• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarter

Ucchedavāda;229490950 said:
They seem to be getting a good return on investment on that front. The Capcom Pro Tour DLC appears to have generated something like $350.000 in sales, from just three premium costumes, a stage, and a couple of titles.

As long as the community is there, and Capcom keep on updating and releasing content, I think the DLC will do fine. All they need to do is lower the price.

They can't release that 3s Alex costume after those nerfs.

man I don't even play Alex anymore after what they did to him lol

Skilletor

Have you never played against Claw in ST, or Balrog or T.Hawk?.

Or Makoto in 3s, or Yun.

Setplay has always been a thing in Streetfighter, and V has weak setplay compared to most other fighting games.

The inability to whiff punish in this game is probably my least favorite thing about it. Normals are stubby, slow, and have low active frames.

I don't think 3s Yun or Makoto are good examples of setplay. Urien would be better.

And I never said it wasn't a part of SF (you named like 5 characters over the entire series :p), I just meant it wasn't as prevalent as it is now.

mbpm1

I think setplay being so prevalent just has to do with the characters who are top tier. I'm not sure how they fix the problem, honestly. Not with the system they've set up.
Considering how they've approached the game not sure if they see it as a problem

It's Feb 1st already and no new information. Capcom dropped the ball big time, there's no recovering from this. /s

Also I hope they realize over the course of February doesn't just mean the last few days. Give me my damn SF3 Alex costume already. And add his DDT. And extend command thrown range. And revert his normal nerfs. And add an air hitbox to his stomp. And the ability to cross up. And ability to beat fireballs more easily. And revert his slash to how it was. And increase his health to 1050.
Out of all of that only the nostalgia costume is happening.
+spiral DDT returns. All versions hit crouching and standing opponents. Spiral DDT on backwards facing opponents becomes a flying bulldog
+EX air knee strike now has invulnerable startup frames and ground hitbox. Is now a reversal on wakeup
+startup of all normal and EX powerbombs has been reduced to 5 frames
+EX Headbutt now tracks opponent at 3/5ths screen distance or less
+d j.HP flying cross chop once again usable at several levels of forward jump arc and during neutral jumps as it was in 3S
+EX Stomp now has added air hitbox and ground shockwave on whiff at close range. Ground shockwave cannot lead to combos or be V-Trigger canceled
+mp+mk 3rd strike overhead returns as f.fmk input. Travels further than 3S version, but cannot lead to combos, crush counters or be V-Trigger canceled
+undo all st.mp nerfs
These are all the things I'd want btw. None of these will also happen in season 2.5, 3 or 4.
They can't release that 3s Alex costume after those nerfs.

man I don't even play Alex anymore after what they did to him lol
You serious? I thought I was the only one. Alex was already the only character I spent real money on and I'm not about to spend another $5 on a character that is kinda... not good.

You serious? I thought I was the only one. Alex was already the only character I spent real money on and I'm not about to spend another $5 on a character that is kinda... not good.

Actually it does make sense to release it now tbh. He was one of the worst characters in 3s and now he's one of the worst characters in S2. Pretty nostalgic tbh

Spuck-uk

Banned
I don't think 3s Yun or Makoto are good examples of setplay. Urien would be better.

And I never said it wasn't a part of SF (you named like 5 characters over the entire series :p), I just meant it wasn't as prevalent as it is now.

Just named the first few that came into my head, any of those ST characters is worse than anything in SFV though.

I think it's because you don't really have good option selects any more that people think SFV has strong oki, you could select your way out of so much stuff, and backdash a lot more because of invincibility (fucking' Rose).

Out of interest who in SFV do you consider to have oppressive oki?

Skilletor

Just named the first few that came into my head, any of those ST characters is worse than anything in SFV though.

I think it's because you don't really have good option selects any more that people think SFV has strong oki, you could select your way out of so much stuff, and backdash a lot more because of invincibility (fucking' Rose).

Out of interest who in SFV do you consider to have oppressive oki?

I don't think it's oppressive. You're right, it's not as bad as something like T.Hawk in ST. I just think that SF5's design, for better or worse, is very frame dependent, and this leads to situations that repeat themselves over and over. Like...would a toolassisted knockdown oki setup exist in any other game for frame perfect meaties? Akuma, for example. Every knockdown leads to very similar oki setups. I don't think he's a great character, but if you guess wrong on knockdown, it's easy to get steamrolled. I don't think that's because of smart play. It's because you're constantly put into situations where it's a coinflip. One guess is as good as another.

Frame data guides all of the decisions in this game. You can almost tell what a special move will be, its utility, and it's +/- data, and I think it's because of how knockdowns work. This game feels very 3s like to me, but in SF3, you got up much quicker, so while you had the advantage as the person on offense, it wasn't the same as in this game where if you do A, and they quickrise, then this move is a perfect meaty, or if you do B, then this move, etc.

Skilletor

the game sucks. lets leave it at that

I don't think it sucks. I love the game. But I expected more changes going in to season 2.

I'm not giving up hope yet, but I'm definitely not playing the game as much as I did the first year. I'll follow it and check out all of the new characters. I still want to get platinum. After that, I'll start putting time into other fighters.

Neoxon

Capcom & Lupe Fiasco are doing an event on February 15th to celebrate the beginning of the 2017 CPT season.

ed041ddc2063d17800950b2a562dd086.jpg

The newest Season 2 character is likely to be revealed here, or he/she may already be revealed by then.

I think the difference between this and other SFs is how knockdowns work. Other SFs, pre-4, knockdowns didn't result in tons of pressure. The neutral was much more important. You'd get a knockdown, but there wasn't a lot you could do to pressure.

You'd have the advantage, but not in the same way that you do in SF5. Also, normals across the board except for, like, urien, are nerfed. Nowhere near as much reach, it's harder to keep people contained with mid to long range pokes, and it's nigh impossible to whiff punish. How often in other SFs would you see Tokido/Daigo repeatedly whiff c.hk? lol.

I think setplay being so prevalent just has to do with the characters who are top tier. I'm not sure how they fix the problem, honestly. Not with the system they've set up.
I think the simple solution to increased setplay is for techs to have fewer stand animations. Just decrease the frame advantage that knockdowns create. Except for corners - corners should hurt a lot.

For one, it makes v-reversals does actual decent damage, which is pretty bullshit for that type of moves.

DPs are fine now though, they're still pretty good against frame traps and if you want a real reversal, just use meter, I don't see what does that take away from the game!
Wouldn't the more sensible change be to V-Reversal damage? (I don't even understand why they do damage)

Counterpoint: Nemo is a complete nut who plays unsafe as hell and makes it work. Also Kazunoko.
A Marvel player and a Guilty Gear player. ;-)

Every culture has exceptions. For example, I would say that most people in the West are impatient and focus on taking risks in stead of slow and solid play. Then you have Smug.

Skilletor

I think the simple solution to increased setplay is for techs to have fewer stand animations. Just decrease the frame advantage that knockdowns create. Except for corners - corners should hurt a lot.

Yeah, I agree. I think that's a big difference between this and 3s.

The newest Season 2 character is likely to be revealed here, or he/she may already be revealed by then.

"This year, we’re returning to the same venue 1 year later to celebrate both the release of Lupe’s highly anticipated album, DROGAS Light, the Capcom Pro Tour and Street Fighter V Season 2’s newest character, coming later this month. Stay tuned for more details next week regarding the newest character."

Neoxon

"This year, we’re returning to the same venue 1 year later to celebrate both the release of Lupe’s highly anticipated album, DROGAS Light, the Capcom Pro Tour and Street Fighter V Season 2’s newest character, coming later this month. Stay tuned for more details next week regarding the newest character."
Well shit, new SFV character reveal next week.

Should there be a thread for this, or should we wait for the actual reveal?

#Communication

Well shit, new SFV character reveal next week.

Should there be a thread for this, or should we wait for the actual reveal?

Need a trailer or a blog post about it before making a thread.

Also damn does this party sound like fun. why is it always the west coast that gets all the fun stuff ;_;

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Also damn does this party sound like fun. why is it always the west coast that gets all the fun stuff ;_;
Basically any big Street Fighter event is in California.

Neoxon

Makes sense

And I feel the same way. Nothing awesome ever happens here in Texas concerning the FGC (Texas Showdown aside).

ElFly

I don't think it's oppressive. You're right, it's not as bad as something like T.Hawk in ST. I just think that SF5's design, for better or worse, is very frame dependent, and this leads to situations that repeat themselves over and over. Like...would a toolassisted knockdown oki setup exist in any other game for frame perfect meaties? Akuma, for example. Every knockdown leads to very similar oki setups. I don't think he's a great character, but if you guess wrong on knockdown, it's easy to get steamrolled. I don't think that's because of smart play. It's because you're constantly put into situations where it's a coinflip. One guess is as good as another.

Frame data guides all of the decisions in this game. You can almost tell what a special move will be, its utility, and it's +/- data, and I think it's because of how knockdowns work. This game feels very 3s like to me, but in SF3, you got up much quicker, so while you had the advantage as the person on offense, it wasn't the same as in this game where if you do A, and they quickrise, then this move is a perfect meaty, or if you do B, then this move, etc.

to be fair, we've only had this level of game data for SF4 and 5. back in the days of sf3 we'd have used it this way too

of course in sf3 we had parries to stop this kind of stuff, but I don't think capcom will add global parries any time soon. I feel that another solution is moving V-Reversal to spend grey health instead, so if you are blocking a lot, you can use them without spending your V-Trigger

I feel that V-Reversals should be the tool to fix this but the way they work right now they aren't effective and are waay too expensive

Scotia

Banned

Finally, some news.

I've seriously thought about moving to New York. Numerous reasons in general, but Chicago/Midwest scene is pretty small.

And that's....kinda cool that they are promoting the new character like that. But you still have to drop the character trailer and CPT info by next week before you see me eat Capcom so no dice.

And that's....kinda cool that they are promoting the new character like that. But you still have to drop the character trailer and CPT info by next week before you see me eat Capcom so no dice.
Is there even a reason still or are you just eating for the hell of it?

ElFly

I played an akuma online the other day

he was using the costume that has the interior of akuma as a crystalized, shining mess

jesus christ that costume is annoying. it shines too fucking much

hope they ban it

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kinda weird seeing Capcom promote an event with "Drogas" in it's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom