• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 03:28 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by dolemite

Next week's sales are going to be interesting.

Tomorrow (Sept 17th) Sony is launching three new Vita color versions
Tomorrow Resident Evil Revelations 2 will launch for Vita, alongside Samurai Warriros 4 Empire
Tomorrow a new Pokemon spinoff will hit the market, for 3DS
Yesterday (Sept 15th) Sony officially announced the PS4 price cut, let's see if Destiny the taken King and Samurai Warriors 4 empire will somehow manage to contain the possible "damage"
Sammy Samusu
(09-16-2015, 03:29 PM)
Sammy Samusu's Avatar
First time PSV dips below 10k in a long while, no?

PSV | 8.940
crinale
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:30 PM)
crinale's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aostia

Tomorrow (Sept 17th) Sony is launching three new Vita color versions
Tomorrow Resident Evil Revelations 2 will launch for Vita, alongside Samurai Warriros 4 Empire
Tomorrow a new Pokemon spinoff will hit the market, for 3DS
Yesterday (Sept 15th) Sony officially announced the PS4 price cut, let's see if Destiny the taken King and Samurai Warriors 4 empire will somehow manage to contain the possible "damage"

There were (quite minor) stock issues on Vita HW so next week it may go up a bit, but we'll see :D
(All color variants but black model were gone. I think Sony just let those colors to deplete from the market).
Alrus
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:30 PM)
Alrus's Avatar
Is Airu Village DX a full fledged sequel to the PSP games or is it just an enhanced port? Because if it's the latter, the mediocre performance isn't too surprising. The original game sold pretty well but the sequel did pretty meh iirc.

Originally Posted by Pennywise83

How many heavy core-centric games were released on Wii U, and how many of them had chances to sell well? Honest question.

Well if we're talking rpgs, Xenoblade X was a high budget sequel to a very well received game and it tanked pretty badly. I don't see how #FE could do better.
Mr Swine
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:31 PM)
Wow, I'm so impressed that Spaltoon is holding so well, but I guess its sales are going to get worse until the next big holiday push right? I dont think that cutting the price is going to help PS4 that much if the software isn't there. Any big games that is going to get released at the same time?

Also I think that Vita sales won't recover so much even with the new games being announced (like FF and so on). Also has there been any big announcements for the 3DS/N3DS or are revs focusing on Vita/NX for now?
Bruno MB
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:32 PM)
Bruno MB's Avatar

Code:

29./00. [3DS] Daigasso! Band Brothers P <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.14} (¥4.800) - 1.256 / 179.266 <80-100%>
The bomba bins are doing their job.

36.000 units sold since the last update over a year ago. According to Famitsu, the initial shipment (170.000) has finally been sold.

If we take a look at the other tracker (Media Create), at the beginning of the year there still were 67.000 unsold copies from the initial shipment. Another title where we can see a big discrepancy between the main trackers.
mao2
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:32 PM)
Oof that MGSV drop... I was expecting it to do better since it had stock problems at launch. Yeah I should stop predicting sales coz I obviously suck at it. D:
GhostTrick
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:33 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_lascar

Splatoon > Mario Kart 8.


(Famitsu)


Oscar Lemaire from GK, is that you ? :p
Scrawnton
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:34 PM)
Scrawnton's Avatar
Are Japanese gamers punishing Konami or something? That drop is crazy..
Pennywise83
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:35 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alrus

Well if we're talking rpgs, Xenoblade X was a high budget sequel to a very well received game and it tanked pretty badly. I don't see how #FE could do better.

Did XCX really tanked? The first one sold around 200k units, while XCX is around 140k units counting digital sales. It didn't increase from the previous entry but given the tiny Wii U installed base and the fact that it is boded to sell better than XC in Western markets, I cannot see how the game tanked. If we talk about disappointing sales, I agree with you.
crinale
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:35 PM)
crinale's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scrawnton

Are Japanese gamers punishing Konami or something? That drop is crazy..

Well Konami got no one but themselves to blame because they went super conservative on shipment (see Famitsu table to see how much stock is left on the market).
Freedom = $1.05
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:35 PM)
Freedom = $1.05's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pennywise83

How many heavy core-centric games were released on Wii U, and how many of them had chances to sell well? Honest question.

W101, Bayo2, Devil's Turd, XenoX

I'd say that W101, Bayo2, and XenoX had decent pushes, too. Devil's Turd had no chance in hell of doing well so i can't fault them on that.

Seems that the attempt at a new Capcom 5 with some of these hardcore games had similar results as it did the first time around.

Seems the things that sell the best are games that appeal to both the casual and the hardcore, a niche that Nintendo is incredibly good at exploiting. Maybe the best, really
Kandinsky
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:36 PM)
Kandinsky's Avatar
That's a pretty good drop for DQVIII, wom been positive I guess?
crinale
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:37 PM)
crinale's Avatar
Well XenoX underperforming TW3 on PS4 with like half install base and predecessor's sales figure like 4K or so is very telling IMHO.
Meier
(09-16-2015, 03:37 PM)
Meier's Avatar
I'm amazed Rhythm Heaven is a full price game despite being a re-release. What does the plus signify? How much new content is there?
kuroneko0509
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:37 PM)
kuroneko0509's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alrus

Is Airu Village DX a full fledged sequel to the PSP games or is it just an enhanced port? Because if it's the latter, the mediocre performance isn't too surprising. The original game sold pretty well but the sequel did pretty meh iirc.



Well if we're talking rpgs, Xenoblade X was a high budget sequel to a very well received game and it tanked pretty badly. I don't see how #FE could do better.

should be enhanced port I think
KillerMan91
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:37 PM)
KillerMan91's Avatar

Originally Posted by mao2

Oof that MGSV drop... I was expecting it to do better since it had stock problems at launch. Yeah I should stop predicting sales coz I obviously suck at it. D:

Stock problems could have led people to buy it more digitally though.
Chris1964
Sales-Age Genius
(09-16-2015, 03:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Freedom = $1.05

W101, Bayo2, Devil's Turd, XenoX

I'd say that W101, Bayo2, and XenoX had decent pushes, too. Devil's Turd had no chance in hell of doing well so i can't fault them on that.

Seems that the attempt at a new Capcom 5 with some of these hardcore games had similar results as it did the first time around.

Sometime we must decide what "decent push" means in these threads. I hadn't follewed the game but I doubt Nintendo cared a bit for W101.

Originally Posted by KillerMan91

Stock problems could have led people to buy it more digitally though.

Stock problems for last week existed or no?
noshten
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:38 PM)
noshten's Avatar
It's a good opening for SMM, but it needs to show some legs.
Splatoon holding on but unable to do 20K this week - I'm dissapointed at 3K of the new Wii U owners not getting Splatoon(unless they went digital).
Drop in MGS and PS4 was to be expected
BriBri
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:39 PM)
BriBri's Avatar
Perhaps a new business strategy for Bandai Namco is that they have announced Shuriken Sentai Ninninger (3DS) digital only for 30 September priced at ¥1,000 (http://ninnin-game.bn-ent.net/). Typically this sort of game would've been a ¥5,000 retail title.
Devilgunman
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:39 PM)
Devilgunman's Avatar
MGSV sale is worrisome now. It sold ~ 3M so far but that is still not enough to break even let alone making a profit.
Bioshocker
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:40 PM)
Bioshocker's Avatar
What happened to MGS V? That's quite a drop.
hiska-kun
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:40 PM)
hiska-kun's Avatar
Next week is Silver Week (Sep 19 - Sep 23)
Monday 21st, Tuesday 22nd and Wednesday 23rd are national holidays, forming Silver Week.
Sales should increase

Media Create and Famitsu numbers will be delayed until Friday 25th.
benao
Junior Member
(09-16-2015, 03:40 PM)
benao's Avatar

Originally Posted by KillerMan91

Destiny white bundle.

Originally Posted by Ryng_Tolu

Destiny.

Oh,thanks.
BadWolf
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:40 PM)
BadWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Devilgunman

MGSV sale is worrisome now. It sold ~ 3M so far but that is still not enough to break even let alone making a profit.

The sales are just right for Japan imo (best opening for an MGS despite the crap state of console gaming there).

WW remains to be seen.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 03:41 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Devilgunman

MGSV sale is worrisome now. It sold ~ 3M so far but that is still not enough to break even let alone making a profit.

Well, they already fired all the senior staff in advance, so I'm assuming they didn't expect a good profit.

That said, the West will be about 10 times more important for the game than its Japanese sales.
sörine
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by crinale

Well XenoX underperforming TW3 on PS4 with like half install base and predecessor's sales figure like 4K or so is very telling IMHO.

Witcher 3 is actually the outlier here, it beat everyone's expectations. That's sort of like saying every PS3/4 shooter underperforming Splatoon is "very telling".
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 03:41 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alrus

Is Airu Village DX a full fledged sequel to the PSP games or is it just an enhanced port? Because if it's the latter, the mediocre performance isn't too surprising. The original game sold pretty well but the sequel did pretty meh iirc.

Well if we're talking rpgs, Xenoblade X was a high budget sequel to a very well received game and it tanked pretty badly. I don't see how #FE could do better.

I think, but just think, it is some sort of port.
Can't see XCX as a bomb, honestly. The first one sold around 190k, the sequel on a dead platoform sold around 135k, higher than the first one in the same life-span. Of course it will end up selling less (it's probably dead by now).
I'm not saying that #FE will sell well, btw.

Originally Posted by crinale

There were (quite minor) stock issues on Vita HW so next week it may go up a bit, but we'll see :D
(All color variants but black model were gone. I think Sony just let those colors to deplete from the market).



Originally Posted by Freedom = $1.05

W101, Bayo2, Devil's Turd, XenoX

I'd say that W101, Bayo2, and XenoX had decent pushes, too. Devil's Turd had no chance in hell of doing well so i can't fault them on that.

Seems that the attempt at a new Capcom 5 with some of these hardcore games had similar results as it did the first time around.

Seems the things that sell the best are games that appeal to both the casual and the hardcore, a niche that Nintendo is incredibly good at exploiting. Maybe the best, really

he asked for games with sales potential. Devil't Third had zero sales potential, if anything, considering it wasn't neither released on the market (amazon excluvise, not tracked by MC nor Famitsu - nor Dengeki).
W101 has sales potential and a good push? Really? I really doubt it.
Bayonetta 2 has some potential instead: it sold around 300k on both PS360 back in the days.
Xenoblade imho sold as much as the environment suggested (the first one sold slighlty better on a way more popular console).
I repeat, I'm not saying that #FE will sell, and I agree with your last sentence.
ethomaz
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:42 PM)
After MSGV boost PS4 back to September/August baseline.

~18k

It was expected.

The MGSV drop is normal I guess... anybody has the MGSIV drop for PS3?

Edit - MGSIV data.

01./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 465,000 / NEW
2. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 68,000 / 533,000

85% drop.

It is normal guys.
crinale
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:44 PM)
crinale's Avatar
I'm not so sure if Nintendo will give "decent" push to #FE though. I won't be surprised at all if they treat the thing by the same level of W101.
KillerMan91
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:46 PM)
KillerMan91's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1964

Stock problems for last week existed or no?

Dunno. He talked about stock problems and I answered that it could lead bigger digital sales. If it didn't have stock problems then obviously this is not a case.
thestopsign
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:47 PM)
thestopsign's Avatar

Originally Posted by crinale

I'm not so sure if Nintendo will give "decent" push to #FE though. I won't be surprised at all if they treat the thing by the same level of W101.

They attached one of their blossoming IPs in Fire Emblem to it, I don't think they are going to let it go unnoticed. Especially with a holiday launch.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 03:48 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar
With #FE, we're talking about a game that was first signed back around the January after the Wii U came out when they were still making decisions like publishing Bayonetta 2 and thinking the system would appeal well to both core and casual gamers, instead of being one of the biggest disasters in the industry's history.

Atlus was also an independent company back then that they could have conceivably held a long time partnership with much more easily on a series like this, whereas Sega is going to want to be more optimal with their resources, and generally publish their own games to boot.

I'm not expecting a huge push here. What kind of sales are people expecting? 100K? 200K?
RPGamer92
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:49 PM)
RPGamer92's Avatar

Originally Posted by crinale

I'm not so sure if Nintendo will give "decent" push to #FE though. I won't be surprised at all if they treat the thing by the same level of W101.

They will market it much better. they need to do is throw the FE and SMT names around and it'll sell decently or at the least, much better than TW101 and B2.
Usobuko
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:49 PM)
Wii U had a great jump, better than some of previous heavyweight release iirc.

Thanks to Splatoon raising the base line too.
Darius
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Sammy Samusu

First time PSV dips below 10k in a long while, no?

PSV | 8.940

PSVs performance has been bad for quite some time now, hovering in the low 10k range, so it´s no big surprise. But I agree sub 9k-10k is even worse, especially for a handheld in Japan. At least something positive, the new colours will cause a spike next week.
Pennywise83
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:51 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freedom = $1.05

W101, Bayo2, Devil's Turd, XenoX

I'd say that W101, Bayo2, and XenoX had decent pushes, too. Devil's Turd had no chance in hell of doing well so i can't fault them on that.

Seems that the attempt at a new Capcom 5 with some of these hardcore games had similar results as it did the first time around.

Seems the things that sell the best are games that appeal to both the casual and the hardcore, a niche that Nintendo is incredibly good at exploiting. Maybe the best, really

Bayo 2 tanked - true. W101 and Devils' Third, well, they would have been hard to sell everywhere. XCX might have been disappointing but not a total bomb.

Originally Posted by Alrus

Is Airu Village DX a full fledged sequel to the PSP games or is it just an enhanced port? Because if it's the latter, the mediocre performance isn't too surprising. The original game sold pretty well but the sequel did pretty meh iirc.

It should be a deluxe edition - the PSP game already received a G-version on the same platform.
duckroll
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:51 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1964

Sometime we must decide what "decent push" means in these threads. I hadn't follewed the game but I doubt Nintendo cared a bit for W101.

I think Nintendo cares but simply doesn't understand how to effectively market such games. I mean, if you're saying that Nintendo put a poor effort in marketing the games, I totally agree, but I don't feel it is because they literally don't care about the game doing well. Nintendo's strength is it using their family friendly brand image to generate awareness in the public and get people to talk about the games they're playing. So even with the dismal performance of the WiiU, some of their games can have a long tail because there's the social aspect driving awareness. With heavy core-centric games, they're basically their own niches in a sense, and Nintendo lacks the ability to tap into those niches to attract their attention. That's something they have suffered from since Gamecube days.
Alo0oy
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:51 PM)
TPP sold only 4k to 9k less than 4 depending on the tracker, likely higher than 4 if you include digital. There's nothing out of the ordinary here, we don't have digital sales numbers, but the numbers are incredibly close, so MGS5 either sold as well as your average mainline MGS, or as high as the best selling one, depending on how good digital sales are, since it's not that far off from being the best selling one either.
Freedom = $1.05
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:52 PM)
Freedom = $1.05's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aostia

he asked for games with sales potential. Devil't Third had zero sales potential, if anything, considering it wasn't neither released on the market (amazon excluvise, not tracked by MC nor Famitsu - nor Dengeki).
W101 has sales potential and a good push? Really? I really doubt it.
Bayonetta 2 has some potential instead: it sold around 300k on both PS360 back in the days.
Xenoblade imho sold as much as the environment suggested (the first one sold slighlty better on a way more popular console).
I repeat, I'm not saying that #FE will sell, and I agree with your last sentence.

I said decent push. W101 got some E3 exposure and some Direct love, it wasn't shunned off to a corner like DTurd was.

the rest of the games got better pushes, sure, but they also benefitted from a larger install base and not being new IPs. There was built in interest already.

regardless, i dont see FE killing it unless they announce that you can main the boy and girl from splatoon.
noshten
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:52 PM)
noshten's Avatar
According to Famitsu Numbers

Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21):
[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 4.836 / 673.936

Week 37, 2015 (Sep 07 - Sep 13):
[WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 14.676 / 671.130




The main thing right now is how Splatoon holds up until December if it continues to chug a long it should pass 850K before the Holidays. Considering MK8 got bundled - Splatoon is killing it.

Media Create - Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04):
06./08. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 28.403 / 880.180 (-26%)
Famitsu Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)
[WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 35.244 / 877.297 <80-100%> (-19%)
Ridley327
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:53 PM)
Ridley327's Avatar

Originally Posted by crinale

I'm not so sure if Nintendo will give "decent" push to #FE though. I won't be surprised at all if they treat the thing by the same level of W101.

It's been getting a lot of coverage in Famitsu since the full unveiling, hasn't it? With how much of a turnaround FE has made as a whole, I can't see Nintendo just shoveling the game out without any promotion. That doesn't mean it will sell well, but the signs aren't there that they're taking the attitude of "well, whatever" with it.
Pennywise83
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:53 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar

Originally Posted by crinale

I'm not so sure if Nintendo will give "decent" push to #FE though. I won't be surprised at all if they treat the thing by the same level of W101.

Well, a Wii U bundle and a limited edition is already a lot more than what they did for W101. It is also releasing during holidays, which might help sales. FE# should also be more appealing than W101.

Originally Posted by duckroll

I think Nintendo cares but simply doesn't understand how to effectively market such games. I mean, if you're saying that Nintendo put a poor effort in marketing the games, I totally agree, but I don't feel it is because they literally don't care about the game doing well. Nintendo's strength is it using their family friendly brand image to generate awareness in the public and get people to talk about the games they're playing. So even with the dismal performance of the WiiU, some of their games can have a long tail because there's the social aspect driving awareness. With heavy core-centric games, they're basically their own niches in a sense, and Nintendo lacks the ability to tap into those niches to attract their attention. That's something they have suffered from since Gamecube days.

True. On the other hand we had Fatal Frame that sold greatly on Wii and not-so-bad on Wii U. Plenty of niche Nintendo games sold well on DS and 3DS too (FE is quite a core series and sold 500k+ on DS). Or when you're talking about heavy core-centric games you mean those targeted towards a mature audience (e.g. Bayonetta) instead of high school students?
crinale
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:53 PM)
crinale's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

I think Nintendo cares but simply doesn't understand how to effectively market such games. I mean, if you're saying that Nintendo put a poor effort in marketing the games, I totally agree, but I don't feel it is because they literally don't care about the game doing well. Nintendo's strength is it using their family friendly brand image to generate awareness in the public and get people to talk about the games they're playing. So even with the dismal performance of the WiiU, some of their games can have a long tail because there's the social aspect driving awareness. With heavy core-centric games, they're basically their own niches in a sense, and Nintendo lacks the ability to tap into those niches to attract their attention. That's something they have suffered from since Gamecube days.

I agree and to me #FE looks the exact opposite of bolded part (same goes to Bayo2 and such). We'll see what kind of ads they come up with to push the thing.
allan-bh
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:54 PM)
allan-bh's Avatar

Originally Posted by BadWolf

The sales are just right for Japan imo (best opening for an MGS despite the crap state of console gaming there).

WW remains to be seen.

"Best opening" depends of which tracker will be used, so was not a clearly best opening for the series.
BadWolf
Member
(09-16-2015, 03:56 PM)
BadWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by allan-bh

"Best opening" depends of which tracker will be used, so was not a clearly best opening for the series.

I personally have no doubt that it is when combined with digital.

The opening is up there for the series any way you look at it, not much to complain about.
Alo0oy
Banned
(09-16-2015, 03:59 PM)

Originally Posted by allan-bh

"Best opening" depends of which tracker will be used, so was not a clearly best opening for the series.

The fact that there's a likelihood that this game had the best opening in the series only means that the game can still sell as well as MGS4, but that entirely depends on how well it does in the upcoming weeks & how well it does digitally, it won't sell as well as 2 or 3 obviously since those games had expansions, & any expansion TPP will have will likely be an addon and not an enhanced re-release.
duckroll
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:00 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pennywise83

True. On the other hand we had Fatal Frame that sold greatly on Wii and not-so-bad on Wii U. Plenty of niche Nintendo games sold well on DS and 3DS too (FE is quite a core series and sold 500k+ on DS). Or when you're talking about heavy core-centric games you mean those targeted towards a mature audience (e.g. Bayonetta) instead of high school students?

I would not say "greatly" because these are pretty low expectations to begin with, but I will say that it's worth noting that the sort of horror Fatal Frame uses is pretty popular as a mainstream cultural thing in Japan, so it's probably easier to sell just on premise alone without any sort of unique push. The same can be said of something like Attack on Titan for example, where it is so widespread in terms of popular culture that people are just aware of what it is, without needing a specific "otaku" market.
Freedom = $1.05
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:00 PM)
Freedom = $1.05's Avatar
regarding MGSV figures: you have to account for the fact that they basically peeled off the entire intro to the game and sold it as Ground Zeroes for a premium. Millions of copies of MGSV were already sold before a single copy of TPP hit shelves. It did well in Japan, too.

If you consider the two releases part of a whole package, the entirely of MGSV has been a success even with TPP selling at around the same levels as MGS4 did solely in part to how well GZ sold. It was the second best selling PS4 game at one point, only being beaten by Knack (a bundled game). Not something to sneeze at.
Moor-Angol
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Bruno MB

Code:

29./00. [3DS] Daigasso! Band Brothers P <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.14} (¥4.800) - 1.256 / 179.266 <80-100%>
The bomba bins are doing their job.

36.000 units sold since the last update over a year ago. According to Famitsu, the initial shipment (170.000) has finally been sold.

If we take a look at the other tracker (Media Create), at the beginning of the year there still were 67.000 unsold copies from the initial shipment. Another title where we can see a big discrepancy between the main trackers.


I really don't understand how this game which is in the bomba baskets from months could have charted last week
I'm loosing my faith in Famitsu, M-C here I come

Thread Tools