• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
undwitcherzujni.png

undwitcher27ojv3.png

While all of this sounds amazing and right up my alley, I have to ask: Did they add more new facial models, or am I going to keep seeing that one Nilfgaardian attendant everywhere like I did in Velen? This is pretty much my one outstanding nitpick from the base game.

There do seem to be new faces, but a lot of the old ones too. Honestly not sure.

The screenshots give me Assassin's Creed vibes

It's got a whimsical European vibe for usre.

That first screenshot looks so good!

Are there any new runes and glyphs in this expansion? Like how HoS added Glyphs of Mending, etc?

If there are, I haven't found them.

Can you go to those craggy, pincer-looking rocks in the distance?

Yes. But disappointingly they represent the end area of the map.

CHC

Man it looks incredible.

So it's looking like ~15 hours for the main story of the DLC? Good enough for me, I'm just about the slowest Witcher on the planet so I'm sure this is gonna be like a 60 hour affair in my case.

Lakitu

st5fu
Man, can't wait for this. It's already given me hours of joy and now we get a brand new region to explore. Going to be amazing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Last two before bed because I really like the armour and character texture work in this.

w1m7s3a.png

w2yfsuf.png

Exentryk

If there are, I haven't found them.

Thanks. Another question about the mutation system if you've fully explored it -

1. Do you get a certain bonus if you unlock all the 4 slots and fill them up? Like it might power that mutation to give 20% higher effect or something?
2. Can you slot Yellow abilities in those new slots?

d00d3n

I don't want to spoil story and stuff by reading reviews, but what is the consensus about the size/scope of this DLC?

EatChildren

Thanks. Another question about the mutation system if you've fully explored it -

1. Do you get a certain bonus if you unlock all the 4 slots and fill them up? Like it might power that mutation to give 20% higher effect or something?
2. Can you slot Yellow abilities in those new slots?

No idea. I literally only just unlocked this (was its own little adventure!). CDPR said this stuff was geared to very late game play and replays and I can see why. You don't just need mutagens, you need experience points too. And since I'm sitting at level 41 with one spare experience point, I cant start fucking around with it until I hit another level or respec.

EatChildren

I don't want to spoil story and stuff by reading reviews, but what is the consensus about the size/scope of this DLC?

The map is about half the size of the Velen + Novigrad combo from the main game. It's huge and littered with quests and content.

Is
Regis'
voice acting as good as one of the reviews mentions?

A few minutes with him and he's easily one of my favourite voice actors across the entire Witcher 3 game. You get some serious bro time.

Mifec

The map is about half the size of the Velen + Novigrad combo from the main game. It's huge and littered with quests and content.

A few minutes with him and he's easily one of my favourite voice actors across the entire Witcher 3 game. You get some serious bro time.

Thanks man, remind me to buy you a drink when I'm in Straya this August.

Exentryk

No idea. I literally only just unlocked this (was its own little adventure!). CDPR said this stuff was geared to very late game play and replays and I can see why. You don't just need mutagens, you need experience points too. And since I'm sitting at level 41 with one spare experience point, I cant start fucking around with it until I hit another level or respec.

Thanks. Yeah, I know it needs about 35 skill points to max out. Not really feasible for NG players.

If you need it for review purposes, you might want to use the console command "addskillpoints(x)" to test it out.

sublimit

Banned
Man it looks incredible.

So it's looking like ~15 hours for the main story of the DLC? Good enough for me, I'm just about the slowest Witcher on the planet so I'm sure this is gonna be like a 60 hour affair in my case.

Same here.:p

Usually i like to walk a lot in this game taking in all the atmosphere and exploring as much as possible.

CloudWolf

Maybe I'm not understanding the complete context of VanOrd's comments about fourth wall breaking but I thought the Witcher did take place in "our" universe in the sense that the Conjunction of Spheres likely had humans coming from our Earth. Haven't there been other modern day references in the series as well?

It doesn't take place in our universe, but the series (books and games) have always had a fair amount of real world references.
The plague that hits Vizima in The Witcher 1 was brought to the world by Ciri who came back from Black Death-infected medieval Europe and in the last book Ciri goes to live with King Arthur and his knights.

Keasar

Absolutely lovely.

I raise my glass in honour of CD Project Red, the best plowing AAA-developers there is and I remain hyped as bleeding hell for Cyberpunk 2077.

This week is crazy for someone who loves PC gaming. Total Warhammer, Overwatch and the last The Witcher III expansion. So good.

Jeffrey

What is classified as a lot of 'content' in this dlc? hopefully its not just a lot of blowing up monster nests and finding chests with armor you don't care about.

varkuriru

And to think you get this and Heart of Stone for 25 muhrica monies. Crazy - i dont think CDPR will do something like this in the future. But I hope I am kinda wrong.

SugarDave

That RPS quote is beautiful, it'll be tough to say goodbye to Geralt. I'm not even sure I'd want another Witcher game without him.

I plan to savour every last second of this expansion.

Lunar15

What is classified as a lot of 'content' in this dlc? hopefully its not just a lot of blowing up monster nests and finding chests with armor you don't care about.

Given that Hearts of Stone had a solid 15-20 hours of great story-quest related content, I wouldn't be too worried here.

I mean, the main game wasn't exactly plagued with a dearth of meaningful content, even if there were monster nests and chests.

Grisby

I'm ready for more witcherin'.
That RPS quote is beautiful, it'll be tough to say goodbye to Geralt. I'm not even sure I'd want another Witcher game without him.

I plan to savour every last second of this expansion.
Yeah, it's a good line. The Citadel expansion is still one of my favorite sendoffs to a franchise ever.

Dmax3901

My review's gonna take so long, this fucking thing is huge. Tonight's session involved me exploring Beauclair and basically running errands for what feels like Geralt's (my) extended estate. Shit feels like GTA lol.

Can't fucking wait! The Witcher 3 is one of my top 3 games of all time. Hearts of Stone was fantastic and this looks even better.

Now to beat Uncharted 4 and Doom before May 31st...

CHC

Same here.:p

Usually i like to walk a lot in this game taking in all the atmosphere and exploring as much as possible.

Me 3. Walk pretty much all the time, with a close up camera and the HUD turned off. Bliss really.

haha yup. "Fast travel" for me is sprinting on the horse.... usually I just trot along at the normal pace. Minimap off too. And when I fast travel to Skellige, I get in a boat and sail it to the edge of the map to bring up the fast travel menu.

This is gonna take me a while.

Genio88

Game of the year 2016 on its way, gonna try to overclock my GTX 980 even further so that i'll be able to run this awesomeness even better

SomTervo

Combat systems.

It's not wrong... It's just not great. It's better than the combat system in 8/10 RPGs I can think of, though. For a real-time one, especially.

People just compare it to Souls, which is ridiculous.

Anyway. Looks amazing. I'll be dropping the season pass for both expansions in coming months. I still feel like the base game can give me... Even more than I've already seen at around 100 hours.

Flipyap

"Imagine my surprise, for instance, when I overheard a vineyard laborer singing Simon and Garfunkel"

Oh my god, please don't tell me those hacks put The Sound of Silence in the game because of the meme. Curse you, Betty!

Virdix

It doesn't take place in our universe, but the series (books and games) have always had a fair amount of real world references.
The plague that hits Vizima in The Witcher 1 was brought to the world by Ciri who came back from Black Death-infected medieval Europe and in the last book Ciri goes to live with King Arthur and his knights.
Shiiieeet, thought I was safe having read only the official english translations. My bad.

Plum

All this talk of it having as much content as a full game almost makes me feel guilty for only getting it for £12 on GOG.

Gonna be tough playing through Geralt's last adventure. Though I wouldn't want it any other way, CDPR should end the series whilst they're so far ahead.

Jeffrey

Given that Hearts of Stone had a solid 15-20 hours of great story-quest related content, I wouldn't be too worried here.

I mean, the main game wasn't exactly plagued with a dearth of meaningful content, even if there were monster nests and chests.

True but this is a new map and 'points of interests' is mentioned as a bulletpoint. Was just hoping they were more meaningful this time.

CHC

True but this is a new map and 'points of interests' is mentioned as a bulletpoint. Was just hoping they were more meaningful this time.

The only thing that's been mentioned to that effect is that there will be more synergy between POIs. Meaning, like, if you clear out a bandit camp, there will be less bandits roaming the wilderness... that kind of thing.

Rodin

I don't usually care/complain about scores but this one seems funny. It has as much content as a full game and one of the only two bad things they can say about it is that they want more? And that gets it an 8/10?

It's not a real complain i think, it's just a way to say that the game is so amazing that they wanted more of it.

Anyway 8 on GK is a very high score, they never go beyond 9.

Top Bottom