• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already the best selling game of 2017 on Amazon

Smash
Pokemon Stars
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Zelda

Switch is going to break all holiday records for consoles sold.

If they can manufacture enough

If you didn't own a Wii U, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the first console Mario Kart game in almost a decade.

Yes, Mario Kart Wii came out almost exactly 9 years ago. Teenagers in high school (even ones who aren't typically "gamers") have a surprising amount of nostalgia for Mario Kart Wii.

joecanada

Because nobody in the right mind trusts any financial information with Sony.

Prepaid cards are the only way.

limiting your online cards anywhere online is always a prudent option. no one has ever shown their cc info being directly robbed off of sony servers, but we've had plenty of threads where people's passwords were hacked. it's their password every time.

they have 2FA but no one uses it as usual.

(but should have had 2FA much earlier).

BigPete

It was Capitan Todd.

O7xgg7s.jpg

Toddette should have a pink mustache.

Servbot24

Banned
Smash
Pokemon Stars
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Zelda

Switch is going to break all holiday records for consoles sold.

If they can manufacture enough

I'm thinking Smash is next year, but honestly the rest of those with Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 is still enough to have huge sales.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
limiting your online cards anywhere online is always a prudent option. no one has ever shown their cc info being directly robbed off of sony servers, but we've had plenty of threads where people's passwords were hacked. it's their password every time.

they have 2FA but no one uses it as usual.

(but should have had 2FA much earlier).

Cc being robbed from Sony servers is a lower concern than a scammer buying shit and Sony not offering refunds.

You either eat the cost to keep your account or chargeback and lose your PSN account.

It was a hell of a game, but I just don't see me buying it again. I already played it to death on the WiiU.

That said I hope it all the best. More Switches and more Mario Karts sold mean more games for me down the road.

Nintendo can't do Smash, Odyssey and Pokémon this year. I feel like that's just too much and they may not have enough consoles to produce.

Pokémon is usually a yearly titles so if there is a Pokémon Stars it will release this year. Smash should be early next year.

VariantX

Why the hell are PSN cards so popular on Amazon?

I use them so I never have any sensitive financial account info on PSN. I've had someone get into my account and buy a bunch of FIFA Ultimate Team bullshit to the tune of $100 about 3 years ago. Its no my standard practice on all hardware platforms, regardless of their reputation for account security because at the end of the day they only have to succeed at getting your credit/debit info only once in a sea of a million failures to ruin your day.

TS-08

I'm thinking Smash is next year, but honestly the rest of those with Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 is still enough to have huge sales.

Yeah assuming the Smash and Pokémon rumors are true, I see one of those not coming out until next year. I think you're right that Smash would come next year. Releasing in, say, March would be a great way to keep the ball rolling into next year.

Nintendo can't do Smash, Odyssey and Pokémon this year. I feel like that's just too much and they may not have enough consoles to produce.

Pokémon is usually a yearly titles so if there is a Pokémon Stars it will release this year. Smash should be early next year.

Yeah, those three aren't all launching this fall. They probably would be if Switch were off to a slow start, but they won't release them all in 2017 at this rate.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is this legit positive news?
I small used to MC threads were Amazon preorders and sales mean nothing to actually sales charts

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yeah, those three aren't all launching this fall. They probably would be if Switch were off to a slow start, but they won't release them all in 2017 at this rate.

Just a guess here, but maybe Nintendo is hoping the huge sales of the system will spurn more third party, which will look good when trying to court more third party developers. I mean, so far, the third party on there is making bank.

Giving some room for them to breathe helps.

NeonZ

Nintendo, bring on ALL the Wii U ports. WW, TP, Captain Todd, Bayonetta, W101, TMS#FE. There is a market and this proves it.

I don't think a port of a game like W101 would do much, really. It performed badly even compared to other Wii U titles. Captain Toad, Bayonetta 1/2, WW and TP could add more to their sales, but it's not like they'd explode or anything. You can't compare their performance to Mario Kart.

TMS#FE could do better if they added actual FE characters to the game as guest party members (rather than unrecognizable Mirages), but that would likely be too much work. I don't think a straight port of the original game would do much. It's another game that did badly even for the Wii U.

Dinjoralo

For a moment, I thought the PSN cards were weirdly shiny and crumpled up, but that's just the pattern on them. :p

Yep, this shows the power of mario kart, when it's on a system people own. Things are definitely looking up for Nintendo!

It was Capitan Todd.

O7xgg7s.jpg

Oh my god, I just noticed all the Todds have mustaches.

It would be smart to release Pokemon this year. That'd be the single gambit that could most easily sway over all the fence-sitting 3DS owners. Hell, throw in Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest XI for Japan and the holiday sales would not even be funny.

One point against Smash Bros. coming out this year would be if they want to give ARMS room to breathe. Smash would kill its LEGS if it came out too soon after it.

I agree.

Just a guess here, but maybe Nintendo is hoping the huge sales of the system will spurn more third party, which will look good when trying to court more third party developers. I mean, so far, the third party on there is making bank.

Giving some room for them to breathe helps.

That's a really good point. The Switch is selling so well so give third party devs some time to sell their games like Skyrim for example. They have Monopoly coming and whatever else gets announced. Release those games in August and September.

It would be smart to release Pokemon this year. That'd be the single gambit that could most easily sway over all the fence-sitting 3DS owners. Hell, throw in Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest XI for Japan and the holiday sales would not even be funny.

One point against Smash Bros. coming out this year would be if they want to give ARMS room to breathe. Smash would kill its LEGS if it came out too soon after it.

Another good point is Nintendo will need to bring the 3DS fans over and yeah Pokémon for sure does that lol.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Someone put our boy Shubham on suicide watch...

Aren't those PSN cards likely to have been used on Horizon: Zero Dawn though?

Can we somehow make this the first post, please?

I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably prove that the Wii U really was just such an unappealing black hole of a console that wasfundamentally flawed in its concept, so much to the point where nobody but us Nintendo diehards wanted to buy it, even if it had good games on it.

Now, that was pretty obvious all along, but I'm just bringing it up because a lot of folks were saying in the past that "uh, if people didn't buy a Wii U for MK8 why would they buy a Switch for it?", ignoring the fact that the Switch is a far more stronger concept for a console and thus obviously more appealing to the masses.

Has the Switch even sold enough to accurately measure popularity outside Nintendo die hard fans?

Why is Nintendo not advertising the hell out of HD Rumble in this game?

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me.

Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.

Yeah assuming the Smash and Pokémon rumors are true, I see one of those not coming out until next year. I think you're right that Smash would come next year. Releasing in, say, March would be a great way to keep the ball rolling into next year.

Hell no.

The party doesn't stop. Keep the games coming.

qz2XGGH.gif

Has the Switch even sold enough to accurately measure popularity outside Nintendo die hard fans?
I can't say, but I consider myself a "Nintendo diehard" and I didn't touch the system. Me and many others I know who were not Wii U owners grabbed a Switch simply because the system is really damn cool and a great concept. They have a pretty big backlog of games to put on the system that I believe will largely, in one form or another, make their way on here, so I anticipate ports and sequels and new games loading the system up for a good while now. I really hope this thing is a success.

javac

The only thing that'll curb the sales of this game is the inevitable release of MK9, would be the first time a system got more that one MK game. MK9 in 2019?

Roubjon

I'm super surprised. I'm never going to buy it because getting 4 controllers is too much money when I already have it for WiiU. Is it mainly new people buying it?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm super surprised. I'm never going to buy it because getting 4 controllers is too much money when I already have it for WiiU. Is it mainly new people buying it?

I'd imagine most early adopters on Switch also had a WiiU. I played a ton of MK8, but I rebought it on Switch.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Well technically you only need to buy one more set of joycons for 4p.

Lingitiz

It's an online game and people want to play it on a new platform that is going to last for several years.

Top Bottom