• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation x Playism: Indie Stream on Sept. 22nd! (TGS)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like the indie train isn't stopping for Sony

http://www.playism.tv/blog/?p=604

We’ve had to keep this news under our hats for some time, and while i’ve been bursting at the seams for some time, it’s nice to finally get it out!

At this year’s Tokyo Game Show, on the night of September 22nd, Sony Computer Entertainment and Playism, along with Team Indie Stream (NIGORO and Nyamyam), will be hosting an Indie game focused event called “Indie Stream”.

Indie Stream will be a party that brings together independent developers, publishers, and press to exchange information and get to know each other. It’ll also be a glimpse into SCEJA and Playism’s plans for indie gaming in Japan going forward. Of course, there will also be a few exciting announcements, but you’ll have to wait for the event to find out what they are!

The following is the official PR:

Tokyo Game Show is once again almost upon us.

This year, Tokyo Game Show will, for the first time, include Indie Games Festa and the Indie Games Area; a sign that the Japanese indie games scene is becoming more and more important!

In order to promote the continued growth of the indie game scene in Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia and Active Gaming Media, the parent company of PC indie game portal site PLAYISM will be holding a party, with thanks to indie developers NIGORO (http://nigoro.jp) and nyamyam (http://nyamyam.com) for developing the idea.

At this party:

Indie developers from both Japan and abroad will be able to exchange ideas.
Media outlets both from Japan and abroad will be present
A select few parties who we feel could have a positive influence on the often tough indie development / market scene will be introduced
Attendees will include:

Indie game developers and their supporters from all over the world
Domestic and foreign media
Parties interested in supporting the indie scene
Together we can mark the end of Tokyo Game Show 2013 with an entertaining and helpful party.

Are you an indie developer or member of the press that wants to attend the party on the night of September 22nd? Drop us a line!

Excited about what might come of this event? Let us know in the comments! And of course, be sure to check out the Playism EN Twitter and Facebook for all the latest Playism related news!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to see Japan's indies. Gonna be great!

Jonnyram

Very excited about this.

I've been wondering why Sony was ignoring the indie scene in Japan for a while, but apparently they haven't, and we'll get to see some cool stuff soon.

A dedicated indie event means that the fears of the main show being another indiefest should be dispelled.

What am I saying, people will still complain.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Can someone explain what Playism is to me?

We're an indie-focused localization/publishing site, focusing on bringing western indie games overseas, and vice versa. :)

If you look up playism on Google, you'll find our store page. We also recently brought La-Mulana to Steam.

nib95

Banned
I'm in! Indie showing at Gamescom was fantastic. Some of these up-coming indie games look legitimately amazing. Can't wait!

Dragon

Banned
We're an indie-focused localization/publishing site, focusing on bringing western indie games overseas, and vice versa. :)

If you look up playism on Google, you'll find our store page. We also recently brought La-Mulana to Steam.

Cool man. Congrats on the press and looking forward to the event. I know Tokyo Jungle wasn't indie but it really represents the type of game that's been missing this Gen for the most part. Crazy quirky Japanese games need to come back in a big way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cool man. Congrats on the press and looking forward to the event. I know Tokyo Jungle wasn't indie but it really represents the type of game that's been missing this Gen for the most part. Crazy quirky Japanese games need to come back in a big way.

We invited Crispy's to the event. Technically they are indie. They've just had the good fortune of working with Sony on Tokyo Jungle. Hopefully they're able to make it. :)

Fractured. Which is why it's a good thing for one of the major players to hold an event for them.

Yep. This is basically our main goal. Bring developers, publishers and press together, and hopefully form a more cohesive community for new creators that way.

Dragon

Banned
We invited Crispy's to the event. Technically they are indie. They've just had the good fortune of working with Sony on Tokyo Jungle. Hopefully they're able to make it. :).

Oh cool. Didn't know that. Thanks for the info and I'll be paying attention.

ReaperXL7

Well I have been waiting to see if SCEJ had an indie program in place (outside of CAMP) so im really interested in this. Im alittle confused though, is this stream going to be during Sonys presser, or after that?

Seems like there will be three events for news the event conference today, TGS, and then this. It actually kind of makes sense in Japan because most of the big publishers seem to be going mobile crazy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. I'm seriously stoked to see indie devs getting more support on consoles, and the PS4 in particular.

Mitark

Awesome News, looking forward to it :)

thetrin

Well I have been waiting to see if SCEJ had an indie program in place (outside of CAMP) so im really interested in this. Im alittle confused though, is this stream going to be during Sonys presser, or after that?

Seems like there will be three events for news the event conference today, TGS, and then this. It actually kind of makes sense in Japan because most of the big publishers seem to be going mobile crazy.

The name is a little confusing, but there's no stream. Indie Stream is the name of the event (as a flip on the word "mainstream".) It's a party/mixer for indie devs, pubs and press, but we'll also be announcing a few things as well.

Japanese indies, are they any good?

There are quite a few very awesome indie games, but perhaps I'm just a little biased.

v1lla21

Japanese indies? Will play from my bathtub.
Can't wait to see more, hopefully we get fun and wild Japanese indie games here in the US. The more games, whether it's the big studios or my neighbors, the merrier.

ReaperXL7

The name is a little confusing, but there's no stream. Indie Stream is the name of the event (as a flip on the word "mainstream".) It's a party/mixer for indie devs, pubs and press, but we'll also be announcing a few things as well.

There are quite a few very awesome indie games, but perhaps I'm just a little biased.

Ah, very cool. I know you cant go into too much detail, but would you say SCEJ has been as supportive of indies as their western branches have been? We have gotten so little news out of Japan this year that I really was not sure what to expect after all of the conflicting statements that I have seen about the indie scene in that area.

I was always curious if Japan had its own Shahid, or Adam Boyes.

Niks

I have always thought Japanese developers have so much untapped potential ideas/inspiration to make games.
I mean their culture and folklore is so rich, its perfect for making indie games imo... I would love games in the vein of Okami for example.

Hopefully this Japanese indie initiative really takes off.

thetrin

Ah, very cool. I know you cant go into too much detail, but would you say SCEJ has been as supportive of indies as their western branches have been?

I can't say much, but I can say there's a reason we're involved in the event. :)

Really glad that we were finally able to announce this.

It should be a great event! And a great start to more indie support inside Japan.

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

only ten days to go o_O

It looks like Sony is going to be working to try to get Japanese indies to the point where western indies are currently at

What if a strong launch lineup results in a drought of new titles post-launch; a phenomenon that plagued Sony after both the PS2 and PS3 debuts? "That's why we're trying to give our help out to indie titles," Yoshida countered. "Huge titles from large makers take time to develop; they can't just be brought out immediately. However, with the indie scene, especially in the West, we're seeing really neat games coming out from there pretty much every week. I'd like to get that indie flow going in the Japan market as well, with unique titles coming out one after the other. More and more users are making digital purchases these days, so even studios making games with small teams can make it into a business."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/12/47...rk-cerny-discuss-the-ps4s-performance-ease-of

I love you guys for La-Mulana, and I have been recommending it to my friends every chance I get. Looking forward to seeing what's up next.

Top Bottom