• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

Dynheart

Banned
You guys need to stop making definitive statements based in your first time playing the game. It's embarrassing. We can't say anything about long term viability of any of the characters or control schemes after fucking 35 mins

Truth.

There is no past experience to draw upon on this game other than "I play fighting games." People are literally playing other people that have absolutely no idea about the deeper mechanics about the game.

Of course, you have people who will draw conclusion based off of 35 minutes anyway, because apparently this will be the pinnacle of ARMS competitive play and strategy.

Pineconn

Feels good to be brought down to 1/4 health by some grab happy Ninjara chode... then end up winning by dodging his grabs and counter-grabbing.

I'm normally down with motion controls, but they haven't clicked with me yet. I'll continue to give ARMS a try. Initially, it was just because I had the joy cons tilted slightly forward, so I'm wondering if there are any other mistakes I'm making that I'm not aware of.

I'm pretty disappointed. The controls are kinda weird. I find my character moving around where I don't want them to, but it can't seem to be helped because I'm punching and twisting my arms.

I was expecting a lot smoother experience considering the impressions from events. I guess it'll take a lot of getting used to for me.

Pat

I'm REALLY impressed with the lobby-concept. It's spectacular.

Ten people in, and you play randomly with those who finished their matches... And if 3 peep have finished, it's 1v1v1, if there are 4 people available, it will be either 1v1v1v1 or 2v2 and if you are alone with only one person, it comes back to 1v1... And it doesn't stop! And you can see all people's HP in real-time even if you're not spectating the match but waiting in the lobby.

For the game itself though, I'm not sure I'm really into it. It's actually fun, but quite difficult when you play with motion controls. Also, speaking of motion, it's not very precise... My JoyCons had difficulties differentiating the movements (block, move or hit). Sometimes I just wanted to move forward and it blocked instead.

trixx

So I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but cannot figure out to move to save my life. Playing motion controls.
Hold joy cons vertically so your thumbs are in a thumbs up position then move your arms left and right. You move very slow so you press L to dash around while moving

Matchmaking is great but keep it 1v1. 4 player seems like a wtf and 3 player is nonsensical

Jintor

hey ya'll

hqdefault.jpg

You guys need to stop making definitive statements based in your first time playing the game. It's embarrassing. We can't say anything about long term viability of any of the characters or control schemes after fucking 35 mins

Happens every time...especially with fighting games.

And it's always hilarious people already figuring out longevity and the meta in just a few minutes.

TeegsD

Can someone just tell me if you can play split screen with two sideways joy cons. If so, I'm in. Shit I may be in other wise because this is too fun. I'll have to try somewith the joy con grip too but for now, single joycon is super easy to use. This game came out of nowhere for me and now I cannot wait to pick it up

I'm pretty disappointed. The controls are kinda weird. I find my character moving around where I don't want them to, but it can't seem to be helped because I'm punching and twisting my arms.

I was expecting a lot smoother experience considering the impressions from events.
Try the non motion control method, it's working really well for me

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wow that's fun, better then I ever thought. Day one, not going play any more so I don't spoil the new game feel but did like 30 matches.

In the three player matches you gotta draw from wrestling triple threat match chickenshit heel logic, it worked wonders for me.

KraytarJ

I'll probably try again tomorrow with a pro but after 40 minutes I really didn't like it at all. Movement just feels terrible.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hold joy cons vertically so your thumbs are in a thumbs up position then move your arms left and right. You move very slow so you press L to dash around while moving

Matchmaking is great but keep it 1v1. 4 player seems like a wtf and 3 player is nonsensical

thanks..I'll give it a try

iFirez

I didn't really like it, it didn't resonate with me at all. I'm not a fan of fighting games usually but Nintendo usually make the most accessible versions in any genre. This just felt very spammy/button mash heavy and I tried motion controls and pro controller. I had a few fun matches of V-Ball where we vollied the ball back over the net a lot but that was the most fun. The actual fights are quick and like I said spammy, if you can get someone into a hit/defence/grab cycle it's very easy to win just by spamming the right buttons before they make the same move in their cycle and then dodging when they step out of that cycle. It's almost a game in out predicting your enemy mixed with heavy button mashing.

I'll give it a couple more goes but it hasn't won me over yet.

jdstorm

Banned
Played for about 30 minutes. Some quick thoughts

1. Its really fun to play. Especially with Motion Controls. These dual vertical motion controls are great and could have good aplications in other games going forward. Its a great partygame and very easy to pick up and play.

2. Lots of depth especially with different Arms combinations. Its too early to tell about Tier lists and how they will synergise however it seems pretty clear that Ninjara is going to be right in the middle. Really easy to pick up and play but will get owned at higher levels by Springman, Minmin, Twintelle and probably Helix and Kid Cobra.

2. Springman is by far the best tank. But everything seems reasonably balanced however gear synergy is going to be the biggest thing going forward. Helix behind a shield is going to be a nightmare to play against.

This game is really confusing to play and 3 player is hella dumb.

Also volleyball????? Wtf was that?

Man idk how can this even be played competitively? Will people be consistent? There's too little options.

4 player all for one is even worse.

Top Bottom