• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about a small scene from Raimi's Spider-Man 2...

Huh, care to go into more detail?

I can't speak to the pro-capitalist message but Homecoming never really deals with any sort of class struggles. Peter is going to a Science & Technical high school which seems to draw people from all different economic strata and even though someone like Liz is essentially living in a mansion there is no sense that that there is any sort of cultural divide between Peter and Liz (or Flash with his, er, flashy car) over that separation.

To bring it back to John Hughes- Peter should essentially be the Molly Ringwaldl character in "Pretty in Pink" with Liz being Blaine. But the film never touches that.

Spider-Man aside, Peter honestly has a pretty damn good life all around.

Hey OP Give this spider-man/peter parker a chance. The scene you were referring to was in Spider-man 2, maybe we will see more of Parker's character in Spider-man 2 from Marvel. You cannot put everything in one movie. Let him enjoy being Spider-man for movie 1 and depressed parker in spider-man 2.

The hell?

This is the same defense used for ASM. Just wait for ASM2! That's obviously what they're building toward! A long-form arc.

FYI, Peter had just as strong development in SM1.

A perfect example of the difference of Peter in SM1 to Peter in Homecoming is that Homecoming Peter feels entitled to Stark's super-suit that does everything for him.

In Spider-Man 1, a (again, broke-as-fuck) struggling Peter Parker is offered help from Norman Osbourne, who offers to make a call to get Peter a job 'It's no problem. I'll make a couple calls.'

Peter's response? Thank you. But I like to earn what I get.

Osbourne's (who is the fucking villain of this film) then displays a quiet admiration of Peter: You want to make it on your own steam. Good for you.

So no. When you have 120 minutes to tell a story, and you can develop the moral compass of your character in such a short amount of time, saying 'Just wait for the second movie' is not a valid excuse imo.

Sculli that's because Peter in SM1 was a fucking dumbass

If your dad's best friend wants to give ya a boost

YOU TAKE THE BOOST

NO WONDER HE LET HIS UNCLE DIE

killroy87

We turned on Homecoming already? That was quick!

Homecoming was by far my favorite iteration of Peter Parker. Though, yeah, he's a 15 year old kid so he understandably isn't completely world weary yet. He still has an air of immaturity about him.

Blueingreen

Thats a great Scene I'm glad you pointed it out as it further exemplifies why Spiderman 2 is still the best Superhero movie ever made for me, even when you take out the Spiderman scenes your still left with an interesting character study/ drama of a film.

It's why I'm hardly a fan of the the MCU they're just overblown action cgi spectacles with two dimensional soulless characters, theres more humanity conveyed in that 45 second scene in Spiderman 2 than the entirety of comic book movies in the last decade.

Thats a great Scene I'm glad you pointed it out as it further exemplifies why Spiderman 2 is still the best Superhero movie ever made for me, even when you take out the Spiderman scenes your still left with an interesting character study/ drama of a film.

It's why I'm hardly a fan of the the MCU they're just overblown action cgi spectacles with two dimensional soulless characters, theres more humanity conveyed in that 45 second scene in Spiderman 2 than the entirety of comic book movies in the last decade.

These moments of feels we are discussing here are peppered around in the other films as well. We talking ten minutes of Spiderman 2 and Spiderman 1 at most when Power Rangers or Kirsten Dunst aren't running their mouths. While these moments being discussed are welcomed, they're buried underneath a lot of garbage.

Mary Jane is literally begging for affection at a funeral.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Peter made the wrong choice when he went with MJ

Always felt bad for the neighbour girl, she was too cute for peter not to go out with her :(

God i love the raimi films. Absolutely nailed the peter parker nerdy unconfidant bits and still had some humour and gut wrenching moments. problem with holland and garfield is that there still way to confidant in peter parker mode for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's not really turning on it, at least I enjoyed it and had a good time. But it's clear watching it it wasn't going to touch the first two Raimi films. They're just better films.

That's what the sequel is for.

These moments of feels we are discussing here are peppered around in the other films as well. We talking ten minutes of Spiderman 2 and Spiderman 1 at most when Power Rangers or Kirsten Dunst aren't running their mouths. While these moments being discussed are welcomed, they're buried underneath a lot of garbage.

Bro, Peter denying Mary Jane at the gravesite is a fucking perfect scene that better defines who Peter Parker is than anything that has come since. That scene is absolute perfection. Giving up absolutely everything that he's ever wanted to do the right thing.

Calling that garbage is mind-boggling to me.

I just watched a SM2 clip where Doc Ock has Aunt May captive and it ends with her slamming the shit out of him in the face with her umbrella

Raimi the true god

Always felt bad for the neighbour girl, she was too cute for peter not to go out with her :(

First girl wins bruh

WillyFive

Bro, Peter denying Mary Jane at the gravesite is a fucking perfect scene that better defines who Peter Parker is than anything that has come since. That scene is absolute perfection. Giving up absolutely everything that he's ever wanted to do the right thing.

No, he's right. Mary Jane was written horrifically in that scene, almost embarrassingly so. It's easy to forget though because the monologue that follows and McGuire's performance is so good that it erases that part of the scene from memory.

I have no desire to root for any character whose standards are to be with someone who was so self centered, she would shine a light on her need to be loved in the middle of a fucking funeral. I now have two insecure and self centerered characters taking me to the end credits.

The Green Ranger should have won.

I have no desire to root for any character whose standards are to be with someone who was so self centered, she would shine a light on her need to be loved in the middle of a fucking funeral. I now have two insecure and self centerered characters taking me to the end credits.

The Green Ranger should have won.

Who is the second self-centered character? Peter? I wanna hear this one.

And I don't know how you could see everybody having left and the funeral over as the middle of a funeral.

I'm gonna wait for Homecoming 2 before I make any sort of comparisons between series. Especially comparing a sequel to a new start. Yes I know that's a dumb excuse but I'm sticking to it.

Sorry it's just that that scene bewteen Peter and Aunt May is something that I'm going through right now and it hurts to think about it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nah. Better character work in SM1.

That's not (as if it was ever) a good excuse anymore.

That wasn't exactly a serious comment but I think if they build on Homecoming it could be amazing and better than the Raimi movies. The foundation is incredibly strong.

Blueingreen

I wasn't instigating these films are perfect, Mary Jane is easily the achilles heel of these films even in 2, nonetheless I was pointing out an area in which they excell is still rather unique in the whole genre, whether they constitute as "feels" to you is fine as it's your opinion, however in my opinion they make for far more interesting films than the homogeneous cgi dreck I've seen in MCU over the last decade.

Peter Parker in homecoming is STILL a 15 year old kid at the end....

And that's my problem with Homecoming, I liked 15 Peter Parker in comic books when I was younger but now when I'm at the age where I've just began tasting what the real world is, I just can't relate to some middle class juvenile millenial cocky teenager that still lives with his parents/guardian. The best description I heard of the movie was from Kermode when he described it as Ferris Beuller with super powers and that's fine and dandy unfortunately that character was always a glorification of what he represented than who he was, and the latter is was what I find more interesting in movies about characters

I'm still a sucker for the scene where Aunt May is moving and gives Peter the "hero in all of us" speech even though it's on the nose but Rosemary Harris nails it.

I'm okay with Homecoming, but its tone didn't really resonate with me.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
but homecoming does things spider-man does in the comics. he's the real deal

To quote myself from a Rogue One thread.
I discussed this at some other threads already, but one thing I've noticed with most (but not all) people who prefer R1 over TFA is they seem to be focusing more on the actual SW content - especiallly if they are franchise fans who look for more lore expansion - rather than the actual composition it as a film and if it works cohesively through the medium.

EDIT: R1 was a C+ at best for me.

Now basically just apply the same principle to Spiderman movies and comics.

Or you know, any pop culture adaptation.

Toa TAK

Banned
That wasn't exactly a serious comment but I think if they build on Homecoming it could be amazing and better than the Raimi movies. The foundation is incredibly strong.
Oi! I can never tell in these threads.

But yeah, anything's possible. I'd be for it.

Supast4r

God i love the raimi films. Absolutely nailed the peter parker nerdy unconfidant bits and still had some humour and gut wrenching moments. problem with holland and garfield is that there still way to confidant in peter parker mode for me.
100 percent agree neighbor hope girl was so much better.

Who is the second self-centered character? Peter? I wanna hear this one.

And I don't know how you could see everybody having left and the funeral over as the middle of a funeral.

He takes a few steps away to go visit Ben. Then she proposition him . It should have been apparent then and there that there was something wrong with the woman. Here is how the dialogue should have gone

Peter (walking away from Ben's grave after being rudely interrupted) : "This is my gift; this is my curse. Who am I?

I'm the guy walking away from some crazy nut asking me to kiss her over my Uncle Ben's cold dead body after another funeral. That's who I am motherfuckah!"

I'm having flashbacks to all those Amazing Spider-Man threads with so many posters arguing that Peter's lack of character development/an arc would only serve the second film to create this long-form arc.

The exact same thing is happening in this thread. Excuses for poor/barely existent character development coming in the form of 'But think about the potential that sets up for the sequel!'

It actually reads to me like people saying Think about how much better the sequel could seem if the writing weren't lazy like in the first movie!, like the first movie's job is to act as the ugly friend for the sequel to seem good by association. And that's being treated as a good thing.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no excuse nor benefit to Peter Parker being underdeveloped throughout a two hour film.

Blueingreen

100 percent agree neighbor hope girl was so much better.

The scene where she invited him over for a cake and the camera is just fixed at them at the table as she watches him eat in silence, I thought it was awkward but looking back that's the whole point it adds some what of a sentimental undertone to it, there's obvious chemistry and allot to work on as a story arc from that alone, but it never went anywhere but did it have to?

histopher

I enjoyed Homecoming after the absolutely horrible Webb films but it didn't touch Raimis.

When Pete tells May he needs another backpack in the Thai restaurant that was another example of how entitled this version was. Raimis Peter would be using a paper bag not his 6th backpack from May. Also would have made Flash's bullying more effective in the film.

Sculli I think people are being sarcastic with the 'wait for H2'.

At least I hope they are.

Each movie should work as a self contained story.

Boney

Banned
Raimi's "Spider-Man" was an examination of what it was like to be in the lower middle class. It highlighted the brutal truth that there are people born with great gifts who will never get to reach their fullest potential because they were born in poverty.

While Disney's "Spider-Man Homecoming" completely whitewashed all of the theme's of income inequality and in some ways put forth a very pro-capitalist message. Which by itself isn't a bad thing, but compared to Raimi films, it's very jarring.
The Raimi movies are all about New York. The first one is about learning, the second about adapting and the third about controlling.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no excuse nor benefit to Peter Parker being underdeveloped throughout a two hour film.
He wasn't horribly underdeveloped for most people. Spider-Man 2 being a better movie doesn't suddenly make Homecoming a bad film, especially since, as Roger Ebert put it, the former is quite possibly the best superhero movie ever made.

Homecoming was great. Sorry it didn't work for you. No need to throw a fit over it though.

How much time passed in universe between SM1 and start of SM2?

A year? Two years?

I think homecoming maybe a month elapsed? If even that?

Peter grew a lot for a month imo...

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I watched this video today, and want to give it more clicks.
https://youtu.be/m1kT0vFXd0w?t=19m5s SM2 stuff starts at 19m in.
Here is ComicBookGirl19 going over Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2. The internal conflict between life as Peter and duty of being Spider-Man.
I agree with much of what she is saying and why the movie works so well. I pretty much love all of Raimi's stuff though.

I haven't seen Homecoming yet, btw.

Blueingreen

Raimi's "Spider-Man" was an examination of what it was like to be in the lower middle class. It highlighted the brutal truth that there are people born with great gifts who will never get to reach their fullest potential because they were born in poverty.

While Disney's "Spider-Man Homecoming" completely whitewashed all of the theme's of income inequality and in some ways put forth a very pro-capitalist message. Which by itself isn't a bad thing, but compared to Raimi films, it's very jarring.

The Raimi movies are all about New York. The first one is about learning, the second about adapting and the third about controlling.

This 100 percent, I also liked how NYC was a character in itself rather than background wallpaper in the subsequent films, one thing I hated about TASM movies they may As well have taken place in Denver and all would have been the same.

Supast4r

The scene where she invited him over for a cake and the camera is just fixed at them at the table as she watches him eat in silence, I thought it was awkward but looking back that's the whole point it adds some what of a sentimental undertone to it, there's obvious chemistry and allot to work on as a story arc from that alone, but it never went anywhere but did it have to?
I'm not even gonna lie, I had a huge crush on that girl when I was younger. Her awkward sincerity made her feel like a real character.

GatorBait

Sculli I think people are being sarcastic with the 'wait for H2'.

At least I hope they are.

Each movie should work as a self contained story.

I actually sort of agree. We're in the MCU "interconnected universe" now. We already know ahead of time that there are 2 more Spider-Man solo films, as well as his appearance in 2 Avengers films. It feels like a lot of character development for both Peter and the entire cast was punted to subsequent movies. Perhaps the movies "should" work entirely as standalone, but it's evident Marvel is leveraging the flexibility in knowing Homecoming is just a small slice of Peter Parker's development and we'll be in for the long haul in seeing him grow over many years.

Homecoming is also the youngest Parker we've seen on the big screen by at least a couple years, I believe, and he acts similarly immature in a lot of ways. I'm thinking we'll see the MCU Parker grow into those deeper heroic qualities and the weight of those changes will feel really impactful since we'll have been able to witness Parker maturing before our eyes over the course of years.

Top Bottom