• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount and Blade: Warband |OT|

Qwomo

vehn said:
So anyone playing cRPG at all?
Terrible mod, hate it to bits, but there's still a fair amount of consistently populated cRPG servers out there. So you can still get some mileage out of that mod. If you're a sadist.

Fuuu. I tried my luck at the arena, but I keep getting my ass kicked. So I wandered around town and found the guildmaster. Asked him for a job and he said he had a cattle herd to be delivered to another city, handsome pay, over 300 denars, so I say yes.

Then, as soon as I leave town and give my herd the order to move, they start running in the opposite direction and now I can't find it! Now I have no herd to deliver. Stupid cows.

TheExodu5

Banned
AcridMeat said:
I tried it. I'm having a bit of trouble maybe someone can help me. I got to ~lvl 11 and I now have actual armor and a couple weapons. My problem is on the site I search for items and check the box for "show items I can use" but if I buy something from that list it's still not guaranteed I can use it.

So how do I know what my character stats translate to with items? Items say something like accuracy, difficulty and something else, but character stats that I level up use completely different language. So what skill relates to what?

Difficulty is the strength needed to equip the piece of item, with the exception of bows (which use Power Draw), throwing weapons (which use Power Throw), and shields (which use your Shield skill).

Accuracy on armor is a typo...it should say Leg Armor.

SteelAttack said:
Fuuu. I tried my luck at the arena, but I keep getting my ass kicked. So I wandered around town and found the guildmaster. Asked him for a job and he said he had a cattle herd to be delivered to another city, handsome pay, over 300 denars, so I say yes.

Then, as soon as I leave town and give my herd the order to move, they start running in the opposite direction and now I can't find it! Now I have no herd to deliver. Stupid cows.

When you herd cows, they run away from you. You need to guide them to their destination.

Just grabbed this and started playing. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, so far I've just been roaming around recruiting troops and getting into random skirmishes with bandits, but I'm enjoying it.

Anything else I should be doing early on?

Qwomo

jim-jam bongs said:
Just grabbed this and started playing. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, so far I've just been roaming around recruiting troops and getting into random skirmishes with bandits, but I'm enjoying it.

Download mods!

Medieval Europe is more interesting than Calradia.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
jim-jam bongs said:

I just started playing this weekend so I can't give expert advice, but... yeah, basically. Beat bandits. Level-up your Warband. Figure out who your country is at war with, and start some fights with them, when you're strong enough.

Win a few of those, then talk to your country's king. He should hook you up with a town of your own.

mkenyon

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:

The beauty of the game is you can play any type of game you want. Do anything from playing a hated Bandit who donates to local towns (Robin Hood), carve out your own kingdom, or become a King's famous Warlord. It's all up to you.

First thing I would recommend for anyone getting into it is to download the diplomacy mod ASAP. Really makes the game complete.

Thanks guys, I'll have to give some mods a go when I get home from work tonight. Medieval Europe sounds really cool, and I guess I'd have an advantage figuring out who is at war with who if it's reasonably historically accurate.

It reminds me a lot of HOMM or King's Bounty except with a real-time combat system -- which is surprisingly good so far, and I usually hate mouse-driven swordplay.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Why is this game so amazing online?

It's like having sex ONLINE? WITH HORSES!

I'll let someone else take this one.

edit:

mkenyon said:
The beauty of the game is you can play any type of game you want. Do anything from playing a hated Bandit who donates to local towns (Robin Hood), carve out your own kingdom, or become a King's famous Warlord. It's all up to you.

Would this be too difficult for a first run? Because that sounds really fun.

mkenyon

Banned
Nah, shouldnt be too difficult. If you keep your party small enough, you could avoid all the big war hosts and just raid the smaller guys and caravans. Just keep path finding way up so you fly around the map.

For experienced folks, I recommend the Prophesy of Pendor (PoP) mod. It's probably the deepest and most developed of the bunch, but also remarkably difficult. It is positively packed with content: hidden super weapons, arch villains, heroes, merc companies and the like. PoP makes the vanilla game seem like a haphazard rush job.

Here's something to consider as well: As your party gets bigger, the quality of the loot you get goes down. So if you're tackling a King or some other kind of 'leader', keep in mind that the larger your party is, the less likely you are to get the best loot available. Apparently, the game takes the overall number of your troops, the value of the loot, and distributes it among the entire group.

Aha! I'm becoming better at the arena! Today I beat 15 assholes before falling down to three sons of bitches who ganged up on me. They must have realized I was kicking ass.

At any rate, my improvement has allowed me to scrape some loose denars so I can try and buy a sword to replace the one that was shamelessly stolen from me a couple days ago.

*checks out market, finds out a sword is well over 1000 denars*

Oh shit.

SteelAttack said:
Aha! I'm becoming better at the arena! Today I beat 15 assholes before falling down to three sons of bitches who ganged up on me. They must have realized I was kicking ass.

At any rate, my improvement has allowed me to scrape some loose denars so I can try and buy a sword to replace the one that was shamelessly stolen from me a couple days ago.

*checks out market, finds out a sword is well over 1000 denars*

Oh shit.

HEre's a tip: Enter tournaments. You can ask around at the Arena. They're worth going to, because you're usually on teams so there are less opponents to deal with. If you bet the maximum amount of money each round on yourself to win, you can easily rake in enough cash to open up lucrative businesses in each city. Money will soon cease to be a problem.

IndieJones said:
HEre's a tip: Enter tournaments. You can ask around at the Arena. They're worth going to, because you're usually on teams so there are less opponents to deal with. If you bet the maximum amount of money each round on yourself to win, you can easily rake in enough cash to open up lucrative businesses in each city. Money will soon cease to be a problem.
Thanks, mate. I'm going to try this out tonight. I'm tired of being a fucking hobo in this game. :lol

SteelAttack said:
Thanks, mate. I'm going to try this out tonight. I'm tired of being a fucking hobo in this game. :lol

Tournaments are even more beneficial because sometimes they force you to fight with a weapon you're unfamiliar with, which will just make that stat go up.

So, let's say you've never even touched polearms before. You might feel overwhelmed thrown into a match where you and everyone else has a lance, but a couple of rounds is all it will take to become extremely comfortable with them. Then you can take what you've learned to the battlefield.

Of course, there's the occasional time where you'll have throwing spears and everyone else will have lances, but that's half the fun! And if those tournaments bother you, you'll quickly come to recognize which form of combat is favoured in each land.

In short, I've spent hours and hours just racing around the continent for tournaments, investing the money in new businesses, and having a blast the entire time.

IndieJones said:
Tournaments are even more beneficial because sometimes they force you to fight with a weapon you're unfamiliar with, which will just make that stat go up.

So, let's say you've never even touched polearms before. You might feel overwhelmed thrown into a match where you and everyone else has a lance, but a couple of rounds is all it will take to become extremely comfortable with them. Then you can take what you've learned to the battlefield.

Of course, there's the occasional time where you'll have throwing spears and everyone else will have lances, but that's half the fun! And if those tournaments bother you, you'll quickly come to recognize which form of combat is favoured in each land.

In short, I've spent hours and hours just racing around the continent for tournaments, investing the money in new businesses, and having a blast the entire time.
Tried my first tournament. It went all buttery smooth until the very last match, 1v1. The idiot game gave me a useless lance to fight a horse-riding axe dude. I spent the whole fight rubbing the lance's tip against the horse's buttocks while dealing a whopping "0" damage with each thrust. In time, axe dude got me good and finished the fight. And I lost the money I had bet to myself. It wasn't much though.

I got pissed after that and entered the arena again. I found myself being extremely comfortable with two handed swords, and eventually I kicked everybody's ass. 250 denars that helped me buy a replacement for my sword. Now I'm wondering if I should enter another tourney or keep trying my luck at the arena.

What was that again about investing in businesses?

Also, I found a site that lists the top 5 Warband mods, are those recommended?

5. Diplomacy
4. Blood & Steel
3. prophecy of Phendor
2. Battle Sizer Mod
1. cRPG

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i love this game, have a blast with it whenever i load it up.

i cant seem to understand the modding community around it though. is there anything that makes the game sci-fi or something unique that you wouldnt get from the normal game?

SteelAttack said:
Tried my first tournament. It went all buttery smooth until the very last match, 1v1. The idiot game gave me a useless lance to fight a horse-riding axe dude. I spent the whole fight rubbing the lance's tip against the horse's buttocks while dealing a whopping "0" damage with each thrust. In time, axe dude got me good and finished the fight. And I lost the money I had bet to myself. It wasn't much though.

I got pissed after that and entered the arena again. I found myself being extremely comfortable with two handed swords, and eventually I kicked everybody's ass. 250 denars that helped me buy a replacement for my sword. Now I'm wondering if I should enter another tourney or keep trying my luck at the arena.

What was that again about investing in businesses?

The thing to remember if you have a lance, and are on a horse, is to always try to deal couched damage. The way it works is ride as fast as you can on your horse, without pressing the attack button. Eventually your rider will lower the lance into couched position. At this point, all you basically have to do is just aim straight at the enemy and ram them. You will do incredible damage this way.

If you have a lance and are NOT mounted, for some reason, well, pray. If you can't accelerate to couched-damage speed while mounted or on foot, try to get as much speed as you can and time your release of the mouse button so that you can put a little weight behind it. Also don't forget that more often than not you will have a backup weapon in tournaments that is equipped with the mouse wheel. It will often be a simple dagger but it can make the difference between life and death! Sorry for the obnoxious bolding but it's saved my butt so many times.

Give the tournaments a few more shots, you'll get them. Just for practice's sake, save your game before you enter one; this way, you'll lose nothing besides a few minutes of your time.

Shops

You can open up a shop, with enough gold of course, in all large cities by speaking to the Guild Master. The Guild Master is tricky because he is the town's ONLY major service that you cannot access from a menu! You have to actually physically wander the town to find him. I didn't even know Guild Master's existed for a long time.

GMs are great for giving you the overview of a town's political climate, and also giving you missions. When you approach them about starting a business, they'll give you a number of options. Inquire about each one and they'll tell you what sort of profit you can expect. (Of course supply and demand will make this fluctuate.) Some options are quite expensive but are well worth it in the long run when you have a silk dyeworks in every town and money pouring in. Like soldiers, each business has a weekly upkeep.

Sorry about the super long post, but I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks. The feedback is much appreciated. I'll try to find another tournament because the one in the city I'm currently in is over.

Cipherr

I am terrible. Not so much now though, Ive just been playing online. I didnt realize I could have a melee weapon and a Bow. I was out there fist fighting when an enemy would close to melee range with a freaking mace. But man its much better now. Still dont understand how to even manage the objectives, I just help push the big ass thing to the castle walls and jump over and attack anyone without an icon over their head. Shit is fun.

vocab

SteelAttack said:
Also, I found a site that lists the top 5 Warband mods, are those recommended?

5. Diplomacy
4. Blood & Steel
3. prophecy of Phendor
2. Battle Sizer Mod
1. cRPG

CRPG is the best mod with a big community behind it. Even the top clans in native play it because more people play it. Mount and Musket has organized line battles. You can play the flute, trumpet, bag pipes, the piano, and the drums. Vikingr you can decapitate people, and ride boats.

PWMOD

You can mine, chop wood, gain gold and join factions each having their own castle. You can become lord and declare war on other factions or ally them depending on the situation. The mod features roleplaying and has a lot of cool features including the use of boats, crafting of weapons and much more. You will hate it if you don't feel like doing a bitch work for admins.

You should be on the lookout for Strategus. It's a sub CRPG mod where it emulates the single player experience online.

Sullen

Does the new Fire and Steel game do everything Warband does? or should I buy Warband as well? Been wondering about this lately.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sullen said:
Does the new Fire and Steel game do everything Warband does? or should I buy Warband as well? Been wondering about this lately.

Buy Warband instead. Buy Fire & Sword when you're done with Warband and want more.

thefil

Can somebody give me advice on what I should be doing? I'm four hours into the game, have about 40 soldiers, sitting on 3000 gold. Most bandits just flee me now and aren't worth the trouble. Delivering letters for nobles seems under my pay grade. I'm worried about whether I'll be able to keep up the income to support my army.

I feel like there's a phase two of the game I should be entering now, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

mkenyon

Banned
thefil said:
Can somebody give me advice on what I should be doing? I'm four hours into the game, have about 40 soldiers, sitting on 3000 gold. Most bandits just flee me now and aren't worth the trouble. Delivering letters for nobles seems under my pay grade. I'm worried about whether I'll be able to keep up the income to support my army.

I feel like there's a phase two of the game I should be entering now, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Whatever you want it to be. At that point, if I'm going King/Warlord mode, I'd be running around picking up as many companions as I could find, learning songs from bards, entering tournies, and making goods runs. Buy low/sell high is the best way to make money at this point in the game.

thefil

mkenyon said:
Whatever you want it to be. At that point, if I'm going King/Warlord mode, I'd be running around picking up as many companions as I could find, learning songs from bards, entering tournies, and making goods runs. Buy low/sell high is the best way to make money at this point in the game.

What's the right way to buy low and sell high? I seem to remember having my trade skill used in a town, but damned if I can remember how I did it (I had 0 at the time, 2 now).

mkenyon

Banned
You check local prices, and if you have a high skill, it'll list some places where you can sell it for a tidy profit.

I generally just keep a lot of cargo on me and sell when the prices are high. You just have to ride around and get a feel for the prices. I actually keep my moleskin open next to my computer to keep a list up of items i bought and for how much.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the game running smoother, or is this just broken no matter how strong your computer is? I have a 3ghz quad and a gtx 470 so I should easily max it but just running around a town it gets 60fps but it stutters a lot and even crashed once.

vocab

Ickman3400 said:
Anyone have any tips on how to get the game running smoother, or is this just broken no matter how strong your computer is? I have a 3ghz quad and a gtx 470 so I should easily max it but just running around a town it gets 60fps but it stutters a lot and even crashed once.

I don't run it max. I turn the grass and tree density down, and put hdr on low, and turn environmental shadows off. I only use 2x AA with shadows low as well.

Things are slowly starting to improve. I picked up a few mercs to get me going, and have been training volunteers from the villages to be the bulk of my warband. Now I rock a modest 25 men band and made my first 5k denars.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
how do you establish yourself as your own country? do you just have to take over some random castle while not being a mercenary?

mkenyon said:
Sounds odd man. Running an AMD 970 + 5870 and I never dip below 100fps.

I get a good framerate but by stuttering I mean it like skips a bit while I'm running. Fraps never goes below 59-60 but it still does it. I'll try lowering some settings later though, the game is kinda ugly anyway so I won't mind some lower shadows or AA.

Conceptor

Dabbled in the SP mode for a few hours, but I'm really enjoying the MP. I could easily sink hours and hours into the sp campaign by the looks of it. Had a ton of fun playing on a Native server for a couple of hours with a couple of friends last night. Once we figured out what the other looked like there were some pretty crazy chases and battles going on :lol. I like that cRPG lets you customize your character like the SP mode; makes me want to stick around and play longer.

mkenyon

Banned
davepoobond said:
how do you establish yourself as your own country? do you just have to take over some random castle while not being a mercenary?
Yep.

Varna said:
Been getting back into this game. Any worthwhile single player mods?
Diplomacy is an absolute must. Try Brytenwalda or PoP if want a scenery change. Diplomacy is what makes most of the mods good though, they all include it.

Can anyone give me pointers with couching my lance?

It was so simple in M&B, and now in Warband I'm utterly useless with it. I seem to able to kill everyone's horse, just never the rider.

Reading this thread has inspired me to try out PoP. Now I'm torn between starting that or getting into F&S now the patch is out.

Almighty

SteelAttack said:
Guys, some weird arrows started showing up in the map. Is there a way to turn that off?

The arrows sound like part of the tracking skill. The arrows show you the direction a party headed and if you put the mouse on them the number of people in that party.

I don't know if there is a way to turn that off besides getting rid of the character with the tracking skill.

Almighty said:
The arrows sound like part of the tracking skill. The arrows show you the direction a party headed and if you put the mouse on them the number of people in that party.

I don't know if there is a way to turn that off besides getting rid of the character with the tracking skill.
Thanks!

Grabbed the recommended Diplomacy mod, and yeah it's a big improvement for the base game. It made me look into other mods for the game a bit (though not download any, since I want to continue with my kingdom I've got going at the moment).

I cannot believe that there isn't a finished A Song of Ice and Fire mod. There's one in process that may or may not be dead, but man, it seems so obvious, I was shocked it wasn't there.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Last night I single-handedly sieged and conquered a castle. It was out-of-the-way so no reinforcements ever showed up. My warband of 60 had to perform at a ratio of more than 2:1 to conquer the 120 garrisoned troops.

So, after it's taken over, I requested that I be granted the castle and accompanying fief for myself, obviously.

But no. "King Harlaus has decided to give these lands to King Harlaus."

So, I said "Fuck that shit" and declared myself my own dependent nation, with myself as king as my engineer party member as Steward of the castle. But, I pretty quickly hit a bit of an impasse, because all the other kingdoms, while polite to me, did not recognize my right to rule. And I couldn't actually attack anyone else without declaring war on them, and I was too small to declare war on someone. I also couldn't figure out how to get my own vassals, cruising around the map doing my will.

In the end I declared my allegiance to another country, just so I would have people to fight again.

Top Bottom