• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is second fastest selling FF game in the UK [Up: Week 2 down 75%]

fbutron

Well I bought it digitally using the 20% discount code (premium version for 68 USD) =D

Hopefully Square can add the 30% digital to those sales

PowderedToast

the excitement around XIII was ridiculous. while only 6 years ago, it was a more innocent time back then and the fanbase seemed a lot less cynical. XII was the only major release that had experienced a truly mixed response, so there wasn't the pattern yet. it also had the sparkle of a new gen debut and some amazing trailers.

anecdotally, I know long-term fans who after XIII had sworn off the series, only to apprehensively buy this one. i think the excitement around this game was there but it was a little more reserved and cautious.

Square2015

After the first week of FFXIII's release SQEN releasing a PR that 1m+ sold week 1 in NA (a record for the series). And now for FF15...nothing.

FF13 was available for like 3 days its 1st week and still sold more.

That is precisely what I said. The implication was that the X1 user base is different than the 360 user base in the types of games they like and what they play. The fact that both of those franchises have regressed in sales is an example of a change in demographics/ preferences. The AAA gaming market is changing.

Given its current user base it is not surprising that X1 is performing poorly when it comes to JRPGS vs the 360.

Ah, got it, I thought you meant the opposite. Yeah, the decline in last gen Xbox-centric IP is definitely a big indicator.

The numbers appear to me like Final Fantasy is on the decline.

I'm gonna make a wild guess that development of FFXV was so expensive that it can't profit that much, if at all.

Bruno MB

The numbers appear to me like Final Fantasy is on the decline.

I'm gonna make a wild guess that development of FFXV was so expensive that it can't profit that much, if at all.

Actually, the sales are very stable on PlayStation, the problem is the collapse on Xbox One.

PlayStation

Final Fantasy XII - 90,000
Final Fantasy XIII ~ 92,000 - 97,000
Final Fantasy XV ~ 91,000 - 107,000

Xbox

Final Fantasy XIII ~ 78,000 - 83,000
Final Fantasy XV ~ 24,000 - 28,000

Kill3r7

Actually, the sales are very stable on PlayStation, the problem is the collapse on Xbox One.

PlayStation

Final Fantasy XII - 90,000
Final Fantasy XIII ~ 92,000 - 97,000
Final Fantasy XV ~ 91,000 - 107,000

Xbox

Final Fantasy XIII ~ 78,000 - 83,000
Final Fantasy XV ~ 24,000 - 28,000

Where have those gamers gone? Some we know migrated to PS4. So that partially explains the uptick on PS4. However, where did the rest go? PC?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We got an update for Week 2:

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Last week's biggest debut, Final Fantasy XV, saw a significant drop in sales this week, as is commonplace for the series. However, the 75 per cent drop suffered is less than the 80 per cent drop seen by 2010's Final Fantasy XIII in its second week
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...hadow-of-the-colossus-but-fails-to-reach-no-1

Slightly better hold than Final Fantasy XIII (75% drop vs 80% drop), though the game was starting from a notably lower total.

MilkBeard

What are the total sales of the original FF XIII release in UK? I'm curious if FF XV will be able to match that through legs at some point.

Oregano

FFXV also has the benefit of releasing during the holidays so slightly better legs might not be special.

It's good that it wasn't a worse drop though, at least!

CzemUdzXAAEZmm0.jpg

Number 6 on the overall EU digital charts, not just UK. Mind you, this counts for just 2 days of sale.

rhandino

Banned
uqZBm6v.gif

At least they still have Asia and USA to pick up the slack and if the patches adresss the problems people are having with the game they could get a TON of money from the Steam/PC port.

Better luck with XVI, tho.

LordKano

Actually including digital it's probably doing almost on par with FF XIII in UK so I don't think it needs saving?

Digital won't add 50k copies to the first week, the amount he needs. Even if we assume he's doing on par with FFXIII (which he's not), having the same legs as FFXIII is not a good thing at all. Plus, XV has the holiday bonus that XIII didn't have, as it released in March.

wvnative

Not sure where the doom and gloom is coming from, didn't Square Enix say XV is the fastest selling game in the series and that's the reason they've expanded their post launch support plan?

And the spinsters will continue with "SEE ITS A FLOP!!!"

Fixed.

Digital won't add 50k copies to the first week, the amount he needs. Even if we assume he's doing on par with FFXIII (which he's not), having the same legs as FFXIII is not a good thing at all. Plus, XV has the holiday bonus that XIII didn't have, as it released in March.

Digital def could considering the industry standard is seen as 30% nowadays. FFXV is evidently showing better legs, though it could be the holiday effect right now.

LordKano

Not sure where the doom and gloom is coming from, didn't Square Enix say XV is the fastest selling game in the series and that's the reason they've expanded their post launch support plan?

It's the fastest selling game because it's the first one that released worldwide. Otherwise, we'll probably know in a few weeks that, if we align the first weeks of FFXIII launches, it probably sold less.

Also, the post launch plan was planned since weeks, let's not fall in the PR trap here.

Fixed.

Digital def could considering the industry standard is seen as 30% nowadays. FFXV is evidently showing better legs, though it could be the holiday effect right now.

"better leg"
"5%"
That's the same around dude. Maybe even closer as there must be imprecisions in the calcul.

Last week's biggest debut, Final Fantasy XV, saw a significant drop in sales this week, as is commonplace for the series. However, the 75 per cent drop suffered is less than the 80 per cent drop seen by 2010's Final Fantasy XIII in its second week

A drop is commonplace for the series but this is better than XIII's. If you want to make the issue that it didn't significantly expand the UK audience then that's a fair point. Saying "outright flop" feels a bit of a push ATM though.

FF XV: 115,000 - 135,000

Let's use 122K as the sales for FF XV + 25% digital then we have: ~155k which is just 25k less than the 180k from first week sales of FF XIII.

Second week:
FF XIII: 180k - 80% = ~36k

FF XV: 122k - 75% = ~31k
31k + 25% digital = ~40k

Totals:

FF XIII: ~216k
FF XV: ~195k

LordKano

Let's use 122K as the sales for FF XV + 25% digital then we have: ~155k which is just 25k less than the 180k from first week sales of FF XIII.

Second week:

31k + 25% digital = ~40k

Totals:

I really doubt it's a 25% ratio tho, I expect far less.

It's the fastest selling game because it's the first one that released worldwide. Otherwise, we'll probably know in a few weeks that, if we align the first weeks of FFXIII launches, it probably sold less.

Also, the post launch plan was planned since weeks, let's not fall in the PR trap here.

"better leg"
"5%"
That's the same around dude. Maybe even closer as there must be imprecisions in the calcul.

It dropped 5% less hence better legs. This isn't hard dude.

rhandino

Banned
Damn, FFXIII really hurt the brand.
1) Final Fantasy XIII sequels
2) Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 being a disaster
3) Square-Enix mismanaging of the brand.
4) WRPG rose in prominence in the home console market.
5) Final Fantasy XV being a confused product.
6) Etc...

It's not a single issue but a combination of a lot of things.

Second week:

31k + 25% digital = ~40k

Totals:

Platform split considering my predictions of the numbers:

FF XIII first and second week:

PS3 - 54% => 116.64k
X360 - 46% => 99.36k

FF XV first and second week:

PS4 - 80% => 156.8k
X1 - 20% => 39.2k

Dargor

6) Etc...

Yeah but that "Lightning must never be forgotten" thingy really takes the cake though...

6) Etc...

This is really irrelevant in this thread since FF XV is doing better than FF XII which didn't suffer from these facts you listed. What you said is more relevant to the media create sales where FF XV is way down.

Philippo

I thinl the legs will be good as long as the support behind future updates is as well.
If they really add cutscenes, zones, playable character, i can see a definitive edition a couple of years later do pretty good.

What I don't get is why below FFXIII is even bad. XV is clearly above XII at least anyway in sales.

XIII sold excellently for an FF game in the UK too so it is not a poor metric to be judging this game by...if anything it is a high bar.

XV sales can only be seen as bad if someone suddenly thinks FF is in its heyday which no-one should even be thinking...cus it really aint. We're not in late 90's to mid 00's anymore.

Zedark

Second week:

31k + 25% digital = ~40k

Totals:

Nice idea, though your use of percentages is not correct. 25% digital means that 75% is physical, and hence digital has the size of a third of physical. In that case:

Week 1 yields 163k
Week 2 yield 41k
FFXV then has 204k after two weeks.

(Your analysis would have been correct for a 20% digital world).

Also, FFXIII is 170k-180k, so it could be a closer race still.

Top Bottom