• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Isn't he into young women?

Edit: when he was 30 something, he had a pregant wife, 15.
giphy.gif

Cheebo

Banned
No film all year has hit a billion, despite every thread getting people saying "I predict x is hitting a billion"

Year's over half-done now. I have my doubts about anything breaking the trend

Definitely have beyond-doubts about the Han film getting even near a billion, domestic or total
Are you seriou? TLJ is doing 700 mil domestic. Minimum. It is impossible to not hit a billion worldwide.

Maybe people were confused as to whether he meant domestic or worldwide because saying Episode 8 will hit a bil worldwide is maybe the safest box office prediction one could make in these threads, so people default to the possibility the prediction was being aimed at a harder to hit target.

Fuck man, people turning out for Nolan doing PG13 WWII movies that don't even feature the US.

Imagine if this dude ever decides to say "fuck it" and does an Inception sequel. I'm happy he's one of the few big directors doing original shit though.

Anth0ny

Will TLJ surpass TFA? Seems obvious it would but by how much?

TFA had the hype of a new Star Wars movie going into it. Massive hype that was not seen for a film since The Phantom Menace, really.

However, TLJ now has the hype of three generations. The old people who watched the original trilogy, the 20 somethings who watched the prequels, and now the new generation of kids who are falling in love with the franchise through TFA and Rogue One.

If all three generations show up like I expect them to, I could see TLJ coming close. But I don't expect it to beat TFA domestically or worldwide.

inky

It's not really that obvious, and I don't think it will, really. It'll probably dip by about $100-150mil domestic.

Well, it looks like an impossible number, but it really has everything going for it atm. Was thinking WW total, but it's hard to think foreign will make up for that dip if that is indeed the domestic trend. We'll see.

Fixed.

And $400 mil domestic
I mean I don't get why Eon doesn't do it. If Nolan wants the job like he seems to I have no idea why they keep fucking up their timelines instead of waiting for him. If they delay the next one till 2019 I don't see why he couldn't do it as his next film.

TFA had the hype of a new Star Wars movie going into it. Massive hype that was not seen for a film since The Phantom Menace, really.

However, TLJ now has the hype of three generations. The old people who watched the original trilogy, the 20 somethings who watched the prequels, and now the new generation of kids who are falling in love with the franchise through TFA and Rogue One.

If all three generations show up like I expect them to, I could see TLJ coming close. But I don't expect it to beat TFA domestically or worldwide.
What you are saying just shows that TLJ will have a monster opening but the question remains. How many people will settle on for a repeated viewing? Because this is what propelled TFA to something like $930 million LTD. I doubt TLJ can repeat the same.

Slayven

Valerian and the city of the thousand planets had no marketing.

200 mill and you don't see a commercials every five minutes

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
*clears throat*

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Dollars at the Box Office

*sadly shuffles away*

Do people really think the TLJ will beat TFA domestically? That's not how this works people.

Regarding Nolan, it's fun to say that he should do Star Wars or Bond. And I'm sure I'd really enjoy it. But I think I'd be kind of bummed. He's the only current director that I can name giving us original big spectacle movies where you can be pretty certain of the quality. That's not something I want to lose.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's fucking ridiculous. Reminds me a bit of Pacific Rim in that sense.

Speaking of movies nobody will care about when they're released, Pacific Rim: Uprising is gonna have a rough time too.

DMczaf

Fuck man, people turning out for Nolan doing PG13 WWII movies that don't even feature the US.

Imagine if this dude ever decides to say "fuck it" and does an Inception sequel. I'm happy he's one of the few big directors doing original shit though.

After his Dunkirk deal ($20M up front, 20% of box office) Imagine the deal he would get for Bond or Inception 2...

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Nolan has tackled Space, War, Science Fiction, Super Hero, Magic and Crime. What do you guys think he should tackle next as a genre?
He needs to make the Heat-style crime movie he clearly wanted to make with Batman.

Nolan has tackled Space, War, Science Fiction, Super Hero, Magic and Crime. What do you guys think he should tackle next as a genre?
Making good movies.

Rimshot.....

Seriously though, only enjoyed half his movies. Hope he keeps making stuff, I'm sure some will interest me.

Good:
Memento
Begins
Dark Knight
The prestige

Suck:
Inception
Tdkr
Interstellar

TLJ is breaking 600-650MM domestic, possibly more and breaking 1.4-1.5B WW, possibly more. I think it'll dip in China though based on RO's performance there and TFA didn't really do that well despite major marketing from Disney.

I am interested in seeing Hulk Ragnarok vs Justice League at the BO. I think the latter has an advantage and can break 500MM domestic and 1B WW, but it'll be interesting to see regardless.

Zombies. TLOU movie.

Top Bottom