• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Team Meat game officially announced: Mew-Genics

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
mew-frengers.jpg

Masterpiece.

That's it, I'm going to listen to this album next. Brilliant stuff.

On topic, I'm in. Team Meat knows their stuff.

sixghost

I've always disliked the prevalence of internet humor in Team Meat games. I can't imagine this will be an exception given the title and subject.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I love these guys however DOGS >>>>> cats
SMB is pure platforming percocet!

Check out Indie Game the movie on Netflix always respected Team Meat it's cool to see how passionate about games that they are.

Side note: Always thought Braid sucked that film gave a clearer window on how much Johnathan Blow lives up to his surname.

dan2026

Isaac was one of the worse optimized games I have ever played.
Ran like crap. And to this day I still don't believe they've fixed it.

I hope this is a better effort.

Elixist

That was random and uncalled for. With one game he totally changed people's expectations for stories in indie games.

agreed. I dint care for Braid, I hated how it looked honestly (artstyle). But I do enjoy J-Blo's insight into gaming and his thought process.

This isn't a flash game like Isaac, and a Team Meat game so it's programmed by Tommy. Also should be in Tommys new engine, which if I am remembering right, should make for a much smoother Mac port than SMB had.

Yanksfan

This isn't a flash game like Isaac, and a Team Meat game so it's programmed by Tommy. Also should be in Tommys new engine, which if I am remembering right, should make for a much smoother Mac port than SMB had.

Yea, this is way different. I wouldn't judge the merits of this game in comparison to Isaac if you did not enjoy it.

dan2026

Yea, this is way different. I wouldn't judge the merits of this game in comparison to Isaac if you did not enjoy it.

I enjoyed Isaac's gameplay fine. I just wish it didn't run like dog-poop.
Will keep an eye on this new game though, looks cool.

http://edmundm.com/post/36971020808/mew-genics-mega-teaser-6-thats-right

Mew-Genics Mega teaser #6!
that’s right over 12,207,031,250,000,000,000,000 cats will be featured in Mew-Genics, the image is actually from a cut scene so ignore the fact that there are really only around 6 cats in there :)
fun fact, this number doesnt take into account mutation.. just realized that. so yeah that number is a lot smaller than the actual number of cats, its basically only the number of non-mutants.
GOTTA BREED EM ALL!

So yeah, Mew-Genics will feature over 12,207,031,250,000,000,000,000 cats. its easy to assume you and your friends wont ever have the same cat. technically that number only applies to how the cat looks, if you include its personality variables that number multiplies by A LOT.. not to mention the ability variables, personal stats and a ton more secret stuff we will talk about later on.

basically you'll never get the same cat twice, unless you clone them, and even then depending on their childhood they still wont act the same...
anyway, CATS! HOLY HELL!

Glix

Considering that SMB is wonderfully optimized, I wouldn't worry. BOI was a different dev team. (and I agree with you about it and he should patch in Joy support instead of being a baby/asshole about it)

MNC

Considering that SMB is wonderfully optimized, I wouldn't worry. BOI was a different dev team. (and I agree with you about it and he should patch in Joy support instead of being a baby/asshole about it)

SMB was horribly optimized since the way the game is made it allows for freaking desyncing of the game and haxxingz in the leaderboards!!!!

Glix

SMB was horribly optimized since the way the game is made it allows for freaking desyncing of the game and haxxingz in the leaderboards!!!!

I was just saying it runs great compared to BOI, and I would assume that SMB is a lot more taxing.

ArynCrinn

Banned

This is true, it was terribly optimized, not even polished in a lot of ways. I'd love to see a unofficial patch hit one of these days that turns it into a perfected stable and optimized well-greased machine!

MewGenics sounds cool though, hope to see some gameplay soon.

That's basically due to Flash sucking and nothing else.

flowsnake

I don't think it's flash.

It's nothing more than Edmund stated himself...

The biggest downfall of The Binding of Isaac is its performance. Isaac was designed in Flash using ActionScript 2; that's what Florian could program in, so those were the limitations we had to work around. Sadly, Flash AS2 is quite outdated, and even with all the amazing work Florian put in, we simply couldn't get the game to run well on lower-end PCs. Flash even had major issues with PCs that used dual-core processors, so even PCs with amazing specs would slow down at times.

If I had known that anyone would have cared about Isaac, I wouldn't have made it in Flash at all.

It's also the reason for the lack of controller support.

bon

Are Mr. Tinkles and Butch supposed to be identical twins or is that just Edmund's character design at work?

Right when I decide not to buy games in 2013, someone has to res this thread.

With one game he totally changed people's expectations for stories in indie games.

... no he didn't.

How come whenever anyone says anything negative about Blow, someone else has to come in with an insanely positive hyperbole?

What is this? The Godus thread?

http://supermeatboy.com/129/Mew_Genics_Teaser_week_7/#b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pgTSElbhtfU

I give you the title screen track for Mew-Genics (Cat Chase)

So we really splurged with the soundtrack for Mew-genics, the game will feature a full album of over 20 studio recorded songs, with more than half of them with lyrics! we really wanted to make the games music feature extended themes of the game or small stories within each song, kind of how Katamari did it in a way, except all our songs are about cats!

The Mew-genics album is being written and composed by Matthias Bossi and Jon Evans. a few of you will know Matthias as the narator voice in The Binding of Isaac, others might know him from the band Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum, but here are more indepth details on the album, special music guests and more!

------

Mew-Genics music credits/bio:

Music By Matthias Bossi and Jon Evans - With Special Guests Sasha Dobson, Carla Kihlstedt, Geoff Pearlman, and Chandler Travis.

BIO BLURB:

Drummer/Composer Matthias Bossi (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Skeleton Key, The Book Of Knots) and Bassist/Engineer/Producer Jon Evans (Tori Amos, Linda Perry) somehow simultaneously and magically moved to the same tiny fishing village in Massachusetts. When they're not making music together, they drink coffee and chop wood.

Stalwarts of the San Francisco Bay Area music scene, they have toured the world and made records with an enormously diverse range of artists, from Pretty Lights, St. Vincent, John Vanderslice, and the Tiger Lillies, to Tin Hat Trio, Boz Scaggs, Vanessa Carleton, and Third Eye Blind.

They fucking LOVE cats....

megalowho

I think I'm starting to get a bit sick of Edmund's art style. Is that even possible?
I've never liked his style, has an unpleasant webcomic feel and there's not a lot of range there tonally, but I always imagined that to be a somewhat unpopular opinion. Still very interested in their games.

875mc.jpg

http://edmundm.com/post/38012374909/caturday-mew-genics-gameplay-teaser-its-the

Caturday Mew-Genics gameplay teaser!

Its the Trinket Display Case! WHAT COULD IT BE USED FOR!?

Spoiler, its used to break the rules of existence! Trinkets could be found in almost anything… you could find them in your backyard, your attic, inside a mysterious package or possibly inside your cats butt.. who knows.. but they are there if you just look hard enough and long enough.. they are all around you!

Trinkets are a very small, but vital part of mew-genics… you’ll discover why in time, but we currently have discovered 105 trinkets in Boon County, we are pretty sure there are more.. but each one has slightly different properties.. so collecting them all is basically impossible.. and i like those odds… i wonder if there is a trinket to change those… 

http://supermeatboy.com/130/Mew_Genics_Teaser_week_8/#b

As you play Mew-Genics stuff will appear.. "stuff" meaning food, poop, barf, kittens, mail... etc. this stuff is quite common of course... but did you know that sometimes these things appear imbued with magic properties that change space and time?! well its true!

the key to finding and using said mystical objects is acquiring your 1st Trinket Display Case (Tink is the man you'll want to talk to about this). this case can hold 15 Trinkets, and utilize the properties of one, the active item obviously being "The Petrified Poop".

Currently there are 105 Trinket types in the game, each trinkets properties are semi randomly generated, so there is a good chance that a friends petrified poop wont be the same as yours, THANK GOD! i mean how embarrassing would it be if both of you came to the dance with the same petrified poop! MORTIFIED!

Meesh

That one pic is...weird? Cats that reproduce by budding...almost has a gremlins vibe going on. Welp...I'm in.

http://supermeatboy.com/132/Mew_Genics_Teaser_week_10/#b
Are you ready to win your 1st kitty tiara? Do you think you have what it takes to take home the boon county crown? how rare is your cat? does she have forked tail? how about a horn? *does she randomly take dumps all over the place? if so its probably time to enter Mr. Tinkles annual Boon county cat pageant!

aUP2W.jpg

(*points will be deducted for cats that crap on the stage)

Mew-Genics Teaser #10! lil Guppy wins the annual Boon County Cat Pageant! the world becomes a much better place.

i should also point out that all the “kitty art” in these teasers isnt actually in game art, we are keeping that secret for a while so we dont spoil more than we mean to.
TILL NEXT YEAR!

Munin

God, Team Meat's art style makes me throw up every time. The worst of Newgrounds thrown into the amateur hour blender, with a little look-at-this-so-edgy cherry on top.

gvovI.jpg

http://supermeatboy.com/133/Mew_Genics_Teaser_week_11/#b

Have you ever loved something so much that you wanted to bring it into the future so your childrens, children could enjoy it? or how about simply wanting to put something on ice before you get arrested for animal abuse? or how about just needing to freeze a kitten seconds before you off yourself so your future self can look at it on the wall to remember the life you once had?

well guess what? this is all now possible by using the Cryo-Cube 5000! freezing cats / food / neighborhood squirrels has never been so easy!

The future is now!

God, Team Meat's art style makes me throw up every time. The worst of Newgrounds thrown into the amateur hour blender, with a little look-at-this-so-edgy cherry on top.

Yeah, the fucking worst of Newgrounds. Definitely ranks up with the worst.

If you can hear that, it's my eyes rolling so hard they popped out of their fucking sockets.

v5Bhc.jpg

Mew-genics Caturday Teaser #12! CAT RACES!

Did you know that deep down in the sewers Frank holds a the weekly Cat Races? well its true! and you know what else is true? its true that if you hold your breath and push hard you can teleport.. frank showed me this.

Is your cat in shape? has he taken his pills? has he had a good nights sleep? does he have ADD? what about a few extra legs?

Either way i think you should try your luck in the sewers and join Franks Cat Races, you could find your fortune there! or maybe a few magical poopies!

PokéKong

That ridiculously high number of possible cats leads me to believe that this game revolves around an implementation of the actual computer science concept of a "genetic algorithm", and the traits of each cat is stored as some sort of array of numbers that either gets combined with that of another cat or cloned and mutated some other random or guided way to change the values and eventually work towards creating a "perfect cat" by some criteria.

Top Bottom