• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto Rumor: Bandai Namco making several NX games, including a Smash for launch

JCX

No way a full blown new Smash comes so soon (although Melee and 64 were close). This must be GOTY Ice Climbers edition.

As much as that would be good, I just finished the longest smash cycle ever and need a break. I'd also like a fully new Smash on NX, not just a port of Smash 4. Spla2n would be a much better launch title.

Somnid

I wouldn't be shocked if they do a clean break with the old architecture.

A lot of the stuff they used earlier isn't exactly what you want to be using in 2016.

I mean where does one go with PowerPC unless you have an expensive sub-system for BC a la early PS3.

Splatoon as well. But if this ports become true,this could possibly means that NX will not be BC with Wii U. Wich is great in my humble opinion because Nintendo needs to distance of the Wii brand forever if they really want to succeed this time.

YUP!

But what about Eshop and Digital offerings Carried ALL the way from the Wii

Its BEYOND time to consolidate and make it uniform as well as credit purchases to the ACCOUNT and not a system

ONE UMBRELLA PLEASE

RomanceDawn

I've believed this rumor before it was even a rumor.

It's pretty much exactly what I want as well. Just so long as we can get like 5-8 more characters and pretty much all the 3DS and Wii U stages combined. But even without new characters, this is the Smash game that could easily carry us for another full generation.

If we get a super NX edition I expect just a few new characters, combined stages, a few new single player modes and prettier graphics. Hopefully a new DK model to go along with it!

Linkhero1

If they do indeed plan on porting Smash to the NX to have at launch, it would be a good excuse to include new/veteran characters who were not released as DLC. You'll basically ensure the Smash crowd is there day 1.

fVnvqwR.png

Boxarts are out!!
You can tell that Melee HD one is real because of all the red strips plastered everywhere. Consistency is legitimacy. The mix of Brawl and Melee assets shows it's an updated classic.

Kimawolf

Just give me Ridge Racer, Namco!! With Galaga as a bonus!

But id think Smash

Tekken

Pokken,

Ridge Racer NX( even sounds good)

And s Tales game I hope.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean where does one go with PowerPC unless you have an expensive sub-system for BC a la early PS3.

Right, at this point either possible direction (mobile set top box with ARM or regular console with x86) aren't PowerPC and will cause problems with emulation.

Neoxon

I've believed this rumor before it was even a rumor.

It's pretty much exactly what I want as well. Just so long as we can get like 5-8 more characters and pretty much all the 3DS and Wii U stages combined. But even without new characters, this is the Smash game that could easily carry us for another full generation.

If we get a super NX edition I expect just a few new characters, combined stages, a few new single player modes and prettier graphics. Hopefully a new DK model to go along with it!
Again, I'm not sure if they'll touch Smash 4 in any major way without Sakurai.

It better have Cloud.

If it's a port though, it doesn't suggest good things regarding NX's BC situation. :/

I disagree. If their intention is for NX to be their lead platform going forward, it doesn't make much sense to have their eSports darling be a game that's only available on that platform via backward compatibility.

Zalman

A "complete edition" makes total sense, honestly. It's too early for Sakurai to make a new one, and Nintendo probably don't want to without him.

Probably Smash 4: Complete Edition.

Hopefully the GameCube Adapter still works.
It's USB so there's no reason it won't.

I'm really hoping for a Smash/Mario Kart 8/Splatoon Complete Editions with all dlc at launch for the NX.

I would rebuy all of them.

I for one am SHOCKED!

Nah, this seemed like the smartest move Nintendo could make, to the point where it bordered on unlikeliness (Nintendo doesn't do obvious much). Wonder if they'll add more characters. Ice Climbers would be nice

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That would be disappointing if we are going to get Smash 4 Port without few characters additions like Inkling, Ice Climbers and few obvious characters. I would welcome it tho.

Dark Souls 3 port seems unlikely given that the game's director stated that the target audience for Dark Souls series isn't on Nintendo's platforms. To me, it's doubtful NX will change that regardless of its install base growth.It's a shame too, sine I'd like to try the series out.

Yeah it's very improbable. But then again, if the console is on par with the rest in terms of power, there might also not be much of a reason for Bamco not to port it over. But it would depend on what Nintendo's willing to do for it and I would guess not a whole lot.

FelipeMGM

Smash, Mario Maker and Zelda could be all Wii U-NX titles. That sure is nice, but I want some other new stuff, like a new 3D Mario (which is also coming) and some new IP as well. I hope Nintendo learned with Splatoon

JCX

NX is the perfect excuse to make a clean break. I'd expect it to only play online with other NX owners. Wii u/3DS would be last gen, so their parity would be preserved.

When was the last time a Nintendo system launch had a HUGE game that wasn't a port, remake, or "app" like Wii Sports?

I know it's not exclusive to Nintendo, but for every system I've bought from them in the last decade it's felt like "making do" with whatever crap they bring for launch day whilst waiting for the real system sellers. Maybe my fault for early adopting, but would really make a change to have a huge game like SSB from Day 1.

Trago

Now what other games are they working on though? I doubt there's any original titles. I'm thinking all ports. Tales, Naruto, maybe even Dark Souls.

georly

I'm 100% ok with tons of wii u ports, as wii u had so many 'this game is so good I'd be ok if this was the only game I owned' games. Not to mention the small install base means not that many people got to enjoy great stuff.

Stuff I want:

Pikmin trilogy
Mario Maker +
Pokken
Smash4 + 4 new characters
DKCR 1+2
Platinum pack (W101 + Bayo 1 + Bayo 2)
NintendoLand ++

I'd say mario kart 8+, but I think 9 with all (or most of) the mario kart 8 tracks as DLC would be better.
Splatoon would be better with a sequel 1-2 years down the line. Lots of room for growth.

Neoxon

That would be disappointing if we are going to get Smash 4 Port without few characters additions like Inkling, Ice Climbers and few obvious characters. I would welcome it tho.
That depends on if Sakurai stays or if he finished planning for any extra characters before leaving.

Smash, Mario Maker and Zelda could be all Wii U-NX titles. That sure is nice, but I want some other new stuff, like a new 3D Mario (which is also coming) and some new IP as well. I hope Nintendo learned with Splatoon

I doubt Mario Maker would be possible considering how dependent is on the Gamepad.

Yooo, imagine a Smash Bros with all 84 Stages from the 3DS and the WiiU version.

That'll be an absolute overkill!

Yup, ill be happy if its announced that it has all the 3DS content. Fuck the 3DS version.
I doubt Mario Maker would be possible considering how dependent is on the Gamepad.
You really think they'll just leave Mario Maker on the Wii U and call it a day. Using a controller is entirely possible. Little Big Planet did it, a tile based game can too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't they say NX was gonna absorb WiiU architecture? What would that have been for if not BC?

I think they meant that they were going to pick a technology solution that wouldn't require them to rewrite all their engine technology for the handheld.

The Wii U has a DX10 GPU so if they don't have something that does at least OpenGL ES 3.0, they would have to re-engineer everything to get handheld games working on their internal technology and tools.

This would be as opposed to literally using the Wii U's hardware architecture.

The 3DS uses an OpenGL ES 1.1 GPU so getting their technology to support both platforms was a major hurdle for them when they wanted to transfer staff, technology, or development process around.

udivision

Splatoon as well.

Splatoon's biggest hurdle would be whether or not the NX handheld can act like a Wii U Gamepad, or if there is any compatibility with the NX and the Wii U Gamepad (regardless if there is BC or w/e). Splatoon being purely a twin-stick shooter loses a lot of appeal.

Revven

Smash 4 for NX with all DLC and the patches as a Complete Edition makes sense. Maybe even all the 3DS stages as well or something. It would only make sense and people were calling it would likely happen just due to the fact a new Smash game, even just from Smash 4's groundwork, will take many years and Nintendo really can't wait that long for something like Smash. They need a Smash game out and not only that but the Wii U version did not sell nearly as well as the 3DS version did, they'll want to recoup some more costs from that version and a port to the NX would do just that tbh.

Oh and uh not to mention it will continue Smash 4's competitive life beyond the Wii U as well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
In addition to Smash Bros. I expect Pokken and Tekken 7 to be brought to the NX as well. Not at launch but in its first year.

18-Volt

Wishlist time!

Smash Bros X Ultimate with 6 new fighters: Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman, Isaac, Ray Mk 3, Bnjo
Dragonball Xenoverse 2
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Vesperia R
Tekken 7 with Waluigi costumes
God Eater 3
Pac-man Super Collection

...and of course: RIDGE RACER!!!

*legit boxes*
Boxarts are out!!
You can tell that Melee HD one is real because of all the red strips plastered everywhere. Consistency is legitimacy. The mix of Brawl and Melee assets shows it's an updated classic.
I'm swooning over that Mario pose on the back of the HD Classic.

But this is finally the opportunity to get my DKC stuff in when he's not looking!

I think they meant that they were going to pick a technology solution that wouldn't require them to rewrite all their engine technology for the handheld.

The Wii U has a DX10 GPU so if they don't have something that does at least OpenGL ES 3.0, they would have to re-engineer everything to get handheld games working on their internal technology and tools.

This would be as opposed to literally using the Wii U's hardware architecture.

Dont think they are gonna do that

Hence the Ports

I wonder if they will offer digital freebies or discounts on people who owned the WiiU software to ease the transition....

Top Bottom