• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Exentryk

I stopped playing sometime during the closed beta, because the time investment required was huge and losing your cards at the end was discouraging.

I will definitely get this for the single player campaign, but I don't think I have the time required to get in to the competitive side of it. Main reason being the time it would take to get all cards would be too much. I'd personally prefer a mode where all people have the same limited set of cards that they have unlocked from the start, and they play with just those cards. I feel like that mode could get some mileage out of me, but I do understand that it might difficult to monetize that mode. I'd be happy to pay $60 upfront for such a mode though.

X-Frame

So I'm hugely a fan of Gwent in Witcher 3 and I can't wait to try this out. Also hope that mobile doesn't come too much later.

How much different is this stand-alone Gwent compared to the W3 version? I assume it's a lot deeper?

Kaname

So I'm hugely a fan of Gwent in Witcher 3 and I can't wait to try this out. Also hope that mobile doesn't come too much later.

How much different is this stand-alone Gwent compared to the W3 version? I assume it's a lot deeper?

Deeper and better, but of course knowing the basic rules from the main game helps a lot at the beginning :)

Stalwart

I wouldn't call Gwent "very generous," it basically meets the base line of what card games have to give away to compete with Hearthstone. That being said, looking forward to building my collection finally.

Sorian

Banned
I wouldn't call Gwent "very generous," it basically meets the base line of what card games have to give away to compete with Hearthstone. That being said, looking forward to building my collection finally.

There's no cap to how much free currency you can earn in a day. I'd call that very generous.

IvorB

Hearthstone is possibly the stingiest F2P game I have ever played. I really hope this is not at that baseline.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Opened only two leggos in 40 packs, Drought and Draug. Could've been better but could've been worse as well so whatevs.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
There's no cap to how much free currency you can earn in a day. I'd call that very generous.
Any game where you can spend the equivalent of a full-priced new release and only get a fraction of its content is not generous. It's incredibly stingy. I can't grasp why one of the most egregious offenders--Hearthstone--has so badly distorted people's expectations.

That said, Gwent is good enough, and the developers have a nice enough track record, that I'll invest my time, and maybe eventually my money.

I still haven't played The Witcher III, and I don't usually play this type of card game, but so far it's great. Great interface, the challenges seem like they teach you everything you need to know to get started. Only complaint so far is that some of the fonts are fucked on a 720p tv. I bounced right off of Hearthstone, but I can see myself actually spending time on this one.

Peroroncino

Runs like a dream on PS4, loadings are non-issue, basically loads me a match in about 30 seconds [matchmaking included].

I'd appreciate an option to turn off cross-play though, if I can't get open beta rewards on PS4 from beta testing on PC, then I'm at a severe disadvantage currently.

Eric WK

Runs like a dream on PS4, loadings are non-issue, basically loads me a match in about 30 seconds [matchmaking included].

I'd appreciate an option to turn off cross-play though, if I can't get open beta rewards on PS4 from beta testing on PC, then I'm at a severe disadvantage currently.

You can turn it off for Ranked (at least you could on Xbox One during closed beta) but I really wouldn't recommend it if you want the most competitive experience in the future.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haha, the new tutorial.

"You've won. So you can just pass now and-- Hey, Geralt! There's no need to rub it in! GERALLLLLTTTTTT! You've won already! You can stop play--STOP PLAYING CARDS, GERALT!"

Well this has come a long way indeed, i didnt play much of closed beta, but i did play some early on.

It runs beautifully, its fast and not sluggish unlike some other card game i play on my PC.....and its got quite alot going on so far!

Hystzen

Had first freeze after doing a challenge stuck on Victory screen (ps4)

Still getting used to this as got the W3 rules drilled in my head so much need forget it not the same

Opened like 63 barrels. * animated

Notable:

*Marching orders
*Necromancy
*Ele'yas
Ragh Nar Roog
Shani
Woodland Spirit
Rainfarn
Iorveth
Ciri
Isengrim
*Ciri: dash

AndersK

Just tried it out for the first time. Quit hearthstone finally and this seems nice. I have no idea about deckbuilding so far, which is kinds nice really.

hollomat

Banned
Have they said anywhere if there will or will not be a wipe after the open beta? I didn't play as much as I would've liked to during the closed beta due to the wipe, but I'd like to dive in now if there won't be a wipe.

Eric WK

Have they said anywhere if there will or will not be a wipe after the open beta? I didn't play as much as I would've liked to during the closed beta due to the wipe, but I'd like to dive in now if there won't be a wipe.

Another wipe is highly unlikely.

Kalor

I've played a few matches and I like the new weather changes. They make the game feel less swingy. I don't know about the leader changes yet, that might take some getting used to.

JustinBB7

Tutorial was super fun with Geralt and Ciri.

Got my top 1000 rewards!

And now to open 108 kegs, I thought I'd only get 91! Gonna take a while.

Top Bottom