• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished Route C...

Holy fuck. I'm stunned at how amazing that was. I'll post some more thoughts later when OT2 gets made.

Now how do I get Endings D and E? One must be picking 9S instead of A2 but what about the other?

Pick 9S instead using Ch. Select, Ending E follows naturally from that.

Plum

You can finish it right now.

Just finished.

That final credits sequence was the most goddamn glorious thing I've seen this year in a game. Knowing some guy sacrificed his save file to save me in that last brutal moments was something I never thought a game would do. Everything about the final few chapters were just amazing as well.

This game was something special, I must say.

Plum

Final final ending spoilers:

Fuck it. I'm playing through Ending E again just to delete my save data. I'll likely never replay this game again and not doing so just feels... wrong.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished.

That final credits sequence was the most goddamn glorious thing I've seen this year in a game. Knowing some guy sacrificed his save file to save me in that last brutal moments was something I never thought a game would do. Everything about the final few chapters were just amazing as well.

This game was something special, I must say.

Fuck it. I'm playing through Ending E again just to delete my save data. I'll likely never replay this game again and not doing so just feels... wrong.

Check out this for a bunch of supplementary info: https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/wiki/lore

Also feel free to check out the Spoiler thread as well of course.

OniBaka

But if you play it again you get more context in stuff in the story.

Or just go spoiler thread.

Forward

I was about to buy this game, the other day, when I chanced upon a post in here mentioning that there are end-game stages that require multiplayer online to beat. Is this true? Because that would be a shame as it is an absolute 100% deal-breaker for me. Say it ain't so.

Manu

Not really. One of the endings is considerably easier to beat if you're online though.

Although it'd be more accurate to say it's borderline impossible if you're not online.

Forward

Not really. One of the endings is considerably easier to beat if you're online though.

Although it'd be more accurate to say it's borderline impossible if you're not online.

Details, please? Spoiler if you need to, I just want to know so I can decide to buy it or regrettably give it a pass.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You'll be kind of missing out on its impact if you know.

I'll just put it like this. If you absolutely cannot have an internet connection, don't get this game, or at least don't get it thinking you'll get everything from it, but there's no multiplayer.

Forward

You'll be kind of missing out on its impact if you know.

I'll just put it like this. If you absolutely cannot have an internet connection, don't get this game, or at least don't get it thinking you'll get everything from it, but there's no multiplayer.

I have decent internet. Cox, at any rate. So I ought to be fine with it, then?

Just finished route B and noticed that I missed quite a lot of sidequests, for example the Anmesia one. Damn, I thought that I had finished most one's but I was wrong. Of course I don't have an earlier save game ready. What to do?
Or how do I restart route B?

N° 2048

Just finished route B and noticed that I missed quite a lot of sidequests, for example the Anmesia one. Damn, I thought that I had finished most one's but I was wrong. Of course I don't have an earlier save game ready. What to do?

None are missable, don't worry keep on playing until
Chapter Select
becomes available then go back and do side quests.

Yeah, thanks, just found about that myself, though honestly I would prefer to do what I'm missing right now
Well, my mistake, should have just saved when I could still explore the world in route B...

EDIT:

Still no new Nier Automata figures? Depressing. :(

Cross post from Performance thread.

Nvidia just released a new driver 384.94. With a fix for Nier.

[GeForce GTX 780/780 Ti][NieR:Automata]: The screen may freeze during gameplay.

No idea if the fix applies for the Pascal cards though.

Those on the fence about this game because of this issue can probably jump in now, maybe.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ugh, I can't for the life of me get
Emil
to show up outside the resistance camp and sell the dress module. I swear he hasn't moved from outside the desert camp since he showed up. I tried running in and out of the desert, teleporting everywhere, running in and out of the shopping mall. None of it works, he never moves. How the heck can I get him to move? It's really starting to piss me off. I started the Lunar Tears quest, will this help? I'm currently on Playthrough B.

1upsuper

Ugh, I can't for the life of me get
Emil
to show up outside the resistance camp and sell the dress module. I swear he hasn't moved from outside the desert camp since he showed up. I tried running in and out of the desert, teleporting everywhere, running in and out of the shopping mall. None of it works, he never moves. How the heck can I get him to move? It's really starting to piss me off. I started the Lunar Tears quest, will this help? I'm currently on Playthrough B.
Make sure you talk to him and maybe buy something before you try to get him to move. It's annoying. And make sure once he moves to
near the camp, shoot him a few seconds before he would reach the entrance.
He needs to be to the left of the camp when you face the entrance, not past it.

Xeteh

I just started route B and I'm about to rage. Either I'm missing something or this just absolutely sucks.
Zero barely any checkpointing through the shmup bit then I have zero health after 2B takes the flight unit and I have to defend 9S while the little machines come at him... he gets hit once and I get a new ending and now have to do the whole fucking thing over?

I know it's unlikely, but anyone here using a Japanese copy with Japanese PSN?
I went to japan 2 months ago and I bought Nier Automata goodies from the SE cafe, and they gave me a voucher that I can't use bc I've no JP PSN.

It's for the retro grey Pod skin:

3QDM-4KNK-JH8L

Antiwhippy

I just started route B and I'm about to rage. Either I'm missing something or this just absolutely sucks.
Zero barely any checkpointing through the shmup bit then I have zero health after 2B takes the flight unit and I have to defend 9S while the little machines come at him... he gets hit once and I get a new ending and now have to do the whole fucking thing over?

I can't quite remember it too clearly now, but
can you hack during that section?

Because doing that makes things a lot easier.

Xeteh

I can't quite remember it too clearly now, but
can you hack during that section?

Because doing that makes things a lot easier.

It starts with the little bit with the machine getting oil for his "brother", then you shmup-things. You can hack turrets but you need to hack the 4 servers to disable security.
Then you shump more things and get wrecked by the boss 2B is fighting. Then you have to defend 9S with his little drone and when I died there it gave me an ending which threw me back to the start of that whole thing... which is why I'm pissy.

Antiwhippy

It starts with the little bit with the machine getting oil for his "brother", then you shmup-things. You can hack turrets but you need to hack the 4 servers to disable security.
Then you shump more things and get wrecked by the boss 2B is fighting. Then you have to defend 9S with his little drone and when I died there it gave me an ending which threw me back to the start of that whole thing... which is why I'm pissy.

Yeah that's what I meant, I can't remember if you can hack with the pod. If you can it makes things super easy.

I don't remember 9S dying in one hit either, but I didn't have too much trouble with that section.

Xeteh

Yeah that's what I meant, I can't remember if you can hack with the pod. If you can it makes things super easy.

I don't remember 9S dying in one hit either, but I didn't have too much trouble with that section.

You hack the individual parts of the boss and its super easy but after he ends up broken on top of it and you have to defend him with the little droid, I'm not sure if he has zero health through story stuff or its what I had through gameplay... but one snuck by me, hit him and I got a new ending and it starts me back at the Brother-machine bit because there is no save point.

Edit: Got past it but that part was mildly infuriating.

Oyashiro

I'm confused/disappointed by this game. I loved the original Nier and came into this one with high hopes as the reviews seemed so insanely positive. I just beat the first route and I'm incredibly underwhelmed.

Combat seems very shallow and boring so far. Bosses are gigantic damage sponges that just take forever to beat for no reason other than to make the fight more difficult.

Graphically, it looks pretty bad. The overworld is boring and stale. There's a disgusting amount of backtracking and not enough variety.

Story wise... Well, I don't want to judge it yet because I've only completed one of the endings. But there are just so many things about this game that scream "generic anime" to me. Adam and Eve are basically a parody of DBZ enemies. Why do the androids wear blindfolds? Why do they care so much about each other? Why is it a big deal if they die considering they can just back up their data?

Literally the only thing that has impressed me so far is the music.

I just got this today and I’m two hours in. Enjoying the combat, if the world is a bit drab. In terms of what pickups I can sell, is it just perishables like orbs etc.?

Any recommendations for beginners? Cba to sift through the whole thread lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Guys, there is a new OT lol, please go there:

New OT

I
Story wise... Well, I don't want to judge it yet because I've only completed one of the endings. But there are just so many things about this game that scream "generic anime" to me. Adam and Eve are basically a parody of DBZ enemies. Why do the androids wear blindfolds? Why do they care so much about each other? Why is it a big deal if they die considering they can just back up their data?

Literally the only thing that has impressed me so far is the music.

I don't even know what the bolded means, but uhh, beat the game for more stuff to happen.

I just got this today and I'm two hours in. Enjoying the combat, if the world is a bit drab. In terms of what pickups I can sell, is it just perishables like orbs etc.?

Any recommendations for beginners? Cba to sift through the whole thread lol.

You can sell anything that says it can be exchanged for money, including Machine Cores. (Do not sell Desert Roses however, that can be used for a sidequest.)

Make use of your chip loadouts (They give you 3 of them), don't be cheap and stock up on curatives because later battles will drain the hell out of them, experiment with the various pod programs, and here's a list of recommended sidequests if you're the type that wants to only bother with the ones "worth doing":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235924498&postcount=18814

Again, head to the new OT. :)

shogunduk

this game was meant to be played on hard mode. having no lock-on makes combat way more satisfying. i didn't find much enjoyment in combat on my normal playthrough because all i had to do was lock on and spam attacks. now i have to take my time to dodge and find openings because every hit takes a huge chunk of health, and leading your shots with the pod gun feels awesome.

this game was meant to be played on hard mode. having no lock-on makes combat way more satisfying. i didn't find much enjoyment in combat on my normal playthrough because all i had to do was lock on and spam attacks. now i have to take my time to dodge and find openings because every hit takes a huge chunk of health, and leading your shots with the pod gun feels awesome.
I think all Platinum games are meant to be played on Hard.
However, in this game, the difficulty also affects the hacking minigame and playing those on Hard can be VERY annoying for someone who isn't particularly good at twin stick shooters.

It's the one big gripe I have about this game, really. I think I'd have preffered a difficulty setting between Normal and Hard (because they might as well be Easy and Hard as it is), or separate difficulties for normal combat and hacking.
But I digress - I managed to complete it on Hard on PS4 and now I'm enjoying the cakewalk (aka Normal) on PC, and it's still an amazing game no matter how you play it. Besides, you can just choose to ignore the Lock-On button on Normal. :p

I've never understood arguments against games having a feature that is optional. If it makes it too easy for you and less satisfying, why not just not use it? Then you're still getting the combat you like but maybe with a little less punishment for messing something up.

shogunduk

I've never understood arguments against games having a feature that is optional. If it makes it too easy for you and less satisfying, why not just not use it? Then you're still getting the combat you like but maybe with a little less punishment for messing something up.

sure, you can always impose difficulty on yourself to make a game more fun, but that usually happens once you've already played the game and figured out its systems. on a first playthrough you'll be using what the game gives you because you assume it's how the game is meant to be played.

it could have been the case for nier that lock-on was how it was meant to be played, but i find that the combat system feels a lot better without lock-on. basically i think lock-on should have been an optional chip in normal mode instead of being on by default.

Is there a passive way to play this game? I remember playing MGS4 and feeling like the bosses were all like child soldiers or P.O.W. being brainwashed and I didn't want to just murder them where they stood. It was a video game so I figured there was no other option but then I read online about people beating them without killing them and that the game totally was designed so that you didn't have to murder them if you felt bad about that.

I just fought the first post-intro boss (i think... the human looking machine dude with no penis) and he gave me the same feeling of "if you murder this guy, that makes you the villain" that I got from MGS4. Is there a way to beat these fights without killing everyone or is that not an option?

mcz117chief

So I literally have to play through the game anyways, to get the outfits? I will not be able to access them from the beginning?
Hell no. You will need to farm like a mad man to beat some of those arenas I am afraid. I never managed to get them myself despite buying them just to get the costumes. Too much hassle honestly. If you have some late game character at really high level you might be able to unlock them straight away but otherwise it is going to take a looooong time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not really. The DLC is just end game challenge mode in an arena. Nothing really special. You do get a few skins after finishing them but that is about it.
It does gives you small story about one defective Machine which I thought it was neat.

After I got the final true ending, I didn't sacrifice my character...because I'm a selfish cunt. All those who sacrificed themselves in order for me to obtain victory shall be remembered...for a limited time. For me to keep remembering, please buy my loot boxes at $2 a piece for a random chance to remember your name for up to one year! There's also the chance at only gaining one second of me remembering your sacrifice.

Christ it's been a long time since I've beaten the game. Still have one ending I didn't bother with...leveling all weapons...hell no...fuck no...I'm gonna do it one of these days. I need that 26th ending. EMIL!

Top Bottom