• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV DLC conflict with MVC Infinite

gafneo

Banned
SFV seems to be far from complete seeing that Ultra SF4 has twice the roster count. What do you expect the frequency to be like between both games launching packs simultaneously?

Last Gen I didn't follow how Tekken X Street Fighter or MVC had handed DLC so I'm wondering if this is even a legitimate thing to worry about.

Neoxon

MvCI seems to be following SFV's method of DLC in seasons, so there's that.

That said, keep in mind that SFV's base roster was done from scratch, whereas MvCI is borrowing assets from UMvC3 for the veterans, which will likely have an impact on how big the MvCI base roster is (even with the Fox characters supposedly off-limits until 2018).

Street Fighter X Tekken had completed characters on the game disc that they waited until months after release to charge people money for. That and gems was what honestly killed the game.

MvCI seems to be following SFV's method of DLC in seasons, so there's that.

That said, keep in mind that SFV's base roster was done from scratch, whereas MvCI is borrowing assets from UMvC3 for the veterans, which will likely have an impact on how big the MvCI base roster is (even with the Fox characters supposedly off-limits until 2018).

unlike SFV tho, MvCI DLC characters will be pay-only

mebizzle

UMvC3 came out 9 months after the first version of the game containing 12 characters that were originally supposed to be a year's worth of DLC in addition to the original roster; and Jill and Shuma were DLC for both versions. They werent released as DLC because of the earthquake so that's not really going to be indicative of how they do this release.

Seik

Banned
SFV seems to be far from complete seeing that Ultra SF4 has twice the roster count. What do you expect the frequency to be like between both games launching packs simultaneously?

Last Gen I didn't follow how Tekken X Street Fighter or MVC had handed DLC so I'm wondering if this is even a legitimate thing to worry about.

All the DLC characters were on the discs at launch. Capcom was put on blast for this shitty practice and the game bombed thanks to this and their shit gem system.

(Excluding the VITA version, which had everything on the cartridge and offered a code to unlock all the characters on PS3.)

On the broader scope..

This whole Season dlc character thing, is utter shit.
A proper upgrade like Super, Arcade Edition or Ultra was much better.

It also didn't leave the bad taste in your mouth when purchasing the game.
The state of the character designs in SF V dont help either.

Neoxon

UMvC3 came out 9 months after the first version of the game containing 12 characters that were originally supposed to be a year's worth of DLC in addition to the original roster; and Jill and Shuma were DLC for both versions. They werent released as DLC because of the earthquake so that's not really going to be indicative of how they do this release.
Yeah, I recall hearing that the earthquake fucked up Capcom's MvC3 plans at the time (then again, it fucked everyone up over there).

unlike SFV tho, MvCI DLC characters will be pay-only
Yeah. Even though I buy the Character Passes, I'll miss being able to use Fight Money to get stages & Story Costumes.

On the broader scope..

But the problem with those Super/AE/Ultra upgrades was that it split the player-base with each update since gameplay changes were locked behind the paywall.

Obviously if Capcom were to name a free update SSFV & just sell the characters separately, that's another story entirely. But the way they used to do updates doesn't really jell with the Capcom Pro Tour these days.

gafneo

Banned
On the broader scope..

Character designs are some of the best out there imo. Could be a little more cell shaded and the hair looks too plasticity though.

myco666

On the broader scope..

Having to pay for balance patches was so great.

Neoxon

To answer your question, gafneo, I don't really see an issue with continuing to do yearly Character Passes like SFV & now MvCI.

Papacheeks

Banned

Ultra SF4 came out in what 2014? Super was 2010. So 4-5 years of building characters within those separate releases.
SFV has been out for over a year Jesus. Ultra street fighter 4 has 39 characters, SFV currently has 25.

Not bad for only being a year after release and that will grow with the next season.
I get it the game shipped with very little, it got grilled by everyone and reviewed as such. It also hurt it's sales as well, which now they have added a lot to the game and it's going to continue.
And they still haven't re-released a new version yet. You can buy the base game for 19.99 then either play and unlock the characters for buy the seasons. Up to you if it's worth it. This comparison I see all the time get's tiresome and I don't even own the game.

SO no I don't see a problem going forward. If anything Killer instinct and to some extent SFV have proven it's a formula that works. I think it's fair, you can unlock a decent amount of characters by just playing the game, but if you would rather just have them then you can pay for them if you want.

I would wait and see we don't have enough info yet. I hope they don't even try Fight Money people can't handle free shit.

On the broader scope..

UGH god no. Go play Guilty Gear if you want that archaic business practice.

HardRojo

On the broader scope..

I used to think the same for a good while, but now I believe SFV's method is the best way to do it, everyone can keep playing with their original copy of the game.

Chindogg

Street Fighter X Tekken had completed characters on the game disc that they waited until months after release to charge people money for. That and gems was what honestly killed the game.

That was part of it. The other part was that walk speeds were incredibly slow and the stages were massive. Pair that with how good jabs were and you'd get Jab X Time Out.

The game itself after all the patches is actually pretty good. Just really unfortunate that Capcom thought they could get away with selling gems and half the roster that was already on disc.

I would wait and see we don't have enough info yet. I hope they don't even try Fight Money people can't handle free shit.

UGH god no. Go play Guilty Gear if you want that archaic business practice.

It's funny because Rev2 is actually discounted for those who have Revelator. Even they are shifting a bit.

joe2187

Banned
It's funny because Rev2 is actually discounted for those who have Revelator. Even they are shifting a bit.

Which is something capcom did for AE and SSFU even.

I'd rather have the season passes, or like we do, have the ability to purchase in game with in game currency.

I've gotten all the stages, and characters that im personally interested in without paying a single extra dime.

Yet another solid gafneo thread.

First, the two games are being developed by two different teams at Capcom. Second, it's Street Fighter X Tekken, not Tekken X Street Fighter. And third, those other two games were also handled by two different teams at Capcom so no, there won't be any conflict.

gafneo

Banned
Ultra SF4 came out in what 2014? Super was 2010. So 4-5 years of building characters within those separate releases.
SFV has been out for over a year Jesus. Ultra street fighter 4 has 39 characters, SFV currently has 25.

Not bad for only being a year after release and that will grow with the next season.
I get it the game shipped with very little, it got grilled by everyone and reviewed as such. It also hurt it's sales as well, which now they have added a lot to the game and it's going to continue.
And they still haven't re-released a new version yet. You can buy the base game for 19.99 then either play and unlock the characters for buy the seasons. Up to you if it's worth it. This comparison I see all the time get's tiresome and I don't even own the game.

SO no I don't see a problem going forward. If anything Killer instinct and to some extent SFV have proven it's a formula that works. I think it's fair, you can unlock a decent amount of characters by just playing the game, but if you would rather just have them then you can pay for them if you want.
Good points, this pretty much answers my question.

Mesoian

I will assume Disney and Marvel's pressure will cause there to be far more regular DLC events/releases for MvsCi than SF5.

The nature of MvsCi seems to be pretty fast and loose, gameplay balance needing to be tweeked on a far lesser scale than something like SF5, so the adherence to making sure a character isn't subtly busted is less of a priority, meaning you can have releases come out at a faster clip than 4 a year.

I also bet we get 10 times the amount of costumes that mvsc3 had.

This is all hinging on MvsCi selling well though.

fernoca

MvCI seems to already have a more firm release schedule probably because of Disney's involvement. They already said that 6 characters will be released by the end of 2017 (game releases in September, so 2 characters per month) and the first one was already revealed.

mas8705

At the immediate moment, there's no confirmation that MvC:I is going to have Seasons like SFV. All we know is that there will be "Brand New characters" like Sigma and that's it. If we do see more support for MvC:I after those characters get released, then all the more power to them with how that is managed.

As for SFxTK (It is important to say it like Street Fighter x Tekken since saying it the other way around is the other game that has yet to see the light out day outside of Akuma in Tekken 7), we'll know soon enough how that plays out if the DLC is all on disk. If anything, I wouldn't be shocked if Sigma would be on disk already for obvious reasons, but if we see all the DLC characters if someone data mines the game (and there will be plenty of people doing that), then Capcom better be ready for the backlash like before.

Top Bottom