• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nu-metal that didn't suck?

PaulBizkit

Ok, so Korn, Deftones and System Of A Down are what you're probably looking for.

As for actual albums, here, have Taproot's best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gf0GFGAtE0
Taproot_gift.jpg

Aside from Slipknot I've tried the following who were on varying degrees of bad:
Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Mudvayne

Limp Bizkit is my favorite band EVER. Their hits are kind of overrated, but it's a great band with great songs and amazing musicians. If the only reason for disliking Limp Bizkit is that you don't like Fred, then, you need to listen to the actual albums.

If you ever want to give Limp Bizkit a last chance, then, be it with this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJH82SPhiZM
0.jpg

Quarashi in the first page, Neogaf is saved.

Mdk7

No matter how bad some 'nu-metal' got, it was all worth it for this:

61lo7JnEXxL.jpg

Anyhoo, this thread shows just how stupid genres are. There's only two genres: music you dig and music you don't. Beyond that who gives a fuck.

I loved The Feeding even more, if possible.
And glad to see LD50 by Mudvayne mentioned here, it's one of my favorite albums ever.
But I (still) like Nu-metal, LOL.

prophetvx

I'm surprised at how many people are including Pantera, Machine Head and Fear Factory as Nu Metal.

- Pantera are definitely not nu metal.
- Machine Head have arguably 2 albums out of a large catalogue that have nu metal elements (burning red and supercharger) but they are a thrash band. It's like saying Anthrax are nu metal because they have rap in their music.
- Fear Factory are industrial.

Not every band who existed in the late 90's is Nu Metal. SOAD, Slipknot, Spineshank, Mudvayne etc are Nu Metal.

I'm surprised at how many people are including Pantera, Machine Head and Fear Factory as Nu Metal.

- Machine Head have arguably 2 albums out of a large catalogue that have nu metal elements (burning red and supercharger) but they are a thrash band. It's like saying Anthrax are nu metal because they have rap in their music.

Not every band who existed in the late 90's is Nu Metal. SOAD, Slipknot, Spineshank, Mudvayne etc are Nu Metal.

I agree with this.

How do you feel about people calling Sepultura (Chaos AD + Roots era) nu-metal?

Does Fear Factory count or is that more the progenitor Nu-Metal?

Fear Factory has a couple of albums that veered into Nu-Metal, but their largest contribution is Ross Robinson. His first production job was their Concrete demo. You can hear Robinson developing his production style on those songs. That earthy, dirty and low end heavy sound that would pretty much define Nu Metal. The band wasn't happy(they re-recorded most of the songs later with that digital and clean sound that would largely define Fear Factory) but Robinson was. He used that demo as his calling card to land the Korn gig.

PaulBizkit

I know one of the biggest reasons NuMetal got crapped on by the metal community was "lack of musicianship" and "melody." Most of them couldn't play a solo if their life dependent on it. Winger probably had more guitar playing talent than every NuMetal band that ever existed. It sounds like I am joking but nope.

Guitar solos are unnecessary like 85% of the time. And guitar solos in power/speed metal a fucking mess.
Then again, the only guitar solos I like are the ones in Comfortably Numb and Rock You Like a Hurricane.

Does Fear Factory count or is that more the progenitor Nu-Metal?

Fear Factory is industrial metal.

To be fair, nu metal bands ripped off a lot of industrial metal bands (especially Godflesh). I can kind of see how one could get them mixed up.

jmdajr

Fear Factory has a couple of albums that veered into Nu-Metal, but their largest contribution is Ross Robinson. His first production job was their Concrete demo. You can hear Robinson developing his production style on those songs. That earthy, dirty and low end heavy sound that would pretty much define Nu Metal. The band wasn't happy(they re-recorded most of the songs later with that digital and clean sound that would largely define Fear Factory) but Robinson was. He used that demo as his calling card to land the Korn gig.

Good history lesson. I didn't know his first album was with Fear Factory.

4bac97f0_o.png

Dinokill

I love Nu-metal. Back in the mid 90s to early 2000s was the last time metal/hard rock was mainstream and maybe that is why the genre is so hated.

I will give a list of albums you should listen if you want to get into that era.

Masterpieces; these are the albums that I think are masterpieces not only of the nu-metal genre but metal/hard rock in general

KoRn - Self titled(1994)
Korn-Korn.jpg

Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill Y'all(1997)
Limp_Bizkit_Three_Dollar_Bill_Y%27All.jpg

Slipknot - Self titled(1999)
Slipknot_-_Slipknot2.jpg

Slipknot - Iowa(2001)
Slipknot_Iowa.jpg

Mudvayne - L.D 5.0(2000)
ElDeeFifty.jpeg

System Of A Down - Toxicity(2001)
SystemofaDownToxicityalbumcover.jpg

Then you have really good albums like

KoRn - Life is Peachy, Follow The Leader
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other
Deftones - Around The Fur, Adrenaline, White Pony
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory, Meteora
Papa Roach - Infest
Coal Chamber - Self titled
Kid Rock - Cowboy

Recreat3

When i was in high school i listened to a lot of korn and i can still enjoy their first 4 albums
.anything after that i find is pretty hit and miss. One of the pioneers of nu-metal and theres a reason whym

The only one I can get behind being proper good, was Iowa. It was the perfect time for me as well, being 11 when it was released, so of course I was going to love 9 gorillas jumping around with masks on, so yeah I loved Slipknot. But only Iowa I can go back and listen to and think it's still good, although the self titled was decent as well. Then came Vol 3 which was a standard Rick Rubin joke of an album, and then it just all went to real shit from there.

At the time I wasn't that picky though. Listened to Papa Roach, Mudvayne, coal chamber, static x and so on. While I really don't like most of that anymore at all, I do appreciate it being a bit of a gateway, into heavier music.

prophetvx

To be fair, nu metal bands ripped off a lot of industrial metal bands (especially Godflesh). I can kind of see how one could get them mixed up.

Definitely. To be fair, Nu Metal is a weird genre to define in general, you just know it when you hear it. It's just aggressive sounding metal with hip hop, funk, DJ or sampling / electronic backgrounds mixed in. Devoid of solos, pretty simple instrument work and heavy on bass for the mostpart.

It's just a definitively 1998-2003 or so style of music. Just like you can define late 80's hip hop or mid 90's pop music.

It's a genre that hasn't aged well but most metal bands that existed through that period had some elements in the albums they created during that time. I certainly wouldn't define them as that genre though.

Machine Head is a big one, they have arguably some of the greatest contributions to the thrash genre with Burn my eyes and The more things change, so I definitely wouldn't call them Nu Metal. The Burning Red and Supercharger were blips on the radar, even if Supercharger had arguably one of their greatest songs which definitely wasn't thrash in deafening silence.

Yoritomo

I think it's stretching to count them as nu-metal but maybe I exclude them only because they don't suck

Deftones
SOAD
Soulfly

PaulBizkit

I love Nu-metal. Back in the mid 90s to early 2000s was the last time metal/hard rock was mainstream and maybe that is why the genre is so hated.

I will give a list of albums you should listen if you want to get into that era.

KoRn - Self titled(1994)

Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill Y'all(1997)

Slipknot - Self titled(1999)

Slipknot - Iowa(2001)

Mudvayne - L.D 5.0(2000)

System Of A Down - Toxicity(2001)

Then you have really good albums like

KoRn - Life is Peachy, Follow The Leader
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other
Deftones - Around The Fur, Adrenaline, White Pony
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory, Meteora
Papa Roach - Infest
Coal Chamber - Self titled
Kid Rock - Cowboy

Everything about this post is correct.

I'd say they were a pre-cursor for Nu Metal, just like RATM and Anthrax were, but it is still thrash and groove metal IMO. Soulfly are Nu Metal though.

Yeah as much as I love Roots (despite it not being even close to as good as earlier Sepultura) I just can't get into Soulfly. Now I gotta to listen to Attitude, what a great song.

Also this thread reminded of when Machine Head went full nu-metal. I hope Robb is embarssed by that video, because he should be.

GodofWine

This thread just makes me think that everyone's definition of nu metal is so specific and tailored that no one really could ever settle on who is and who isn't nu metal.

There was some really good bands and music mentioned in here that some people said was great, and some said was trash, because music is very personal.

AND OMG I saw the name Quarashi listed..I forgot about them, I had their CD, i think it was pretty good, can legit barely remember it, this is my spotify for the afternoon!

prophetvx

Yeah as much as I love Roots (despite it not being even close to as good as earlier Sepultura) I just can't get into Soulfly. Now I gotta to listen to Attitude, what a great song.

Also this thread reminded of when Machine Head went full nu-metal. I hope Robb is embarssed by that video, because he should be.

lol. I think that's actually what defines Nu Metal more than the sound. Terrible, terrible music videos. Man, The Burning Red was a terrible album. An era of music defined by stupid haircuts, jump suits and face masks

jmdajr

"Jumpdafuckup" is still the best description for nu-metal. Conjures images of jumpsuits, chain wallets, and dreadlocks.

I love Max Cavalera.
"It's time to Fuck Shit Up!"

My friend and I would sorta poke fun at him and do voice imitations for long periods of time.

"You hit drum with stick, jam on guitar, and you know, fuck shit it up. It great."

We would sing the song Bloody Roots, but instead say Baby Ruth. Man we were silly.
"Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth. Baby Ruthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

prophetvx

Ill Nino deserves some credit, they have some interesting Latin influenced stuff in their music, like this cool interlude. Can hear some of it in this chorus too. I think they have more going on musically than the average nu-metal band.

I used to give Revolution, Revolucion and Confession a good thrashing back in the day. The were a pretty good live act as well. Completely forgot about them after the albums that followed.

I liked the first few Korn albums and some Spineshank wasn't bad.still love rearranged by limp Bizkit.

As much as I am ashamed to have bought 3 Limp Bizkit albums back in the day, Rearranged still holds up as one of my favorite tracks of all time. It really is a great tune, haunting and hard at the same time.

I don't like the hate that nu metal gets. If people like it let them be. I don't listen to it anywhere near where as much as I used to, mostly because of a disconnect with the lyrical content, but it rocked my face off plenty back in the day and I am happy for that.

There have been some great suggestions here so far. I second Korn (up through at least Issues), Staind's Break the Cycle, Spineshank's The Height of Callousness, Coal Chamber's first 2 albums, System of a Down, Slipknot, and Mudvayne (if there's a song that rocks faces as hard as "Dig" I haven't heard it). Breaqking Benjamin were also good, and there were some one-hit bands like Taproot, Trust Company, Crossfade, etc.

Plenty to like. Haters need not apply. I'll take any of this stuff over the shitty pop-rock stuff that radio stations pass off as "alternative" these days.

GodofWine

I don't like the hate that nu metal gets. .

Agreed, Its such good gym/lifting music still, of course there was some trash, but the same can be said for all genres.

Also, trying to discuss "Rock" music in general, simply turns into a pissing contest of "I like metal core, I like nu-core, I like death viking metal, I like synth-metal..", like its worse than trying to discuss what place makes a good hamburger.

(Currently listening to Quarashi because I saw that name in this thread, and I had a CD of there's in like 1999, and it sure sounds more like hip-hop over a rock beat than nu-metal..still not sure what nu-metal is, and I lived pre, intra, and post it apparently.)

jmdajr

Agreed, Its such good gym/lifting music still, of course there was some trash, but the same can be said for all genres.

Also, trying to discuss "Rock" music in general, simply turns into a pissing contest of "I like metal core, I like nu-core, I like death viking metal, I like synth-metal..", like its worse than trying to discuss what place makes a good hamburger.

(Currently listening to Quarashi because I saw that name in this thread, and I had a CD of there's in like 1999, and it sure sounds more like hip-hop over a rock beat than nu-metal..still not sure what nu-metal is, and I lived pre, intra, and post it apparently.)

It's viking death metal! Get that straight!

DJChuy

I had no idea Breaking Benjamin was considered nu-metal.

Looking at the nu-metal playlist from Spotify, I never considered most of those artists or songs they have in there as nu-metal: Creed, Flyleaf, Three Days Grace, Hoobastank, etc.

Even that Butterfly song is in the playlist hahaha. "Come come my lady, you're my butterfly sugar baby." You learn something new everyday.

jmdajr

I had no idea Breaking Benjamin was considered nu-metal.

Looking at the nu-metal playlist from Spotify, I never considered most of those artists or songs they have in there as nu-metal: Creed, Flyleaf, Three Days Grace, Hoobastank, etc.

Even that Butterfly song is in the playlist hahaha. "Come come my lady, you're my butterfly sugar baby." You learn something new everyday.

Omg. I forget there are things in music I do hate.

spuckthew

I agree. Their early stuff was great. some of their songs had very interesting melodies. It was sort of like a British version of the Grunge/Nu-Metal sound.

A few favorites of mine:
https://youtu.be/QCAHl-zP__w
https://youtu.be/yfgstJb5zSk

It's a real shame because the band was always very musically talented. Even after their Nu-Metal days they did catchy very well. This one from the Spider-Man 2 OST brings back tons of '00 memories. I never cared for the singing or lyrics though. I can't imagine what it feels like to have that hard work thrown away because of that asshole.

Great songs, and couldn't have put it better myself.

PaulBizkit

Talk about hidden gems... Their 2002 album Stick Em Up has been pretty difficult to find, and fun fact: the song Xeneizes is about the Boca Juniors Soccer Club (the one Maradona became famous in).
Fuck You Puto is one of the best songs in that record

41ivzkcvzDL.jpg

And it sucks Hossi (main singer) left the band in mid-2003, since he put a lot of energy in its rapping. However, their Guerrilla Disco album (2005) is awesome, right off the bat, it starts with Payback, a hard hitting rock/rap song..

30951888594Quarashi_Guerilla_Disco_2005.jpg

Top Bottom