• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it fair to doubt Colin Trevorrow at this point?

golem

I dont trust him but I do trust Kennedy to jump in if things go wrong.

She sure seems to have done alot of jumping in her tenure so far.

The output has been alright but the blame needs to start being placed on the people that hired these directors in the first place *cough*

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I hated Jurassic World for numerous reasons that I won't get into again, so I was already extremely doubtful of him to begin with. But after Book of Henry I'm expecting the absolute worst, and now that I know about his early short film Home Base, his sexism is more obvious to me than ever, which means him directing the final chapter of Rey's story is worrisome as fuck.

All he has going for him is the fact that he has the first two acts of the trilogy to build off of.

Echoing my sentiments. Jurassic World was horrendous, guy can only get better

Boke1879

Here's my thing. Episode 9 is the last of the trilogy. The characters are established and already have chemistry.

He's pretty much here to push this whole thing over the finish line. Kennedy and LucasFilm will be hands on to get the movie they want.

120v

if he was starting a new trilogy i'd be worried but there'll have been two movies to establish whatever payoff ep IX will have. give it a good script and i really doubt he could fuck it up

or at the very least, it could be in worse hands

if he was starting a new trilogy i'd be worried but there'll have been two movies to establish whatever payoff ep IX will have. give it a good script and i really doubt he could fuck it up

He's co-writing the script so whether it's good will be up to him. Here's hoping.

Boke1879

She sure seems to have done alot of jumping in her tenure so far.

The output has been alright but the blame needs to start being placed on the people that hired these directors in the first place *cough*

But what blame though. Colin's movie hasn't come out yet. And it seems Lord and Miller were making a movie that didn't gel with really anyone on set. She stepped in. That's her job.

The movies she's put out have been smash hits, and the fans love them. I don't see what we are blaming her for just yet.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Could be in much better hands, too. Trevorrow seems to have some...weird issues with women. I don't know if he's the right choice to close out Rey's trilogy.

I put my faith in Kennedy to know when/if to pull the plug on him if shit goes sideways during production.

golem

But what blame though. Colin's movie hasn't come out yet. And it seems Lord and Miller were making a movie that didn't gel with really anyone on set. She stepped in. That's her job.

The movies she's put out have been smash hits, and the fans love them. I don't see what we are blaming her for just yet.

Yes so far she's done a good job fixing or stopping whatever messes have arose from her decisions. Trank was straight fired, Edwards was put on the sidelines, now Lord and Miller were let go. Im inclined to believe that all of these issues have cost serious money with hiring new production teams and extensive reshoots as well as causing negative publicity. Star Wars movies will make money yes but this is turning into a pattern. WB/DC movies made money too but the air of negativity around their films have already caused major changes. If Treverrow messes up EP9, Lucasfilm could be in the same boat.

Of course it's fair to doubt him. He's made two lousy films in a row, the most recent of which is quickly earning some kind of legendary status. (You're seriously underselling just how much the Book of Henry has been derided.) His Star Wars movie might end up being great -- movies are bad for all sorts of reasons -- but at this early point there's very little reason to have positive expectations of any sort. If people were calling for a boycott that might be unfair, but I don't think that's really the case here.

But I feel the one thing you can be confident about is that Episode 9 will have plenty of fans and be very successful regardless. (Look at all of the people who loved a mess like Rogue One.) In that sense Trevorrow is a safe pick, because as long as he can successfully shoot the damn thing it probably won't hurt Disney's profits.

(I won't lie, I giggled about the Twitter block.)

That twitter block was a real blow. He was one of my favorite reasons to even have a twitter account. He really didn't like me dogging on Trevorrow the way I did.

wazoo

Here's my thing. Episode 9 is the last of the trilogy. The characters are established and already have chemistry.

He's pretty much here to push this whole thing over the finish line. Kennedy and LucasFilm will be hands on to get the movie they want.

I laugh at the idea that people still think about trilogy about star wars. It is a Disney property now. Like Marvel, you will eat them for years, every year. There is no end to star wars.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I laugh at the idea that people still think about trilogy about star wars. It is a Disney property now. Like Marvel, you will eat them for years, every year. There is no end to star wars.

He didn't say it was the end of the franchise, but it's clearly the end of the current trilogy, not that hard to understand.

aeolist

Banned
jurassic world was absolutely terrible but it's just star wars

the series has like 2 and a half good movies out of 8

I don't trust him at all with the end of this trilogy. Especially if The Last Jedi turns out to be really good. He doesn't seem to have the writing or directing chops to handle such a movie and seems adverse to criticism and like's his own echo chamber.

His last two films don't help him at all in my opinion. JW was bad (to me) and BOH was even worse.

He's a crap director. I've said it many times. I said it right after Jurrasic World, how it didn't really make sense to hire him after such a shoddy movie.

But the thing is, it doesn't matter. He's just there to shepherd the actors. Both with Star Wars movies and Marvel movies department heads are extremely powerful, who do as much lifting as needed when it comes to these sorts of directors.

If the script is not up to scratch in another place the director might be the one that would be fixing it, but Disney will do that.

They did give Rian Johnson creative control, and that is apparently working out amazingly. JJ Abrhams wanted a producing credit, but Kennedy said no. Even though they had a great working realtionship, and she has known him since he was a teeager interning at Lucasfilm. But the word is Trevorrow is a team player. Like Edwards was on Rogue One.

Lots of Marvel movies hire comedy directors with zero experience in big budget effects blockbusters. That is because producers, 2nd unit directors, and department heads do virtually all the technical lifting, a lot of which directors typically used to do.

Its a return to the past a little bit. Directors weren't always that important at all. They used to sit at the bottom of the hierarchy. Mostly just marshall all the men and keep them on track.

The guy who directed The Empire Strikes Back also directed:

Let's take it outside!

(I love Robocop 2 and I don't understand why people think it's bad. It's a bit less parody and a bit more straight 80's drug fear, but on the whole that movie is fine as hell. I especially love that shot of the literal brain and nerves in a tube. Just eyes staring into the abyss. And then people wonder how people don't come out right from that. It's only crime is that it's not Robocop 1, which I think is a weird thing to blame movies for. )

That said, Disney does not fuck around and while JW has some questionable things in it, there's no way that would pass the Disney Hypno Toad Editing Board. They will edit it straight into hell (say hi to Ultron on the way down! ) before letting it be a director's film that doesn't quite come together. See Rogue One.

Also, I kinda think you're all takes a trashy 80s franchise called "Star Wars" a bit too serious. What, you actually want a yearly movie of this crap? The original trilogy wasn't even that great, come on.

near

Gold Member
As a director he's good for it, I don't doubt that for a second. As a writer he's unproven as fuck. I've not seen he's short film or he's documentary, both seem irrelevant, but Safety Not Guaranteed indicated to me that Trevorrow is a capable director who should director more often. But he didn't write the script, so we cannot credit him for the strongest aspect of that film. Jurassic World was a big project and I genuinely feel that it was an enjoyable film. I felt the camera work, composition and overall balance of the film were really good, and for someone who had not done anything significantly prior to it deserves recognition. He didn't write the script for The Book of Henry, I haven't seen it yet, will purchase it on BD when it releases because it sounds like a film I'd watch regardless of the reviews it's received, so can't comment on that.

I think he has potential as a director, I don't think he has a signature style or offers anything unique, but he does seem like a good copycat director for a tent-pole film. I don't think we should be worried yet.

opoth

Banned
I'm not worried because if Disney even so much as smells as a cringeworthy SW film in the making they will sack him and get someone else or bring Johnson, Abrams in.

This. Lord and Miller's situation made me feel much better about the chances for IX if Trevorrow messes it up (I feel strongly that he will)

I've been down on Trevorrow since he was announced for Ep9.

Everybody kept saying 'So JW wasn't that great, but he did make Safety Not Guaranteed.'

Safety Not Guaranteed is some middle of the road shit that I will never understand the praise for. I saw it when it first hit home release and was scratching my head big time when they took this director of this middling sub-$1m film and put him in charge of a $180m tentpole.

But then this happened right after Marc Webb was given Spider-man too. So I did get it. He was a director who didn't have a lot of pull and would serve as a director-for-hire vehicle for the studio.

His latest film - which I've not seen, has no bearing on why I'm not the slightest bit excited for Ep9.

You have guys like Verbinski in director jail (which is understandable, but at the same time, disappointing) where their flair and vision go to waste, while Trevorrow's less-than-successes put him in charge of capping off a promising trilogy preceded by two talented directors with strong visions.

I'm sure Trevorrow is a nice guy, but I'm not at all a fan of his creative work thus far and find it disappointing to see a story with so much potential be put into his hands.

I always find it interesting that everyone who made a cinematic follow up to Robocop never released another movie. Although it looks like Jose Padilhia will end that curse next year.

People are overreacting and gave too much hate towards Colin after Jurrasic World.

The movie had some dumb moments but was fine and not bad.

Also we had ewoks in Episode 6. Cant be worse than that. Episode 9 gonna be fine.

I have less faith in Lucasfilm hiring him after the established evidence. I mean this is the company that thought a young Han Solo movie was a good idea.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Was JW's problem really the directing though.

No, producers make these movies. However, guy there's got a bland ass style reminiscent of people like Chuck Russell, meaning completely unable to leave a personal mark

hobozero

Let's take it outside!

Yeah. That's why it was great.

Who whoa whoa. Let's get this straight. I love Robocop 2. I got caught sneaking in to the theater go see Robocop 2. I love nuke, kids who run drug cartels, crazy cyborg suicides, and directives, sooo many directives. I've read the original Miller script and comic adaptation. I believe Robocop 2 should be preserved in the Library of Congress for its contributions to fucking awesomeness.

Was more saying that not every movie by a director needs to be a blockbuster or classic, for them to create a classic*

Robocop 2 is a classic

Rey is too popular for her story to end completely in Episode IX. Maybe it'll be a new adventure completely divorced from the OT cast/story but Rey will live on beyond 3 movies.

Of course. I'd be very surprised if she's not front and centre of Episode X, but they're still treating Episode IX as the end of the trilogy and this part of the story.

Pandy

The guy who directed The Empire Strikes Back also directed:
Robocop 2 is an actual good film, though. It's just not as good as the first film which, being one of the defining films of the decade, was always going to be a big ask to surpass.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's absolutely fair to doubt him.

What isn't fair is the amount of pure hate and disgusting level of anger he has received over this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Every movie of his has had significant issues with script, tone management, and just generally questionable directoral choices. It's fair to doubt him. If he pulls off Ep. IX I will be first in line to praise him but I have serious doubts that he's capable of it, especially since he'll have to follow up someone as talented as Rian Johnson.

NimbusD

I mean, it's done. He's directing it. We can squabble all we want, but now it doesn't matter until the movie comes out and we see how it is. Then we can revisit what ifs and hows etc.

Of course. His last film was given bad reviews, however that being said if Treverrow goes over the line on the set of Episode IX, then I'm sure Kennedy will give him the sack. I doubt he has final say on what happens to Rey as well.

Let's take it outside!

(I love Robocop 2 and I don't understand why people think it's bad. It's a bit less parody and a bit more straight 80's drug fear, but on the whole that movie is fine as hell. I especially love that shot of the literal brain and nerves in a tube. Just eyes staring into the abyss. And then people wonder how people don't come out right from that. It's only crime is that it's not Robocop 1, which I think is a weird thing to blame movies for.

Robocop 2 is actually less of a satire, and more of a parody of sequels in general the more and more I watch. It's a violent strange fun film, that I actually enjoyed more on second viewing.

eXistor

These movies have been planned out meticulously and nothing is stopping that train. All they need is someone who is able to competently execute the studio's planned-out vision. If we're lucky we get a happy medium and Rian Johnson seems to be that, in that he's probably allowed to put some of his own personal touches in the movie because he's actaully a proper director.

Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars will probably be competent but lacking in those touches; it's gonna be a studio film through and through, he's gonna do whatever he's told and it'll be fine; nothing more nothing less.

RS4-

Could be in much better hands, too. Trevorrow seems to have some...weird issues with women. I don't know if he's the right choice to close out Rey's trilogy.

I put my faith in Kennedy to know when/if to pull the plug on him if shit goes sideways during production.
Rey takes a back seat to Finn and redemption arc Kylo.

Woorloog

Banned
These movies have been planned out meticulously and nothing is stopping that train.

Actually, they aren't. Pretty sure someone recently said they hadn't planned stuff in detail in advance. Perhaps there are broad strokes concepts for the trilogy, but unlikely there's more than that.

Neither the original nor the prequel trilogy were planned from start to finish.

Nibel

My prediction: he'll either make a very safe movie with way more studio input than VII or VIII have (making VIII the highpoint of the new trilogy, assuming Johnson will deliver) or he'll be replaced mid-production

To this day I have no idea why he was chosen to make JW and IX

My prediction: he'll either make a very safe movie with way more studio input than VII or VIII have (making VIII the highpoint of the new trilogy, assuming Johnson will deliver) or he'll be replaced mid-production

To this day I have no idea why he was chosen to make JW and IX

It's great to be friends with people who make decisions

Top Bottom