• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Floyd will probably fight him the same way he fought Zab; high guard, straight rights to the head and body, emphasis on body work. I'm thinking a corner stoppage for Floyd around round 9 or so.

Turin

Banned
Floyd will probably fight him the same way he fought Zab; high guard, straight rights to the head and body, emphasis on body work. I'm thinking a corner stoppage for Floyd around round 9 or so.

Yeah. I was thinking his approach would be some variation between how he fought Zab and Ortiz.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i don't know anything about boxing, or fisticuffs in general, so what is the significance of the whole 8oz gloves thing?

in general for boxing, i mean. even an ignoramus like me knows it won't change anything as far as this fight is concerned.

i don't know anything about boxing, or fisticuffs in general, so what is the significance of the whole 8oz gloves thing?

in general for boxing, i mean. even an ignoramus like me knows it won't change anything as far as this fight is concerned.

You answered your own question, it changes nothing. If anything it gives CM one less excuse when he gets his ass kicked.

darscot

Why is Mayweather rolling that cheesey as fuck Benz with a tape deck. I get its from when you started but come on man show that car a little love.

Tom_Cody

I thought this moment from the first Embedded was interesting. McGregor previews how he's planning to work Floyd's high-guard stance.

SimplisticBasicAmbushbug.gif

Turin

Banned

Slightly increases the chance of a knockout.

There was an unscientific decision made to raise the glove oz limit above 147 because they believe it makes it safer for the fighters. I don't think it does but they should do some intensive research on the matter.

darscot

As to the gloves I think Kavanagh let slip the real reason the want the smaller gloved. It isn't anything about the weight. It's about Mayweather's defense. They want the smaller gloves because it gives Conor just a little more room to sneak in that big shot.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I thought this moment from the first Embedded was interesting. McGregor previews how he's planning to work Floyd's high-guard stance.

SimplisticBasicAmbushbug.gif

The thing is Floyd isn't going to just be standing still in front of Conor letting him unload, let alone unanswered by Floyd himself.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
8oz gloves aren't going to make any difference at all, it was all about selling the fight and making it seem as close of a fight as possible.

HStallion

That's what Conor is baiting, and then BAM - Jolt Counter

Also that gif is more about that nice car in the background than anything else.

By doing a standard combo that's just tapping at his gloves before following with a body shot? I'm gonna wager that Mayweather has encountered that before...

Aiii

So not worth it
I am sure Conor is giving his gameplan away by letting UFC show his highly secret sparring session in the sun in front of his Lambo guys, makes total sense.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

HStallion

I just want it to be a good ass fight. I don't give a fook who wins.

Depends what you think a good ass fight is. You expecting a brawl and you're going to be extremely disappointed. Come in expecting what could be 12 rounds of boxing master class more about skill and strategy then you'll probably have a decent chance of that unless Conor totally drops the balls in the ring.

Floyd doesn't hold his gloves like that in high guard.

As soon as Conor tries to go to the midsection, Floyd is left hooking or left jabbing.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/...art-1-combat-course-technical-analysis-boxing

This is an amazing article about how Floyd fights southpaws.

Great article! Didn't know about Miguel Diaz theory about lack of calcium being the reason for the brittle hands...intresting. The breakdown of the stances is great also. Especially for these casuals...lol

Never been a fan of Mayweather though I can't dispute his talent but after watching the build up I just want McGregor to get schooled.

The fight is a farce anyway but McGregor looks so shit as a boxer, he slaps and moves far too so slow. Diaz fucked him up and that was some basic boxing and he isn't going to be able to hold.

Still more interested in it than most fights in a while though.

Banglish

Never been a fan of Mayweather though I can't dispute his talent but after watching the build up I just want McGregor to get schooled.

The fight is a farce anyway but McGregor looks so shit as a boxer, he slaps and moves far too so slow. Diaz fucked him up and that was some basic boxing and he isn't going to be able to hold.

Still more interested in it than most fights in a while though.

lol Do you even know what the fuck an MMA is?
Conor worked Nate's ass in the rematch.

Floyd has fought with 8oz gloves in 46 of his 49 fights.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ChKxYHZ.jpg
[/IMG]
edb.jpg

This is from ESPN sports science. Given that one person usually weights 170 in his fights versus someone that is about 147 on average on fight night, this doesn't bode well for Conor at all. Floyd has been in the ring with people that hit much harder than this. This calls into question the chins of the people that Conor's been fighting. Just a few more days, can't wait.

Aiii

So not worth it
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ChKxYHZ.jpg[img][IMG]
[IMG]http://southlandpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/edb.jpg[IMG]

This is from ESPN sports science. Given that one person usually weights 170 in his fights versus someone that is about 147 on average on fight night, this doesn't bode well for Conor at all. Floyd has been in the ring with people that hit much harder than this. This calls into question the chins of the people that Conor's been fighting. Just a few more days, can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring that Connor only just started fighting at 155 (putting him sub 165 fight weight, not 170), and fought 10 lbs lighter for years. This shows that Connor has taken shots from fighters just as strong as Floyd and managed to survive. So how that "doesn't bode well" doesn't even make much sense. I'd say it shows he can take a punch from Floyd and be okay.

It also shows that they can both hit hard, and that's all that's relevant. It's the timing of the punch, the placement of the punch and how well you can combine punches to create an opening and/or implement a game plan to target a specific body part to get an opening throughout the fight. None of which are determined by avg punching power.

Top Bottom