• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben affleck admits to groping Hilarie Burton

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I think the uproar over the Hilarie Burton incident is Total bullshit.
It was wrong to do it, but making an issue about it now is just an attempt to make us feel better about ourselves, when the truth is we should feel the opposite.
It was live on TV, many of us probably saw it, and didn't think anything of it, and we certainly didn't say anything. The press didn't say anything, MTV didn't say anything, it was looked at as acceptable and funny.

The other incident being mentioned isn't a good look for him, and I'd like to see how he responds.

Ryuuroden

This stuff happens everywhere.

Glad it's coming out.

Women have always had to put up with so much garbage. Hope this starts to change.

Yep, My fiancee has been harassed at the children's hospital she works at by doctors while shes setting up their computer so its not just Hollywood.

EDIT: and no, I don't stay silent about it and I tell her to go to Human Resources but she tells me no, shes more likely to get fired if she does that since shes just a contractor.

XAL

This dude cheated on his wife so, none of this behavior is shocking.

The Harvey thing coming out was because he lost power to keep these things out of the public eye so the victims could speak out and not be stomped into the dirt by lawyers and retaliation.

Affleck still has power - glad these women are just saying "fuck it" and calling these guys out for the gross shit they do. Also him losing Batman isn't some big deal, he's been trying to get out of that role since BvS tanked critically.

Batman is a god damn rapist now.

Who did he rape?

BibiMaghoo

I don't think what he did is OK, because that type of behavior is never ok. But why the sudden outrage when it happened over a decade ago? It's not like this is some bombshell news story either, it was televised for everyone to see. Yet people are acting like this is comparable to Weinsten, somebody who serially raped many women over a 20 year period? Again what he did is NOT OK but I feel the outrage is a bit overblown.

Because he called this shit out as heinous like, yesterday.

Earth

Banned
untitledg9kzw.png

He may as well say it how he means it.

Enzom21

Wait this looks really old when she openly talked about it.

Its in no way excusable but why was this now such a big and shocking revelation that Affleck did that?

Because of the Harvey Weinstein news and Affleck's statement about it.
It's in the OP, try to read the thread.

SilentRob

Wait this looks really old when she openly talked about it.

Its in no way excusable but why was this now such a big and shocking revelation that Affleck did that?

The tweet literally says "but everyone forgot", no one was every trying to imply that no one has ever heard about it. Safe to say, it's new for most people. Because - as the tweet said - seemingly just everyone who watched it back then kinda forgot about him harassing a woman on TV 15 years ago.

More than anything: Shame on the producers for turning this into a funny skit instead of raising hell. Different times and all, but still, fuck them.

LifEndz

I bet there are a lot of Hollywood execs and superstar actors scared to death about when their dirt is going to come out...especially the pedophiles that abused child actors.

As for Ben, that clip is shocking. The hell with complimenting her or asking if she’d like to go out when you can just grab a boob? God damn.

As this kind of inappropriate behavior goes, dude is small potatoes, but the fact this shit is so common amongst men, especially men with power and money, is pretty damning of our sex.

Zen Aku

This is like the worst thing possible to happen before the Justice League movie release. He's absolutely done as Batman if he already wasn't after this.
Yeah I was just thinking this.

It's bad enough that he knew about all this shit that was happening. But he's one himself? I always thought the guy was decent at the very least. But i lost any respect/admiration I had left for him now.

a916

This is like the worst thing possible to happen before the Justice League movie release. He's absolutely done as Batman if he already wasn't after this.

I don't at all want to make light of these serious accusations coming Affleck's way... but (sadly) the worst thing that could have happened to JL's movie release is JL own issues and by extension BvS.

This is definitely inappropriate and I'm not sure what Ben's next move should be. An apology is a bare minimum but I'm not sure what he has to do to make things "even".

Ashodin

Dude you can't just go grabassing all over Hollywood

Milkshake Ducks everywhere

guys can be really stupid when in positions of power. What you think is okay is NOT okay. No matter if "someone else did it!"

Welp, fuck you too Ben. I guess Batman movie is officially not happening after this. Wouldnt be surprised if this is what finally blows up the DC verse or at least give it a soft reboot with a new Batman.

They should just have Batman reboots every two years. What's Keanu Reeves up to this year

The Kree

Banned
A third of Americans thought it was cool to give an admitted serial sex offender the highest office in the country. I have no illusions that there will be justice for anything ever again. I can't do shit but shrug anymore. The apologies don't mean anything. I'm tired.

J2 Cool

Can we edit this into the OP, or is it not relevant?

Look. I think Ben Affleck is a simpleton, shit type as it is. But I gathered that opinion over years. I don’t see why this is news now. We all had access to these videos for years, but suddenly now it’s a witchhunt saying “he’s through”

Maybe i would be murdered in cold blood for this...but I don’t think that’s quite the same as Harvey Weinstein. Shitty guy? Absolutely. But we should have known this. I think all of this is super weird.

Considering she was happy to talk about it on camera, are we assuming MTV put pressure on her to say those things? Because if not, I can't get too angry about this one, without her being coerced, it seems like at they both laughed it off at the time, over the years she's realised how fucked up it was and now that she's opened up about it, he thinks the same and has apologised. Same frame of mind when it happened, same frame of mind now.

SoulUnison

Banned
A third of Americans thought it was cool to give an admitted serial sex offender the highest office in the country. I have no illusions that there will be justice for anything ever again. I can't do shit but shrug anymore. The apologies don't mean anything. I'm tired.

Yeah, I feel like abusing power over others for personal gain and sexual harassment is no longer something to admonish other for, but rather something that people are starting to aspire to.

"Success" is no longer about rising above poverty and into security, but about rising above the law and accountability.

Top Bottom