• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

I don't understand how Shadow's Faceless Void shines so much. In the game, he did not die once and got 20 kills, each of his attack hit incredibly hard, I could not believe it. Does that build work in pubs too? Treads, Linkens, Blink into AC, Manta, Bloodthorn.

Shadow got an otherworldly number of bash proc's in every fight. He literally bashed w33ha like 5 times in a row when he caught him by the rosh pit. Linkins Void can work if you farm it fast enough, but I don't think you'd need to use it in most pubs.

TUSR

Banned
I got an email for an item drop during the grand finals and it hasn't shown up in my inventory.

Maybe the steam app is messed up.

Quesa

I woke up with this idea in my head so here's an avi for you Tek

fJuXgkY.jpg

shira

I'm expecting massive shuffles:
MVP.Aui_2000
Secret, Alliance, DC: 2nd teams

Post TI Lan Schedule:
Red Bull Heroicks, Rastatt, Germany Sept 17-18
t1474117200z1.png
Before the Pick & Ban phase of each game the Caster Team decides two heroes for the voting
You, the audience, live-votes one of those heroes as the special hero for the next match
Pick & Ban: The teams pick their heroes for the match – the special hero cannot be banned
If the winner team chose the special hero the team/player gets rewarded right away
?: [A], OG, VP, +2

Hylian7

I cashed out on TI stuff as soon as I could seeing these drops. Made $40-50 for each Crimson Witness chest, sold Golden Centaur thing for something like $94.

misc-shopkeep.gif

Kade

I have to figure out what to do in Seattle until my 7pm flight because my Airbnb wants us out at noon :/

Hylian7

I'm an idiot and accidentally left my alarm notifications on silent on my phone, so I missed my alarm and my flight. United Customer Service is pretty good and got me on a new one with no charge, but I have time to kill at the airport so I figured I could go into full blogpost mode now.

The International 2016

TI6 was amazing, and topped last year in my opinion. Not only that, I think the quality of the matches made it the best TI yet. Stars of the show were easily Wings (really fascinating to watch their picks and strategies), EG, DC, and EHOME. My favorite game of the whole tournament was EG vs EHOME game 1 (the one with the comeback from Mega Creeps). Everyone in the arena was on the edge of their seats the entire game. It was easily one of the best games of Dota, if not the single best, I have ever watched. The grand final matches were also great. I wanted DC to win, but Wings is so fun to watch that I'm okay with them winning too. Going into the tournament, I was pulling for Na'Vi (with the expectation that they wouldn't get anywhere, and I was right), then EG and DC in their matches. I wanted EG to beat DC, but DC proved themselves to be incredibly strong. Much more that just a meme about Sunsfan.

It was great meet you guys/see you again. For many of you I basically got to say hi/wave at you and we didn't really get to talk at all due to lack of seats or time, and being too disorganized for a meetup. Off the top of my head I saw Anbokr, Procarbine, TUSR, Russ T, DrKirby, Chris R, DrPizza, lvl 2 pidgey, JambiBum, and I'm sure I probably missed someone. It was great to meet you guys, and hope to see you again next year. There was no Bandits photo this year as we didn't have a meetup, but I still have some photos regardless. This was posted earlier, but I'll post it again:

https://twitter.com/KaciAitchison/status/764621996894199808

I happened to be at the right place at the right time. I'm right behind Kaci to the left of Dendi. I also got selfies at other times with Kaci and Purge.

Speaking of Purge, the Weatherman Purge segments were a really great addition this year, and something I would like to see at more tournaments, such as the majors. He did a great job at pointing things out with drafts, critical teamfights, laning, etc. Since Purge was doing this, that most likely resulted in the noob stream being cut, and at that point I feel like they were running out of people to do a potential noob stream so it was cut. Pyrion was on the panel, Merlini was a co-caster, I'm not sure if there is anyone else really in the vein of Purge out there.

I know a lot of the filler content between games wasn't generally appreciated around here. Maybe it's just me, or being at the event live, or a combination of both, but I enjoyed it, even the "cringey" stuff. I don't mind Slacks, I actually like his stuff, but I can understand why people would find him irritating. I think we can all agree on something though: That the segments like International Archives were fantastic. The Fountain Hook one was easily my favorite, and gave us perspective on it from some players we had never heard before. Hearing how Loda was salty about it at the time, and the way the TongFu players took it that they just lost and it was simple as that. The Not Playing Dota segments were also well done, and very interesting.

The cosplay contest was cool just becasue of all the creativity that goes into it. TheKittyPlays as Roshan was pretty clever, I remember meeting her last year and she was dressed as QoP. Arc Warden gets at the very least an honorable mention though, because that was a cool idea.

The All Star match was a lot of fun as well. I was able to get both shirts, but I was wearing Team Kaci and Team Kaci won! It's amazing to me how Kaci came in at TI3 as a news reporter doing interviews that didn't know much about the game, to someone that knows so much more about it now and is leading a team in the All Star match. Kaci in the Timbersaw cosplay was great, and all the witty banter between Kaci and Slacks was pretty funny. The showstopper though was of course Underlord. Everyone kind of expected it, although people were thrown off by the match actually starting. Remember in TI4 that Techies took over after Sniper was picked, and this was still during picking phase. The pause and "cheat code" was pulled off pretty well and showing Underlord warp in in AR was great.

On the subject of the AR, I thought that was a great addition to the event. It was nice to look at, with the times being shown on the stage so everyone could see them. I think the best benefit of it though, was giving people that were either new to the game, or don't watch much Dota but tune in for TI, just to get a better idea of what the heroes look like. It was also a good idea to have the brief ability demos of certain heroes when they were picked. Slacks interviewing AR heroes was also pretty funny. My "cringe" tolerance is pretty high.

The opening ceremony was cool last year, with the orchestra, but in my opinion this year's topped that. I'm probably in the minority on this, but I actually like Lindsey Stirling. I hadn't heard of her before TI, and looked her up and she's pretty cool actually. That performance was great, and went particularly well with the event. I'm glad they put the Aegis on it's own stage this time instead of having the "Roshan penis" sticking out of the center stage like last year.

On Friday I noticed on the monitors that usually showed autograph schedules that they said there would be a "special performance" after the last match and to stick around for it. It was also announced on the panel, and there was speculation as to what this was. Deadmau5 again? Lindsey Stirling again? Darude? Resurrecting the Beatles with all of Valve's money? During the last match of the day, drums were being brought out and placed around all four corners of the stage, as if they were war drums. The match ended and they started beating the drums immediately. Everyone was thinking "wtf is going on. The martial art performers came out and then I looked closer at their outfits: they reminded me of monkeys. I was thinking there was no way they were doing this since they had just unveiled Underlord the previous night. Sure enough, there he was. We got the Monkey King trailer. Judging by the trailer, it looks like his skills changed significantly since his Dota 1 secret boss form. That transform into a tree thing wasn't there at all. I'm really excited to see what they bring to this hero since they don't have to design it with WC3 limitations in mind now, and more heroes in the future will be the same way.

Secret Shop, as usual, was great. I was disappointed by the lack of Demiheroes, but I also really like the Nendoroids and Figmas. Here's my haul:

I ended up trading the Vengeful Spirit plushie for Night Stalker later in the week. That Windrunner print you see at the bottom came with the Figma, the Dragon Knight and Mirana had a holographic print in them. The blanket they are all sitting on was actually sold on the lawn. They were only $25 and actually pretty nice, made for sitting on grass or beaches.

The ceremony for the grand final was a really nice touch. I like live orchestras like that, and they played my favorite track from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZwlt04y8bM

Having the drums during drafting was also great, really giving dramatic effect.

Like I said before, it was great to meet you all/see you again. One of my favorite things about TI, both this year and last year is how it's basically a place that really brings the Dota community together. I'd be lying if I didn't say Dota was a major part of my life. I enjoy the game, I enjoy watching it, I enjoy the community. Before the Grand Final, they did a bit where Kaci and Slacks did a "heart to heart" type of thing, and Slacks said something that really resonated with me on that: https://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti/v/83400929?t=05h51m22s

"To me, TI means a lot. It's where I started. I think it means a lot to all of us. It's not just about the games. It's a celebration of who we are. The players, the viewers, the guys that watch the workshop artists, everyone. It's not about what we do in the games, it's about coming together and showing we are a family, it's a celebration of us."

Like I said last year, TI is truly incredible in person, and I highly recommend going to one if you can, it's absolutely worth it. I hope to be going again next year, but it's possible real life commitments might get in the way. I think at the very least it's realistic I can do the finals ticket only (assuming they still do that), with the possibility of being able to do the weekday ticket.

Hope everyone else enjoyed TI!

I woke up with this idea in my head so here's an avi for you Tek

fJuXgkY.jpg

Perfect.

Qvoth

I don't understand how Shadow's Faceless Void shines so much. In the game, he did not die once and got 20 kills, each of his attack hit incredibly hard, I could not believe it. Does that build work in pubs too? Treads, Linkens, Blink into AC, Manta, Bloodthorn.

i feel this is the thing about wings, they build their items based on enemy line up more compared to other teams

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have to figure out what to do in Seattle until my 7pm flight because my Airbnb wants us out at noon :/

Ask if you can leave the luggage in the house while you spend the day in Seattle. You could also see if the airport will hold your luggage for you.

TUSR

Banned
Can't check luggage at SEATAC until 4 hours before your flight.

There is another server they offer, it's around $7-8 a bag and you can check in advance.

TUSR

Banned
Are the lines awful? I might just head there now if they are.

Also if moody doesn't make that sheever pic his avatar I'm totally taking it. Thanks quesa
They went really fast, the length of the line was misleading.

Under half an hour.

Wok

Shadow got an otherworldly number of bash proc's in every fight. He literally bashed w33ha like 5 times in a row when he caught him by the rosh pit.

During that game, I was like either IceFrog buffed Faceless Void and I missed that, or Shadow is using an item build (if not a 100% bash chance cheat) to have a huge damage output. I thought the chance was pseudo-random, so how does he perma-bash during the whole game?

Great write-up. Amazing for all of us who did not attend and watched the streams instead.

I did not know there were the International Archives by the way. I have found the official playlist:

JambiBum

They went really fast, the length of the line was misleading.

Under half an hour.
Kk. I'm still going to head that way since I'm like a half hour away with traffic. Not sure what gate I have yet but I'll let you know when I get there if you are still around.

Chris R

My security lines last night were 30 seconds long, no idea why there are zero people at SeaTac after 9.

OK, so, let's talk about this other stuff. Because of the split TI badges I've got an extra swag bag. I can do three things with it.

1) throw it in my closet where it will sit until i move out.
2) Offer EVERYONE who didn't attend TI who kinda regularly posts here the option to be entered into a random drawing for the digital codes.
3) Offer United States dwelling people who didn't attend TI who kinda regularly posts here the option to be entered into a random drawing for the entire bag, conditional on the winner paying the shipping costs. Probably around $15 for USPS flat rate I think.

Let me know. We will figure something out by next weekend and give some stuff away.

bounchfx

Well you're welcome to help me move my shit into a van from storage Kappa. Not looking forward to this lol. I should probably get up

TUSR

Banned
I tried to bring a whole bottle of shampoo onto the plane.

Me and this white TSA agent hashed it out and they didn't even get mad.

Hylian7

I tried to bring a whole bottle of shampoo onto the plane.

Me and this white TSA agent hashed it out and they didn't even get mad.

I had the weirdest experience going through TSA today.

I had my laptop out of the bag, and then the bins weren't there and I was like "wtf". The lady was saying just put the laptop back in the bag. So I did, and put my phone and wallet and all in there too.

Then they walk me through the regular metal detector instead of the body scanner, no wand after or anythnig

Not sure if white privelege or just disorganized.

TUSR

Banned
I had the weirdest experience going through TSA today.

I had my laptop out of the bag, and then the bins weren't there and I was like "wtf". The lady was saying just put the laptop back in the bag. So I did, and put my phone and wallet and all in there too.

Then they walk me through the regular metal detector instead of the body scanner, no wand after or anythnig

Not sure if white privelege or just disorganized.
Yeah that's exactly what they did with everyone when I went through. No wand, keep everything in the bag. Never seen that before.

Top Bottom