• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Most Anticipated Games of 2017

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Good job on the thread!

Fun fact: Zelda has never been more than 12 points away from its runner up in the 3 years it's been featured.

jwillenn

Shenmue III would be #2 on my list (under Breath of the Wild), but I didn't think it was something to be expected to launch this year.

Kyonashi

CQ7ryuC.png

Prey have identity crisis.

There ain't any clean transparent renders of Morgan Yu on the internet, apparently. I wanted to find a better image but alas.

Also kinda works for Prey and Mass Effect as they're the only two on there to have gender options.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I find it hilarious that I won't be playing any one of the games in the list! I suppose my gaming tastes are a tad too far outside the mainstream.

Actually, now that I think about it I can't think of one new game for 2017 that I'm expecting to buy. I'll certainly pick up some older games at Steam sales, but I honestly don't think there's even one new game on the horizon that I'm waiting for? Astroneer is the only game that comes to mind, but it's sill in EA and I don't know if it will be released in 2017 or later...

If Shenmue III comes out I'll certainly buy that, but I don't really expect that to be a 2017 release.

I find it hilarious that I won't be playing any one of the games in the list! I suppose my gaming tastes are a tad too far outside the mainstream.

Actually, now that I think about it I can't think of one new game for 2017 that I'm expecting to buy. I'll certainly pick up some older games at Steam sales, but I honestly don't think there's even one new game on the horizon that I'm waiting for? Astroneer is the only game that comes to mind, but it's sill in EA and I don't know if it will be released in 2017 or later...
I wouldn't call the bulk of that top 10 mainstream.

Arttemis

Interesting to see the shift in the carry-over games from last year's results. Persona 5, Horizon, Zelda, Mass Effect, Ni-Oh, Gravity Rush 2, and Scalebound. Publishers should really evaluation their marketing strategy with these kind of figures in mind. I imagine pre-order numbers give a similar insight into the levels of excitement for potential customers, but I've long since abandoned pre-orders.

I mean technically, it already has. But yeah, not to tempt fate but I really can't see it slipping to 2018.
Yeah, the Japan release but you know what I mean.

Atlus would have to do it on purpose at this point. A very small part of me would be interested in that just to see how Atlus tries to explain it though lol.

Those banners are fantastic btw. Great job.

wapplew

Interesting to see the shift in the carry-over games from last year's results. Persona 5, Horizon, Zelda, Mass Effect, Ni-Oh, Gravity Rush 2, and Scalebound. Publishers should really evaluation their marketing strategy with these kind of figures in mind. I imagine pre-order numbers give a similar insight into the levels of excitement for potential customers, but I've long since abandoned pre-orders.

Most of them rank higher closer to release, delay doesn't kill hype?

Meatfist

Great list! This is going to be an awesome year.

I'm surprised that Destiny 2 didn't even chart, I think a lot of the first one's flaws came from being tied to last-gen systems so if Bungie gets this one right they'll have something real special on their hands

edit: I'm dumb, it hasn't been officially announced yet

N° 2048

Going to be an insane year. I haven't even played most of 2016's releases yet.
Amazing job to all who helped make this thread <3

silva1991

That PS4 domination! 8 of 10 choices made it to top 10 lol

1. Persona 5 ---> 2

2. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom ---> 10

3. Gravity Rush 2 ---> 9

4. Horizon: Zero Dawn ---> 3

5. Ni Oh ---> 7

6. Kingdom Hearts 2.8

7. Nier Automata ---> 6

8. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild ---> 1

9. Scalebound

10. Red Dead Redemption --- 4

Smeags

A big round of applause to all who worked hard to make this thread a reality. You guys make GAF a better community! &#128525;

Crazy to see how close 1 and 2 were, but obviously both games have been in the mindshare of fans for a long while, and everything points towards extraordinary games!

The bittersweet moment is that in 8 days, this year's gaming landscape is going to be changed in big ways. But that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Anywho, may your 2017 be filled with adventure and triumph!

Eolz

Reading the whole list, when was AC7 confirmed for 2017? Would have put it in my list if I knew it was eligible.

sirronoh

I don't see Star Wars Battlefront 2 at all, was it disqualified?

It's an impressive PS4 showing that's for sure. RIP wallet.

Was Battlefront 2 officially announced?

And yeah, lots of Gaf wallets are going to be hurt this year. I'm already planning how I'll move money around to dive into Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, and Tales of Berseria, all releasing within a week of each other.

Lusankya

Nier and gravity rush in the top 10, im so proud of you gaf *sniffles*

I wonder how well they will sell, though. While I am super happy with the top 20 I guess the mainstream buyers will go for different games (with some exceptions).

But man Danganronpa really came a long way. From some exotic game onla couple of people knew from translated let's plays to really fast translations and the #15 spot here.

You can tell how far removed GAF is from the wider gaming audience by the #2 game.
I disagree. Just check how often Persona 4 Golden on the freaking Vita sold in the West. Persona is clearly the second biggest JRPG franchise in the West. And FF isn't that far away anymore.

So many of the top anticipated games coming early in the year too. My wallet is afraid of the damage. Great job shinobi and anyone else involved, very excited to see how these games turn out.

Hooray at Ni No Kuni 2 in top 10!

Big budget jRPG revival is still notional at this point, but maybe 2017 will be the year....

Damn, Dragon Quest 11 was nearly in the top 20.

Good list overall.

Maybe folks thought it wouldn't come out in the West next year? Also, that reminds me, I need to go bump DQ Builders higher on my GOTY list.

I wonder how well they will sell, though. While I am super happy with the top 20 I guess the mainstream buyers will go for different games (with some exceptions).

But man Danganronpa really came a long way. From some exotic game onla couple of people knew from translated let's plays to really fast translations and the #15 spot here.

I disagree. Just check how often Persona 4 Golden on the freaking Vita sold in the West. Persona is clearly the second biggest JRPG franchise in the West. And FF isn't that far away anymore.
What's the first biggest JRPG? FF?
I don't think persona is second personally.

AdanVC

Can't believe this is the third year Zelda appears on the most anticipated games. Hope it is not delayed anymore! Amazing stuff, Shinobi! Loving the designs of the banners and stuff.

UberTag

Well, I guess only two, maybe three games will be delayed out of 2017 from the top 20 this time around.
Oh I'm certain a bunch more games will find a way to get delayed like always. It's tradition.
Although Nintendo saving its big Switch reveal conference for next week will likely make this year's group of delays less prominent than it would have been otherwise.

Will be interesting to see if we can finally break out string of multiple Top 10s with 4 games delayed into the next year.
Only two titles stand out from the group as likely candidates to get bumped to 2018 - RDR2 and Ni No Kuni II.

6 of our Top 20 in 2016 have found themselves bumped to the 2017 list.

KooopaKid

Banned
Very small difference between #1 and #2. The Persona fanbase is very vocal when you compare worldwide sales of the series.

bombshell

Was Battlefront 2 officially announced?

Yeah, but it's only been mentioned in EA earnings calls AFAIK, so maybe it didn't count for that reason.

The CFO of EA said it's coming next year in May 2016.

Yeah, in the May 2016 EA earnings call he said it would come out next year, but it was unclear if he meant calendar or fiscal year, so it could come Q1 2018 based on that information.

But in the November 2016 earnings call he said that it will come "a year from now", so 2017 is confirmed.

martino

too much platform exclusive &/| niche high in this top to reflect what will be real world performance (in sales i mean)
but please to see it.

AdanVC

Damn, Scalebound not even making it on the top 20... literally nobody here is hyped for the game. Kamiya is going to be so mad on twitter.

Top Bottom