• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

Jenga said:
release a free game: get two pages on GAF

announce the game 6 months in advance and for $50: 20+ pages on GAF

Well tbh, there isn't exactly a media blitz on this game. I mean is it even front page on steam?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Son of Godzilla said:
Yea, that's exactly it. :lol What did you glean that I feel entitled to from my laughing at their joke of a release system?

Uhh, you're complaining about it not being released yet when it's not even supposed to be released until about an hour from now?

Mudkips

Banned
I was on the fence about this. I know it's free, but it doesn't seem like I'd actually play it more than a few minutes.

But then I saw this:
The flashlight is equipment that you can choose for your loadout... you have to weigh it tactically against other equipment that you can take instead. In this video only one marine has a flashlight. If multiple marines have flashlights, you will see them all.

GIMME GIMME GIMME.
Seriously, this is the one thing that needs to be added to L4D / L4D2 to make me care about it again. I know it's a big engine change, but not being able to see other players' flashlights has bugged me since day fucking one on L4D.

Mudkips said:
I was on the fence about this. I know it's free, but it doesn't seem like I'd actually play it more than a few minutes.

But then I saw this:

GIMME GIMME GIMME.
Seriously, this is the one thing that needs to be added to L4D / L4D2 to make me care about it again. I know it's a big engine change, but not being able to see other players' flashlights has bugged me since day fucking one on L4D.

I'm gonna sound like a total noob but I never even noticed this until you mentioned it..

DryvBy2 said:
So is this like Space Siege, just with 100% less suckage?

Could be good...could be not so good...but it's by Valve and it's free...so chances are it's pretty good..

Max

I am not Max
Circle of Willis said:
Could be good...could be not so good...but it's by Valve and it's free...so chances are it's pretty good..
Plus word on the street is that the original UT2K4 mod was pretty good, for a mod

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jenga said:

This game literally came out of nowhere. The official Alien Swarm forum didn't even know the game existed until a few days ago.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ben10alienswarmposterth.jpg

SappYoda

Plywood said:
Says the guy who's not viewing 100 post per page. ;)

I had 100 posts per page before but that made the screenshots threads slow as hell to load.

Jenga said:

Nailed it.

Valve should have made an announcement of an announcement.

Nabs

Mudkips said:
So does this have in-game voice chat?
I would assume so, but I can't find any mention of it anywhere.

It's a Source game, so I'm pretty sure it'll have voice chat. Use an external voip if you have to.

Kuran

Banned
I wonder what makes the Source engine so difficult that they cannot just release the Mac versions quicker.. or more optimized.

But I am sure they will improve that in the future. Alien Swarm reminds me of Alien Breed on Amiga.. will definately try it in BootCamp.

Sibylus

Banned
I never played the original UT mod, but I'm excited to play this. I should probably be banned from using fire weaponry (as a safety precaution :v).

syllogism said:
Good news, the timer just went back up to 3 hours
In space, no one can hear you Valvetime.

Ferrio

Banned
Circle of Willis said:
Anyone that's played it here want to give their impressions of the original 2K4 mod?

Extremely fun, hard as nails, tense. You could hardly tell it was a mod it was so well done, a shame it didn't win the 2k4 modding competition... i thought it had it in the bag. Long as the game is still the same from the original, then it should be a blast, and I would of payed a good $30 dollars for it.

Ferrio said:
Extremely fun, hard as nails, tense. You could hardly tell it was a mod it was so well done, a shame it didn't win the 2k4 modding competition... i thought it had it in the bag. Long as the game is still the same from the original, then it should be a blast, and I would of payed a good $30 dollars for it.

Can you go into how the different classes play?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
OmegaDragon said:
Yup. I refreshed the page from 8 PM where it said 1 hour, now (8.30 PM) it says 3 hours :( Valve time strikes again.

On one hand I'm dissapointed, on the other hand I just have to laugh at that.

V_Arnold

Any GAF coop NEWBIE sessions planned for once this finally arrives? I am most definitely up for this, although I have no previous experience with this. A little L4D and a few years of WoW if that helps :p And a little DOTA.

O.DOGG

Circle of Willis said:
Doesn't affect me as I'll still be at work for another 5-6 hours. DO YOUR WORST VALVE....

Yes, same here. Another 6 hours or so before I get home and try this one out.

Tim-E

An hour ago the countdown said "Approximately 2 hours."
It now says "Approximately 3 hours."

It wouldn't be a Valve release without Valve Time. I wouldn't have this company any other way. :lol

I always wonder WHY the time keeps shifting, I never understand the point of getting it ready for release and then delaying it, get it right the first time!

Ah well i'll just wait a little longer but it can be annoying when you plan a time and then it changes.

Diablohead said:
I always wonder WHY the time keeps shifting, I never understand the point of getting it ready for release and then delaying it, get it right the first time!

Ah well i'll just wait a little longer but it can be annoying when you plan a time and then it changes.

They're probably working on it still or something...

Arucardo

I doubt that the difficulty will be the same as it was in the mod. I'd expect Valve to make it as accessible as possible so it'll probably have some difficulty levels/settings.

Ferrio

Banned
Circle of Willis said:
Can you go into how the different classes play?

Been way too long since I've played, so I don't remember much. Different classes with different characters who have varying stats, and I don't remember much about the details of the stats.

-Medic, you heal. Limited amount of heals if I remember right. Believe people could be poisoned too which you need to heal... again may be making shit up
-Engineer (?). You can set up a turret, very helpful for those oh shit situations.

Then there was the guy with a flame thrower or huge chain gun.

Like I said it's been years (6?) since I've played so I don't remember much.

I think what sold me on the game when it originally came out is this elevator sequence. You'd enter the elevator, it started going down... then all of a sudden rock music would start blaring, the game would go into a slow motion effect, and you'd start getting swarmed. It was awesome.

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LquHeJcmIxs#t=06m50s

I wonder if sometimes there isn't even a reason for Valve to delay things. They just delay them because people expect them to. They just want to give everyone a chance to say "Valve Time".

I <3 Memes said:
I wonder if sometimes there isn't even a reason for Valve to delay things. They just delay them because people expect them to. They just want to give everyone a chance to say "Valve Time".

I'd love to be there on a launch day just to see why they do this. :lol

Plasma

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

Yeah I honestly think sometimes they do it just for a laugh.

I <3 Memes said:

They forgot the launch box keys

VC0ms.jpg

Top Bottom