• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

That it manages to cover this very dense topic without being boring, condescending, simplistic or preachy is a testament to the skill of the director and writer. It could have become rubbish very, very easily.

This right here is what made me appreciate it so much more. It could have easily gone down those paths but as I mentioned all the themes I thought were handled very well.

I'll have to check out that commentary track too.

Branduil

It's hard for me to imagine Beautiful Dreamer being made by any other director. It's just so suited to Oshii's talents in the way he produces atmosphere and surreal imagery.

Jex

I think what is especially impressive about the film is how much respect it has for the viewer. The movie definitely feels like it was written and directed with the understanding that the person watching the movie is not a retard who needs everything spoon fed to them, and every topic detailed and simplified. The way it handles the topic of religion is especially noteworthy, because it is so rare to see religion being used purely as a character aspect, without the need to dramatize or expand on it as some sort of plot element. Instead it is shown as a lifestyle choice of a specific character, and used to contrast and develop how different people have different outlooks on life and hence react differently to certain interactions and events.

That feeling of respect, which is often quite hard to quantify, is certainly lacking from many other projects. I think you have to be, perhaps, as naive and idealistic as GAINAX was to even attempt to make that kind of film for the general audience.

Incidentally, I find that it's not really 'bad' shows or movies that get on my nerves - it's the ones which talk down me as a viewer and treat me like an idiot. For me, that's a thousand times more aggravating then lazy writing or incompetent direction.

Lain

Dennou Coil 15-26 [END]

Lots of things happened, some nice, some sad.
Sosuke seemed fishy from the start, so it didn't surprise me much to find out he was warped, while finding out 4-4-2-3 was Isako was more surprising.
From the first episode
they tried to kill poor Densuke, and they managed it =(.
I also felt the message about the new wanting to supplant the old and adults always ruining the fun of kids to be a bit too strong, and I didn't like how the character's faces when a bit far from the camera would lose so much detail in certain cases. In one instance Isako didn't even have eyes, a nose or a mouth. Kinda disappointing, considering how good the show looked (and animated).

Jex

I can't really find any interviews where Oshii talks shit about Takahasi, which isn't surprising considering that she's like the richest women in Japan or something. Still, I found this comment from Oshii pretty funny:
Mamoru Oshii said:
Q: Finally, I'd like to ask if, as both the writer and the director, if you have any statements about this film.

A: I think it might leave an impression at first glance that this is a special departure even for Urusei Yatsura, but in fact that isn't the case; the result is a pretty straight treatment of Urusei Yatsura the way I think about it.

This isn't a unique example of the story, and definitely not an enigma, but surprisingly a production that directly portrays Urusei Yatsura itself.

So, I feel like we did everything we could do.
Uh-huh, whatever Oshii, you aren't fooling anyone with that talk.

Jex

City montage definitely fits!

God dammit I've been talking about Oshii's city montages for ages! Proof: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25321239&highlight=oshii#post25321239
I hate Unicorn with a burning passion. Banagher makes it unbearable. It's salvageable only for the mecha designs.
Also the fight scenes. Really, those action sequences are some of the best in Gundam history. They're not quite on part with the visual splendour of 0083 or 0080, but they actually make physical sense (kind of), pilots have to use tactics, suits tend to blow up in one hit etc.
The only problem with not treating your audience like idiots is that most people are.

Oh, and people put me at the top of the monocle rankings?

/XX/

It won't help you respect anything else they've made, but it'll at least open your eyes to the true potential the Gainax staff has, if they didn't sell out to fame and fortune instead.
That sure worked out well, yeah... as much as for their creditors (and their confidence on the studio).

duckroll

That sure worked out well, yeah... as much as for their creditors (and their confidence in them).

I don't think you should listen to the lies of their alleged poverty, especially coming from men who were previously willfully engaged in tax fault! :D

Steroyd

Another - 06

BOOOOOOOOOOOO @ the spoiler pics.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA @ the closing moments of the episode I so hope the next ep follows through and starts with a
massacre.

Jex

0083 is top-tier when it comes to visual spectacle. Unfortunately the writing is pretty horrible, but it is incredibly Gundam. Maybe that's why the writing sucks.

0080 and 08th MS Team are the most respectable Gundam works in general.

Turn-A Gundam is the most unique TV series with the most consistent execution.

G-Gundam will always be Best-Gundam in my heart.
WARNING: This post contains a dangerous amount of facts.

Articalys

Gankutsuou 1-6

This show has an absolutely insane sense of style. It might not always be the best kind of insane, but it certainly stands out. The unmoving pattern textures are pretty cool once you get used to it.
Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying the show so far, and the Count is an amazing character. I guess I'm missing out on Jōji Nakata and Jun Fukuyama in the lead roles by watching the dub, but the English performances are pretty good all around so I'm not complaining.

Thoraxes

Another - 06

BOOOOOOOOOOOO @ the spoiler pics.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA @ the closing moments of the episode I so hope the next ep follows through and starts with a
massacre.

All these reaction reviews of the latest episode make me wish I wasn't stuck here and could be at home watching this right now.

7Th

Loran is the best Gundam protagonist: humble, consistent in his ideology, not fooled by bullshit and looks looks great in a dress.

841564-11A870N.jpg

Soma

As much hate as the particular series gets (and probably very much deserves), Heero is still my favorite Gundam protagonist.

He was just such a crazy bad-ass.

Jex

Gankutsuou 1-6

This show has an absolutely insane sense of style. It might not always be the best kind of insane, but it certainly stands out. The unmoving pattern textures are pretty cool once you get used to it.
Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying the show so far, and the Count is an amazing character. I guess I'm missing out on Jōji Nakata and Jun Fukuyama in the lead roles by watching the dub, but the English performances are pretty good all around so I'm not complaining.

The Count is seriously amazing in the original Japanse. I can't imagine listening to him any other way. I understand there may be certain videos on a popular video based website that might demonstrate what I mean.

Narag

As much hate as the particular series gets (and probably very much deserves), Heero is still my favorite Gundam protagonist.

I wish Oz got more love from W fans. Each time I've rewatched the series I appreciate them more.

The Count is seriously amazing in the original Japanse. I can't imagine listening to him any other way. I understand there may be certain videos on a popular video based website that might demonstrate what I mean.

Jouji Nakata has an old-school thespian sound to his voice which is very impressive in a larger-than-life way. It's appropriate for the Count's character.

Steroyd

Natsume S4 - 07

Welp talk about a brain fart, I had actually forgotten this was the 2nd part of a 2 parter.

Playing on Natsume's insecurities about bringing a human into the world of the Youkai, overall a rather flat episode from last week in how everything developed and in delivering the main theme, the bromance was there at least.

It's great. I have it.

Also, it's expensive because it was one of those few Bandai Visual USA releases. It's like $40 now from a seller on Amazon. The MSRP was $80, lol. And that's why BVUSA did not last long! On the plus, you get a really nice sturdy chipboard box with resealable wrap. (don't throw it away if you buy it)

Darn it, pizzaroll. Last time I had looked, I saw prices around $80. Then, I got paid today...

I hate myself sometimes. : (
oh man, I can't wait until it gets here!

ALL YOUR FAULT, PIZZAROLL!

Geneijin

I watched Disappearance without knowing anything about the Haruhi canon story, but I had a friend who did know the story sitting by me to answer all my questions as they came up, and it cohered into enough sense that the emotional beats hit home. It's a very well-made movie, but if you don't have the means to provide context to the series, the first half will be pretty strange, and the entire second half will seem like utter nonsense.

It's sort of an interesting curiosity watching the movie without knowing the events of the series, because then you see Kyon the way everyone in the movie sees him, and it makes him look really crazy. But he's still a pretty likable protagonist.
It's a spoiler in itself by saying this but the only requirement to watch Disappearance if one must know is watching
the entirety of S1 or its major episodes, and only Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Episode 1) of S2 and maybe an episode or select few off the Endless Eight arc.

But if you do, then you can totally predict the story more than usual :lol

Jex

So, let's talk about War in the Pocket.
This is a series marketed to stupid little kids who glorify war by purchasing little plastic models of weapons of mass destruction.

This is also a story about a stupid little kid who goes from glorifying war during wartime to learning that people die when they are killed the hard way, by seeing his surrogate father/brother get turned into hamburger by a beam saber.

This is also about how children must abandon their naivete in order to become adults.

Make of that what you will.
War In The Pocket is generally excellent, but I think the writing is easily one of it's strongest points. All the characters are believable and understandable. They aren't just assholes for no reason like in, say, pretty much every major Tomino series. Even the soldiers who catch Alfred going nuts on that car handle him with care because he's just a little kid. If that was Zeta Gundam those soldiers would neo-nazi types that like to beat up on kids.

Anyway, War in the Pocket really helps sell the idea that UC Gundam shows are better when they focus on smaller scale stories and without Tomino's involvement. Sure, Tomino created the UC universe but frankly he doesn't tell very good stories within in it - I much prefer the kind of story he tells in the bizarre universe of ∀ Gundam.
[...]- The mechas. Zakus are boring and Alex is just an RX-78 with armor. Kampfer was cool though.[...]

The hell are you saying about Zaku's?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
War In The Pocket is generally excellent, but I think the writing is easily one of it's strongest points. All the characters are believable and understandable. They aren't just assholes for no reason like in, say, pretty much every major Tomino series. Even the soldiers who catch Alfred going nuts on that car handle him with care because he's just a little kid. If that was Zeta Gundam those soldiers would neo-nazi types that like to beat up on kids.
I was expecting them to shoot him. Then they could move on to awesome adventures starring Bernie.
The hell are you saying about Zaku's?
Zakus are LAME.

Although to be honest, a lot of the old Gundams are also LAME.

And by lame I mean boring.

Jex

I don't really care for the original RX-78, but leave the Zaku alone man, that design is awesome.

sonicmj1

As a Gundam neophyte, this thread is making me want to track down War in the Pocket and 8th MS Team.

Anyways...

Usagi Drop 7

Yet another exhibition of why this show is so great.

It's not just cute (oh it's so fucking cute), but it's also exploring all the aspects of what it means to be a parent. The more mothers and children we encounter, the more we learn about different aspects of raising a child. It's rewarding, but it's tough, and it takes a lot of sacrifice.

This episode was one of the fuller explorations of that, and it was really well handled.
I felt like there were a lot of layers of complexity to Reiko, and how Reina had to deal with all this drama in her life. Reiko felt really human in how she was trying to figure out what was best for both her daughter and herself. And while Reina always seemed like such a brat in the first few episodes, the part where she invites Rin over to her futon was a subtle and effective way of showing how hard all this fighting was for her.

Some feelings get expressed, and characters reach a deeper understanding, but as with Masako before, the conclusion of the episode isn't a neat and happy ending to the issues in their lives. It's just a tough thing that they have to try and deal with. Life has its joys, but it's also tough.

It's a really adult show, and the deeper I get into it the more I respect it.

Zakus are LAME.

You are lame.

Haly

Get EXVS and I'll fight you guys and show how lame your Zakus really are.

They should have eliminated the kid and i would enjoy War In The Pocket much more than i currently do.

Indeed.

I don't really care for the original RX-78, but leave the Zaku alone man, that design is awesome.

I'd assume by Zaku, you mean the Zaku 2? The original Zaku was boring, if that's what he means. The Zaku 2 is iconic though.

I agree about the RX-78, but it surely had more charm than the Alex (which didn't really get enough screentime).

They should have eliminated that kid and i would enjoy War In The Pocket much more than i currently do.

Can't say I liked him much either, but he served a purpose.

I really enjoyed 0080 (still do), but it needed less kid and more mecha.

Jintor

It's a spoiler in itself by saying this but the only requirement to watch Disappearance if one must know is watching
the entirety of S1 or its major episodes, and only Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Episode 1) of S2 and maybe an episode or select few off the Endless Eight arc.

But if you do, then you can totally predict the story more than usual :lol

I really wish I hadn't read the fan-translated light novel like 3 or 4 years ago :<

I wonder how those Little Brown official Light Novels are going. I see them all the time when I go down to Kino! I wonder if I can just shoot them a mail and get some sales stats... probably not lol

Haly

Animegaf, it's time to show your allegiance:

0080: Bernard Wiseman
08th MS: Shiro Amada
Crossbone: Tobia Arronax

I have a hard time choosing but if I had to rank them it would be:
1. Shiro
2. Bernie
3. Tobia

Jex

They should have eliminated the kid and i would enjoy War In The Pocket much more than i currently do.

Yeah, but, it's kind of about kids and war. You need to have a kid, and he's annoying for a good reason. It's so you can have this thing they call character development.

Haly

I forgot to mention.

As an unintended memorial and remembrance of Bernie, Zaku II (piloted by Bernie) is S tier in EXVS.

Can't say I liked him much either, but he served a purpose.

I really enjoyed 0080 (still do), but it needed less kid, more Bernie and more mecha.

Fixed.

Yeah, but, it's kind of about kids and war. You need to have a kid, and he's annoying for a good reason. It's so you can have this thing they call character development

@ bold: This is where the problem really lies for me (plus that voice from the dub was.. UGH).

Yea I get why he's there but he was so insufferable that it would have been better he wasn't so his "development" was pretty wasted on me by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom