• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Parapa the Rappa game for VIta / PS4 via Media Molecule and indies? - Rumor

Qvoth

I don't even remember anything about parappa anymore before this
Hopefully this becomes real, then maybe we'll actually have gitaroo man 2, even if it's not Sony owned
Dat legendary theme....

This would be perfect. Historic Sony franchises which aren't a fit for a home console retail release should be given another chance digitally or on handheld; I'd love to see new Vita versions of Rollcage, Colony Wars, Rogue Galaxy, Wild Arms, etc. Similarly, Shadow of the Beast is also a move in the right direction.

I want to believe in this, but for the moment I'm sceptical. Would be surprised if Media Molecule were involved; I guess they chose this themselves? They seem to have a lot of freedom in what they do.

Burbeting

Banned
Parappa the Rapper would be really nice addition for the Vita/PS4. I'm just worried about how they would handle the gameplay. The gameplay of the original two has not aged too gracefully, especially after the rise and fall of music games.

Perhaps it would have motion controls?

What I heard was not Queasy games, for the record.

I'm not saying it isn't Queasy, I'm just saying that when I heard it that wasn't the team I was told. But rumors and stuff... you know how it goes.

It's happening though, that's what you should take out of this. And it may not be the only old sony IP given to an indie.

572469_27658_front.jpg

(I don't want an indie to work on it though. SCE Japan Studio all the way.)

Camjo-Z

Ok... I have to admit.. I never played parappa and don't really know what it is exactly.. Some kind of rhtym game? What was special about it?

The original was basically the first modern rhythm game. The music is always really good, and the characters are all paper-thin which gives the game its own unique look. The rap dialogue and cutscenes are often hilarious as well due to the hammy voice actors, weird storylines, and the devs clearly not having the best grasp of English.

(I don't want an indie to work on it though. SCE Japan Studio all the way.)

Seriously, just imagine what a new JF would look like with modern-day graphics, instead of the blocky fogged up environments from the PS1 era. Would be amazing.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The original was basically the first modern rhythm game. The music is always really good, and the characters are all paper-thin which gives the game its own unique look. The rap dialogue and cutscenes are often hilarious as well due to the hammy voice actors, weird storylines, and the devs clearly not having the best grasp of English.
Probably worth pointing out to him that all versions of the game were in English of course!

Camjo-Z

Probably worth pointing out to him that all versions of the game were in English of course!

Oh yes! Even in the Japanese version of PlayStation All-Stars PaRappa is one of only two characters that keeps his original English voice, along with Dante, since neither of their series were dubbed in Japanese previously.

Also guys, I think I found a leaked track for PaRappa 3! sounds fresh right

Wasn't the reason there hasn't been a Parappa game is because the input lag of LCD tv's make rhythm games an arduous task. At least that's what I remember one of the creators said.

Zia

Last I heard Jon Mak was embedded with a certain prolific Toronto indie studio. Maybe it's them on PaRappa, and that's where the reference to Queasy came from.

Camjo-Z

What is this?

It's how voice actors pay their bills when they're not spouting phat rhymes about selling bottlecaps and cutting hair.

Actually come to think of it Dred Foxx still owes me $100. Maybe when he finally gets hired for a new PaRappa game he can stop giving me the runaround and pay up!

Pachimari

This'll instantly be one of my most anticipated titles. Hoping for an announcement tonight.

I wonder if it'll be a digital-only release or also hit retail.

This would be a killer app imho if it really made it to the PS4. I loved Parappa the Rappa that much.

I gotta believe!!!

And I seriously pray it's a 2014 title, too. It would instantly be near the very top of my list, even with all the games I'm excited about in 2014, but please be for PS4 and not Vita.

Takao

Banned
They helped them with the engine and looked over the project... Same diff here with the Tearaway engine

MM is just looking on making sure they are on Track... Sony made MM do this multiple times with multiple studios

Media Molecule helped United Front Games on an engine UFG created for Modnation Racers with SCE San Diego? Uh, okay ...

That is Tearaway's director. I doubt that has anything to do with this.

You gotta do what? I gotta believe!

Now it makes sense why they had Parappa walking around the Sony booth at E3 this year!

I don't think that was a Sony made costume. IIRC they had a costume contest for people to win access to E3. The older costumes they had looked much better.

Camjo-Z

He didnt do Sony voice work on any released games

He updated the credit to 2013 early on in the year. He also spearheaded a PaRappa 3 petition later on in March... I somehow doubt he would urge fans to bombard Sony with requests for a game that he already knew was in development.

nullset2

Was almost irritated at the bump, but now that I see those pictures, oh my goodness. It's going to happen.

It's going to happen, but I need confirmation of Matsuura's involvement before proceeding. And also Greenblat while we're at it.

Top Bottom