• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP PRICE DROP this weekend, how long until other systems follow?

Spiegel

Izayoi said:
I don't have a PSP. What I'm wondering is if I don't get a PSP now will I be able to purchase the game from the PSN Store on the NGP? This will determine whether or not I get a PSP.

That's the plan.

You can wait.

Izayoi said:
I don't have a PSP. What I'm wondering is if I don't get a PSP now will I be able to purchase the game from the PSN Store on the NGP? This will determine whether or not I get a PSP.

You can download Media Go from Sony's website - and that has a built-in PSN store. It should store on your computer's HDD until you need it if you choose to go that route.

Spiegel

Auron_Kale said:
You can download Media Go from Sony's website - and that has a built-in PSN store. It should store on your computer's HDD until you need it if you choose to go that route.

It's better to wait.

The game won't get more expensive by the time the NGP is out. It probably will be 19.99$ or less.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Massa said:
The NGP will most certainly be able to play Tactics Ogre. You'll probably even get a decent enough deal trading in your PSP when buying an NGP, I hear Gamestop is giving $75 for a DS Lite on a 3DS purchase.

Bigger issue for me is the fact that I'd want a descent memory card with it so you're talking over $150 again. Heck I'd like a Go at $99 but I'd even pay the $130 they are charging for the 3000 for a GO because it would be fine from the get go.

Once I'm over $150 though this late in the game I just can't do it, and that's pretax for the 3000 + mem stick (or adapter/sd card), and I don't even have a game yet. If it was a bundle with a game I like I'd be more tempted even if the memory card was only say 2 gigs.

$160 pretax gets me to around $200 with a game. At that point I'd probably just wait for the NGP or grab a 3DS.

Massa

Brettison said:
Bigger issue for me is the fact that I'd want a descent memory card with it so you're talking over $150 again. Heck I'd like a Go at $99 but I'd even pay the $130 they are charging for the 3000 for a GO because it would be fine from the get go.

Once I'm over $150 though this late in the game I just can't do it, and that's pretax for the 3000 + mem stick (or adapter/sd card), and I don't even have a game yet. If it was a bundle with a game I like I'd be more tempted even if the memory card was only say 2 gigs.

$160 pretax gets me to around $200 with a game. At that point I'd probably just wait for the NGP or grab a 3DS.

Well, according to some posts you might find the bundles at $130 as well, and those include a memory stick and game.

Also, while Tactics Ogre is a very well recommended game there's a pretty big catalog of much cheaper games available for the PSP. That's the main advantage of buying a PSP (or DS) these days. For instance, this week GTA Chinatown Wars is on sale for $10 on PSN. That's a fantastic game, best handheld GTA and better than the GTA IV expansions IMO. There's a bunch of other great games for $10-$20 on PSN as well (heck, $5 for Tetris and Pac-man).

For an NGP you're looking at $300 (best case scenario, most likely). That's $330 with tax and another $50 for a game.

Of course, if you're looking at a 3DS next March it's probably not a good idea to buy two consoles a month apart.

RPGCrazied

I'll buy one at 80-90bucks, no more.

I really don't care for most of the features of the PSP, I just want to game on it. I don't need another all in 1 media device.

Vanillalite

Massa said:
Well, according to some posts you might find the bundles at $130 as well, and those include a memory stick and game.

Also, while Tactics Ogre is a very well recommended game there's a pretty big catalog of much cheaper games available for the PSP. That's the main advantage of buying a PSP (or DS) these days. For instance, this week GTA Chinatown Wars is on sale for $10 on PSN. That's a fantastic game, best handheld GTA and better than the GTA IV expansions IMO. There's a bunch of other great games for $10-$20 on PSN as well (heck, $5 for Tetris and Pac-man).

For an NGP you're looking at $300 (best case scenario, most likely). That's $330 with tax and another $50 for a game.

Of course, if you're looking at a 3DS next March it's probably not a good idea to buy two consoles a month apart.

Problem is my DSL died on me last year as the cracked hinge fucked my top screen eventually. So I'm just stuck with my smartphone. So I am kind of jonsing for a handheld fix.

I know about the bundles. As I said I checked my one target and they had at some point GoW bundles for $130, but none left. I'm debating about going to my other Target.

I guess I could call them, but I'm not sure if I'd get a person that would know what I want them to look for.

Spiegel said:
It's better to wait.

The game won't get more expensive by the time the NGP is out. It probably will be 19.99$ or less.

It is a plan I agree, but at the same time, I was offering another solution should they want to get it immediately.

tass0

Banned
$129 is really cheap for the value you get.

I bought the PSP in 2005 for like 230 euros, and it's been my best gaming purchase by far.

The ability to play PS1, SNES, NES, Genesis, GBA, GB, and more on a handheld is fucking awesome.

Not to mention the nifty homebrew, like that universal remote control for TVs.

+ PSP has a few good games itself. MGS PW/PO, PoP, GoW CoO/GoS, Parasite Eve 3, and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are sweet.

Vanillalite

tass0 said:
$129 is really cheap for the value you get.

I bought the PSP in 2005 for like 230 euros, and it's been my best gaming purchase by far.

The ability to play PS1, SNES, NES, Genesis, GBA, GB, and more on a handheld is fucking awesome.

Not to mention the nifty homebrew, like that universal remote control for TVs.

It's not $130 though. It's $130 + having to buy a memory stick for that bitch.

Johnas

I just bought a PSP-3000 on Tuesday at Best Buy, but haven't opened it, I hope they would credit me the difference. I know when I got my Pioneer 4280 a few years ago it dropped $400 in price about six weeks later, and they did that with no problem.

At the very least I guess I could just return it and then re-buy it.

flyover

Takao said:
lilac-psp-hannah-montana-big.jpg

Hannah Montana PSP is actually kind of pretty.
Oh, that is pretty! If it's available when the price drops, I'm getting it.

Quixzlizx

jeremy1456 said:
Given the library, it's finally at a semi worthwhile price.

When it goes down to $99.99 it will be worth it completely.

Semi-worthwhile? The top of the library matches the DS in quality, especially if you take into account the past year. If you already have a huge backlog, it may not be worth it to pick one up before the NGP, but the library itself is full of quality.

jeremy1456

Quixzlizx said:
Semi-worthwhile? The top of the library matches the DS in quality, especially if you take into account the past year. If you already have a huge backlog, it may not be worth it to pick one up before the NGP, but the library itself is full of quality.

I've had one since PSP 1000. I disagree with you - I haven't turned it on in a couple of years, and the only reason I would want to do so is to catch up on Persona.

The top of the library doesn't match the top of the DS'.

jeremy1456 said:
I've had one since PSP 1000. I disagree with you - I haven't turned it on in a couple of years, and the only reason I would want to do so is to catch up on Persona.

The top of the library doesn't match the top of the DS'.

DJ Max Portable, Hatsune Miku Project Diva, Half-Minute Hero, Tactics Ogre, Z.H.P. - those titles alone mean I have to disagree there. This is extremely subjective, of course.

jeremy1456

hosannainexcelsis said:
DJ Max Portable, Hatsune Miku Project Diva, Half-Minute Hero, Tactics Ogre, Z.H.P. - those titles alone mean I have to disagree there. This is extremely subjective, of course.

Even being subjective, the best game you mentioned is an enhanced port of a PS1 game.

Boney

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I'll buy one at 80-90bucks, no more.

I really don't care for most of the features of the PSP, I just want to game on it. I don't need another all in 1 media device.
So then uh.. why not game on it? That's what I use mine for.

It easily had the best lineup last year.

Quixzlizx

jeremy1456 said:
Even being subjective, the best game you mentioned is an enhanced port of a PS1 game.

Even being subjective, you don't know what subjective means.

Maybe you just don't like good games.

Yaweee

jeremy1456 said:

There's not the remotest chance in hell that TO is an "enhanced port" rather than a full remake. They gutted pretty much every single gameplay mechanic and asset, except some of the unit and icon sprites.

Minsc

Gold Member
jeremy1456 said:

It's a port good enough for others to say they've disregarded all other forms gaming after starting it. Probably one of the better titles on any handheld, ever.

Yaweee said:
There's not the remotest chance in hell that TO is an "enhanced port" rather than a full remake. They gutted pretty much every single gameplay mechanic and asset, except some of the unit and icon sprites.

This too. Calling it a port very desperate.

Peace Walker for $20? Fuck yea! I think I'll be picking that up tonight

Just throwing this out there but I finally got my 3 free games email from buying a PSPGo last week and the email says the free games deal runs from 6/1/2010 to 3/31/2011. I wonder if the go gets a price drop once that deal is over next month

Orayn

Personally, I'm hoping the oft-rumored $250 PS3 comes to pass by this Summer. The PSP is quite tempting, but I really need Demon's Souls, several of the "HD Trilogy" re-releases, Uncharted, and a bunch of other exclusives.

Zoe

angelfly said:
Such a missed opportunity leaving the Go at full price.

I thought so too, but is it really in production anymore? Amazon only has the white model :\

Zoe said:
I thought so too, but is it really in production anymore? Amazon only has the white model :\
I would be very surprised if it is in production still... You can still buy launch units with the three games free stickers added on the boxes around here...

Huff

Banned
I'd love to pick up a 3000 or a Go at a super cheap price, but with the huge backlog of DS games I have, I doubt it is worth it right now.

Probably just going to wait to get a NGP since I'm not getting a 3DS

Takao

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
FUN FACT
PSPgo systems were only manufactured ONE TIME. Every PSPgo is a launch unit.

Explains why there was never a software specific hardware bundle like there are for the UMD units.

Forbiden

Phatcorns said:
Is the PSP Go still used at Gamestop for $100?

Might be, but I doubt you'll be able to find one. I tried 4 different gamestops today and couldn't find any used ones, or any new white ones. I only found one black PSP go in the 4 gamestops I went to

Hug-Dealer

Neo Member
That's just pathetic. I feel bad for all the children whose parents are about to buy them a PSP, completely unaware of the new systems about to be released. Actually, I feel bad for the parents themselves.

Vanillalite

Forbiden said:
Might be, but I doubt you'll be able to find one. I tried 4 different gamestops today and couldn't find any used ones, or any new white ones. I only found one black PSP go in the 4 gamestops I went to

Yeah none of my GS had any and I hate buying used systems to begin with.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hug-Dealer said:
That's just pathetic. I feel bad for all the children whose parents are about to buy them a PSP, completely unaware of the new systems about to be released. Actually, I feel bad for the parents themselves.
Parents buying a system 5 years into its life-cycle at half its inital price probably wouldn't be in the market for the new $250+ systems anytime soon.

And yeah, those poor children. "My parents bought me this system with tons of awesome, cheap games available, oh woe is me!"

Top Bottom