• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

I have ordered two video cards from Amazon USA, delivered to Hobart. They both arrived ahead of their estimated arrival time. This has also happened with one or two other items I've ordered from Amazon, but not all of them. This is obviously anecdotal, but they appear conservative with international shipping times to account for potential delays.

Oh ok cool, thanks. Can you recall how long it was between you placing the order and it actually being shipped on their end?

Oh ok cool, thanks. Can you recall how long it was between you placing the order and it actually being shipped on their end?

Not sure how accurate these are for delivery dates being recorded on Amazon, since in both cases I was surprised, but...

May 31 -> Jun 18
Sep 19 -> Oct 6

The later is definitely not accurate since it arrived in time to play Shadow of Mordor which came out on Sept 30 that year.

As for when they themselves shipped, not sure.

Dmax3901

Not sure how accurate these are for delivery dates being recorded on Amazon, since in both cases I was surprised, but...

May 31 -> Jun 18
Sep 19 -> Oct 6

The later is definitely not accurate since it arrived in time to play Shadow of Mordor which came out on Sept 30 that year.

As for when they themselves shipped, not sure.

Cool, looks like two weeks give or take.

Quasar

Got an email from Netflix that the monthly sub is going up by 20% due to a new tax.

I've been out of the country for almost 2 months, what tax are they talking about?

For digital services, just like other services, the government is now asking for them to collect 10% GST. Netflix like some others are seeing this as time for a cash grab.

Enforcement of course is the tricky thing. Easier with businesses who have an actual local presence.

The plan of course is also to apply it to physical goods too, which is even harder. And I imagine it will either only apply to a subset of businesses (such as Amazon) or you'll start seeing business just not shipping to Australia as its too much hassle. You might anyway. I know Ebay has already bee threatening to not allow Australian ebayers to buy things from ebayers outside Australia as Ebay is being asked to collect GST even though they are not buying or selling anything and Australia Post has whinged enough that they don't want to have to collect GST from buyers. That's actually how I think it should work with goods so as to not discourage retailers from selling to Australians.

Ebay actually is an interesting case, as you have competitors like Gumtree who aren't involved in transactions at all, they work more like ye olde newspaper classifieds add.

Netflix didn't actually specify 20%, but it comes to that if you calculate the new fee.

$14.99 increasing to $17.99. $3 increase is 20%.

The cost of your Netflix membership will increase to $17.99 on Friday, 25 August 2017, in part due to a new tax in Australia.

Caramello

I noticed that my employer's super contribution changes dramatically week to week for no apparent reason. Some weeks none is mentioned in my payslip, some weeks double is, but there isn't a pattern to it or a connection to my pay for the week. Is this normal?

No it isn't normal. It should always be 9.5% of your gross income, assuming this was 100% ordinary hours i.e. not overtime etc. It doesn't matter when your employer actually pays the super in terms of the figure on your payslip because you earn it for each ordinary hour of work done (usually it's a quarterly payment anyway).

Quasar

Thanks, can't believe the digital tax went thru. We're never getting HBO GO now, are we?

Well...HBO Now.

That was not going to happen anyway (and any kind of tax regime would not be any reason for it not to happen), given the truckloads of cash Foxtel must have paid for a new longterm exclusive recently.

Quasar

Glad I never got around to cancelling my original US Netflix account.

When I eventually resub (I guess to the new Trek show) I'll have to see what the difference between the Australian and US prices actually works out at.

Now it seems like for a HD plan, its AUD$12.55 for US Netflix versus AUD$13.99 locally. So it wouldn't take much currency movement to even out.

Stan has done the same. Raised the price from AUD$10 to $12 starting in August. I expect as soon as Twin Peaks is done I'm also done. Its the only reason I joined anyway. Have yet to get an email from Prime Video about it. Or niche streaming services I pay for (such as Crunchyroll and now HiDive).

Actually makes me wonder about my Youtube Red and Google Drive subs also. And PSN Plus.

I'm really going to have to reass my whole digital subs thing.

Quasar

I've just kept my US Netflix account this whole time.

With so little for me to watch, I've been frequently subing and unsubbing for when specific shows appear. I unsubbed due to non use and then Stranger Things came so I rejoined for that and then left not long afterwards, in part because I wanted to join Stan for a while to watch Twin Peaks.

I'll bail from Stan after that's done and will return to Netflix for Star Trek and Stranger Things S2 and then probably bail again from that. The whole frictionless environment has meant I no longer feel any need to let subscriptions just ride.

Dunno what I'll do about Prime Video. I joined just for the anime as it was only a couple of dollars as an intro price. At some point it will be up to $10 or whatever and again that'll get me to sub and unsub for specific shows.

I think it can depend on how often they deposit it to your super? Mine is every fortnight like clockwork but then my wife apparently has hers deposited every month or so instead. Seems like an easy way for a company to hold extra cash in their reserves for a bit of extra time, which would probably add up to quite a lot if they're a decent sized operation.

At the end of the day as long as it equates to the guaranteed 9.5% of your income (or more if your EBA defines it) then all should be well.

No it isn't normal. It should always be 9.5% of your gross income, assuming this was 100% ordinary hours i.e. not overtime etc. It doesn't matter when your employer actually pays the super in terms of the figure on your payslip because you earn it for each ordinary hour of work done (usually it's a quarterly payment anyway).
Thanks to you both. It does average out to be right, it just skips some weeks with no pattern and makes up for that.

hirokazu

It sounds to me like Aarglefarg's employer is only putting it on the payslip when they make a payment. In which case it would be idea if they were actually kept to a schedule, but otherwise, Aarglefarg has to keep track and ensure there's no underpayment happening.

Machina

Banned
I strongly encourage everyone to watch yesterday's episode of Q&A. 4 of the 6 panellists are school aged teenagers taking questions from a majority youth audience

Any good usb-c rapid chargers on the cheap out there? I've got a usb-a to usb-c but it does not charge fast

The USB-C Samsung brand charger that came with my S7 Edge does a great fast charge. Buy one of those? I charge it from an electrical power point not USB, 15 minutes and my phone is near full charge.

This thing

r1chard

Any good usb-c rapid chargers on the cheap out there? I've got a usb-a to usb-c but it does not charge fast
A lot of those aren't electrically correct so even if the charger can supply 2A the phone won't draw more than .5A - or, in dire situations, the opposite (phone trying to draw 2A from a laptop that's only supposed to have .5A drawn from the socket and ... melty time).

I still find it amazing slash hilarious that you need to read reviews of chargers and cables just to make sure whatever you buy isn't going to fry your devices.

Quasar

I still find it amazing slash hilarious that you need to read reviews of chargers and cables just to make sure whatever you buy isn't going to fry your devices.

Thats why I never would buy a third party charger. I assume that's the reason for the exploding laptop that was on the news the other day.

That you cannot even trust cables is simply insane. In my day all you needed to worry about was whether it had gold plated connectors or not.

Now look into the exploding battery world of charging FPV drones...ugh. I've just taken interest in FPV drone racing from a mate who got into it last year and getting ready for my first DIY build has opened my eyes to "don't leave this type of battery on charge overnight or your battery WILL explode" levels of safety warnings.

Send help if I stop posting...

Definitely doing a pre-built rig on the cheap for the kids to play with instead of my flying safety concern :)

Patchy

Banned
Are there any legit sites that sell AU switch eshop game codes?

Picked one up today and $40 for Minecraft is insane. Hoping somewhere else has a digital code cheaper.

Jintor

A lot of those aren't electrically correct so even if the charger can supply 2A the phone won't draw more than .5A - or, in dire situations, the opposite (phone trying to draw 2A from a laptop that's only supposed to have .5A drawn from the socket and ... melty time).

Right, that's why I'm asking for recs...

If I'm remembering correctly (and vaguely at the same time!) there's a google guy that does reviews of Android cables and accessories and passes judgment on whether they comply with the platform standards. I'm fairly sure he has a site where he lists everything.

Benson? That seems to ring a bell.

Edit: muthafuckin' brain works, yo!

Edit 2: From what I remember, the cable that you use for charging is more important than the charger itself because it has computer science in it that regulates the magic hoosiwhatis from the wall into the device.

Or something. I'm not a scientician.

Oh, yeah, the koala is correct. I initially read the question as being the employer contribution actually landing in the super account rather than it appearing on the payslip. Mine is deposited to super fortnightly and appears on my payslip fortnightly, my wife's is deposited monthly or longer and appears on her payslip fortnightly.

Whomever asked the original question should definitely check up on that.

Or nevermind, I see it's sort of half sorted already in subsequent posts.

Samsung 850EVO 500GB $214 Shipped

I like the BlitzWolf Ampcore charge cables. No idea how they rate but they are strong as fuck and don't stop sending power/data after 3 months like a lot of others I used between the PS4 and PC. EDIT: this is the one I think, I order them from Banggood when on special

Jintor

my concern - aside from the obvious concern of my phone melting/exploding, which admittedly is a big concern - is that i jam it into a usb port on my computer but the computer doesn't actually provide enough charge for my damn phone to charge half the time.

my concern - aside from the obvious concern of my phone melting/exploding, which admittedly is a big concern - is that i jam it into a usb port on my computer but the computer doesn't actually provide enough charge for my damn phone to charge half the time.
Use a USB3 port and get a cable with higher amperage. It'll charge quicker than normal but still not Fast Charging fast.

Jintor

we use these shitty virtual machine terminals at work which probably haven't even heard of a usb3 port, so I think i'd be best served getting something I can plug into an electrical outlet

No AC Adapter, but it's USB powered so if your TV has USB ports or you have a USB charger lying around already you're good to go.

Cause Nintendo.
d7d.gif

For all of our teeth gnashing over PS+ holding multiplayer hostage, I have to say that the 'free' games for the last two months have been pretty damn good:

Until Dawn
Telltale Games' Game of Thrones (full season)
Just Cause 3
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry

Hopefully that quality level is maintained
probably not

kyser73

Hi all, been a while since I posted ITT...

So bummer news is I got made redundant today! Fortunately I have a payout that'll see me good for up to 5 months plus the wife is working so there isn't any immediate pressure on me, but if anyone in BrisGaf knows of any good IT recruiters, or knows of any 1st/2nd line support jobs going (contract or permanent, don't mind atm) please feel free to PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom