• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Sir_Stoo
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:55 AM)
Sir_Stoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by HagglesworthMD

Relying on GAF's old PC mob to shut people down wonít work now. If you want that rubbish head over to the new shit hole. In the meantime itís up to you, so PLEASE enlighten us wise one..

If wearing an Iron Cross, performing at Nazi dinner, posting xenophobic and misogynist articles on Breitbart doesn't count for being a nazi, then recently Bob Mercer, who owned Brietbart and funded Bannon and Milo, has distanced himself from Milo for far right ties (source: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...f-milo/544877/ )
Although please bear in mind Bob Mercer is also a member of the extreme right, funding Brexit and Trump, and is a delightful guy in his own right:

"Mercer has said that the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the landmark federal statute arising from the civil rights movement of the 1960s, was a major mistake. In 2017, David Magerman, a former Renaissance employee, alleged in a lawsuit that Mercer had said that African Americans were economically better off before the civil rights movement, that white racists no longer existed in the United States, and that the only racists remaining were black racists.[13]"

When you say Milo just has controversial opinions to troll and provoke, you are being incredibly ignorant of how Nazism gained traction in Germany, and you're downplaying what a massive tool he is, in both senses of the word.

Even if none of that were true, and you were only familiar with his Twitter modus operandi, interviews and Brietbart articles, he repeatedly belittles women, orchestrates abuse and de-humanizes the poor. To put it mildly. So what kind of a moron would you have to be to support a guy like that? The kind of sad cunt that imports DOA: Extreme?
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:14 AM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar
But he doesnt actually expose any actual nazi ideals does he.....you are falling into the trap of calling everyone not the alt-left a nazi. The guy is a trolling bigot, I wouldn't be surprised to find out his views are as fake as the outrage he tries to stir.

Eastern Europe has several countries that honor their war dead, dead who fought for Germany against the Soviet communists...does that make Eastern Europe a nazi zone? They wear their iron cross medals also....

Wearing an Iron cross is a ridiculous statement by Milo and designed to stir up controversy which you are proving worked.

Milo's being a gay Jew would have gotten him to the front of the line of people to be killed by actual nazis.

He lives to get a rise out of people and with you and old-gaf he certainly succeeded
Sir_Stoo
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:39 AM)
Sir_Stoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rocket Number 22

But he doesnt actually expose any actual nazi ideals does he.....you are falling into the trap of calling everyone not the alt-left a nazi. The guy is a trolling bigot, I wouldn't be surprised to find out his views are as fake as the outrage he tries to stir.

Eastern Europe has several countries that honor their war dead, dead who fought for Germany against the Soviet communists...does that make Eastern Europe a nazi zone? They wear their iron cross medals also....

Wearing an Iron cross is a ridiculous statement by Milo and designed to stir up controversy which you are proving worked.

Milo's being a gay Jew would have gotten him to the front of the line of people to be killed by actual nazis.

He lives to get a rise out of people and with you and old-gaf he certainly succeeded

Firstly, do you think the Nazis gained power in Germany by campaigning to kill all Jews in concentration camps? You think that was how it worked?

Secondly, anti-semitism is only one part of what the historic Nazi party represented. Totalitarianism and white supremacy are also part of it. And if your evidence that Milo is Jewish is that he said his mother was half-Jewish or whatever, I don't know how true that is, but realise he is using it as a defense in the same way he uses "I love black cock" to deflect when he piles on black actresses, posts racist articles on Brietbart or hangs out with Richard Spencer.
Typhares
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:49 AM)
Typhares's Avatar
Takei blamed Russia for all this in a now deleted tweet.
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:53 AM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar

Originally Posted by Typhares

Takei blamed Russia for all this in a now deleted tweet.

So he is the victim now....give me a break.


So whats Howard Stern going to be, a nazi or a Russian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLtw9Tpg9Pg
Rellik
Member
(11-13-2017, 12:03 PM)
Rellik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

Unfortunately since most Gaffers left for ResetEra there aren't enough people here to educate / shut you down.

You're wrong about Milo, but if you buy into his provocateur-gay-jew-married-a-black-man defense, then I doubt anyone will change your mind. But you're wrong.

Thanks for highlighting why GAF is a much better place without that dog piling mob.
Fuz
Member
(11-13-2017, 12:17 PM)
Fuz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Typhares

Takei blamed Russia for all this in a now deleted tweet.

Rotfl.
Blaming Russia is so hip, nowadays.
Telephone Man
Member
(11-13-2017, 05:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Rocket Number 22

I don't agree with anything the man says, I myself and in the group of people he constantly shit talks.

He just isn't an actual nazi, calling him and Trump actual nazis is insulting to all those who were killed by real nazis.

We are now at the stage where everyone is a nazi, Pewdiepie, Boogie, Milo, Trump....the list goes on. Calling fast talking not thinking idiots and bigots nazis is ridiculous

But what makes Milo a 'bigot' if he's just trolling?

And what would you call someone who believes in Nazi ideals, and contributes to such groups?

You're being as vague as the people you're constantly complaining about. If not moreso.

And Boogie is a bad example. No one called him that, just a "shitty moderate" or whatever.
BANGS
Member
(11-13-2017, 06:24 PM)
BANGS's Avatar

Originally Posted by DorkyMohr

Everyone who thinks Trump is awful is somehow an awful person themselves

Feels weird being on the other side, huh?
Dunki
Member
(11-13-2017, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

Firstly, do you think the Nazis gained power in Germany by campaigning to kill all Jews in concentration camps? You think that was how it worked?

Secondly, anti-semitism is only one part of what the historic Nazi party represented. Totalitarianism and white supremacy are also part of it. And if your evidence that Milo is Jewish is that he said his mother was half-Jewish or whatever, I don't know how true that is, but realise he is using it as a defense in the same way he uses "I love black cock" to deflect when he piles on black actresses, posts racist articles on Brietbart or hangs out with Richard Spencer.

Hitler did never hide that he blames jews for Germany's economical state they were in back then. He never hide the fact that he wants them to be gone. Germany back than needed a scapegoat for their current situation and with a totally disastrous democratic Party state after Weimar. IT was the perfect situation for him.

That was the reason he was voted for for.. He used the "Reichtagsbrand" and some very ugly hole in our Constitutation to become a dictator. If you want similarities its basically what Erdogan did with the prob "Fake Coup d'ťtat"

If we compare this to someone like Milo. Milo goes after ideologies. He does not upset or insults Women in general he attacks feminist which is a small base of women (I think it was under 18% last year) and its popular figures as an example.

But as far as I know he never called for the killing of Muslims or people based on their race, skincolor, gender or sex. Correct me If I am wrong here. And him as a gay Person fearing the radical Islam is quite understandable Even I do not agree with all of it.


Again call him a Bigot, call him an asshole sure. I will agree but the one thing I will never will do is using words like Nazi and throw it around like its free Candy. I firmly believe the Word Nazi has lost so much Power and actual meaning during the last few years because everyone is using it now against people they do not agree with.


Also the Takei and blaming Russia thing has to be fake or? He can not be stat stupid. I mean I saw it a lot on twitter but oh boy...
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-13-2017, 06:44 PM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar

Originally Posted by Telephone Man

But what makes Milo a 'bigot' if he's just trolling?

And what would you call someone who believes in Nazi ideals, and contributes to such groups?

You're being as vague as the people you're constantly complaining about. If not moreso.

And Boogie is a bad example. No one called him that, just a "shitty moderate" or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was just trolling is what I meant.

And regarding the calling him a bigot, you could label him as per each stance he has, anti islam, anti feminist or just a bigot. But an actual factual nazi he just isn't.

Boogie I have seen being labeled everything from alt-right to nazi on here over the last few months.

My issue isnt that nazis don't exist, its that by calling EVERYONE right of center nazi...fuck there were people even bashing centrists here as being scum before they all left.
Mohonky
Junior Member
(11-13-2017, 07:13 PM)
Mohonky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Typhares

Takei blamed Russia for all this in a now deleted tweet.

Unfortunately he already outed himself as gay so he couldnt use the Spacey decoy.

Though really that was infurating that media outlets ran with Spacey being gay as the headline and generally being positive when he was admitting to sexually assaulting minors....
Agent_Carnage
Member
(11-13-2017, 07:39 PM)
Agent_Carnage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Typhares

Takei blamed Russia for all this in a now deleted tweet.

George just admit you fucked up. Blaming it on the Russians is not the right way to go about this. Stop blaming everything on Russians. Did the Russians make you give that guy a Micky?
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:06 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

It is not about Milo it is about the absolute hypocrisy people different ideologies go after people It is like republicans defend Roy Moore. It is about Feminist defend some absolsute horrible person like Linda Sarsour who openly supports child marriage, female genital mutilation and defends Sharia Law while leading the womensmarch and now was voted woman of the year by the glamour magazine,

Internet or social media these days do not go after you because of the crime you commited but rather on which ideology or side you are standing on. And Takei is the same.

Exactly. As I said in the political alignment thread, I am vehemently anti-hypocrite. As I didn't say there but will here, sometimes I feel so very alone in avoiding hypocrisy (or at least doing my damn best and fixing my shit if I fuck up).

Sometimes I wonder if hypocrisy is the defining human condition.
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:09 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bigby_Wolf

The Left is on a modern day witch hunt and they're starting to burn their own at the stake.

You do realize over there on "The Right", from your high horses, that "witch hunt" is a term implying the thing being hunted does not exist, right?

I suppose you must not have a problem with sexual assault?
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:15 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by jellies_two

Given the current political atmosphere and the way the alt-right media have acted by making up things after big events to push their narrative, it wouldnít surprise me to eventually see this was constructed to dilute the Roy Moore mess.

When it comes to people like Louis C.K. (whose pattern was established by multiple people) and Weinstein (whose pattern was established by multiple people) and Roy Moore (whose pattern is established by multiple people) and Weiner (who was investigated by the fbi) etc, it is reasonable to call them what they probably are without waiting for a court proceeding.

But right now Bannon needs a narrative to help his guys out of the ditch and this one is _particularly_ convenient combining as it does a vocal member of ďthe resistanceĒ and a gay man supposedly drugging and assaulting a victim. Frankly I donít trust sleazy friends of bannon/ daily caller / infowars to not set a vocal progressive up as they are proven to be completely ok with:
A) lying about a witness to Roy Moore getting paid ď1000$Ē
B) lying about antifa and the church shooter
C) lying about Muslims involved with steven paddock
D) saying a pedophile is preferable to a liberal Alabama candidate.

They havenít earned ANY trust at all on this, and unless there is some well sourced reporting to add meat to this single accusation it seems dumb to just buy it outright. You may do so if you like but if you arenít actually a raving cernovich type pizzagate conspiracy lover then you are just naive, pending more info.

In other words, waiting until decent journalism does its job instead of using daily caller and twitter, is still the best place to stay sane and closer to reality.

Well said. And not because I "like Takei". I like Louis CK. He makes/made me laugh harder than anyone else in recent years. Doesn't change my opinion of this behavior, if true. Consider not how you feel about the person (partisan hypocrisy) but instead the nature and volume of the evidence, etc.
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:19 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

This is such a bullshit especially when a ton of so called male feminists already have been accused and also ackowledged they are shitty people. Takei is just one of many.

No, YOU are full of bullshit. Jellies listed THREE left-wingers. Louis CK, Weiner, and Weinstein.

But no, he has to accept EVERY left-winger who is accused, or he's being partisan. You are the problem. You're projecting, I bet. You're just mad he mentioned a single right-winger in his list.

SMH
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:26 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki



And you never need to defend social accepted opinions. Free speech means you have to defend the ones you do not agree with.

LOL no free speech means you need to defend ALL of them. And right now, I see a lot of folks like you bending over backwards to defend right-wing speech and not doing a damn thing when liberals are silenced.

And they ARE. Standing Rock for one big example of many.
Dunki
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:36 PM)

Originally Posted by aaronsan

No, YOU are full of bullshit. Jellies listed THREE left-wingers. Louis CK, Weiner, and Weinstein.

But no, he has to accept EVERY left-winger who is accused, or he's being partisan. You are the problem. You're projecting, I bet. You're just mad he mentioned a single right-winger in his list.

SMH

Other names: Joss whedon a while ago.
Sam Kriss of vice
Rupert Myers of GQ

just to name 3 more.

And for the free speech part. There is a difference for me here. Ilegal protesting is not a good way in my opinion. We in Germany for example have rules about protests and yes even Nazis can use these rights to demonstrate while being under police protection IF they follow these rules.

Free speech still is ruled by our laws and not by some people who think selfjustice and violence is the answer.
tree fiddy
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:24 PM)
tree fiddy's Avatar

Originally Posted by quickwhips

This is why Iím glad people like that are gone. You couldnít have a discussion. You just shit on people and try to ban them. I think a real discussion can finally happen on this forum.

Agreed
Metalingus5150
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:33 PM)
Metalingus5150's Avatar
This thread is a shit show.
lifa-cobex
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:42 PM)
lifa-cobex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

Unfortunately since most Gaffers left for ResetEra there aren't enough people here to educate / shut you down.

You're wrong about Milo, but if you buy into his provocateur-gay-jew-married-a-black-man defense, then I doubt anyone will change your mind. But you're wrong.

wtf?

It's a forum.
It's designed for communication.
Not shutting ppl down.
BANGS
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:45 PM)
BANGS's Avatar
Oohhh MY!
DorkyMohr
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:56 PM)
DorkyMohr's Avatar
lol if you think this is improved discussion.
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-13-2017, 11:02 PM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar

Originally Posted by DorkyMohr

lol if you think this is improved discussion.

Feel free to leave
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-13-2017, 11:04 PM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar
I doubt you have even the barest personal hygiene to even make that contemplatable
Sir_Stoo
Member
(11-13-2017, 11:15 PM)
Sir_Stoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

Hitler did never hide that he blames jews...

I never said Milo was literally the same as Hitler so this is all irrelevant.

Do you disagree that Milo's mate, Richard Spencer is a white supermacist / white nationalist / neo-nazi, too?
Dunki
Member
(11-13-2017, 11:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

I never said Milo was literally the same as Hitler so this is all irrelevant.

Do you disagree that Milo's mate, Richard Spencer is a white supermacist / white nationalist / neo-nazi, too?

No I think Spencer is neo-Nazi But I still do not think Milo is one
HagglesworthMD
Junior Member
(11-13-2017, 11:47 PM)

Originally Posted by DorkyMohr

lol if you think this is improved discussion.

People can discuss freely now without being banned, massive improvement IMO regardless wether you agree with them or not.

Only thing that should warrant a ban is personal insults/threats.
DarkArterialGore
Member
(11-14-2017, 12:29 AM)
DarkArterialGore's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

Unfortunately since most Gaffers left for ResetEra there aren't enough people here to educate / shut you down.

You're wrong about Milo, but if you buy into his provocateur-gay-jew-married-a-black-man defense, then I doubt anyone will change your mind. But you're wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
Night Angel
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:32 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by HagglesworthMD

People can discuss freely now without being banned, massive improvement IMO regardless wether you agree with them or not.

Only thing that should warrant a ban is personal insults/threats.

And what has that gotten us? I count 3 threads now that were made so toxic they had to be locked because of the same damn posters. Instead of banning people, they lock threads.

Banning removes serial toxic/shitposters from the pool so conversations can continue. People can disagree, and I'd never suggest people should be banned for having unpopular opinions, but posting straight up racist dog whistling and thread derailing shitposts time and time again needs to be met with more than locking up a thread.

If a mod feels the need to delete posts, maybe something should be done about the poster.
HagglesworthMD
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Night Angel

And what has that gotten us? I count 3 threads now that were made so toxic they had to be locked because of the same damn posters. Instead of banning people, they lock threads.

Banning removes serial toxic/shitposters from the pool so conversations can continue. People can disagree, and I'd never suggest people should be banned for having unpopular opinions, but posting straight up racist dog whistling and thread derailing shitposts time and time again needs to be met with more than locking up a thread.

If a mod feels the need to delete posts, maybe something should be done about the poster.

If a thread goes 'toxic' as you say, just stop reading it. I mean how does it affect your life in any way?

The mods new approach is far better than the old mod team.. The old mod team had their ego's inflated so much they were banning people left and right for the pettiest of disagreements.
Night Angel
Member
(11-14-2017, 03:45 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by HagglesworthMD

If a thread goes 'toxic' as you say, just stop reading it. I mean how does it affect your life in any way?

The mods new approach is far better than the old mod team.. The old mod team had their ego's inflated so much they were banning people left and right for the pettiest of disagreements.

Telling people to stop viewing threads in a discussion forum is probably not the way the site owners and operators want it to go.

Good moderation involves more than locking discussions when a few people can't be civil or intellectually honest in their posting. Controversial opinions don't breed toxicity, but posts made in bad faith or with the intent to derail definitely do.
Johnny Cage In The Shower
Member
(11-14-2017, 04:05 AM)
Johnny Cage In The Shower's Avatar
Why don't we all steer this thread back to topic and try to stay on topic and stay civil, kinda "fresh start"

All I read above was "This thread has gone to shits" I am too afraid to read everything to learn why... But what say you guys? maybe prevent another Thread Lock...

Let's give it a go,

What was the end result of these accusations, did the model dude have evidence? I read Takei totally denied it.
Night Angel
Member
(11-14-2017, 04:10 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar
Takei can deny all he wants, but his past behavior on radio shows contradict his statements. He also (in a now deleted tweet) said the Russians were posting the allegations against him. Yeah, not a good look.

He may have done it, he may not have done it. We'll never know for sure. But his response to this isn't all that convincing.
Johnny Cage In The Shower
Member
(11-14-2017, 04:23 AM)
Johnny Cage In The Shower's Avatar

Originally Posted by Night Angel

Takei can deny all he wants, but his past behavior on radio shows contradict his statements. He also (in a now deleted tweet) said the Russians were posting the allegations against him. Yeah, not a good look.

He may have done it, he may not have done it. We'll never know for sure. But his response to this isn't all that convincing.

Lol at blaming the Russians!

By the 'Radio show' do you mean the Howard Stern interview? Not that I've heard it, nor do I care to hear it, because I really cannot stand Howard Stern... honestly the guy puts words in his guest's mouth and even regurgitates it for them.. Tries to keep up his "Shock Jock" persona of the 90's by throwing rumours and controversial stuff about his guests at them and see if they'll catch it.. Again, I haven't heard that interview but I read about it in an article ... I just can't take Stern seriously enough, to care about what has been said on his show.

Having said all this, Takie has been a famous, Hollywood celebrity before even the internet age. The guy was "in the scene" during the crazy 70's... I mean, it's hard not to assume he's involved in some creepy sexual shit during all these years.
BANGS
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:54 PM)
BANGS's Avatar

Originally Posted by Night Angel

Telling people to stop viewing threads in a discussion forum is probably not the way the site owners and operators want it to go.

Good moderation involves more than locking discussions when a few people can't be civil or intellectually honest in their posting. Controversial opinions don't breed toxicity, but posts made in bad faith or with the intent to derail definitely do.

And who has the power to decide who's being intellectually honest? Believe it or not, there are people out there with radically different views than your own, they're not just faking it. I'm so much happier that these people don't get banned. This place was such a hugbox before it was insane, with people being banned for having a different opinion.

This is a well documented fact that can't be denied. I really hope this turns gaf around and allows for real discussion. Banning people who don't share your opinion may keep the thread going without argument, but it certainly doesn't lead any discussion, only circlejerking...
7echnicolor
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:07 PM)
7echnicolor's Avatar

Originally Posted by BANGS

And who has the power to decide who's being intellectually honest? Believe it or not, there are people out there with radically different views than your own, they're not just faking it. I'm so much happier that these people don't get banned. This place was such a hugbox before it was insane, with people being banned for having a different opinion.

This is a well documented fact that can't be denied. I really hope this turns gaf around and allows for real discussion. Banning people who don't share your opinion may keep the thread going without argument, but it certainly doesn't lead any discussion, only circlejerking...

If you arenít a complete autist, you are able to tell when someone is debating honestly and not posting in bad faith. Itís pretty easy.
aaronsan
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:24 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

Other names: Joss whedon a while ago.
Sam Kriss of vice
Rupert Myers of GQ

just to name 3 more.

And for the free speech part. There is a difference for me here. Ilegal protesting is not a good way in my opinion. We in Germany for example have rules about protests and yes even Nazis can use these rights to demonstrate while being under police protection IF they follow these rules.

Free speech still is ruled by our laws and not by some people who think selfjustice and violence is the answer.

Invoking "illegal protesting" ignores all the obstacles our government (paid for by our corporations) have placed in the way of effective protesting. And don't believe a protest is "illegal" just because the government tells you so.

Back to the topic of hypocrisy, a right-wing trope is that government can't do anything right. But you sure are happy every time it attacks liberals. Apparently that's the counter-example.

These "illegal protests" you're probably thinking of are all against things our government and our corporations are doing that are fucking up your life and this world. That's not even an opinion. You can question the severity, the degree, but not that they will have those results. Try to understand it a bit more. You really think people just love to go out and get blasted by firehoses and arrested? What percentage of humans do you think enjoy that?
aaronsan
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:27 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

No I think Spencer is neo-Nazi But I still do not think Milo is one

Do you agree that being friends with a neo-Nazi is a problem, unless you're friends with him to help him be a better person?

I'm not friends with any neo-Nazis. Because...well, they're horrible human beings.

Are you friends with any?

And before you say "guilt by association", a friend is more than an associate.
BANGS
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:27 PM)
BANGS's Avatar

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

If you arenít a complete autist, you are able to tell when someone is debating honestly and not posting in bad faith. Itís pretty easy.

It's that easy, huh? So like if someone randomly bashes those with a mental handicap, I shouldn't take them seriously? Umm...
aaronsan
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:31 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Johnny Cage In The Shower

Why don't we all steer this thread back to topic and try to stay on topic and stay civil, kinda "fresh start"

All I read above was "This thread has gone to shits" I am too afraid to read everything to learn why... But what say you guys? maybe prevent another Thread Lock...

Let's give it a go,

What was the end result of these accusations, did the model dude have evidence? I read Takei totally denied it.

The end result HERE should be that everyone who said "innocent or proven guilty" or "justice system do its job" or the like in the Roy Moore thread better be fucking saying that here, too.

Spoiler alert: most of them are not.
aaronsan
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:34 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by BANGS

It's that easy, huh? So like if someone randomly bashes those with a mental handicap, I shouldn't take them seriously? Umm...

Using the word "autist" isn't bashing those with autism. I guess I shouldn't take you seriously because you clearly made this post in bad faith. You illustrated the point so well...congrats!
BANGS
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:37 PM)
BANGS's Avatar

Originally Posted by aaronsan

Using the word "autist" isn't bashing those with autism. I guess I shouldn't take you seriously because you clearly made this post in bad faith. You illustrated the point so well...congrats!

I think we both did...
Dunki
Member
(11-14-2017, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by aaronsan

Do you agree that being friends with a neo-Nazi is a problem, unless you're friends with him to help him be a better person?

I'm not friends with any neo-Nazis. Because...well, they're horrible human beings.

Are you friends with any?

And before you say "guilt by association", a friend is more than an associate.

I do not know their personal realtionship and how close they are but yes I can see this as a Problem. However it does not make him a Nazi. As German we had the Nazi topic for 8 grades in school. We also learned to differentiate that not every German not every soldier was a Nazi. And for me the term Nazi has a strong meaning since my Grandfather also died in a concentration Camp. So no I do not call people Nazis because I do not like their opinion. Spencer went all out in some topics even suggesting killing as far as I remember. Milo never did that so I will not accuse him as a Nazi. To me Milo is a trollish asshole and yes you could say bigot who loves it to upset certain ideologies.

But yes I think we should steer this back to topic. If you want to know more about anything how about we open a thread?^^
Night Angel
Member
(11-14-2017, 06:22 PM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by BANGS

And who has the power to decide who's being intellectually honest? Believe it or not, there are people out there with radically different views than your own, they're not just faking it. I'm so much happier that these people don't get banned. This place was such a hugbox before it was insane, with people being banned for having a different opinion.

This is a well documented fact that can't be denied. I really hope this turns gaf around and allows for real discussion. Banning people who don't share your opinion may keep the thread going without argument, but it certainly doesn't lead any discussion, only circlejerking...

Mods have that power because it doesn't take a genius to tell if someone is posting their honest opinion or trolling to derail the conversation. Saying "blacks are more violent because of rap" isn't an honest opinion, it's racist horseshit that deserves a ban. Saying "it's 2017, everyone is a sexist" is intellectually dishonest drivel to dismiss a topic that poster shouldn't have entered if they didn't want to discuss it. Nothing is gained by posting that aside from derailment, and repeat offenses of such should cop a ban. I've seen the same posters repeatedly have low quality posts derail threads only to have mods swoop in, delete their posts, and then lock the thread a few minutes later.

Fuck that. We need more transparency in the moderation of this site, and we desperately need more active and decisive moderation. Posters shouldn't be able to silence discussion on certain topics just by shitposting until the mods lock the threads.

Once again, there's a clear and obvious difference between someone who genuinely wants to discuss a controversial opinion and someone who is trolling. That being said, not every opinion deserves debate. Racist or sexist opinions, for example, should be treated with derision because they generally come from ignorance or intolerance. Not every opinion has merit.
ssolitare
Member
(11-14-2017, 06:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Night Angel

Mods have that power because it doesn't take a genius to tell if someone is posting their honest opinion or trolling to derail the conversation. Saying "blacks are more violent because of rap" isn't an honest opinion, it's racist horseshit that deserves a ban. Saying "it's 2017, everyone is a sexist" is intellectually dishonest drivel to dismiss a topic that poster shouldn't have entered if they didn't want to discuss it. Nothing is gained by posting that aside from derailment, and repeat offenses of such should cop a ban. I've seen the same posters repeatedly have low quality posts derail threads only to have mods swoop in, delete their posts, and then lock the thread a few minutes later.

Fuck that. We need more transparency in the moderation of this site, and we desperately need more active and decisive moderation. Posters shouldn't be able to silence discussion on certain topics just by shitposting until the mods lock the threads.

Once again, there's a clear and obvious difference between someone who genuinely wants to discuss a controversial opinion and someone who is trolling. That being said, not every opinion deserves debate. Racist or sexist opinions, for example, should be treated with derision because they generally come from ignorance or intolerance. Not every opinion has merit.

Great post.
aaronsan
Member
(11-14-2017, 06:56 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

I do not know their personal realtionship and how close they are but yes I can see this as a Problem. However it does not make him a Nazi. As German we had the Nazi topic for 8 grades in school. We also learned to differentiate that not every German not every soldier was a Nazi. And for me the term Nazi has a strong meaning since my Grandfather also died in a concentration Camp. So no I do not call people Nazis because I do not like their opinion. Spencer went all out in some topics even suggesting killing as far as I remember. Milo never did that so I will not accuse him as a Nazi. To me Milo is a trollish asshole and yes you could say bigot who loves it to upset certain ideologies.

But yes I think we should steer this back to topic. If you want to know more about anything how about we open a thread?^^

That response is fair enough, for me at least.

I believe Milo has a high likelihood of being completely full of shit whenever the need arises. I also believe he sympathizes with neo-Nazi sentiments. If we can agree that Spencer can be called a Nazi because he's a "neo-Nazi", which I think is reasonable enough and not pedantic as some people were being earlier (you, I think?), then great. I think Milo MIGHT be a Nazi. But again, who can say, given how full of shit he is?

You ask me what I am and I'll tell you. Or what I think. I don't lie or misrepresent, and I have serious problems figuring out people like Milo and Trump who do, all the time.
Dunki
Member
(11-14-2017, 07:58 PM)

Originally Posted by aaronsan

That response is fair enough, for me at least.

I believe Milo has a high likelihood of being completely full of shit whenever the need arises. I also believe he sympathizes with neo-Nazi sentiments. If we can agree that Spencer can be called a Nazi because he's a "neo-Nazi", which I think is reasonable enough and not pedantic as some people were being earlier (you, I think?), then great. I think Milo MIGHT be a Nazi. But again, who can say, given how full of shit he is?

You ask me what I am and I'll tell you. Or what I think. I don't lie or misrepresent, and I have serious problems figuring out people like Milo and Trump who do, all the time.

If I came over like that I am sorry but I am kind of tired of this calling everyone a Nazi syndrome on the Internet. I am not talking directly to you but certain people/factions on the internet. Also English is not my native language which makes my pots maybe a bit too agressive due to the use of "easy" words instead of more sophisticated ones.

Gald we had a nice discussion though^^
aaronsan
Member
(11-15-2017, 01:45 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

If I came over like that I am sorry but I am kind of tired of this calling everyone a Nazi syndrome on the Internet. I am not talking directly to you but certain people/factions on the internet. Also English is not my native language which makes my pots maybe a bit too agressive due to the use of "easy" words instead of more sophisticated ones.

Gald we had a nice discussion though^^

Cheers ;D

Thread Tools