• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Super for Nolan. For a film with no real big named actors in the leading roles (Hardy aside), and a film featuring no Americans, Dunkirk did remarkably well. Beat industry tracking easily, which had it at 35m opening weekend.

Shame about Apes drop, guess its depressing / not audience friendly tone turned people off.

209M budget for Valerian.

That's a joke right?

No, I can't imagine it was an easy film to make, and according to most reports all the money is there on the screen. Shame the two leads aren't better cast, and I say this as someone who actually likes DeHaan.

Besson also already started working on two sequels, so I can only imagine how miserable he must be feeling right now.

It's in the article in the OP

Although I'm skeptical at that number tbh.

This is where we see the limits of speculating about a movie's budget. Its entirely possible that WB was worried about giving a huge budget to a WW2 movie so they signed Nolan and some cast members to back-loaded deals. Now that its a hit those folks could make huge bank. Or Nolan may just be incredibly good a managing a budget. We have no clue.

Emma Thomas, one of the producers of Dunkirk (and Nolan's wife) said that Dunkirk was substantially cheaper to make than their previous films.

$100M would make more sense than $150M since their previous films were about $160M.

Boke1879

I'm not at all worried for that film. It'll do alright, although I'm not thinking a billion and nobody else should either

The Han film, now that's gonna bomb

I think Episode 8 could hit a billion. Rogue One did. It's part of the mainline series, Great cast, Luke in a more prominent role.

A billion minimum. It's Spider-Man, good, in the MCU.
Why a billion? No Spidey film has ever made $900 million, let alone a billion.

Not only that, no solo MCU film besides IM3 has made a billion.

I don't think homecoming is under performing at all. It still hasn't come out in China and will most likely hit or come close to $800 million, which is more than both ASM films and close to or above Raimi's Spidey 2.

Homecoming never had a chance at billion with it being another reboot, the competition and lower foreign exchange rates.

No Star Wars film is gonna bomb. At worst it may have a disappointing return despite still being really profitable.

Yeah, if any Star Wars film was in a position to actually lose money, you'd think it woulda been Attack of the Clones. And although it could be said to have underperformed - it certainly didn't get anywhere near "bomb."

Guzim

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/dunkirk-oscar-strategy

Besson, for his part, is quick to praise Nolan as a visionary filmmaker—and points out that if, say, Inception 2 were coming out on July 21, he would have moved Valerian off the contested release date for fear of the films cannibalizing each other’s audience.

As it stands, however, the Frenchman believes moviegoers will likely divide along generational lines. “Everyone under 50 will go see Valerian,” Besson says, “and everyone above 50 will go see Dunkirk.”

kswiston

I think Episode 8 could hit a billion. Rogue One did. It's part of the mainline series, Great cast, Luke in a more prominent role.

I assume he was talking about $1B domestic.

If Dunkirk really somehow only cost $100m this is gonna be a very big success for Nolan

It will probably be a big success if it was closer to $150M as well. I expect it to make a run for $200M domestic. August is pretty dead, and Dunkirk will pull in the 50+ demographic that doesnt care about making it to the theatre opening weekend.

No film all year has hit a billion, despite every thread getting people saying "I predict x is hitting a billion"

Year's over half-done now. I have my doubts about anything breaking the trend

Definitely have beyond-doubts about the Han film getting even near a billion, domestic or total

Boke1879

I assume he was talking about $1B domestic.

It will probably be a big success if it was closer to $150M as well. I expect it to make a run for $200M domestic. August is pretty dead, and Dunkirk will pull in the 50+ demographic that doesnt care about making it to the theatre opening weekend.

Oh. Fair enough.

No film all year has hit a billion, despite every thread getting people saying "I predict x is hitting a billion"

Definitely have beyond-doubts about the Han film getting even near a billion, domestic or total

Wait are we talking domestic or something? Beauty and the Beast and F&F8 all hit a billion worldwide.

Beauty and the Beast and Fate of the Furious both made over $1.2B.

Star Wars is easily doing so.

kswiston

Furious 8 and Beauty and the Beast are both over $1.2B. The Force Awakens beat Furious 7 by over $500M worldwide.

Edit: if you are talking about Han Solo, that could miss $1B. Rogue One squeaked by.

mjc

Wait are we talking domestic or something? Beauty and the Beast and F&F8 all hit a billion worldwide.

People were generally talking a billion domestic, but there's only been a couple so far this year that cleared that internationally like you said.

I would not bet against The Last Jedi hitting 1B. Rogue One hit that.

I think people are talking about Last Jedi hitting 1 billion DOMESTIC.

This happened in one of the other bo threads recently, which led to me saying I don't think Star Wars is cracking 1bil domestic this time out - but I think the Lion King remake might have a shot at it. I don't know that it's much of a shot, but if I had to put chips down on which of the two might actually cross that line first, I'd bet on Simba.

3N16MA

Banned
Last year I had Homecoming at 850M WW without seeing any trailers. I think some thought that was way too low. Expectations were set pretty high simply because it was set in the MCU.

mjc

I think people are talking about Last Jedi hitting 1 billion DOMESTIC.

This happened in one of the other bo threads recently, which led to me saying I don't think Star Wars is cracking 1bil domestic this time out - but I think the Lion King remake might have a shot at it. I don't know that it's much of a shot, but if I had to put chips down on which of the two might actually cross that line first, I'd bet on Simba.

If Lion King doesn't do it, Aladdin probably will.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-dunkirk-girls-trip-valerian-2-1202503892/

Wow. I suppose this was his way to sort of mitigate a possible lesser boxoffice run but it seems he has another big fat check coming to his pockets.

Already has a big fat check due to him having the richest pay day for a filmmaker since Peter Jackson and "King Kong".

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Nolan is earning a huge $20 million pay day for “Dunkirk,” plus 20% of whatever the film ends of grossing at the box office. Not since Peter Jackson and “King Kong” has a deal of this magnitude been made, and it’s almost unheard of in today’s studio-driven climate. Based on numbers pulled by THR, the average director salary for a studio film is anywhere between $750,000 to $1.5 million range, depending on the number of the director’s previous credits.

Wait something hit $1 billion domestic? I thought TFA was like $950 million or something?

And everyone latched onto that guy saying TLJ could do a billion because RO did. But RO didn't do a billion domestic. So why is that what we're talking about now? Pretty sure that guy was talking WW.

Fake edit: TFA $936 million domestic. What are we talking about here? Am I going crazy?

Top Bottom