• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit you do with your food that weirds out other people

ZOONAMI

I never dip sushi into soy sauce. Too salty. Can't taste the fish at all after.

However, I commit the greatest act of sushi sacrilege by occasionally eating my ginger with my sushi (as opposed to using it as a palate cleanser). This is such a faux pas it got called out in a hilarious scene in Billions. I generally only do this at cheap Americanized sushi places eating ridiculous rolls that no one would consider real sushi anyway, but I'm still self-conscious about it.

Yo ginger with the sushi is dope. The purists can fuck off.

No you're not - it's still there... and enhanced by the salt!

Salt?!
You guys need to step up your game bro.
kP8RDFK.jpg

Okay this is only kind of related but I just thought of it

I think fruity yogurt (like Yoplait or whatever) smells so effing good but I've never had it because I think it would taste bad

I do that with many foods

----

Also eggs and ketchup is like a cliche answer but it's like... an official thing in (at least) Japan, and I think South Korea but I don't really remember from when I was there

StoneFox

In the winter I heat up Dr Pepper like hot chocolate and drink it that way. Warms me right up.

I put thousand island on my cheeseburgers instead of ketchup.

I put rainbow serbet in crancherry juice like a root beer float and it's fabulous.

I enjoy mayonnaise on hot dogs and as a dipping sauce for fries. Probably not that weird in most of the world, but in the US it's very atypical.

akira28

What is a tater tot

the stuff of dreams. I kid you not. It's the stuff of dreams.

I boil my hotdogs in chicken bouillon or grease. It is so good.

I am watching the greatest super hero movie ever Blade 2 while my hotdogs boil in chicken grease. It is going to be so good.

I was born half human. Half vampire. They call me the Daywalker. Fuck I love this movie.

if you're boiling something in grease...aren't you frying it?

Some horrible shit in this thread. Some of you are really disgusting. Seek help.

Only slightly weird thing I can think of is eating a kiwi like and apple, skin and all.
My friends think it is gross, but I'm sure lots of people do it.

amaretto

I sometimes make waffles just to smell them, not eat them. That smell of hot, fresh waffles is so euphoric to me.

But the ONLY way I'll eat waffles is if they have a scoop of ice cream and walnuts on them.

Also, I hate fluffy pancakes. They have to be crispy, flat and a tiny bit burnt on the edges for me to eat them.

Anddd I eat my sides before the protein. No idea why.

Owari

What are some weird things you do with meals, like a weird topping or unconventional combination that weirds out other people when you tell them about it?

I don't drink milk (have a mild dairy intolerance) so when I want a bowl of cereal, I use water instead of milk, I have tried cereal with milk and It actually didn't make that much of a difference in my opinion, it just adds moisture to the cereal making it easier to chew and swallow mostly. (I have also used coffee, but that was a failed experiment)

The fact that I do this weirds out Friends, Coworkers and Family, much to my enjoyment.

Did you know there's tons of milk alternatives that taste much better than water/milk? Soy, Almond, Cashew to name a few. Using water is like, not really weird, just wrong.

I used to have a ritual for hotdogs; I would fist remove the dog from the bun, strip the skin from the hotdog, squeeze the HD juice into the bun, slow eat the flayed hotdogs and then eat the nice juicy buns.

Not sure why I did that, but then again I was 7 or something.

Bite food, chew, sip drink, swallow. Repeat. I unconsciously drink with just about every mouthful. I don't like eating without a drink.

My wife...polar opposite, she was never allowed her drink as a kid until after she ate. She basically only drinks at the end of her meal to this day.

Reversed

I spread mayo on my tortillas whenever I get a serving of this.

Tastes creamy enough for my liking.

Also I'm in ketchup on scrambled eggs team. I've tried sauce but it makes it too soggy. Can't eat a fried egg without a gross amount of ketchup because I hate the stinky taste of pure yolk in my mouth.

Aikidoka

I put a scoop of peanut butter in my cereal is probably what most consistently bothers people.
Other than that, I tend to mix food together

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Salt?!
You guys need to step up your game bro.
kP8RDFK.jpg

Okay, okay... oaky.. I need to tell you something., Every single spice you buy, the key ingredient in it. Salt. If it isn't, then it says to add salt.

Salt is pretty much the base of flavor.

Like people say water is the base of life.

same thing

jiiikoo

Banned
I eat frozen peas, without defrosting them first. Just straight out of the freezer and into my mouth. I put a handful into my mouth, move it to my left cheek and one by one, position a pea between my front teeth and carefully peel it. The innards of the pea I swallow whole and the peelings I put into my right cheek. After I've peeled the handul of peas, I munch on the peels. Mmmmm.

Yeah I used to do this as a kid whenever there was a bowl of them waiting to go in the microwave. I just throw them in an chew on them though.

That's a scrub way of eating. The innards are dry compared to the saliva moistened peels. Moist pea peels. Mmmmm.
drool.gif

Kthulhu

If there is cheese stuck to my plate or burger wrapper I always eat it off. If there is rice in my burrito foil I also always eat it off.

LewieP

I eat frozen peas, without defrosting them first. Just straight out of the freezer and into my mouth. I put a handful into my mouth, move it to my left cheek and one by one, position a pea between my front teeth and carefully peel it. The innards of the pea I swallow whole and the peelings I put into my right cheek. After I've peeled the handul of peas, I munch on the peels. Mmmmm.

Yeah I used to do this as a kid whenever there was a bowl of them waiting to go in the microwave. I just throw them in an chew on them though.

pablito

I like to drink crisp cold water with my brownies, chocolate chip cookies, etc. It's not the weirdest thing by itself, but I weird people out when I tell them how much I love the combination.

I like to drink crisp cold water with my brownies, chocolate chip cookies, etc. It's not the weirdest thing by itself, but I weird people out when I tell them how much I love the combination.
I do that. Chocolate makes me thirsty as fuck and I can't drink milk so water works just fine.

Phu

Banned
It is not, it is overridden

I'm sorry for arguing this, btw. I'm just using you as a stand-in for my step dad who does the same shit

Worse, he does it to apples. :(

I completely agree with you. Salt is like the antithesis of water so putting it on things full of water is just defeating the purpose.

I put thousand island on my cheeseburgers instead of ketchup.

Thousand island is like a 95% match to Big Mac/Big Boy sauce.

Media

I'm New Mexcian born and raised, so when I invite a group over for dinner, I usually make enchiladas.

They expect those little rolled tortillas with sauce and cheese.

New Mexican style enchiladas are more like a casserole, with layers of tortilla, beef or chicken, sauce (red for beef, green for Chicken, Christmas if you want to really blow their minds) cheese, until the dish is full. More cheese on top, baked until everything is hot, and serve each sqaure with an over easy eggs on top. Refried beans and chips and queso as side.

People really flip out when they see it, and the egg weirds them out the most.

images

23qwerty

used to eat frozen hot dogs...

run them under hot water for a little bit to defrost the outside but still keep the inside frozen

oh also used to microwave marshmallows and eat the melted marshmallow

What are some weird things you do with meals, like a weird topping or unconventional combination that weirds out other people when you tell them about it?

I don't drink milk (have a mild dairy intolerance) so when I want a bowl of cereal, I use water instead of milk, I have tried cereal with milk and It actually didn't make that much of a difference in my opinion, it just adds moisture to the cereal making it easier to chew and swallow mostly. (I have also used coffee, but that was a failed experiment)

The fact that I do this weirds out Friends, Coworkers and Family, much to my enjoyment.

That reminded me of my brother... when he was around 10, he would eat cornflakes with coke. Absolutely nasty stuff.

I do have some weird habits. I buy expensive tortellini/tortelloni/ravioli (fresh) and I often eat half the bag raw. When my GF saw me she was shocked... but after convincing her to try, she's become a fan. You can really taste the ingredients in the filling (sometimes it's too strong, like the asparagus-filled ones I ate yesterday).

Other than that, I buy corn tortillas, I put two unflavored/unsweetened Petit Suisse in it, add some agave syrup and boom. delicious. I also eat stewed fruit (compote) in a tortilla. I eat this stuff like 3 times a week.

I still think you yankees are cray cray for putting PB & jelly together (haven't tried it though...).

edit:
I eat burritos inside-out. I squeeze out the contents, roll up the tortilla, and then dip it in its own filling.
Do you have a name for your recipe? I'd call it "prolapso", in Spanish.

Melted cheese on saltines/rice cakes is sentimental struggle food for me. I haven't met anyone else who does it.

Mayonnaise is the breast milk of Satan. For the record.

eggsketchup.JPG

he he he he he

This is kind of a common thing, may be divisive to some extent, but I don't think anyone will be surprised to see someone doing this.

The reason I'm extremely against ketchup on breakfast is because it ruins the whole flow of the meal. Often I'll have eggs with bacon/sausage, pancakes or waffles of french toast, hash browns, all that jazz. The food all goes will together. You can wrap it up into a burrito and it'll be fire. (Many breakfast burritos/sandwiches do just that). And of course, for the bread part of the meal, I use syrup. The syrup also tastes good with everything else. Some syrup from the pancake spill onto the egg, or the bacon? No problem at all.

Ketchup ruins everything because it breaks up the flow. You can't mix ketchup with syrup, so it forces you to eat these things separate.

Now if you're just eating eggs, it's fine.

I dislike ketchup on most foods because most ketchups I've had have a super dominant flavour. Put ketchup on something and it'll taste mostly of ketchup and barely anything else. It works in small doses on certain sandwiches, burgers, fries or similar foods and sausage-based dishes, as well as base for other sauces (e.g. I like making what's called a Bosna sauce, which is ketchup, mustard, onion and curry powder).

Anybody who eats schnitzel, especially of the Wiener kind, with ketchup is a savage heathen who should burn in the flames of purgatory for eternity, though.

At any rate, I can't really think of anything I do to my food that is particularly strange. There's no weird food combinations I like, nor do I often eat exotic foods in the first place. I guess the strangest thing I do is liking certain types of foods that are considered awful in other parts of the world because they are lower quality there (e.g. kebabs or McDonald's) or because of some weird fad outrage (e.g. pineapple on pizza). Or maybe drinking tea/coffee without milk or sugar. I dunno.

Top Bottom