• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 Play Area 'Substantially Larger' Than The First Game - IGN First

State of Decay was one of the Xbox 360's biggest pleasant surprises (it later got an Xbox One release as well). Thus, the announcement of a sequel at E3 2016 was hardly a surprise, but it was most welcome. Developer Undead Labs has stayed radio silent about the open-world survival RPG ever since (well, mostly). Until now.

Undead Labs CEO Jeff Strain (with an assist from design director Richard Foge) was kind enough to share a few new pieces of concept art and answer some of our questions about the sequel, which will support four-player co-op.

First, Strain confirmed our assumption that State of Decay 2 would be in a new, bigger town than the first game, adding, "I know SoD fans are hungry for details on number and size of maps, regions, kilometers of playable area, etc, but we’re not quite ready for that. For now, suffice it to say that the playable area is substantially larger than State of Decay."

"The millions of State of Decay players have been clear about what they want in State of Decay 2: A bigger, better State of Decay they can play with their friends," he said. "We intend to deliver on all of those."

Speaking of friends, we asked Foge if your friends could suddenly decide to be un-friendly, considering the fact that State of Decay is all about managing your relationships with your fellow survivors.

“The primary goal for multiplayer is that other players bring an interesting new dynamic to the simulation," Foge said. "The heart of State of Decay is consequences, and we need to make sure that other players are more than just an awesome addition to moment-to-moment gameplay; they need to become a part of the story based on the agency they have in your world.

“Your guests cannot just say ‘screw it, I'm taking this to PvP-town!’ and directly attack you or any of your community members, because State of Decay 2 isn't a PvP game. They can't go into your base and tear down all of your facilities. But there are plenty of ways that they can be a hostile force in your world because they can directly affect the simulation in meaningful ways.

Concept art

vtar-web-1480956922190_610w.jpg

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/12/...stantially-larger-than-first-game-a-ign-first

There's a few more images at the link above where they also talk about moving to Unreal 4, I suppose the 'rules of the world' and how you interact in it with friends and NPC's.

I really enjoyed the first game (bought it on XB1 never played it on 360) and although it had its issues I think the core gameplay and how you progressed through the game was pretty brilliant. Really hoping we don't need to wait until E3 to see or read more.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm not so worried about how many bugs we can expect, and how well it runs. The first game felt really low budget. Far from a AAA experience, that's for sure (I know it wasn't supposed to be).

The ONE game I would legitimately consider getting an Xbox One for. Sunk SO much time into the first one, hope this delivers too.

Though I'm not a fan of the multiplayer aspect, I'll keep an open mind.

Karak

I'm not so worried about how many bugs we can expect, and how well it runs. The first game felt really low budget. Far from a AAA experience, that's for sure (I know it wasn't supposed to be).

Rumor is many of the quite months were hard work on tech.

Sydle

Some news, finally! This and Sea of Thieves are my most anticipated titles in terms of co-op experiences. I hope this article is the start of a drip feed for SoD.

Rumor is many of the quite months were hard work on tech.

Hope you're right, they can't come out with a sequel that has the performance issues of the first game. In saying that if this is a Fall 2017 game then I should probably be playing it on the Scorpio, so fingers crossed.....

etta

my hard graphic balls
One thing I love about State of Decay is the towns and setting, some of the areas in TLOU were like that and The Walking Dead. Those particular locations gives the zombie genre a much better atmosphere for me, it feels more authentic. Dead Rising 4's town looks really atmospheric as well.

Despite the jankiness, the 1st game was my favourite zombie game. Really looking forward to this and would recommend it to those disappointed with the direction of the Dead Rising franchise.

KageMaru

Sounds like this is shaping up to be an awesome sequel. The first game is still one of the best zombie games IMO.

Wasn't this originally rumored to be an MMO-type world? Thought the original class3 and class4 rumors were the original featuring online co-op and class4 having a MMO-like world. Wonder if we'll see that with SoD 3.

Karak

One thing I love about State of Decay is the towns and setting, some of the areas in TLOU were like that and The Walking Dead. Those particular locations gives the zombie genre a much better atmosphere for me, it feels more authentic. Dead Rising 4's town looks really atmospheric as well.

Dude the first time I realized the game changes dramatically over 20 hours into it I was blown away. I bet a massive number of folks haven't called in for radio help, moved homes many times, or had those later game adventures

etta

my hard graphic balls
Dude the first time I realized the game changes dramatically over 20 hours into it I was blown away. I bet a massive number of folks haven't called in for radio help, moved homes many times, or had those later game adventures
I haven't actually gotten to it :/
I mean I played it but probably not more than an hour all together, I wanted to wait for the remaster release and then never really got around to that. Then the sequel was announced and I said I'll just wait for that. But I have seen plenty of footage, and I absolutely love the locations choice, those central US towns just fit the zombie genre so well.

KageMaru

I mean I played it but probably not more than an hour all together, I wanted to wait for the remaster release and then never really got around to that. Then the sequel was announced and I said I'll just wait for that. But I have seen plenty of footage, and I absolutely love the locations choice, those central US towns just fit the zombie genre so well.

You're missing out by not playing it, even with the jank. =p

etta

my hard graphic balls
You're missing out by not playing it, even with the jank. =p
I know, I'm missing out on a lot of great games (*cough Doom *cough), just not enough time to play all the good games. I feel like there is much less shovelware this gen, more good games at once, and I'm probably right given how games are selling less and less these days.
I figure I'll play State of Decay 2, and if I crave more afterwards I will play the first.

Wedzi

Banned
Unreal Engine 4 now also. Wich is great.

That fact alone puts this game on my radar lol. First game was good but it just felt super clunky to me. I don't know if switching engines will fix any of that but it's a start I suppose.

All I want to know is if Jasper Kyd is doing the OST again or not.

Spill the beans Undead Labs!! I know some of you post on Gaf. :p

TheBear

Oh man I've been thinking about this game a lot lately. It's really the only game I think that captures survival in a zombie outbreak, more so with managing communities and resources. It's so damn good. I have high hopes for the sequel, although getting boned by assholes online doesn't sound like something I want

Oh man I've been thinking about this game a lot lately. It's really the only game I think that captures survival in a zombie outbreak, more so with managing communities and resources. It's so damn good. I have high hopes for the sequel, although getting boned by assholes online doesn't sound like something I want

Looking For Group is our saviour. Its already made Horde in Gears 4 a more enjoyable experience for me and games like this one and Sea of Thieves and Crackdown will reap the rewards with that extra time in the oven.

Jrs3000

I stil need to finish the dlc story but this is the best zombie game I've ever played bar none. Only game to make me feel like like was playing out the walking dead in a zombie dystopia.

Karak

Ah gotcha.

Djostikk

Hell, I spent so much time playing first State of Decay. It even helped me to get better when I was sick really badly. Can't wait for this!

TheBear

I have the PC version. I never played breakdown, would it be worth getting the year one version if I want to play it? Is it a big improvement?

My most anticipated game of 2017. State of Decay is the best zombie game of all time.
Totally agree.

I have the PC version. I never played breakdown, would it be worth getting the year one version if I want to play it? Is it a big improvement?
I think so, but only if you really enjoy the gameplay loop enough as it's very simply more of the same, no scripted story, and it becomes a lot more difficult as you move up in levels when you start over in a new spot. You have to be okay with losing characters as well as leaving most behind for every new level. Not sure if they updated it much past release when it had worse performance for some people than the vanilla version, though.

Top Bottom