• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

JoeNut
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:34 PM)
JoeNut's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cc23830

im slowing down, my coordination is getting worse and im healing slower .

i would say don't do it
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(08-15-2017, 05:37 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar

Originally Posted by JoeNut

i would say don't do it


I don't jump stairs or grind anymore or even much in the way of ollies. If he wears wristguards and a helmet he'll be fine just cruising around until he gains some skill. Just took around a park at your own pace till you're confidence grows
Bandini
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:38 PM)
Bandini's Avatar
Just make sure you have good insurance. Us old men injure easily
itwasTuesday
He wasn't alone.
(08-15-2017, 05:38 PM)
itwasTuesday's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dynamite Shikoku

No, but It will be extremely embarrassing

You're a big guy.
Stop It
Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
(08-15-2017, 05:41 PM)
Stop It's Avatar

Originally Posted by Don Draper's Hat

Yes. And highly embarrassing.

Originally Posted by Dynamite Shikoku

No, but It will be extremely embarrassing

Oh fuck right off.

Originally Posted by johnsmith

Don't do this. You're old, and it's a lot harder to heal from injuries. And have you been to a skate park recently? Do you really want hang out with 12 year olds? Do you really want to be seen as a guy that hangs out with preteens.

There are other active hobbies outdoor hobbies associated with an older crowd. Start rock climbing or something.

34 is not fucking old, Christ on a bike. I mean BMX is seen as a "young person's" sport and has a 46 year old still kicking ass.

If I learned something today is that ageism is still a thing.


Originally Posted by GodofWine

As a 39 year old....Im gonna say 'don't do it', not because I don't think you could learn it, or have fun, or would look stupid, I just know that how much stuff hurts increases exponentially between age 30, and 40.


When I was 30, I was in perfect condition, thought I'd cruise through my 30's. Now Im 39, and while I appear to be in fine health, and Im in shape still, so many bumps and bruises have turned into nagging pain that doesn't go away ever / or comes back too easily.


A hobby with less potential to 'fall hard' often, would be my suggestion. Gravity will turn its back on you soon.


But if you do, good luck, and shred stuff man.

Or just wear appropriate protection, because fuck getting hurt as a price of looking "hard".

Go for it OP. Get out there and shred, it'll likely do you the world of good.
TommyTosser
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:43 PM)
TommyTosser's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dynamite Shikoku

No, but It will be extremely embarrassing

Fuck this guy. Sure you're going to fall over but it'll be the most fun you'll ever have. The skateboarding community welcomes anyone, you'll meet some of the coolest people too!
Ovid
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:45 PM)
Why are you asking a message board if you can do something?

You're 34, if you want to start a new hobby and get in shape while doing it, JUST DO IT.
Velikost
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:47 PM)
Velikost's Avatar
When did Lil Wayne get a GAF account?




Nah OP, go for it. Wear a helmet tho
Taco_Human
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:47 PM)
Depending where you live, its a good method of travel. I've been wanting a longboard for awhile since they're easier to use than smaller boards. Not yet, but it's on a list. Winter sucks.
dohdough
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:48 PM)
When I started blading again, there were lots of OG woodpushers that were starting up again that were around my age, late 30's. I even saw a dude in his late 40's doing tricks competently.

My only advice is to wear protective gear and have fun.
moltonasty
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:50 PM)
moltonasty's Avatar
Go for it but be careful. I skated a lot when I was a teenager and broke my ankle really badly when I was 16. I'm 30 now and still have problems with that ankle. At your age a serious injury could be pretty devastating, so just take it easy and don't attempt anything too crazy and you should be good.
otapnam
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:51 PM)
otapnam's Avatar
I picked up 2 boards recently (34) and have been casually trying to learn. I snowboard but never got into skateboarding. I put some cruiser wheels on one because i wanted to use it for commuting from Mass transit to work (San Fransisco).

The thing that's tough for me is i ride normal on the snowboard but I'm goofy on the Skateboard.

I'm ok if i never get any real tricks down but if i can get around quick I'll be happy
Feel the Swift
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:52 PM)
Feel the Swift's Avatar

Originally Posted by daviyoung

People think I'm a manchild because I ride a bike.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Sunset Samurai
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:52 PM)
Sunset Samurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lunaniem

Originally Posted by TheLostBigBoss

Originally Posted by nin1000

I'm proud of all of you
creationtheory
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:53 PM)
creationtheory's Avatar
Wear a helmet. I had a friend who died when he was 30. Fell off a skateboard, hit his head, his brain started swelling and he was dead a day later.
muu
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:59 PM)
Neighbor's been hooked on this "one wheel" motorized skateboard. First he was practicing w/ skate board, then he got one and was sharing it w/ his son, now they have two of them.

Be a little careful and have a blast.
KingV
Member
(08-15-2017, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by lamaroo

Go for it dude.

I skated for a good 10-15 years but stopped a few years ago due to age or whatever, but having turned 30 last year I fell in love with it again and have been skating again this year.

I have the experience to fall back on, but skaters are generally very welcoming, especially if you find a group of people in their 20s at your park.

I'd probably nail down the basics before going to your park, ollies are a necessity. It's not easy to learn, but one you get the Ollie, everything else starts to fall into place.

Good luck!

I think there's a big benefit with YouTube now to learn tricks.

Back in the day I remember reading Thrasher and learning to Ollie and took me forever (and I was still never really very good).
M.J. Doja
Banned
(08-15-2017, 06:04 PM)
M.J. Doja's Avatar
Just wear pads and make sure you don't break shit when you fall.

You're definitely not a teenager anymore so you gotta think about the possiblity of injuries.
wienke
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:12 PM)
wienke's Avatar
You're only 34 OP.

I think things like this will seem less weird if you were legitimately able to grow up doing whatever. Video games used to be just for kids but since we all grew up with it, it's not as odd to see a middle aged person playing them. That's because we're kinda living in an era where people are doing all the things they did when they were younger and not really growing out of stuff. If people do "grow out of stuff", it's often because they just didn't have enough time to keep up with it or got out of shape or whatever.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(08-15-2017, 06:14 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar

Originally Posted by EvB

Is there a Microsoft Skate Gang of just you an Chris Charla?

Maybe.
kottila
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:16 PM)
kottila's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cc23830

As the title says. Im 34 and looking for a hobby. I used to rollerblade alot as a teenager but never really tried skateboarding apart from knowing how to do a stationary ollie. As i get older i feel like im slowing down, my coordination is getting worse and im healing slower but i dont want to give up being an idiot just yet.
I dont want to do x games. Just drop in to a half pipe. Couple of grinds on a pavement.
Will i die, or break bones? Has my time passed?


Should add, im going through a bit of a slump. Doc has said its depression or fibromyalgia. Ive put on a bit of weight. The dr said any exercise will help hugely. But the gym is so boring. I never stick it out.

Get a bike instead and join the MAMIL-club (middleaged men in lycra). Much less risk of injuries
RefigeKru
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:17 PM)
RefigeKru's Avatar
There's a 60 year old skater who rolls through Brixton sometimes, loads of older guys there too - some even started in their 30s, 40s.

It's never too late man. Freedom is part of the reason to skate.
zeemumu
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:19 PM)
zeemumu's Avatar
Nah, OP.

You're gettin' older all the time

Gettin' older all the time

Feelin' younger in your mind.
psyfi
Banned
(08-15-2017, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Mihos

I didn't start skiing until my 40s. It isn't too late unless you have a condition.



In your 30s you say you don't care what people think.... in your 40s you will mean it. Who gives a flying shit about embarrassing?

this is so true
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(08-15-2017, 06:22 PM)
darkside31337's Avatar
Tony Hawk is almost 50 so if you're younger than 50 you can still do it. I hate the mentality that you're too old to learn something new.
Mahonay
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:24 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar
I'm 31, and I used to skateboard every single day for 4 to 6 hours. At about 20-21 I stopped because my knees and ankles were in a lot of pain.

I still have a board, and I'll take it out every once in a while, even as someone who was a skilled skater, I still feel out of my depth on a board now.

You would need to start with the very basics with someone who knows what they're doing and can teach you. Make it a daily activity and be prepared for a lot of scrapes, bruises, and sprains. It's doable, but would require some serious dedication.
hillsighed
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:37 PM)
hillsighed's Avatar
34 isn't too old to learn anything. You're in the prime of your life right now. I learned to skate when I was 23, I was also self conscious about it because it is true that most people learn to skate at a young age.

I bought a board went to a nearby park at twilight when no one else was around, then I just practiced skating on their basketball court. The court was smooth with no chance of getting caught on something and falling over, and was big enough to practice my balance. I did this everyday for 2-3 weeks straight. One day I decided I was comfortable enough to skate home from the park and it was a great feeling. After that I'd skate everywhere just for fun. Every night after work I grab my board and just skate around the neighborhood to decompress. Don't be afraid to learn!






Originally Posted by daviyoung

People think I'm a manchild because I ride a bike.

I'm an avid cyclist and that sucks. It really depends on where you live, though. When I was living in Los Angeles, people just assumed you were destitute if you rode your bike everywhere. I heard it all, from constant little comments from co workers like "omg do you need a ride home, why don't you have a car!?" to more blatant "are you saving up to buy a car?" -- Not to mention the constant stares from people in cars while you're waiting at a light, like people can't believe what they are seeing. A guy on a bike! Who knew?

Meanwhile, my bike was worth 5+ of their car payments and I did/do have a car. I don't understand people sometimes.

I live in Portland, Oregon now and I don't deal with that nonsense anymore. A large percentage of the city commutes on their bikes and I never get a second look.
Fonds
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:39 PM)
Fonds's Avatar
Whatever people say about padding, dont wear those.
It'll only make injuries worse and you'll be even less comfortable when learning the basics.
Just so we're clear, that doesn't go for wearing a helmet.
M.J. Doja
Banned
(08-15-2017, 06:45 PM)
M.J. Doja's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fonds

Whatever people say about padding, dont wear those.
It'll only make injuries worse and you'll be even less comfortable when learning the basics.
Just so we're clear, that doesn't go for wearing a helmet.

Well certain skate parks require pads.

What injuries would be worse? The ones that pads wouldn't protect against, like ankles and shins?
RdN
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:48 PM)
RdN's Avatar
My coordinator at work decided to learn to skate. He's 32.

Bought a cool board and all.

First weekend, he fell and broke his collarbone. Now he's on leave for 3 months.
norm9
(08-15-2017, 06:50 PM)
37 and still skating, brah. It's good exercise to just cruise around and get some air. Falling hurts more than when I was a teenager though.
AppleSeason
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:51 PM)
I'm 32 and while I want to learn something much less dangerous (inline skating, but just skating and not doing crazy stuff), I am kinda worried about how much a bad fall can mess me and how long it would take to heal. After some time, you begin to worry about the future.
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(08-15-2017, 06:52 PM)
jiji's Avatar
If you get hurt, you're gonna regret it.
Usobuko
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:53 PM)
Usobuko's Avatar
I also feel like I heal slower and my reflexes get duller these days. I was pretty active in school before I hit 20s.

I always feel like intensive physical activities are out of bound because injuries do take longer to heal.

But there's still so much things I haven't tried or experience enough.
ape2man
Member
(08-15-2017, 06:54 PM)
ape2man's Avatar

Originally Posted by daviyoung

People think I'm a manchild because I ride a bike.

You should live in, Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, sweden what ever. Any one who thinks that is a child.
sasimirobot
Junior Member
(08-15-2017, 06:58 PM)
sasimirobot's Avatar
Sure why not?

FLAT GROUND is your friend

You are not going to be chucking your carcass down 16 stair gaps/rails at that age, nor have the urge, skill, or motivation to.

Flat ground skateboarding is comparable to riding a bicycle, skiing, unicycle, etc...

You probably have a better chance at getting hurt trying to start up basketball, baseball, or any team sport at that age than trying to kick-flip a skateboard.

I say go for it!
Berserking Guts
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:01 PM)
Berserking Guts's Avatar
What if I'm 34 and I just want to sit on a skateboard?
spawnsniper
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:12 PM)
im 28 and i just started skating again..after a looong gap. maybe since i was 21? i say your good to go unless you are afraid to fall. just remember that if you do, shit happens and it is what it is..
RazorbackDB
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:14 PM)
RazorbackDB's Avatar
If Tony Hawk can do a 900 at 48, I bet you can do a 360 after falling 360*34 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvPt_a7iOQ

I don't know really, just don't listen to the people telling you not to do it because it's embarrassing.
autumnleaf
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:18 PM)
autumnleaf's Avatar
34 isn't too old to do anything. People take up new things their whole lives, people in their 80s and 90s learn to swim and play the piano. Age is just an excuse.
mashoutposse
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:25 PM)
mashoutposse's Avatar
When you're 44, you'll regret not trying at 34.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(08-15-2017, 07:28 PM)
I still wish I would have learned how to skateboard.

i imagine you just play this and you automatically gain skating powers tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUCjJphE-0
johancruijff
Banned
(08-15-2017, 07:29 PM)
it would be extremely painful
Mass Effect
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:30 PM)
Mass Effect's Avatar

Originally Posted by daviyoung

People think I'm a manchild because I ride a bike.

what

how? Is it like a BMX bike or something?

I don't see how anyone can think this when people all over the world and of all ages ride bikes.
soundscream
ATTN MEN: visually inspect your condom before disposal
Also GAF's leading millennial
(08-15-2017, 07:31 PM)
soundscream's Avatar
As long as your not trying to learn tricks and shit you'll be fine. We dont bounce back like when we were under 30.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(08-15-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Mass Effect

what

how? Is it like a BMX bike or something?

I don't see how anyone can think this when people all over the world and of all ages ride bikes.

It's mostly a US thing, you'll get comments from people while riding a bike. "Did you drink too much and lost your car?!?!! LOLOLOLOL"
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(08-15-2017, 07:32 PM)
Killer Queen's Avatar
GAF is the place that calls a 30 year old skateboarding embarassing whilst being in the same age bracket on a videogames forum.
CarpeDeezNutz
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:33 PM)
CarpeDeezNutz's Avatar
I sometimes think about buying a board and skating again (I'm 35).
Goofalo
Banned
(08-15-2017, 07:40 PM)
I'm 41 and have cancer, and have had 2 related heart attacks. I'm trying to do as much new stuff as possible.

You should do it.

Before you don't have enough time.
Pizza
Member
(08-15-2017, 07:42 PM)
Pizza's Avatar
Lol nah op, I'm 25 and I'm going to learn this winter/next summer. I want to be able to skate around and dooo something outside. Gonna try to get a couple friends to skate with me.

I've always wanted to learn haha I'd say go for it! You're an adult, do what you want with your time!

Thread Tools