• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Bigby_Wolf
Banned
(11-13-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

Libertarians are naive as hell lmaooo it’s like babby’s first political leaning

Isn't Communism baby's first political leaning?

"Mom and Dad are kicking me out of the house, so someone's going to have to pay for my amiibos and anime"-type of thing?

The story of how Steve Jobs was disabused of his communist views is one of my all-time favorites.
Mahadev
Member
(11-13-2017, 06:28 PM)
Mahadev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blood Borne

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Even your initial premise (Leftists such as Clinton and Macron are secretly right wing libertarians) is ridiculous. And yes, small/big government IS a left/right issue.

Your entire post is devoid of content, you might as well have written "YOU'RE WRONG!". Clinton and the ex-banker Macron being "leftists" only shows how much corporate media propaganda has shifted what is being called Left in the US to the point the French asshole that is right now passing anti-labor laws and cutting the taxes of the rich is considered a "leftist".
Blood Borne
Junior Member
(11-13-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Bigby_Wolf

Isn't Communism baby's first political leaning?

"Mom and Dad are kicking me out of the house, so someone's going to have to pay for my amiibos and anime"-type of thing?

The story of how Steve Jobs was disabused of his communist views is one of my all-time favorites.

You're correct. Young people mostly lean left and move further to the right when they get older. Especially when they start earning money and/or run a business.
Blood Borne
Junior Member
(11-13-2017, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Mahadev

Your entire post is devoid of content, you might as well have written "YOU'RE WRONG!". Clinton and the ex-banker Macron being "leftists" only shows how much corporate media propaganda has shifted what is being called Left in the US to the point the French asshole that is right now is passing anti-labor laws and cutting the taxes of the rich is considered a "leftist".

Yes, you're wrong. The reason I didn't elaborate is because your post was so ridiculous and clearly showed that you have no idea on how government and economics work. Maybe if this was a verbal conversation, I would have indulged you. But I'm not going to type a long essay on my phone.

Also I'm glad you're still sticking to your guns that Clinton is a right wing libertarian. Hilarious
Mahadev
Member
(11-13-2017, 06:38 PM)
Mahadev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blood Borne

Yes, you're wrong. The reason I didn't elaborate is because your posts was so ridiculous and clearly showed that you have no idea on how government and economics. Maybe if it this was a verbal conversation, I would have indulged you. But I'm not going to type a long essay on my phone.

Also I'm glad you're still stick to your guns that Clinton is a right wing libertarian. Hilarious

Funny how you're the one making these shitty ad-hominem posts completely devoid of content yet my posts are the ones that are ridiculous.

And what I wrote is that Clinton is a neoliberal not a rightwing libertarian, maybe my posts wouldn't look so ridiculous to you if you actually read them.
Bamelin1
Banned
(11-13-2017, 07:34 PM)
Political leanings? Part of the Silent Majority.
shawnbuddy
Member
(11-13-2017, 07:38 PM)
shawnbuddy's Avatar
I'm a Democrat. I'm not ashamed of it. I vote Democrat in every election, straight ticket no matter what. I don't agree with all of their policies and they don't lean as left as me, but I feel that for good or ill right now we've got a two-party system, I've got two choices, and Democrat is the only one that's not insane.

I supported Hillary enthusiastically, because I liked that she was honest and managed expectations and didn't overpromise, which were I suppose qualities that made many people hate her, especially because at the same time Trump and to a lesser extent Bernie were busy blowing smoke up their asses with an industrial strength fan. My criteria on any policy is heavily weighted to whether it seems like it'll actually work. If something sounds too pie-in-the-sky I'm skeptical, even if it would be my preferred outcome. Hillary's policies didn't have the most lofty destinations, but they seemed to have the most concrete road maps.
Sinfamy
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:08 PM)
Sinfamy's Avatar
Anti-neoliberal.
PabloBolivar
Banned
(11-13-2017, 08:20 PM)

Originally Posted by shawnbuddy

I'm a Democrat. I'm not ashamed of it. I vote Democrat in every election, straight ticket no matter what. I don't agree with all of their policies and they don't lean as left as me, but I feel that for good or ill right now we've got a two-party system, I've got two choices, and Democrat is the only one that's not insane.

I supported Hillary enthusiastically, because I liked that she was honest.....

uhhhh... what? I don't even hear the biggest Hillary fans say she is honest. This may be a first.
PJV3
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:28 PM)
PJV3's Avatar
I'd like to see the rest of the US political establishment go under the microscope for as long as Hillary.
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:45 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blood Borne

Right wing is small government. Corporatism is caused by big government. Left is big government and is why Clinton and Macron love big government..

This complete falsehood needs to die. The right-wing right now is proving that they aren't small government. Right-left can be large government (authoritarian) or small government (libertarian).

Just because someone CLAIMS they are for small government doesn't make it so. If you want the government to force doctors to lie to women about their pregnancy, or cops to stop every black guy they see and frisk him down without other probably cause besides skin color, you're for big government.

It's just a question of big government for WHAT. As a liberal, I'm for small government when it pertains to sexual relationships and individual choices over their bodies, etc. But I freely admit to being big government in other areas. I think government should invest research dollars to put the US ahead in emerging energy markets, for example.

I've yet to see a person truly want "small government" in every way. And certainly not "right wing" in general. No way.
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:47 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blood Borne

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Even your initial premise (Leftists such as Clinton and Macron are secretly right wing libertarians) is ridiculous. And yes, small/big government IS a left/right issue.

Oh the irony of you telling HIM he doesn't know what he's talking about. OK, now I know not to bother engaging you further. You'll believe anything from the right wing. Hmm I wonder why.
Joe T.
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:09 PM)
Joe T.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by shawnbuddy

I supported Hillary enthusiastically, because I liked that she was honest and managed expectations and didn't overpromise, which were I suppose qualities that made many people hate her, especially because at the same time Trump and to a lesser extent Bernie were busy blowing smoke up their asses with an industrial strength fan. My criteria on any policy is heavily weighted to whether it seems like it'll actually work. If something sounds too pie-in-the-sky I'm skeptical, even if it would be my preferred outcome. Hillary's policies didn't have the most lofty destinations, but they seemed to have the most concrete road maps.

That's all well and good, but campaign promises practically always get broken. That being the case, it's better to aim high during your campaign and settle for a compromise of some sort when the dust settles. Clinton's lower bar was essentially the middle of the road compromise on some issues, like minimum wage. Bernie genuinely believes that it's time the US moved to universal health care and started working towards addressing wealth inequality, so in his case they aren't pie-in-the-sky ideas. Trump, on the other hand, is a businessman through and through, so he was working with the classic business strategy when negotiating deals or when haggling prices at a market, that is to say he aimed high and would settle for less down the road if it came to that, the Mexican wall being a perfect example.

It's hard to fault the average person for believing Hillary Clinton had the most realistic policies, but the US has fallen so far behind the rest of the world in some key areas that incremental change is losing its appeal. Failing to apply those incremental changes over long enough periods of time means the public will grow more desperate for significant changes, which is what has been happening with the health care issue. That being the case, as a politician you have to aim higher.
Dude Abides
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:38 PM)
Dude Abides's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bamelin1

Political leanings? Part of the Silent Majority.

Sweet alt bro.

Originally Posted by Bigby_Wolf

The story of how Steve Jobs was disabused of his communist views is one of my all-time favorites.

The story of how Steve Jobs died because he tried to cure pancreatic cancer with acupuncture is one of my all time favorites.
Bryan Newman
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:06 PM)
Bryan Newman's Avatar

Originally Posted by shawnbuddy

I supported Hillary enthusiastically, because I liked that she was honest

I did an actual spit take😂😂😂
g11
Member
(11-13-2017, 10:51 PM)
I'd say I'm left-leaning but not far-left or anything like that, but I'll let you be the judge. I'm American so the views here will focus on American-centric issues mostly.


Gun control: Ideally get rid of them, but that's probably decades off, if ever in this country, so for the time being I'd settle for laws that would make it harder to obtain a gun, would require additional screening for assault rifle purchases, and closing loopholes like the gun show/private seller loophole, and bans full stop for people with a history of mental illness.

Abortion: I'm pro-choice but with caveats. In the case of pregnancy where the mother doesn't want to carry the baby to term for any reason other than rape, incest, or determent to the health of the mother, I don't fully agree with the "my body, my choice" argument. Babies don't appear through immaculate conception. If the father is willing and able to raise the child themselves and has no prior history that would suggest child or spousal abuse (that's not to say the mother need stay with him), let the father assume the full financial and responsibility burden if they so choose. In the cases of incest, rape, or where the mother's life is in danger, or where mother and father are in agreement, it's not for the state to involve itself.

Gay marriage: Absolutely in favor of. Shouldn't even be an issue of concern for the state or the average person as it literally has nothing to do with them. Ditto for trans people and that whole bathroom issue.

Trade/Jobs: While I don't believe in protectionism, in the age of pan-global corporations, simple logic tells us that if people in another country will do the same job for 1/10th the pay, corporations will seize on that and export jobs to these places, creating a race to the bottom much like you see recently with the different tax breaks state and local governments in the U.S. will offer to corporations to bring jobs to their area with little or no actual requirements or repercussions if they fail to meet the minimal requirements asked. Thus, something must be done to prevent that from happening, either penalizing corporations that outsource excessively or import tax on their goods that are "assembled" outside of the U.S. I'm fully in favor or closing tax loopholes and cracking down on worldwide tax havens for corporations as well.

Immigration: I'm against the border wall, not on principal but because it would be a huge waste of tax payer money. I'm against the "Muslim ban" as it's ill conceived, at best questionable on a xenophobic or Islamophobic level. That said, I don't think in the history of humanity there has ever been a thriving nation with a completely "borderless" policy on immigration and I think there's a reason for that. That said, my answer would be to tax and penalize the ever loving shit out of companies and corporations that employ illegal immigrants and having a common sense screening on people looking to immigrate legally from other countries, including some level of threat screening/assessment of their background.

Healthcare/Insurance: I believe that health insurance is a privilege and not a right. That said, it's pretty obvious to me that the only reason this is an issue for debate currently is corporate lobbying, specifically insurance and pharmaceutical corporations and it boggles my mind that anybody that's not an insurance executive would be against universal health care as it's proven to have lowered the cost of drugs dramatically in any country I can think of that has UHC and should theoretically lower the cost of insurance for Americans in general. I think birth control should be covered by insurance but I don't think that transgender operations should be covered. IMO that falls under the category of elective surgery and I don't think that's a transphobic thing to say.

Military/Interventionism: I believe in a strong military but not in propping up the military industrial complex or military bases needlessly. Put it into programs that work, don't waste money needlessly, don't throw good money after bad, and don't spend for the sake of spending. Cut the budget when needed. The words "no-bid contract" should not exist in the lexicon of government contracts period, much less defense spending. We don't need bases around the world if we are not an empire. The U.S. armed forces should only intervene in situations that would legitimately cause worldwide instability or chaos. Otherwise, I generally believe in a hands-off approach. The UN should be the world's police force if needed, not the U.S. armed forces.

That's most of the major ones I can think of.
catfish
I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
(11-13-2017, 11:13 PM)
catfish's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sakura

I'm not sure.
I think health care (including dental) should be free. I think education should be free or at least more affordable. I think people struggling financially should get support from the government. But I lean pretty far right on many other things like drugs, immigration, etc.
I typically vote centre right.

So you're an American Democrat? Because the USA has centre right and way the fuck right, by other first world standards.

I was here since start of GAF and I'm euro centre left leaning.

I'm confused by US labelling of people, because the old userbase of GAF was very 'liberal' but really despite being very LGBT friendly GAF seemed socially conservative almost to the point of hysteria. It was just people falling over each other to out tolerate one another, unless trump supporters got a word in, then all bets were off.

please don't take the above as support for trump, I really hate Nazis especially orange ones and I question the intelligence of anyone that still thinks he's doing a good job. I've never seen such an obviously borderline senile old man so publically bumble around for so long without being put in a home.
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-13-2017, 11:54 PM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

Libertarians are naive as hell lmaooo it’s like babby’s first political leaning

I use to laugh at Libertarianism but after doing some research, there really aren't much arguments against it.

I like the idea that if you want to survive in society, you have to contribute a part of it yourself or face the consequences of falling behind.

Where Libertarianism gets criticized is that unlimited freedoms give people the chance to do anything stupid, however, there's nothing to stop other Libertarians from coming up with inventions to protect themselves or others.

When you look at history, most major evil has been committed by governments. In a decentralized state, the worse that could happen is that you'll have small pockets of people living like reckless gangs, vs gated communities or mini nations formed to do business with each other.
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 12:14 AM)
Rayis's Avatar
It's impressive how many right-wingers and centrists are outing themselves after most GAFfers left, y'all got your wish after all.
Martinski43
Member
(11-14-2017, 12:18 AM)
Martinski43's Avatar
Also i hoped even though i am not American that Bernie would've won the primaries. In my eyes the US needs more "social democratic" policies in place so.

Also "predicted" or more like called for that Trump would win if Hillary took the primaries.

But i have also rooted for Ron Paul in '08 i think it was.
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 12:24 AM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

It's impressive how many right-wingers and centrists are outing themselves after most GAFfers left, y'all got your wish after all.

Hearing more political voices is better than being an echo chamber.

It's not as if the statute of democracy says "you're only allowed to vote for one party and the rest are evil".

Especially since you bring up centrists too. Even though I lean lefter, I still would take a centrist President/Prime Minister over a complete Liberal if it meant protecting freedom of speech.

Time to start judging people on their actual merits and capability to lead.
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 12:49 AM)
Rayis's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

Hearing more political voices is better than being an echo chamber.

It's not as if the statute of democracy says "you're only allowed to vote for one party and the rest are evil".

Especially since you bring up centrists too. Even though I lean lefter, I still would take a centrist President/Prime Minister over a complete Liberal if it meant protecting freedom of speech.

Time to start judging people on their actual merits and capability to lead.

I agree with the bolded not with the other.

I definitely would not take a centrist leader over a left-leaning one , even if they were a supposedly better leader.

Whenever I vote for a politician I'm voting for a platform not for a person, in America with our entrenched two-party system, the choice is very binary unfortunately.

I'm very ok with not including overt hate speech under the guise of freedom of speech. it works like a charm in some European countries.
Bamelin1
Banned
(11-14-2017, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by JordanN

Hearing more political voices is better than being an echo chamber.

It's not as if the statute of democracy says "you're only allowed to vote for one party and the rest are evil".

Especially since you bring up centrists too. Even though I lean lefter, I still would take a centrist President/Prime Minister over a complete Liberal if it meant protecting freedom of speech.

Time to start judging people on their actual merits and capability to lead.

I agree. It's refreshing to see diversity of political discourse happening on GAF again without the usual pile ons.
Joe T.
Member
(11-14-2017, 12:53 AM)
Joe T.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

It's impressive how many right-wingers and centrists are outing themselves after most GAFfers left, y'all got your wish after all.

Diversity is a good thing, especially when you take into consideration that there are far fewer attacks against members for expressing their views. It's the foundation for healthy discussion. If you take issue with someone's opinion you're now in a much better position to discuss it without worrying about the thread turning into some crazed frenzy where everyone is out for blood.

More to the point, I don't quite see the "impressive" number of right-wing or centrists outing themselves, though I wish they would because it would further prove the forum has become a more inclusive place. Isn't that what most progressive liberals want?

Catfish brought up a good point in mentioning how so many of those that left were quick to advocate for LGBT+ rights, but otherwise had quite conservative views. There were many center left liberals here that weren't afraid to espouse their views, which goes hand in hand with the overwhelming Hillary Clinton support. Why is it that you're trying to shame centrists, of all things?
Bigby_Wolf
Banned
(11-14-2017, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Dude Abides

Sweet alt bro.



The story of how Steve Jobs died because he tried to cure pancreatic cancer with acupuncture is one of my all time favorites.

A) That's messed up

B). That was the hippie in him rearing it's head one last time.


You know, when he was a kid he didn't think he'd need to shower if he ate the right vegan diet?
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 01:01 AM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

I agree with the bolded not with the other.

I definitely would not take a centrist leader over a left-leaning one , even if they were a supposedly better leader.

Whenever I vote for a politician I'm voting for a platform not for a person, in America with our entrenched two-party system, the choice is very binary unfortunately.

I'm very ok with not including overt hate speech under the guise of freedom of speech. it works like a charm in some European countries.

Well you're free to vote for who you want. That's what democracy is for.

But it becomes dangerous if not hypocritical, to try and portray one political party as the good vs evil.

You know it's the same argument used by die hard right wingers? They don't see any part of liberalism as valid, only conservative values are moral.

It sounds silly but see what happens when you replace right winger with left winger? It's interchangeable, and neither are objective truths.

If you want a government that only runs on explicit truths or education, you would end up with a technocracy of sorts. However, the Soviet Union and even China were based on this model and they still suffered major failures.
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:02 AM)
Rayis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe T.

Diversity is a good thing, especially when you take into consideration that there are far fewer attacks against members for expressing their views. It's the foundation for healthy discussion. If you take issue with someone's opinion you're now in a much better position to discuss it without worrying about the thread turning into some crazed frenzy where everyone is out for blood.

More to the point, I don't quite see the "impressive" number of right-wing or centrists outing themselves, though I wish they would because it would further prove the forum has become a more inclusive place. Isn't that what most progressive liberals want?

Catfish brought up a good point in mentioning how so many of those that left were quick to advocate for LGBT+ rights, but otherwise had quite conservative views. There were many center left liberals here that weren't afraid to espouse their views, which goes hand in hand with the overwhelming Hillary Clinton support. Why is it that you're trying to shame centrists, of all things?

I don't disagree, I just find it funny how for such a hated place among those of a certain political persuasion some of them decided to stick around after the great GAF migration, just a harmless observation.

Also, LGBTQIA support is such a weaksauce liberal view tbh, anyone regardless of political views should support LGBTQIA rights.



Originally Posted by JordanN


But it becomes dangerous if not hypocritical, to try and portray one political party as the good vs evil.

You know it's the same argument used by die hard right wingers? They don't see any part of liberalism as valid, only conservative values are moral.

It sounds silly but see what happens when you replace right winger with left winger? It's interchangeable, and neither are objective truths.

Let's establish something, there's a difference between a right-winger and a reactionary fascist asshole, I have absolutely no problem calling the US president that, and the Republican party as a whole is starting to lean hard into it.

Does that make the Democratic party perfect? Not at all, but they're currently much less faulty than the other party.
ptuck874
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:04 AM)
ptuck874's Avatar

Originally Posted by MickeyPhree

Center but lean both left and right on certain issues.

same here
Darmstadtium
Bandwagoner
(11-14-2017, 01:04 AM)
I know this may be somewhat off-topic, but where did everybody go anyway? I get that the forum was down for a few days, and there was the stuff going on with EvilLore, but I'm surprised that that many people would leave after the forum being down for such a short time.

Was there a different forum that people migrated to or something? Do people just not want to post here anymore because they feel that the pedophilia stuff ruined the forum's reputation or something?
Bigby_Wolf
Banned
(11-14-2017, 01:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Darmstadtium

I know this may be somewhat off-topic, but where did everybody go anyway? I get that the forum was down for a few days, and there was the stuff going on with EvilLore, but I'm surprised that that many people would leave after the forum being down for such a short time.

Was there a different forum that people migrated to or something? Do people just not want to post here anymore because they feel that the pedophilia stuff ruined the forum's reputation or something?

They must have gone to Reddit or something...
Metalingus5150
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:12 AM)
Metalingus5150's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darmstadtium

I know this may be somewhat off-topic, but where did everybody go anyway? I get that the forum was down for a few days, and there was the stuff going on with EvilLore, but I'm surprised that that many people would leave after the forum being down for such a short time.

Was there a different forum that people migrated to or something? Do people just not want to post here anymore because they feel that the pedophilia stuff ruined the forum's reputation or something?

They went to resetera
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 01:15 AM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

Let's establish something, there's a difference between a right-winger and a reactionary fascist asshole, I have absolutely no problem calling the US president that, and the Republican party as a whole is starting to lean hard into it.

Does that make the Democratic party perfect? Not at all, but they're currently much less faulty than the other party.

Trump is a loud mouth and has tyrannical tendencies, but calling him fascist feeds into the exact same narrative I described to you about die hard right wingers.

Just look at the definition

Fascism is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and control of industry and commerce that came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe

From the get go, he was elected legally, instead of seizing power power like Hitler or Mussolini did. His authoritarianism is automatically stopped by congress and supreme courts.

Saying he's literally a Nazi or anything close to that sounds as stupid as people calling Obama a communist.

As for Democrats not being faulty? I think that statement needs to be tested. In Canada, we got liberals but I hear scandals about them all the time. Doesn't mean I start running straight to the conservative party, but acting like any politician is corruption free because of the platform they fall under only works against your own interests.
Joe T.
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:21 AM)
Joe T.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

I don't disagree, I just find it funny how for such a hated place among those of a certain political persuasion some of them decided to stick around after the great GAF migration, just a harmless observation.

Fair enough. It's my hope that the forum stays on its current path and welcomes people of all backgrounds to express their views in a way that encourages thoughtful discussion. The other place that sprang up has taken a hard line in protecting the progressive liberal stance from the top down, essentially making it very uninviting to those on the right side of the aisle (like this place was just a few weeks ago). Even as someone who leans left that's a disappointing approach because they're shielding themselves from those whose minds they should be working to win over, not shaming and ignoring them. As the saying goes, "find common ground" and games make for a great common ground.

Originally Posted by Rayis

Also, LGBTQIA support is such a weaksauce liberal view tbh, anyone regardless of political views should support LGBTQIA rights.

Wording aside, I agree.
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:30 AM)
Rayis's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

Trump is a loud mouth and has tyrannical tendencies, but calling him fascist feeds into the exact same narrative I described to you about die hard right wingers.

Just look at the definition



From the get go, he was elected legally, instead of seizing power power like Hitler or Mussolini did. His authoritarianism is automatically stopped by congress and supreme courts.

Saying he's literally a Nazi or anything close to that sounds as stupid as people calling Obama a communist.

As for Democrats not being faulty? I think that statement needs to be tested. In Canada, we got liberals but I hear scandals about them all the time. Doesn't mean I start running straight to the conservative party, but acting like any politician is corruption free because of the platform they fall under only works against your own interests.

So he's not a fascist because he was elected legally even though he otherwise perfectly fits the description?
What an arbitrary distinction which obfuscates his more unsavory actions.
I think the fact he didn't distance himself from the white supremacists and neonazis that support him says a lot.

Calling Obama a communist is a legitimately stupid thing to say, calling Trump a fascist is not much of a stretch.

Read my post right, I never said the Democrats don't have faults, I said they're nowhere near as faulty as the Republicans because for one, they're not trying to take away health insurance from many Americans in need among many other things.
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 01:33 AM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

So he's not a fascist because he was elected legally even though he otherwise perfectly fits the description?

Well yeah.

Fascism comes to America when either a fascist party is voted in or the current constitution is replaced. Otherwise, it's freaking out about nothing.
Blood Borne
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 01:41 AM)
People clearly don't know the meaning of fascism. It's now become a meaningless buzzword. Trump is far from a fascist. One has to wonder where people get their education from. What the hell is going on in schools these days.

The left doesn't really believe Trump is a fascist because if they truly did, the left wouldn't want to restrict free speech and ban guns. Seriously, do you think Hitler would be for or against the first and second amendment?
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:42 AM)
Rayis's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

Well yeah.

Fascism comes to America when either a fascist party is voted in or the current constitution is replaced. Otherwise, it's freaking out about nothing.

This to me sounds a lot like the people who say nothing is racist unless called an explicit racial slur or deliberately being discriminated against due to race, which isn't really how things work but is a point of contention in current political discourse.

I disagree entirely with that premise.
mario_O
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:46 AM)
mario_O's Avatar
Left socialist and atheist. :)
Bigby_Wolf
Banned
(11-14-2017, 01:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Rayis

This to me sounds a lot like the people who say nothing is racist unless called an explicit racial slur or deliberately being discriminated against due to race, which isn't really how things work but is a point of contention in current political discourse.

I disagree entirely with that premise.

I'm just curious, are you also one of those that believes only white people can be racist?
tiva
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 02:08 AM)
tiva's Avatar
neo-anarcho-facism radical centrist and socially fiscal
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:15 AM)
Rayis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bigby_Wolf

I'm just curious, are you also one of those that believes only white people can be racist?

Of course not and by the way, that is a strawman propagated from those who misunderstand the social justice view on racism and those who I will admit exist on our side who do claim only white people can be racist.

My view is far more nuanced than that.

I basically believe that in any country with a dominant majority, the majority will vote and put systems in place that benefit them the most and will sometimes unintendedly (sometimes intendedly) hurt the minority by virtue of just being stronger in numbers. It just so happens that the most visible majority in America is white people but that doesn't mean white people are evil or inherently racist, just that they're the majority and have more political power.

The same is true of any country with a dominant majority being racial, religious, political etc.

A brief description of my social justice views.
Soapbox Killer
Grand Nagus
(11-14-2017, 02:24 AM)
Soapbox Killer's Avatar
Strong on Military (and NASA)

Strong on Social Services

Weak on Raising Taxes

Strong on Environment

Weak on Obamacare

Strong on Welfare (to a point)

Conservative Supreme Court

Democratic President who served in the Military and is not a lawyer (would have voted for Mitt if given the choice last go round )

I don't know what that makes me but I have never voted party lines and like to think for myself. I do know it will be the most intriguing State of the Union address of my 20 years of watching politics.
Johnny Cage In The Shower
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:49 AM)
Johnny Cage In The Shower's Avatar
Reading the last two pages of this thread, I am feeling a bit positive about the tiny, left over members of these forums. Seems like the people who stayed behind have a better understanding of (US, Canada and European) politics. Which makes me realize (imho) majority of (old) albeit far left, didn't have a solid understanding of how political parties worked in the US and elsewhere.

As for me, I must admit. I don't follow politics on the regular myself, but I do have to question often if our Prime minister is making the right choices for Canada and it's people, or rather makes the "popular" choice, to keep his persona as a young, enthusiastic leader.
Rayis
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:58 AM)
Rayis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Johnny Cage In The Shower

Reading the last two pages of this thread, I am feeling a bit positive about the tiny, left over members of these forums. Seems like the people who stayed behind have a better understanding of (US, Canada and European) politics. Which makes me realize (imho) majority of (old) albeit far left, didn't have a solid understanding of how political parties worked in the US and elsewhere.

As for me, I must admit. I don't follow politics on the regular myself, but I do have to question often if our Prime minister is making the right choices for Canada and it's people, or rather makes the "popular" choice, to keep his persona as a young, enthusiastic leader.

Not Canadian but his policies might benefit some, hurt some, or have no immediate effect for others.
It's the reason why politics are so contentious, what works for some doesn't work for others and can even be disadvantageous to certain people.

That's why compromise is the most reasonable path forward but then again you get into arguments on how much to compromise and what to give up, as you see, not an easy thing.
nephilimdj
Member
(11-14-2017, 04:03 AM)
nephilimdj's Avatar
In australia I have always voted for labor or greens, I am left.
But Im sure people still think im a nazi due to my dislike of USA currupt system, even when we have similar messes in Australia (China and USA funding political groups)
7echnicolor
Member
(11-14-2017, 04:12 AM)
7echnicolor's Avatar

Originally Posted by nephilimdj

In australia I have always voted for labor or greens, I am left.
But Im sure people still think im a nazi due to my dislike of USA currupt system, even when we have similar messes in Australia (China and USA funding political groups)

Talk about a persecution complex lol
Croatoan
Member
(11-14-2017, 05:37 AM)
Croatoan's Avatar
I am a left leaning moderate who despises both parties for the most part.
jimmypython
Member
(11-14-2017, 05:39 AM)
jimmypython's Avatar
Socially progressive
Fiscally central but progressive-leaning
Albino_Samurai
Member
(11-14-2017, 06:13 AM)
Albino_Samurai's Avatar
I don't believe the Judeo Christian base is a healthy foundation for a system like democracy.

Anti-right.

Thread Tools