• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ArchedThunder
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:34 PM)

This thread is primarily for the Japanese broadcast and its worldwide simulcast, if you are watching the show with a dub you will run into spoilers for episodes you have not yet seen. If you want to discuss the show as it airs in the US please check out the Toonami OT over in the Off-Topic Community section or check out the dub thread.

• No scans.
  • Discussion of descriptions of upcoming episodes found in Japanese magazines must be in spoiler tags. Anything that has happened in the show or the preview that airs at the end of an episode is fair game for spoiler tag-free discussion.
  • No linking to sites where you can illegally watch the show.
  • Discussion of episodes that have just aired in Japan but have not yet been simulcast must be spoiler tagged.
  • Try to be civil.

Dragon Ball Super is a follow up to Dragon Ball Z, though all of the stories so far have taken place before the final episodes of Z. The primary story arcs of the show are based on outlines written by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama and then expanded and modified by the writing staff at Toei Animation.
The series continues the adventures of Goku and his friends as they meet new and returning characters as well as fight new, powerful foes. The Dragon Ball world has been expanded with new realms of power and the revelation that our heroes reside in one of 12 universes, each with their own people, warriors and gods.
Dragon Ball Super began airing on July 5th, 2015 and continues to air every Sunday morning on Fuji TV at 9:00 AM in Japan.

Dragon Ball Super has completed 4 arcs from Akira Toriyama, 2 of which were adaptations of the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.

Dragon Ball Super is currently in its 5th major arc, The Universe Survival Arc!

At Goku’s request, the Omni-Kings’ “Tournament of Power” martial arts tournament between universes now begins! …But this also proves to be the beginning of universal destruction. What awaits the victors of this tournament, and the vanquished…?! How will these intense team battles between the elites of each universe turn out…?!

Dragon Ball Super producer Shunki Hashizume has also provided a comment on the arc;
Dragon Ball Super enters its new chapter, the “Universe Survival Arc”. As you can see from the main visual, it’ll be a full-throttle story where Goku and the rest of the Universe 7 warriors form a team to take on a tournament between universes! Artificial Human No. 17 and Majin Boo are there too, so personally I can’t contain my excitement at the thought of what kind of fights we’ll see! Look forward to this new chapter that’ll be sure to feature super-intense battles with nonstop appearances by the elites of each universe!
~Translations from Kanzenshuu

If you are able to watch Japanese TV the show airs Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM Japan Time on Fuji TV, but for everyone else we have Simulcasts and dubs.
Depending on your region you should be able to watch episodes officially subbed around an hour after it finishes airing in Japan on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab and Funimation. On these services you are also able to watch all the previously aired episodes subbed!

Various dubs around the world have also either begun airing or will begin soon! Funimation's English dub airs Saturday nights on Adult Swim, but is very far behind the Japanese broadcast.

Dragon Ball Super also has a manga, but unlike with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z the anime is not based on the manga. The manga is created by an artist who goes by the name Toyotaro and is based on the same outlines as the anime, but does many things differently. This version of Super is also quite a ways behind the anime.
The manga can be read totally free, in English on Viz's site.

Q: Is that Android 17 in the poster for the new arc?
A: Yes! After the events of the Cell Games Android 17 was revived with everyone else who died and even settled down, married, became a father and even got a job as a park ranger.

Q: Is that Yamcha is the poster for the new arc?
A: No, it's Gohan, shut up.

Q: Is this an okay place to jump in?
A: This arc pulls heavily from the past two arcs in both concepts and characters, so starting here would likely result in some confusion.

Q: Is this the last arc of Super?
A: While nothing confirms that this isn't the last arc, absolutely nothing says that it is. Dragon Ball is currently making a lot of money for all parties involved and as such is it unlikely to end any time soon. If this was the last arc it would also probably be advertised as such to increase interest in the arc.

Q: If the first two arcs are just retellings of two movies should I watch them or the show?
A: It really comes down to what you want to do, some people even prefer the Super retellings of the arcs. The fastest way to get caught up on the series is to start by watching the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and then pick up Super on episode 28, but the best way to get into the show in a shorter amount of time than watching 27 episodes is to watch the first two episodes of Super, the Battle of Gods film, episode 15 and then either Ajay's Resurrection F Super Cut (a fan recut of the the film that includes a lot of Super footage, but I can't link you to it) or watch episodes 16, 17 and 18 followed by the Resurrection F film and pick up Super at episode 28.

Even though the first 27 episodes are primarily a retelling of the films "Battle of Gods" and "Resurrection F" there is still some good action, so for those who skip the first 27 episodes I have made some GIFs of the best pieces of action from these episodes.
Collection 1
Collection 2
Collection 3
Collection 4
Collection 5

Quote to reveal.

Welcome to the new OT!
LotusHD
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:34 PM)
My genki is ready.
Snaku
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:35 PM)
All hail Freeza-sama!
Piku_Ringo
(10-05-2017, 11:35 PM)
We wished for Shenron for a new thread and he granted it.
DiipuSurotu
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:36 PM)
LotusHD
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by DiipuSurotu

Ha
Hellwarden
(10-05-2017, 11:37 PM)
Goten is trash.

Hit is good.

These are the facts people.
Kagari
Crystal Bearer
(10-05-2017, 11:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Hellwarden

Goten is trash.

Hit is good.

These are the facts people.

Please don't trash Goten.
jabuseika
RocknRola
Wow, this is like the 3rd OT just during this single Arc! :O

Impressed!
Daingurse
Sooon . . .

Moaradin
is it saturday yet
ash_ag
(10-05-2017, 11:40 PM)
Byakugan Goku is probably going to be FighterZ DLC, and best Goku is going to be ignored again. SMH.

TreIII
(10-05-2017, 11:41 PM)
And here we are. Back to "Mind Training" I go to pass the days...
Icyflamez96
this show is for fucking nerds
Martin5000
I'm so hyped for this special! And wow already 9th OT
LotusHD
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Icyflamez96

Slaythe
(10-05-2017, 11:45 PM)
Remember he exists

Thanks for not ignoring him this time around Arc !
Kagari
Crystal Bearer

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Remember he exists

Come back to us, 17.
ArchedThunder
Banned

Remember he exists

Remember when they gave him a two parter before the tournament?
Zero-ELEC
Banned
Great OT title

Y'all need hobbies.
Daingurse

Originally Posted by ash_ag

Byakugan Goku is probably going to be FighterZ DLC, and best Goku is going to be ignored again. SMH.

This is the best Goku IMO:

Kid Goku is cool, but his muscles weren't about to explode.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(10-05-2017, 11:46 PM)
Hello Dragon Ball super gaf 9.0
EverydayBeast
(10-05-2017, 11:46 PM)
LotusHD
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Zero-ELEC

Great OT title

Y'all need hobbies.

Wtf, I never feel like I even post here that much, I blame B-Leg and Caliph for this
Zero-ELEC
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by EverydayBeast

Is that Medusa?
DiipuSurotu
Banned

Remember he exists

Spoiler:

TheRealTalker
Banned
New thread

Old thread....
Fulminator
(10-05-2017, 11:52 PM)

Great OT title

Y'all need hobbies.

This is my hobby
Undead Fantasy
(10-05-2017, 11:53 PM)

Spoiler:

17 died protecting the universe.

I'm kidding Slaythe :P
Slaythe

Spoiler:

No Beerus and Whis either.

Nor Shin. Kibito. King Kai. Elder Kai.

This will be changed :D .

Also, I somehow ended up making it to the top 15 despite deserting the thread a while, o/ .
LotusHD
Banned

Originally Posted by Fulminator

This is my hobby

_Ryo_
So finally started watching this again and I am on the "Future" Trunks Saga, just finished episode 58.

What I don't understand is why didn't Zamasu just use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for humanity to be destroyed as opposed to wishing for a more Goku Black and for immortality? It doesn't make much sense, I don't think. His plans will surely be foiled in the end. Seems a little fool hardy. Or maybe there's something I'm missing and I'm an idiot. Anyway. I'll keep watching.
M.D

Great OT title

Y'all need hobbies.

I guess I don't preach enough Kale

Time to fix this
TheRealTalker
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:54 PM)

No Beerus and Whis either.

Nor Shin. Kibito. King Kai. Elder Kai.

but those guys are other worldly
Zero-ELEC
Banned

Originally Posted by Fulminator

This is my hobby

Other hobbies. :P
Slaythe

Originally Posted by _Ryo_

So finally started watching this again and I am on the "Future" Trunks Saga, just finished episode 58.

What I don't understand is why didn't Zamasu just use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for humanity to be destroyed as opposed to wishing for a more Goku Black and for immortality? It doesn't make much sense, I don't think. His plans will surely be foiled in the end. Seems a little fool hardy. Or maybe there's something I'm missing and I'm an idiot. Anyway. I'll keep watching.

Because there's no fun in that.

He wanted people to pay, not be erased instantly.
caliph95

No need to spoiler tag and he still needs to deal with the God and angels coming after him and he wants to do it himself I guess
ArchedThunder
Banned
(10-05-2017, 11:56 PM)

The dude gets off on murder.
LotusHD
Banned

Originally Posted by TheRealTalker

That's discriminatory

I guess this is how I get that post count, it builds up.
SnowFlakeCake

Spoiler:

Bulma and Chi Chi looking like utter shit, Vegeta and Goku really fucked up big time. No wonder they train far away from home, I'd do the same to get away from hags like that.
Slaythe
(10-05-2017, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by TheRealTalker

Where's Jaco ? Tights ? Dr and Mrs Brief ? The Pilaf gang ?

Originally Posted by SnowFlakeCake

Bulma and Chi Chi looking like utter shit, Vegeta and Goku really fucked up big time. No wonder they train far away from home, I'd do the same to get away from hags like that.

Bulma will 100% wish to be young again if they reach that point. She even mentions it. She has no reason not to do it.
HeroR
(10-05-2017, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by ArchedThunder

The dude gets off on murder.

I think itís more to do that he thinks itís his duty to personally wipe mortals to atone for the godsí mistake.
EverydayBeast
(10-05-2017, 11:58 PM)

Is that Medusa?

SSJ100
Reizo Ryuu
(10-05-2017, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by EverydayBeast

Lmao this is wild
TheRealTalker
Banned

Where's Jaco ? Tights ? Dr and Mrs Brief ? The Pilaf gang ?

Jaco is literally an alien and the others are super side characters

I can't believe you are placing 17 in the same comparison chart of relevance
Fulminator

Originally Posted by Icyflamez96

Originally Posted by LotusHD

never!

Other hobbies. :P

i got some lol
Ashodin