• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is free on Fire TV (March 2017)

Agent X

Amazon often promotes a different free game for Fire TV and Fire TV Stick every month. Sometimes they simply shine a spotlight on a game that's already available for free, while other times they take a normally "purchasable" game and temporarily offer it as a freebie. Although the month is almost over, it's worth noting that the current free offering is not only a normally "paid" game, but it's a very good one: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX!

I've got the first-generation Fire TV Stick, and the game plays very well, with no performance issues as far as I could tell. The visuals are just as crisp as what I've seen on the PS3 version, with a smooth frame rate.

The game is playable using standard remote control. The directional pad is used to move Pac-Man (of course), and bombs can be detonated using large button in the center of the directional pad. From what I've tried so far, control is good, but I occasionally tend to activate a bomb by accident during intense moments because my thumb will slip off the pad and hit the center button. It would've been nice to have the option to use one of the other buttons instead of the center button.

One big drawback compared to other versions of the game is that there are no online scoreboards whatsoever. You can always strive to improve your own score, but don't expect to see your friends' scores--or anyone else's, for that matter. If you crave that level of competition, then you'll have to play one of the other versions.

Despite a few quirks, it's hard to beat free, so it's still worth the download for Fire TV owners who want to get a Pac-Man CE DX fix.

But then I'd have to get a fire TV.

Would be completely redundant in my setup with an android TV and having a great phone and tablet to play such games anyway

I already have 2 pacman games on droid

Top Bottom