, is around the 1 month launch window of a game. Therefore, DLC is typically planned and budgeted for before a game is even completed. DLC is often used to extend the life of a successful game for months or even years after release, but it is also used in lieu of a price raise, since it's easier to make a $60 decision and two $10 decisions than an $80 decision.

Budgets are a function of sales expectations, which DLC factors into. So it's still possible that certain features wouldn't have made it in the game at all if launch window DLC wasn't an option, because the development costs would put the game over budget due to lower revenue expectations.

To use another fast food analogy, many restaurants will sell certain food items at near cost in order to create opportunities to sell more drinks (DLC), which are far more profitable.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You said something like "People who buy our game get amazing value and feel taken care of and treated like the super important people to us that they are." a couple of times.

Probably is the first time ive heard (read) a dev saying that... and i really like it. :lol
Thanks for all the info and for being so kind... where is the 'YO MAMA SUXXS' Jaffe? :lol

Ploid 3.0

Jaffe isn't like most devs. There are others like him, blizzard, Insomniac, and Sidhe's Mario Wynands seem to do things for their game's communities. Remember Jaffe playing people in CAC and if you beat him you got something? Game nights with Insomniac. I don't have a blizzard game. Mario sharing info to fans of Sidhe's next game or current plans for past games (example Shatter update stuff, and soundtrack).

I like when devs get down and connect to the fans. It shows that they care at least a little. The opposite is Square Enix, which just seem to give the impression that we'll eat it no matter how it tastes.

I don't even feel sorry for SE about FFXIV, I'm actually finding it very funny. They abused my patience with ffxi. Their skill in avoiding questions are proven even when reporters were sent to their fan events designed to answer question people are having with their mmo. SE is a pro of not caring, the language barrier can't even be used as an excuse for how they act. The Japanese customers can't even get answers from them. However now that they are in trouble they are more than happy to talk, pretend to care, and explain why they decided to do things. Jaffe didn't even have to be pushed to talk about why he didn't use cockpit for cars, and he didn't use a answer that hid possible problems with implementing it (memory resources).

Bukana

David Jaffe, Please tell me, is Twister gonna be available in the game, at launch !?

She would be an awesome fit to these maps and especially Nuke-Mode.

Thank you,

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Bukana said:
David Jaffe, Please tell me, is Twister gonna be available in the game, at launch !?

She would be an awesome fit to these maps and especially Nuke-Mode.

Thank you,

We all love Twister! But my answer is we don't know yet. Sorry :(. I'm not messing with you- we've got a batch of cars we want to put in and she's in that group but we don't know if we'll get them all in time for launch.

Twister was amazingly fun on that map in TM2 with the looping highway. Flipping everyone around during pileups used to have my friends and I cracking up.

David Jaffe: Any chance you can add in the ability to pick up tourists and have to drop them off at various sites throughout the level?

Bukana

davidjaffe said:
We all love Twister! But my answer is we don't know yet. Sorry :(. I'm not messing with you- we've got a batch of cars we want to put in and she's in that group but we don't know if we'll get them all in time for launch.

I understand, you have many plans/options/and other stuff to decide.

If she is not in the final version, please add her as a DLC.

And thank you for your honesty and sharing.

As far as classic I just want to see the TMB level where you start out on theon the storm tossed prison ship and them come ashore. Can't remember the name by my god that level was epic to see for the first time.

Dubbedinenglish said:
As far as classic I just want to see the TMB level where you start out on theon the storm tossed prison ship and them come ashore. Can't remember the name by my god that level was epic to see for the first time.
The most epic level forever in TM series was the paris level from TM2, especially that Eiffel Tower part :D

KAL2006

Banned
Everything is pretty cool in this game. The only thing I still don't like is that we don't get the full cast, I prefer all the characters to have their own vehicles. I don't like that sweetooth can use Mr Grims motorbike. I know they chose to have only 4 groups (clowns, dollface and etc) for multiplayer factions and to have 4 storylines in campaign mode. But the multiplayer factions could have been done by having a colored cursor around a vehicle so you know what team the person is on. Characters having their own vehicles is what gave them personality. For example a cop having the outlaw car, Mr Grim looking like ghostrider on the motorbike, sweetooth and the icecream truck and etc. Jaffe is it too late to change things.

Ploid 3.0

Dubbedinenglish said:

Prison Passage.

Yeah Paris, Sky Scraper rooftops TM2, and that prison stage were pretty nice. Paris wins though. It's like Prison + rooftops all in one (You get access to roof tops. Not as big as the island though).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
David, Can I ask what you thought of Twisted metal head on's multi player? It was my favorite multi player game of all time and I cant help but wonder if this game will be drastically different to play online.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
davidjaffe said:
It is too early. Let me check ,see where we are with that. I fucking hate that but it may be unavoidable. But perhaps not. Honestly, have not even thought to discuss it with the team. Will check, get back to you assuming Sony says it's cool to release that info now.

David

Yay then Boo! Just gotta have hope I guess. Its nice to startup a game and be able ta play it from the getgo (so no day 1 patches either please). Also please make it so there aren't a zillion company logos to sit through or make 'em quickly skippable or something!

davidjaffe said:
I see. The game WILL have unlockables. I also think we are planning DLC.

Unlockables are always nice except when they're to hard to unlock but instead of having cheat codes most devs would instead sell unlock code save file "dlc" -.-; but you're not one of those kinds of devs right?!

Ninja Scooter said:
David Jaffe: Any chance you can add in the ability to pick up tourists and have to drop them off at various sites throughout the level?

That'd be awesome ^_^!

Cactus

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

I can't imagine that any of the contestants in a Twisted Metal tournament would want to give a tourist a lift around the city while psychopaths in armored cars are pummeling them with fire missiles...

I mean, it's easier (and more fun) just to run them down :D

Grayman

Cactus said:
I can't imagine that any of the contestants in a Twisted Metal tournament would want to give a tourist a lift around the city while psychopaths in armored cars are pummeling them with fire missiles...

I mean, it's easier (and more fun) just to run them down :D
Those twisted metal contestants are so crazy that they are liable to do anything!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
FootNinja said:
David, Can I ask what you thought of Twisted metal head on's multi player? It was my favorite multi player game of all time and I cant help but wonder if this game will be drastically different to play online.

I didn't play it much but from what I did play my take was that it was really fun but it was a bit too straight forward for my tastes. I think one of the reasons Scott, Kellan, and I are such a good design team is because we all bring a set of game desires to the table that compliment each other. Scott is much more straight forward, pick up and play, arcade. I love that but I also want more depth and skill and strategy. I sometimes push too hard to the point that it's like, 'Dude, TM ain't fucking chess'...and Scott sometimes pushes too hard in his direction where it's like, 'Ok, this thing is fun and a great party game but it needs more meat on the bones'.

Since Scott was the only Game Director on Head On (we share the duties of Game Director when we work on titles together), it really reflected more of his design sensibilities. And so I really dug it and thought it was fun but it lacked- for me- the sense of depth and tactics that I like in games like Twisted. For me, Scott at his very best as a solo Game Director game can be experienced in Downhill Domination. It didn't sell what I know they wanted it to, but damn, it was addictive arcade fun!

David

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
davidjaffe said:
I didn't play it much but from what I did play my take was that it was really fun but it was a bit too straight forward for my tastes. I think one of the reasons Scott, Kellan, and I are such a good design team is because we all bring a set of game desires to the table that compliment each other. Scott is much more straight forward, pick up and play, arcade. I love that but I also want more depth and skill and strategy. I sometimes push too hard to the point that it's like, 'Dude, TM ain't fucking chess'...and Scott sometimes pushes too hard in his direction where it's like, 'Ok, this thing is fun and a great party game but it needs more meat on the bones'.

Since Scott was the only Game Director on Head On (we share the duties of Game Director when we work on titles together), it really reflected more of his design sensibilities. And so I really dug it and thought it was fun but it lacked- for me- the sense of depth and tactics that I like in games like Twisted. For me, Scott at his very best as a solo Game Director game can be experienced in Downhill Domination. It didn't sell what I know they wanted it to, but damn, it was addictive arcade fun!

David
Thanks for the input, you are fucking incredible.

Unicorn

+1 for twister!

Also, the Grasshopper / Calypso dynamic in TM2 was awesome. Hope for more in the future as you said you'd like this new TM to be a launching pad for the franchise, leading me to believe if this does well, we'll see more in the way of DLC or a sequel.

The TM1 FMVs that were cut originally were great for their cheese, but this time around is it srs bizness? What are your ideas for where to go with the series after this new game lands? Too early to tell? Need to wait for fan reaction?

AAK

davidjaffe said:
Would love to but alas, no Paris in this game. But we may do it as DLC! Does that at least get us 2 copies from you?!? :)

:0 Jaffe responded to my retarded comment! For your patience, honesty, and love for the medium, I will purchase this game for myself, my friend, and my brother in law! :D

Keep being the f'n MAN, Your fellow gamer from Canada!

Top Bottom