• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

I have 16 Metroids left to kill so I guess I'm pretty far into the game. I like it for the most part. The level design is expansive and it's fun to explore the map, even though the warp point placement is questionable. It feels like a no-bullshit 2D Metroid in the best way possible.

The controls are not good though. The game demands precision with the fucking circle pad. Not only can I peel off the skin of my thumb after extended play sessions, it just never feels right. Changing into the Morph Ball is awkward, you have to crouch while crouching. Which would be a trivial double tap on a dpad and is an annoying exercise with the circle pad. You can tap the screen instead but that's equally awkward.

Shooting a missile while aiming means that you have to hold both shoulder buttons while aiming with the circle pad and pressing Y. All that just for the simple act of shooting a missile.

I don't think the free aim nonsense is a good enough mechanic to justify all this bullshit honestly. I don't know why Nintendo is on a Dpad hate train lately ( the Switch doesn't even have one ), but I'd really appreciate it if they could stop. It's a really great input method for 2D games, stop fucking with it already.

TheMoon

Oh hey, looky here! This is the folded out back of the M2VC code card:

postera3a69.jpg

I saw a bunch of worse ones, so I'll take what I can get.

Would have been nice to have a direct reference to the original Metroid 2 though.

The title is referencing the Other M TV spot.

It's also a famous quote from the Tempest, so eh, it's pretty classy.

It also is a direct Metroid 2 reference. :)

kyo2004

Yes, new Metroid thread... :)

Amazon just charge my preorder, now it's only 1-2 weeks more until finally can play the game... :(... It's gonna be difficult not be spoiled... XD

BTW... Who originally came with the TUUUUBES comic/meme?...

Toxi

Banned
It also is a direct Metroid 2 reference. :)
Is this phrase used in some Metroid 2 promotional material, or do you just mean the past/prologue in the phrase is referring to Metroid 2?

Either way, kudos and thank you for the thread.

A Metroid OT..... what year is itt:D

For some reason amazon isn't shipping my game till next week and yet I'm getting my best buy amiibos tomorrow :(

13ruce

Banned
If the package delivery time is too late tommorow i will just call in sick on school (saying i got a migraine attack or something lol). Got the Amiibo's also comin.

Otherwise i will play after school.

Can't fucking wait nice OT.

Can't wait, limited edition with the 2 amiibos is coming tomorrow!

Still don't like how the Steelbook ended up cause the sticker is wayyy to small and it just looks odd.

You know what would have been awesome? An original Gameboy case in the original aspect that you can open up where the 3ds Cartridge is in. Would be possible. Too bad that they choosed the 3ds case size for that.

Still a cool idea.

First I will play through the new one and then through the virtual console one from the limited edition. :)

Opa-Pa

Almost shaking from the excitement, I really can't wait. I /think/ I can nab an early copy tonight, but I'm not sure.

Is this phrase used in some Metroid 2 promotional material, or do you just mean the past/prologue in the phrase is referring to Metroid 2?

I was under the impression that it was referencing the (kickass) TV spot too... I guess they show a Metroid II scene in it, so it counts?

If you're still waiting for Samus Returns (like me), you should give Harmony of a Hunter and the even better Harmony of a Hunter 101% Run a listen.

Yes! Been listening to a lot of these along with Metroid Metal these past weeks. I love Metroid Medley and What's Past is Prologue (lol).

Probably getting into this a week late due to slow shipping and a broken Circle Pad, so I guess I'll have to tread carefully. I already think I know too much about the power-ups in the game, and I've hardly looked at anything about it since E3.

Actually, I'm seriously considering just not reattaching the cap of my Circle Pad for now and playing with the stick that is its base. It might punch a hole in my thumb without the padding, but I know from experience with movement-intensive games (3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, SSB4, etc.) that I tend to slip and slide quite a bit on the nub anyway. Wish I could play with the D-pad—this is Metroid and a precision side-scroller—but I do realize that new systems like the free aiming require a full range of analogue directional control.

Can't wait to dive into this, anyway. Prior to E3, I'd been saying repeatedly for years that it was such a conspicuous disgrace not to bring a 2D Metroid to dual-screen systems over 13 years of the DS, 3DS, and Wii U, when it was one of the most promising and natural concepts on the table since the DS was first unveiled.

The morph ball and the virtual console code are two of the main reasons why I bought the limited edition, no joke.
The morph ball looked so good on pictures and so HQ, is it completely out of metal?

TheMoon

the latter, prologue for all the crazy events that followed, also metroid 2 being remade now and potentially laying groundwork for 2D metroid future. also with regard to referencing that scene in The Tempest: it sets up the Metroid Murder Sim perfectly ;D

(and our royal baby probably throws his computer at the wall when reading this which is a bonus)

kunonabi

Ordered from GameStop since bb was out of the special edition so i wont be getting my copy till Monday. At least the amiibos will be here friday and i can try and get a bunch of my backlog done before then.

Pinky

Banned
Won't be able to pick this up for a couple weeks, but I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait to scratch that 2D Metroid itch!

maxcriden

Best Buy hasn't shipped yet. I should never have things with Friday release dates shipped to the office...

FWIW I've had BB orders ship Thurs Eve or Fri AM and arrive Friday. You may want to ask CS if it's still coming tomorrow though. Fingers crossed for you.

I'm just gonna wake up early and head to the store tomorrow morning to buy it. I didn't get a chance to pre-order the NA special edition but no biggie.

Toxi

Banned
If I don't have the amiibo can I still get a 100% ending?
Yes.
the latter, prologue for all the crazy events that followed, also metroid 2 being remade now and potentially laying groundwork for 2D metroid future. also with regard to referencing that scene in The Tempest: it sets up the Metroid Murder Sim perfectly ;D

(and our royal baby probably throws his computer at the wall when reading this which is a bonus)
Heh.

Mr-Joker

Banned
My copy won't arrive till Saturday, meh that's fine as it's likely that I wouldn't have played it on Friday anyway.

Egida

Neo Member
My 3DS is oiled and charged. Ready to save the galaxy and help that corrupt ass federation once again, any minute now!

Genre: Castlevania-clone / Genocide Sim
*Chuckles sensibly*

TheMoon

Yeah, giving the Other M thumbs down (lolz)

Not that I have a good idea...

('Where do babies come from' might've been appropriate I suppose)

I guess that evens it out with your praise for my Xenoblade 3D OT title two years ago :p

Disproportionately hyped for this game. It's hard to believe we haven't had a proper 2D Metroid in a full 15 years.

I never got too far in AM2R but I'm curious how this game will compare when all is said and done.

Metroid Samus Returns OT: Another Metroid 2 Remake

?

This would've been the best idea for the OT title, hands-down. Otherwise solid OT, OP.

Top Bottom