• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Don't Finish Games - Raptr 360 Completion Stats

Dance In My Blood said:
The difference is probably that these numbers are for people signed up for Raptr, and probably play more games and more of them.

Those numbers you have are everyone.

Good point, i had no idea what Raptr was and thought it was some kind of data collection company. Makes Red Dead's numbers even more surprising, i guess the lesson is don't hide your last mission in a gigantic open world.

bumpkin

Well, when the developers inundate the achievement lists with either really hard or multiplayer specific items, it's shitty for people who may not be really good at playing (or using exploits in) some games. That accounts for several games I've played a lot but never "finished."

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
jooey said:
quoted in case anyone wanted to pinpoint the bullshit
Right ... aren't these stats including people that are simply hacking/gaming the system for achievements?

To me, that would explain how high many of the shooter achievements are.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sickboy007 said:
Good point, i had no idea what Raptr was and thought it was some kind of data collection company. Makes Red Dead's numbers even more surprising, i guess the lesson is don't hide your last mission in a gigantic open world.

The issue I had with Red Dead is that
after you die, the remaining missions were not very compelling, so I was not excited for them.
I still finished though. But after lots of MP and open world playing.

What I am surprised at is the high percentage for shooters. GAF told me people only play MP.

Shaheed79 said:
All the "walk-a-games" have high completion rates. I wonder what the NES, Genesis, PSX and PS2 completion rates were for a generational comparison.

probably much, much lower. We take for granted things like "being able to save your game" the existence of walkthroughs/gamefaqs, and "easy mode"- not to mention the average game is much, MUCH easier.

I don't think even many GAFers today can complete shit like TMNT, Castlevania I, Ghosts N Goblins, or Solomon's Key in one sitting even with save states. Some kids could lay claim to stuff like that but I'm pretty sure they were in the minority.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Would be nice to get the numbers behind those percentages.

What # of Raptr users played Mass Effect 2, and what % of those finished the game.

I know everyone loves 40 hour epics but I think there's a lot of room in today's market for shorter games, which I'm fine with. Especially if there's a lot of replay value (new game +, stuff like that.)

Phenomic

Apparently I finish games at least according to this list. Out of the 9 ... 11 I've played I've completed and received endings for all 9 ... 11.

*Edit* Missed Braid and Dead Space.

lupin23rd

Sometimes I think we should just drop achievements / trophies and just have a checklist for whether you've beaten the game.

Also fuck games that don't have achievements / trophies for actually beating the game (White Knight Chronicles, looking at you but I'm sure there are plenty others).

Yeef

I've completed every game on that list that I've played.

The only things that will keep me from completing a game is not liking it or not finishing it in time before a game I'm really anticipating gets released. In the latter case though, I'll generally go back to it later if I find the time.

stop making these big mega epic games no one cares. stop padding the perceived "value" of the $60 game.

make more games like limbo: cheap, couple hours, gameplay refined to its essence, boom.

seriously, save your sci-fi schlock storyline and fmv and just serve up the goods.

-viper-

Banned
i try to finish 95% of my games. for me, SP is very important. i prefer it over MP as there tends to be little bullshit regarding lag and lack of retards.

the few games i havent finished are GTA4 (this game takes fucking forever to complete) and darksiders (it took me 7 hours to finish THE FIRST CHAPTER).

wormstrangler said:
57% of 360 gamers couldn't shoot the asteroids in Dead Space.

:lol

This actually was the deal-breaker for the platinum for me. I enjoyed every part of the game except that.

On-topic, the completion rates are about what I'd expect, especially for the the Open World games.

Personally, every game I have is beaten unless I hated it. Like Prototype or Singularity, 0% and 1% respectively.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I try to finish games...but having a 40-hr work week, plus gym time, plus dating leaves very little time to finish any game. :/

I like to finish my games from beginning to end because I feel like I got the full value out of it. To me, it's almost like watching 50% of a good movie and never finishing up the rest. These statistics are fairly surprising considering how many people complain that games are way too short nowadays. It seems like these statistics show that quite a few gamers do not even complete most single player campaigns no matter how long or short the game may be. I could maybe understand Red Dead, Fallout or GTA4, but some of the games up there are not even really lengthy. If gamers are just plying multiplayer modes in these games, that is worrying because in the future that could mean developers will spend less time on single player campaigns and more on multiplayer if gamers do not/cannot finish games.

Modern Warfare 2
Complete the game - 66.75%

Completed

Mass Effect 2
Complete Final Story Mission - 65.8%

Completed

CoD4 Modern Warfare
Complete the Game - 64.41%

Completed

Gears of War 2
Complete all acts - 62.22%

Completed

Assassins Creed 2
Complete Final Mission - 57.59%

Working on, nearly at end of game

Halo 3
Complete the Game - 56.69%

Completed

Halo Reach
Complete the Game - 56.18%

Completed

Shadow Complex
Complete the Game - 55.88%

Completed

Gears of War
Complete all acts - 55.84%

Completed. Also on Insane :p

Mass Effect
Complete Mass Effect Playthrough - 54.79%

Completed twice

Resident Evil 5
Complete All Chapters - 54.54%

Completed. Also on Professional

Halo ODST
Complete the Game - 53.68%

Completed

Fallout 3
Finish Finally Story Mission - 44.85%

Working on. WOW, this game is long.

Bayonetta
Complete all Chapters on any difficulty - 43.58%

Completed multiple times. Also, on hardest level.

Dead Space
Complete the game - 43.24%

Completed several times

Devil May Cry 4
Complete All Missions - 36.78%

Complete multiple times

Alan Wake
Complete the game - 35.56%

Completed game and Signal DLC

Dead Rising
Survive 72hours - 26.18%

Completed 6 times? maybe 5?

Shame on some of you gamers for not completing some of these gems on the list. Then again, I don't have a lot time for gaming myself, so I can understand some of the games. I still want to know who is doing all of the, "games are too short" complaining.

X26

Banned
are enough people even registered with this app to make the number smeans anything?

5% seems way too low for RDR

I have a lot of games. Most sit unfinished and I really don't give a damn.

If a game is still offering up new mechanics and interesting environments beyond the halfway mark I'm usually surprised. If it has a story that's engrossing enough for me to keep playing as well I'm doubly surprised.

I feel good now. I've completed every game on that list except for three, one of which - Bayonetta - Idon't own. Fallout 3 and Dead Rising are the only games on there I didn't finish.

My only problem with these kind of reports is some pundits and devs get ahold of the information and make wierd responces to them. I worry it's due to a fear of "wasting resources" more than smarter game-making.

Like alot have said in this, DUH, the games buttpuckeringly hard and/or with a crapton of choices of how to play it will have that one way to play it see a drop.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This I find odd:
http://raptr.com/game/360/Ace_Combat_6_Fires_of_Liberation/achievements

Mission 11: 33.91%
Mission 12: 4.67%

What the hell happened? Was Mission 12 that hard? I don't recall any really hard mission.

Also, this suggest that there was a 4% sell though of the Katamari DLC, good or bad, you be the judge (The only way to get this was to complete a DLC level):
http://raptr.com/game/360/Beautiful_Katamari/achievements

Astronomic Katamari: 4.29%

But this one suggests the whole thing may just be bugged:
http://raptr.com/game/360/Tales_of_Vesperia/achievements

Map Nerd: 24.35%
Recovered the Aque Blastia: 8%

I am pretty sure the second one is impossible to not trigger though normal gameplay, while the first is something you would only get near the end.

Cruceh

Banned
all the games i played on the list

mw2
me2 - finished
cod4
ac2
h3 - finished
h:r - finished
gow - finished
cc - finished
me
re5
cod:waw
f3
ac
bayonetta
dmc4
gta4

sounds about right

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Finished? Hell, there's a large percentage of games I own that I haven't even STARTED.

I never finish anything. I have a ridiculous amount of 360 games and hardly any have truly been completed. Every time I'm mid way through a game I buy something else and start that. Or I'll decide to take a break to play some multiplayer (SSFIV / COD) and never get back to whatever game I was playing before hand. Hell, I have a bunch of games I haven't even taken out of the shrink wrap yet. I need help =/

Beaten by me said:
Mass Effect 2
Complete Final Story Mission - 65.8%

CoD4 Modern Warfare
Complete the Game - 64.41%

Halo 3
Complete the Game - 56.69%

Halo Reach
Complete the Game - 56.18%

Gears of War
Complete all acts - 55.84%

Mass Effect
Complete Mass Effect Playthrough - 54.79%

Assassins Creed
Complete Assassins Creed - 44.57%

Darksiders
Complete the game - 30.81%

Bailed on by me said:
Modern Warfare 2 - Sucked
Complete the game - 66.75%

Resident Evil 5 - Last Boss is just confusing.
Complete All Chapters - 54.54%

Grand Theft Auto IV - About 85% through, beat both expansions, missions just got stupid
Complete the final mission - 32.15%

Dead Rising - Sucked
Survive 72hours - 26.18%

Work in Progress said:
Bayonetta - Just got it for Christmas
Complete all Chapters on any difficulty - 43.58%

I'd say I've gotten much better recently, I had a huge backlog entering 2010.

Tazo

I can definitely understand the completion rate on Red Dead Redemption being so low. As mentioned in this thread, the real ending comes after a stranger mission, which appears some time after the supposed final mission has ended. The game isn't over until you see the credits.

I can imagine most people finishing what they thought was the final mission, quitting the game and not returning to single player again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gowans007 said:
Let me try this again, the Below is from a Raptr.com study of percentage of registered gamers who have played a game and completed it looking at the percentage who gained the final achievement.

Horrible way to go by. Glitched achievements, etc.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
People are just overloaded with choices I think. Between all the consoles, handhelds + PC/Steam, it's easy for some people to have a short attention span. Not that I'm complaining, but I also rarely ever finish a game. I play 'til I'm bored and that's about it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'm honestly surprised by this. One of my biggest reasons for playing games is to reach the 'end'. I assumed most others were the same way.

I buy and play more games than I finish, though I do still finish a lot of them. It's just a matter of letting the best games command my time. It's pretty much impossible to determine in advance which games I'll like best (or at all), even now when demos are more widely available than ever. I'm certainly not going to force myself to finish a game if I'm not (still) enjoying it, or even if I'm just more into another game at the moment.

RedSwirl

Out all the games on that list the only one I've played and not completed is Braid, and that's just because that game annoyed the hell out of me.

I did a full count a while ago and I've finished about three quarters of all the games I own, plus I've rented and completed a fair amount of games.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm not seeing any 40 hour epics people keep talking about up there. The majority would be around 10 hours, quite a few look to be around 4-6 hours. And only few would pass 20.

Even with how "Busy" most people like to make their life out to be. You should still be able to get through a title every 2 weeks or so.

Kifimbo said:
Wow, Battlefield: Bad Company is really low compared to the Call of Duty games.
it's not exactly a series known for it's single player... i mean, i only finished the first BC's single player almost 2 years after i first got the game.

jvalioli

bumpkin said:
Well, when the developers inundate the achievement lists with either really hard or multiplayer specific items, it's shitty for people who may not be really good at playing (or using exploits in) some games. That accounts for several games I've played a lot but never "finished."
It's not 100% achievements, it is finishing singleplayer campaign.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, it is the standard Ace Combat "Stealth" mission. I guess I can see why, but still, huge drop off.

Top Bottom