• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

You mean northbridge? There's the overclocking arms race as well as an increased focus on aesthetics. There's also a growing number of features on boards that you wouldn't have seen a few years ago. The debug LED on the Asus boards is a prime example, or the shielded onboard sound on the G1 and RoG series.

Ultimately though, they know that just about anyone with SB, SB-E, and Ivy are looking to overclock with how insanely simple it is. The capacitors, VRM, and phase management all need to be decent quality to handle that.

If you want a motherboard that isn't designed for any of that, there is always stuff like cheap H67s to get the job done. It's silly to look at high end stuff and say "why are high end boards expensive when there isn't a northbridge anymore?". Northbridge is only a small portion of what a motherboard does.

The problem is that these aren't the high end boards in this price range. You're looking at 350-400$ for a high end board now. Debug displays are about as new as the combustion engine. Motherboards from the 80's had them. And having onboard sound that doesn't sound like it's running through a shitty FM transmitter is hardly an advanced feature. H77 doesn't support overclocking, and Z75 boards basically do not exist. Z77 is really the only choice for people who are not looking for a 'mom and pop' machine. My 775 motherboard was in the <$100 range. Similar spec'd boards now seem nearly double in price. Hopefully we just need some time to get some reasonable Z75 boards out.

Hawk269

Currently it looks like this

CM Cosmos II
Intel i7 3930k
Phanteks PH-TC14PE + Extra Fan - Red
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133MHz ( MIGHT get another pair, just for show but just feels like a big waste - Also had to make sure they fit under the Phanteks )
2 x Palit GTX 680 4GB Jetstream
512GB Samsung 830 + 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Seasonic SS-1000XP
Audiotrak Prodigy Cube ( Might get an XTZ A-800 instead )

Then I have two 750GBs with a ton of my stuff on from my old build. Reason for the fans is the Cosmos II has tons of fan slots but it has a few missing as standard. So on top there's room for a 200mm, then I have a spare 120mm that ships with the case from up there I can use somewhere else.

Damn...very similar to my build. Same processor, same mobo, same memory and same amount as well, same SSD set up with the same 2x1tb Samsung HDD's...lol. My SSD Samsung is the 256gb version (runs great).

The mobo is really f'n impressive. It is so easy to OC the CPU with that board and there are so many options for the more skilled OC'rs amongst us. I've been at a solid 4.6 for a bit and can easily go to 4.7 which I have not done yet since putting in the Scythe's...actually awaiting 2 more of them to do a push/pull configuration with the H100 and see what the temps are like.

What is the memory speed rated on your GPU's? I have yet to see a review of any 4gb GTX 680's and just wondering what the speed the memory runs at on those cards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
New Builds

http://bit.ly/Q2_2012_Haz

What does Power Phase Design mean.

I read it has something to do with over clocking but I'm not sure how to read the numbers.

The motherboard I got has a 4+2 phase design. (Asrock z77 Pro4) Is this OK for overclocking?

Now I'm not talking about heavy overclocking. But more like getting a i5-3570K to 4.0-4.3 Ghz.
Just what regulates power to the board/CPU. Basically the more you have the better 'cleaner' power you will have. More balances that load and helps it last longer. I don't have numbers, but with boards ranging from 4-20 solid PWMs now it's kind of crazy. 6 seems to do just fine for light overclocks. I wouldn't worry about a 4.3Ghz OC at all.
It Boggles my mind how motherboards seem to get more and more expensive as more and more features are moved off the motherboard and onto the CPU. I'm more tempted to pick up a SNB part than IVB just for the motherboard pricing. Even the decent ASRock Z77 mobos seem to be pushing near $200. Perhaps I just don't look at motherboards often enough and don't remember how much I usually spend on one.
True. I wanted to bring up three deals I found while browsing new parts selection. If you want value... there's really no competition that I can see.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $70AR
BIOSTAR TZ77B - $80 AR
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 - $110 AR

The BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 really grabbed my attention, you get:
CFX/SLI, Virtu MVP,13 Phase PWM, proper 8x/8x PCI-E 3.0.
Sure you only get 2x SATA 6gbps and 2x USB3.0 on the back, but... that's pretty solid.

Hawk269

Great job Haz...looks really well done. You should do a Uber build as well. You know 2x690's, 3960x, Asus IV Extreme Mobo etc.

Sethos

Banned
Nice Hazaro, little detail under Extravagant - It says S.Skill.

Damn...very similar to my build. Same processor, same mobo, same memory and same amount as well, same SSD set up with the same 2x1tb Samsung HDD's...lol. My SSD Samsung is the 256gb version (runs great).

The mobo is really f'n impressive. It is so easy to OC the CPU with that board and there are so many options for the more skilled OC'rs amongst us. I've been at a solid 4.6 for a bit and can easily go to 4.7 which I have not done yet since putting in the Scythe's...actually awaiting 2 more of them to do a push/pull configuration with the H100 and see what the temps are like.

What is the memory speed rated on your GPU's? I have yet to see a review of any 4gb GTX 680's and just wondering what the speed the memory runs at on those cards.

What is it they say, great minds think alike 'eh :p ?

But yeah, I've heard great things about the motherboard. However, the primary reason why I picked it was due to its slot spacing. The Palits are both 3 slots which takes up a ton of room, so needed something from Asus with 7 slots ( For the space between them ) and it kinda narrowed down my choice big-time.

And the memory clock of the Palits are 6300 Mhz

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I should probably mention H61/P67 out of box compatibility somewhere... Something to make a note of.
Great job Haz...looks really well done. You should do a Uber build as well. You know 2x690's, 3960x, Asus IV Extreme Mobo etc.
Not worth the time for me. It's more a throw away section where you can sub one of two things in there.
Nice Hazaro, little detail under Extravagant - It says S.Skill.
Fixed

ZetaEpyon

Nice, when my 3770K arrives tomorrow, I'll pretty much have exactly the new Enthusiast build. :)

Intel i7-3770K
ASUS Maximus V Gene
16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
ASUS GTX 680
Seasonic X750
Fractal Define R3
128GB Crucial M4

Also, noticed this in that build:
Any 1.5V 4x4GB (8GB)

Given the price, assuming this is meant to read 16GB.

Weenerz

Banned
My GTX 570 died on me so I went ahead and started the upgrade process for a few pieces. Picked up;

XFX 7970 Black Edition
Intel 520 180gb SSD
Corsair AX750 PSU

So excited but poor.

I'm currently looking into a new build since the 680's and Ivy Bridge is out. This is going to be a small ITX build so there are a few compromises, but not many. Here are the parts I have in mind so far:

CPU: i7 3770k
GPU: eVGA Geforce GTX 680
MB: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q08
PSU: Corsair HX650 (still have to determine if I'm confident it will fit ok)
HDD: undecided, just looking for a good 1TB drive, SSD too expensive
BD-ROM: undecided, just looking for a BluRay reader

Any recommendations? I won't be ordering for another week or two.

LordAlu

Nice work on the build list. There's a little error on the Enthusiast build - RAM section shows 4x4GB (8GB) when it should be 4x4GB (16GB).
Edit: Beaten by Zeta.

Also, I literally can't find the Asus P8Z77-V LK anywhere in the UK, what's the advantage of it over the LX?

Shambles

Nice work on the build list. There's a little error on the Enthusiast build - RAM section shows 4x4GB (8GB) when it should be 4x4GB (16GB).

Also, I literally can't find the Asus P8Z77-V LK anywhere in the UK, what's the advantage of it over the LX?

ASUS is working on two new value P8Z77-V series socket LGA1155 motherboards based on the Intel Z77 Express chipset. These are the P8Z77-V LK and P8Z77-V LX. The two are designed to occupy price-points well under US $150. The P8Z77-V LK is the costlier of the two, featuring three PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots (x16/NC/NC or x8/x8/NC or x8/x4/x4), 6-phase CPU VRM, six USB 3.0 ports, two SATA 6 Gb/s and four SATA 3 Gb/s internal ports; and display outputs that include DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, and DisplayPort.

The P8Z77-V LX is probably ASUS' cheapest Z77 motherboard, with the same 6-phase CPU VRM, but a single PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slot wired to the CPU, a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 (electrical x4) wired to the Z77 PCH, three PCI, two PCI-Express 2.0 x1, all internal ports wired to the PCH (2x SATA 6 Gb/s, 4x SATA 3 Gb/s), and a slightly slimmer connectivity loadout that includes 6-channel HD audio, four USB 3.0 ports (2x rear, 2x front-panel, all from PCH), and display outputs that include DVI, D-Sub, and HDMI.

From tech powerup

ParityBit

Speaking of sound cards. I have a Xonar DX, but I am wondering if I should just stick with on board sound. My motherboard is a P8Z77-V DELUXE.

Lkr

Here is a pretty good looking pre-built rig on Newegg...It has a Ivy 3770k and a 680 so he would be getting cutting edge as it stands today. Be better to build it himself or have you build it, but if he wants a pre-built this one does not look too bad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227417

lol the funny thing is he was talking about $500 computers. I know it isn't possible to do anything prebuilt with a budget like that, but for whatever reason people refuse to listen :(

i'll see if i can talk them into sending the parts to me and having me build it and then ship it to them.

lol the funny thing is he was talking about $500 computers. I know it isn't possible to do anything prebuilt with a budget like that, but for whatever reason people refuse to listen :(

i'll see if i can talk them into sending the parts to me and having me build it and then ship it to them.

I've done this for someone before and the box the case comes in is perfect for shipping the finished PC.

ZetaEpyon

I've done this for someone before and the box the case comes in is perfect for shipping the finished PC.

If you do this using anything more than a low-profile stock Intel heatsink, I would recommend shipping without the heatsink attached; or at least strap the heatsink to solid parts of the case. Definitely don't want a heatsink flying around loose inside the PC if the box gets handled roughly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I edited the image and links again. I finished it at 1 or 2am, thanks for looking it over.
Nice, when my 3770K arrives tomorrow, I'll pretty much have exactly the new Enthusiast build. :)

Intel i7-3770K
ASUS Maximus V Gene
ASUS GTX 680
Seasonic X750
Fractal Define R3
128GB Crucial M4

Those are some good parts. :)

Cheers. Yeah the LK having 8x PCI-E is the big main draw. The other has a gimped PCI-E 2.0 running at 4x or 8x which is just unacceptable.
Speaking of sound cards. I have a Xonar DX, but I am wondering if I should just stick with on board sound. My motherboard is a P8Z77-V DELUXE.
Onboard for my P8P67 PRO is damn good, so you should be ok.
If you have the card you might as well compare.

Karmum

Banned
Sometimes I wish I could just live in like weather between 30 F - 75 F all year round, never seen my GPU idle in the teens. :eek:

Yusaku

Dunno if it's been posted, but both the i5-2500K ($219.99) and i5-2500 ($209.99) are $15 off from NewEgg with EMCNENJ23 for the 2500K and EMCNFHD32 for the 2500.

Almost $200 (before tax and/or shipping) for the 2500K isn't too bad, but still doesn't beat getting it from Microcenter for like $180. That was awesome. :p

Yeah I just got a 2500K from Microcenter for $169.99 yesterday.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also I'm looking for a smaller nice quiet case that will fit a larger GPU. Only needs to hold 3 HDDs and an SSD + 2 DVD drives.

My current case has such poor airflow and blocks my legs under my desk it's about time I got a new chair and new case I think.

Also I bought that 30nm Samsung memory. Here's hoping it doesn't die in a year.

Karmum

Banned
Yeah I just got a 2500K from Microcenter for $169.99 yesterday.
$10 less now? Lame. :(

The closest Microcenter to me is like over an hour away, living in South Jersey blows. Always. I'd shop there much more often if I lived near one.

Edit - Probably going to buy a new (and quiet) case sometime next week, probably on my birthday actually. Corsair 550D, Antec P280 or Fractal R3? Willing to go as high as $140 for the Corsair if it's that much better than the other two. Pretty sure all three are larger than the Antec Three Hundred and should fit both my GTX 460s easily, along with everything else. Move everything and have some proper cable management, everything is currently a mess right now (and has been since August), it was nearly impossible to install my second 460.

Chris R

Intel i7-3770K
ASUS Maximus V Gene
ASUS GTX 680
Seasonic X750
Fractal Define R3
128GB Crucial M4

Post some pics when you get it built! I was considering a Define R3 or Arc Midi for my case (and was going to use the same cpu/mobo and probably a 670) so I want to see how it could have turned out!

No idea why Amazon USA doesn't carry Fractal Design cases but Amazon.co.uk does :(

I'm tempted to jump the ivy 680 train as well :( :) Any words against the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H ? That's the one I was eyeing for so far.

Trey

Alright, got the first build up and running, installed Windows, everything seems to be fine.

Two things though; both with the motherbord. I got the Asus P8Z68-V LX, and it says it has a slot for USB 3.0 inputs, but for the life of me I cannot find it. A motherboard connector came with the case. Also, the SATA 6.0 inputs are right above the system panel connector, so the white cables that came with the HDD won't fit above them. I currently have them in the 3.0 gbps.

All in all it was a fun experience.

MrBig

Welp, can't find the 3570k anywhere for less than $240 (after tax/shipping), and no local stores carry them. Finally figured out that NCIX doesn't accept US cards either so that will bring the cost of my build up. Will go with a 2500k if no deals pop up in the next couple weeks.

And to think I had a 3570k for $190, less than what a 2500k can be found for now, in my microcenter cart, along with $50 off a z77-v pro, but had an issue with it not being able to verify my shipping address, back when the deal applied online :(

Amazon (TigerDirect) has it for $229.99 plus $5.02 shipping. Shouldn't be any tax involved.

I am charged $16.50 tax.

Karmum

Banned
Welp, can't find the 3570k anywhere for less than $240 (after tax/shipping), and no local stores carry them. Finally figured out that NCIX doesn't accept US cards either so that will bring the cost of my build up. Will go with a 2500k if no deals pop up in the next couple weeks.
Amazon (TigerDirect) has it for $229.99 plus $5.02 shipping. Shouldn't be any tax involved.

Edit - Stop. $20 rebate on TigerDirect, $209 AR. Free shipping, too.

I am charged $16.50 tax.
Ah, my bad. Forgot TD doesn't tax in NJ (obviously does where you are). Yeouch.

TheExodu5

Banned
The newer 2TB Hitachi Deskstars seem like really solid choices for game drives...when I move my Samsung F4s over to my media server, they might be my drives of choice for a 2x 2TB RAID 0 setup.

edit: damn, so many Hitachi models. Can't remember which I saw reviewed, but it compared superbly to WD/Seagate/Samsung. Maybe it was the Ultrastar.

Here it is:
http://www.storagereview.com/hitachi_deskstar_7k3000_3tb_review_hds723030ala640

Looking at NewEgg prices...yeah, I'll wait until they're back down where they should be. My main reason for straying from Seagate/WD is that they're cutting warranties from 5 to 1 year, and failure rates across the board are terrible since the floods.

Yusaku

This is what I wound up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H67M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($91.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Silverstone SG07-B Mini ITX Desktop Case w/600W Power Supply ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($119.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($82.21 @ eCost)
Total: $970.14

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Motherboard: ASRock H67M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($91.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Silverstone SG07-B Mini ITX Desktop Case w/600W Power Supply ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($119.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($82.21 @ eCost)
Total: $970.14
Can you swap your H61 board for any of Biostar's Z77 boards? Features and price should be similar, but you can overclock which is a huge bonus.

bee

I'm tempted to jump the ivy 680 train as well :( :) Any words against the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H ? That's the one I was eyeing for so far.

i got the cheaper z77x-d3h, its the same except the 2oz copper and silly onboard buttons. sweet board, boots stupidly fast and i just clocked my 3570k to 4.3ghz with 1 setting, raising the multiplier to 43 :p

Takuan

What the hell, I paid $210 and it was "on sale". Sure, in Canada, but last I checked our PC component prices were nearly identical!

@Hazaro, I couldn't get the system to run stable at all using any - voltage modifiers. I think the settings you were referring to apply to the more premium versions of the P8Z68 boards, since I couldn't find those particular settings on the LX. I'm back to automatic voltage settings and running stable again.

Still a bit bothered by the temps, so I bought Arctic MX-4, cleaned up my heatsink and cpu to the best of my ability (the design of the 212+ makes it nigh-impossible to remove all of the old TIM), then applied two short-ish strips on the outer aluminum bars and a dot in the middle. I'm still hovering in the mid-high 30s at idle, but now my temperatures across all cores are closer. I almost want to lap the damned thing, but I don't have the time to bother for a few degrees C. I'll deal with high-ish temps.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What the hell, I paid $210 and it was "on sale". Sure, in Canada, but last I checked our PC component prices were nearly identical!

@Hazaro, I couldn't get the system to run stable at all using any - voltage modifiers. I think the settings you were referring to apply to the more premium versions of the P8Z68 boards, since I couldn't find those particular settings on the LX. I'm back to automatic voltage settings and running stable again.

Still a bit bothered by the temps, so I bought Arctic MX-4, cleaned up my heatsink and cpu to the best of my ability (the design of the 212+ makes it nigh-impossible to remove all of the old TIM), then applied two short-ish strips on the outer aluminum bars and a dot in the middle. I'm still hovering in the mid-high 30s at idle, but now my temperatures across all cores are closer. I almost want to lap the damned thing, but I don't have the time to bother for a few degrees C. I'll deal with high-ish temps.
Microcenter is crazy, don't compare prices to it.

That's too bad you couldn't get it stable any lower.

asdad123

If replacing a motherboard and processor, would I need to reinstall my os?

My brother is thinking of replacing his amd x4 640 with a sandy bridge setup.

Edit: never mind. Found my answer :(

Seiru

Banned
So my new video card's fans make a horrible buzzing noise unless I do this:
http://i.imgur.com/eC1sG.jpg

Yes, that's a mini hdmi adapter shoved between a heat sink pipe and part of the plastic border around the fan.

It literally only moves things maybe a centimeter, so I don't think I'm harming anything, but..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So my new video card's fans make a horrible buzzing noise unless I do this:
http://i.imgur.com/eC1sG.jpg

Yes, that's a mini hdmi adapter shoved between a heat sink pipe and part of the plastic border around the fan.

It literally only moves things maybe a centimeter, so I don't think I'm harming anything, but..
I'd go to a pet or hardware store and ask for 10 cents of rubber, either like a big o-ring or some cut aquarium tubing for you instead.

When you get the chance at least.

Yusaku

Can you swap your H61 board for any of Biostar's Z77 boards? Features and price should be similar, but you can overclock which is a huge bonus.

I'm building a mini-ITX setup. I could pay $60-70 more for a Z77 mini-ITX board, but then I'd need a non-stock CPU cooler and even then I probably wouldn't be able to OC as well as I could with a full ATX set up. I only got the 2500K because it was the best deal.

MBison

So I installed my new 7970 today and I downloaded the latest 12.4 drivers, install, and the software info says its the 12.3 drivers. Plus when I say to check for updates, it says that 12.4 is out and I should download so I did it again and installed and same thing, 12.3

Should I be concerned or is this just some weird glitch?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm building a mini-ITX setup. I could pay $60-70 more for a Z77 mini-ITX board, but then I'd need a non-stock CPU cooler and even then I probably wouldn't be able to OC as well as I could with a full ATX set up. I only got the 2500K because it was the best deal.
The ASUS -I Deluxe has the same overclocking abilities as the -V. If you look at the top of the board, they basically have full phase control as a pseudo-expansion slot.
So I installed my new 7970 today and I downloaded the latest 12.4 drivers, install, and the software info says its the 12.3 drivers. Plus when I say to check for updates, it says that 12.4 is out and I should download so I did it again and installed and same thing, 12.3

Should I be concerned or is this just some weird glitch?
No idea, I'd check some AMD forums to find out. But seriously, don't install AMD drivers over AMD drivers without sweeping the old ones first.

MBison

No idea, I'd check some AMD forums to find out. But seriously, don't install AMD drivers over AMD drivers without sweeping the old ones first.

Whats the best way to uninstall the current drivers and install new ones? Sounds like a dumb question but just want to make sure I do it correctly ;)

mkenyon

Banned
Posting here in case anyone is interested.

Sapphire 7970 3GB Reference for sale, $400 takes it home. The one in this here computer:

SADzkl.jpg

I've actually done very little gaming on it. Didn't put it into my big rig until about two weeks before I had to stop playing for some RL stuff.

Noticed the new motherboard updates.

If deciding between the ASUS P8Z68-V LE and the P8Z77-V LK, would I be crazy not to go for the LK?

LK sounds like it is slightly more futureproof (supports Ivy), but it is also very new and the LE has been around and is known to be good/stable, which is what I really want. Motherboard choice is really giving me a headache.

Hi guys,
I'm currently interested in building a rig,
With the gtx 680 in it,
is it possible for me to build a rig where the system won't bottleneck the vga, with budget around 1000$? A bit higher is considered okay for the budget.

Also, I dont really get the difference in the price of motherboard, if I won't overclock the system, which motherboard and processor will suit me the best, considering that I don't have any knowledge in flashing or overclocking and just want to use the system as it is? Since I see that the motherboard that people use is around 150-200$, whats the difference between those? like PCIE 3.0?

So what I need is, A system with gtx 680 that wont bottleneck, with the budget around 1000$ with ivy bridge preferably, and with no intention to overclock and stuff.Just for gaming and daily use. Thanks for the help guys!

Hi guys,
I'm currently interested in building a rig,
With the gtx 680 in it,
is it possible for me to build a rig where the system won't bottleneck the vga, with budget around 1000$? A bit higher is considered okay for the budget.

$1000 for a tower with GTX 680?

So...
$500 GTX 680
$200 i5-2500k
$125 Z68 mobo
$40 8GB ram
$80 520W Seasonic

That leaves $65 for the HDD, casing, optical drive...

or

$200 i7-3450
$60 Asrock H61 mobo

Leaves ~$130 for the HDD, casing, optical drive... no overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom