• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS launching March 27 at $250 in the US!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I think people are just relieved because they were bracing for the worst, but $250 is not a cheap hand held. Knowing Nintendo this gen it'll be ages before a price drop too. Oh well, at least it's not $300.

Dunno about that. I don't think the market can sustain such a handheld (at Nintendo DS levels) for more than a year. The DS had a price cut fairly early in its life before it stayed at $130 forever.

Binabik15

JudgeN said:
$50 to expensive, will wait for first price drop/redesign (with better battery life).

You mean "awesome revision with 4!!! (or 5!!!) cameras and 10% brighter screen for the same price".

;)

Baki

Mr_Brit said:
Just confirmed in the 3DS conference.

Are you going to get it at this price?

Edit: Picture Proof.

ea-tgs-keynote-0095.jpg

Nice, somehow I knew they'd launch at this price. The PSP launched at this price and it did just fine initially.

$299.99 would have been too much. Too bad for Sony, they won't be able to undercut them any more.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
$250 was my maximum buy price. I still need to know exactly what's coming on launch day before I resolve to dive in day one, though.

LosDaddie

Banned
That's a great launch price. Too expensive for me since I rarely play my DS, but I'll get a 3DS when they hit $200 and have Mario Kart.

krae_man

Jigsaw said:
this better be max 200€ in europe (250 $ = 185€)

if it's 250€ = 340$

Fat chance since you're forgetting about the what 20% VAT? You're probably looking more at 225-249€.

Andrex said:
Dunno about that. I don't think the market can sustain such a handheld (at Nintendo DS levels) for more than a year. The DS had a price cut fairly early in its life before it stayed at $130 forever.
I guess time will tell. Nintendo is nothing if not hard to predict.

AwRy108

Very interested in the device itself, but none of the games are compelling enough for me to drop $250 yet. Will probably wait a bit to see how the software library grows.

Alucrid

Banned
Dunno if I should buy this, or pick up a cheap DSi and wait for 3DS mkII.

Psst. I'll probably buy one of your old DSi's.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
mauaus said:
Is Zelda OoT a launch tittle?
It's not in Japan, and given Reggie's "oh yeah, you can play that too" approach to it during the show, my guess is that it's probably just launch window and not launch day.

Barrett2

I just put in my pre-order on Amazon. I am assuming that puts me near the front of the line, so I can actually get my hands on it day one. Hype!

In a "normal" year for consoles, I would consider this too much...

...After looking at around 25+ console titles I'm anticipating this year, yeah, $250 for a handheld is too much for my blood. Waiting for a price drop of at least $50 no matter how long it takes.

L00P

I always thought that 250 dollars is the sweet spot. 300 is just too darn expensive, but I don't think it can't go less than 200 because of all those things it can do. I guess it's the right price even though I would have preferred if it was cheaper X)

I can't say I'm sold yet, though...Well, at launch, at least. I wanna see it in action first!

DonMigs85 said:
Same as PSP Value Pack back in 2005... But that was much more powerful hardware for its time.
In pure processing, sure, but what was the cost for the PSP with the 3D screen, touch screen, microphone, 3 cameras, and an accelerometer?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Perfect price $300 would have been too high and $199 wouldn't have made sense this is a next generation DS why would it be only $20 more they've still got DS to sell people

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why were people expecting it less than 250? I thought people who kept up with the updates already knew it was 250?

Spiegel

Expected price. I won't buy one at launch and probably not until 2012.

JoshuaJSlone said:
In pure processing, sure, but what was the cost for the PSP with the 3D screen, touch screen, microphone, 3 cameras, and an accelerometer?

All we need to know is that Sony was losing money at first with the PSP and Nintendo is making nice profit with each 3DS unit.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I was expecting $249.99, I am not disappointed. It's a bit much but it's my b-day month and I have to treat myself to something. Pre-ordered a black one on Amazon. Can't wait!

Alex

Pricey for the hardware, but price isn't the issue so much as the blargh showing of titles so far. I'll just wait until the first revision and slew of games and reevaluate then, I'm swamped as is.

Top Bottom