• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: I Hope ‘The Last of Us Part II’ is Super Gay (Spoilers)

DedValve

Banned
InviusX, the only poster who doesn't care about if a character is gay or straight so much that they have to tell everyone about it, and then compare themselves to Native Americans.

Sadly not the only poster in this thread...except for maybe that last bit. What the...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I get what you're saying, I do but it's times like this where they should do exactly what they want despite whatever homophobic reception they get.
The game still has a large fanbase and if they keep trying to appease the close minded fools who think the 'gay' is out to get them, we'll keep ending up with subtle, stagnant stories that come to a stand still because the creators can't tell the story to it's full potential like they desire.

Gamers talk about a creators free-will to create the stories and worlds they want, it's really no different in this scenario imo.

Agreed and there's only be a handful of developers out there who could potentially change the industry's perceptions around this topic and I'd wager Naughty Dog is one of them.

It would just be unfortunate for a potentially great game and great story to be overshadowed by a "controversy" that shouldn't exist in the 21st century.

Neogaf, the only forum where saying that you dont care if a character is gay or straight gets you labelled as a homophobe.

Reddit, where you can get away playing up a victim complex after you literally put regular people and gay people in two separate categories.

Jesus, you could have at least tried to elaborate on how the article even suggested "fuck straight people" to prove you weren't being homophobic as opposed to crying at being called a homophobe.

Fat4all

Banned
lotta crossover between the genocide of ur people and the death of ur culture as u know it and being called a fucking moron on a message board imo.

how dare you, sir

being called out on bullshit online is the worst thing to happen to humanity since the plague

god have mercy on the posts

psyfi

Banned
I say this as a straight white male who considers Moonlight to be the most emotionally-resonant film I've seen all year.
Seriously. I'm a straight dude and I cried at least five times. One of the best films on masculinity ever.

/off-topic

Man, I'm sick of straight people's discomfort with queer people being masqueraded (especially to themselves) as progressive concern. Two things I want to say about this:

1. As a gay person, I'm really annoyed by the sentiment that gay characters' sexuality should just be a "sublte" trait that "doesn't define them." My sexuality absolutely friggin defines me. I think about the fact that I'm gay literally every single day. It defines who I love, the TV shows and comics I find myself drawn to, how I relate to society, what my politics are, how I view myself- my insecurities and my pride. It defines how people treat me. And It defines the community I find myself in, who my friends are and what my dating pool is- and our communities absolutely come to define us as people.

And this idea that our sexuality shouldn't define us is also a bullshit double-standard, because straight characters are allowed to have their sexuality define them all the time and nobody complains about it. straight people in the real world too. Straight people talk about their sexuality *all the time* and yet nobody complains that they are "letting" it define them. The only reason straight people don't realize how much your sexuality defines you is because you're all surrounded by people just like you. And when I see people say that gay characters like Ellie can't be too in-your-face, that her sexuality should be "sublte" like some kind of footnote in the textbook of her life, all I see is heterosexuals being uncomfortable.

2. Gay people are a community and subculture, and we have shared practices that we use to express our identites- the way we dress for example. Yes, it's true that clothing is inherently neutral and anybody can wear what they want- but it seems that whenever gay people find a way to express themselves in a way that becomes a shared marker of queerness between us, y'all are complaining about "stereotypes." We can't let certain hairstyles, ways of dressing, etc. becomes markers of queerness, you say, lest we perpetuate stereotypes. But these "stereotypes" aren't just made up stuff, these are real queer people who are adopting styles of presentation to celebrate ourselves. I spend so much time in lesbian circles and so many girls proudly wear flannel as a way to express their sexuality, talking about how gay their fashion is. And yeah, of course plenty of queer women don't wear flannel and dress in ways you moght consider "straight." And no matter how you dress doesn't literally define your sexuality and you should dress however you like. But the fact is that for a sizable portion of the LGBT population, certain things become something we positively mark as being "gay" and for a lot of gay people that becomes a really important part of expressing themselves and loving themselves. And when we talk about these things we love that have become part of our shared gay culture, you get concerned straight people coming in warning us "But clothing and hobbies and music and hair don't have a sexuality!! Stop perpetuating stereotypes!" And you might be well-intentioned in that, but I can't help but feel this is another example of straight people being uncomfortable with us and expressing that discomfort in progressive language.
You better say it!

There are a million ways they could present the relationship. If Ellie is out for revenge because her partner was killed early on (we're still assuming that's the case), you could just as easily spend multiple moments in the game flashing back to "happier days' of the two of them together as she dwells on what she's lost. And that includes the moment the two of them first met. Or she meets someone else along the way, or whatever.

ND are the writers here, and I have faith that however they choose to engage that element of Ellie, it'll be done well.

Absolutely, no matter what it'll be done well because Naughty Dog's Naughty Dog.

My point is: how am I supposed to respect and understand Ellie's relationship if I don't care for the people behind it.

It's like the Fallout 4 scenario. If we start the game with the relationship (or worse, what you mentioned, with the gf being dead from the start) it can run the risk of being 2 dimensional. Which I never want to associate Ellie with the word 2 dimensional.

I'd be more interested in seeing the beginning of it all, especially if it's gonna be a huge focus in the story. Naughty Dog can do what they want though.

A good amount of posters feigning concerns about a gay protagonist being made into a stereotype to mask the fact that they are uncomfortable.

orioto

Good Art™
Man, I'm sick of straight people's discomfort with queer people being masqueraded (especially to themselves) as progressive concern. Two things I want to say about this:

1. As a gay person, I'm really annoyed by the sentiment that gay characters' sexuality should just be a "sublte" trait that "doesn't define them." My sexuality absolutely friggin defines me. I think about the fact that I'm gay literally every single day. It defines who I love, the TV shows and comics I find myself drawn to, how I relate to society, what my politics are, how I view myself- my insecurities and my pride. It defines how people treat me. And It defines the community I find myself in, who my friends are and what my dating pool is- and our communities absolutely come to define us as people.

And this idea that our sexuality shouldn't define us is also a bullshit double-standard, because straight characters are allowed to have their sexuality define them all the time and nobody complains about it. straight people in the real world too. Straight people talk about their sexuality *all the time* and yet nobody complains that they are "letting" it define them. The only reason straight people don't realize how much your sexuality defines you is because you're all surrounded by people just like you. And when I see people say that gay characters like Ellie can't be too in-your-face, that her sexuality should be "sublte" like some kind of footnote in the textbook of her life, all I see is heterosexuals being uncomfortable.

2. Gay people are a community and subculture, and we have shared practices that we use to express our identites- the way we dress for example. Yes, it's true that clothing is inherently neutral and anybody can wear what they want- but it seems that whenever gay people find a way to express themselves in a way that becomes a shared marker of queerness between us, y'all are complaining about "stereotypes." We can't let certain hairstyles, ways of dressing, etc. becomes markers of queerness, you say, lest we perpetuate stereotypes. But these "stereotypes" aren't just made up stuff, these are real queer people who are adopting styles of presentation to celebrate ourselves. I spend so much time in lesbian circles and so many girls proudly wear flannel as a way to express their sexuality, talking about how gay their fashion is. And yeah, of course plenty of queer women don't wear flannel and dress in ways you moght consider "straight." And no matter how you dress doesn't literally define your sexuality and you should dress however you like. But the fact is that for a sizable portion of the LGBT population, certain things become something we positively mark as being "gay" and for a lot of gay people that becomes a really important part of expressing themselves and loving themselves. And when we talk about these things we love that have become part of our shared gay culture, you get concerned straight people coming in warning us "But clothing and hobbies and music and hair don't have a sexuality!! Stop perpetuating stereotypes!" And you might be well-intentioned in that, but I can't help but feel this is another example of straight people being uncomfortable with us and expressing that discomfort in progressive language.

As a gay guy i agree with some of it but not all of it. I guess i'm part of those guys who don't think they belong to a community, at least culturally. Community wise i have mostly gay friends so there is that, but i certainly don't have anything in common with any sort of community in term of clothing, musical taste, or anything. I would find that a problem if i watched tv shows in relation with my sexuality as you say. At least not everyone lives his sexuality like that.

Now about the matter, hm.. Well in my position, yeah i also like homosexual characters to be showed as "nothing special", meaning yes ok they are gay, that doesn't have to change everything about them.

I also understand the idea that maybe straight people who say that just want them the most invisible they can. Maybe, i don't know, i generally hear gay people saying that more than straight people. So i'm surprised about that statement.

There should be nothing wrong with both representation i guess. Stereotyped, culturally charged gay character and subtle one, cause both exists.

psyfi

Banned
Agreed and there's only be a handful of developers out there who could potentially change the industry's perceptions around this topic and I'd wager Naughty Dog is one of them.

It would just be unfortunate for a potentially great game and great story to be overshadowed by a "controversy" that shouldn't exist in the 21st century.
If controversy stopped people from exercising their right to be their authentic selves, we'd be even worse off than we are.

Inviusx

Reddit, where you can get away playing up a victim complex after you literally put regular people and gay people in two separate categories.

Jesus, you could have at least tried to elaborate on how the article even suggested "fuck straight people" to prove you weren't being homophobic as opposed to crying at being called a homophobe.

You got me on the gay and regular part, thats not what I meant but Im not going to sit here an argue. Enjoy your thread people who jumped all over me for sharing my opinion, I hope your hate doesn't follow you into the real world each day. Though is it possible for you to even seperate them at this point?

DedValve

Banned
Man coming here was a mistake, I get wayed to triggered here.

Naughty Dog I hope someone there is reading this. As a gay man whose face literally lit up at Korra and Asami HOLDING HANDS, I appreciate greatly whenever there is LGBTQ representation. I loved that you introduced characters in TLOU whom were gay and yes they were subdued but I hope you don't get the wrong impression that to be "good" gay is to be subdued.

However considering Ellie is one of my favorite characters I have absolute faith in your writing and wherever you take Ellie. Even if the high chance of whatever lover she may have ends up dying or something horrible happens to her, assuming she's in a relationship at all.

Just do know that as a member of the community and I'm sure I'm not alone, I notice every LGBTQ person in the media I consume, both good and bad and feel so incredibly welcomed when the example is good.

PS I nearly choked at Ellies kissing Riley. I love you ND and I hope you can TLOU 2 just as amazing as the first!

PPS Don't make me cry too hard. I know the setting of this game but with just Niel on board please don't make me cry too hard. I love that baby girl ;_;

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As a gay guy i agree with some of it but not all of it. I guess i'm part of those guys who don't think they belong to a community, at least culturally. Community wise i have mostly gay friends so there is that, but i certainly don't have anything in common with any sort of community in term of clothing, musical taste, or anything. I would find that a problem if i watched tv shows in relation with my sexuality as you say. At least not everyone lives his sexuality like that.

Now about the matter, hm.. Well in my position, yeah i also like homosexual characters to be showed as "nothing special", meaning yes ok they are gay, that doesn't have to change everything about them.

I also understand the idea that maybe straight people who say that just want them the most invisible they can. Maybe, i don't know, i generally hear gay people saying that more than straight people. So i'm surprised about that statement.

There should be nothing wrong with both representation i guess. Stereotyped, culturally charged gay character and subtle one, cause both exists.

Fair enough.

Interestingly though, I see straight stereotypes in games get called out a LOT too. I mean, in almost any thread with a straight white male protagonist you see said stereotype called out and criticised repeatedly. It's not like everyone is oblivious to it.

You got me on the gay and regular part, thats not what I meant but Im not going to sit here an argue. Enjoy your thread people who jumped all over me for sharing my opinion, I hope your hate doesn't follow you into the real world each day. Though is it possible for you to even seperate them at this point?

Trollface.png

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If controversy stopped people from exercising their right to be their authentic selves, we'd be even worse off than we are.

But it does happen. All the time. Every day. My cousin hid his homosexuality from his immediate family for most of his life (we could tell from a very young age but are interstate relatives).

He was too petrified to tell them for fear of being disowned. My point is, this IS happening now. I know it shouldn't but it is, which is why I said it would be a shame in the case of this game.

DedValve

Banned
If thats the case you better get out of here while you still can.

If it actually did make no difference to him then he/she wouldn't have posted.

But it does so they did.

Either way I'm out. Gay hugs and kisses ya'll, supersized for your delight! XOXOXO

To much us vs them mentality here. "I want Ellie to be super gay because fuck straight people" is the vibe I got from the OT. Like wtf do you think regular people spend their day walking around persecuting gay people or something?

It just makes me scratch my head. Is it an American thing?

I come from a country where gay sex is a federal offence, so yeah?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Can anyone please empathize with the plight of the straight male gamer that just wants to play games without any of this gay/lesbian stuff?

giphy.gif

Alienfan

The problem that's more unique to lesbians is that they're often stereotyped with characteristics that are universally positive and would be beneficial for all women to have.

Again, the author mentions "toughness" as a signifier of queer women. If we exist in a society where straight women aren't expected to be just as tough, competent and empowered as their lesbian peers, that's a major problem.

I'm not just coming from the angle of "people expect lesbians to be like Ellie," but also that "people don't expect/want straight women to be like her."

Yeah I definitely seem a problem with the authors words, but I also don't think she's correct. Because isn't that true for most female representation now, regardless of orientation. The strong, intelligent, flawless and brave characteristics are present in almost any female character. Those characteristics in themselves have become the new norm. Vulnerability and fear are rarely ever traits explored (for either genders really).

Wensih

To much us vs them mentality here. "I want Ellie to be super gay because fuck straight people" is the vibe I got from the OT.

No clue how this became the take away message. It's probably to much of an us vs them mentality on your part. The writer was expressing her desire to have a character to represent the gay community in video games, not subtly or in the closet as posters on gaf think a good gay character should be, but not afraid to flaunt who she is as a gay woman. I don't see how this is a war on straight people.

If thats the case you better get out of here while you still can.

You should too, since you are just here to complain about being persecuted.

Joke

Your head

If it actually did make no difference to him then he/she wouldn't have posted.

But it does so they did.

Either way I'm out. Gay hugs and kisses ya'll, supersized for your delight! XOXOXO
I haven't read the whole thread yet

There must be context in it I'm missing cause I don't get any of this

mortal

Gold Member
I found Ellie being a lesbian cool because it was subtle and not a big deal.

If it becomes a focus point of the second game it would be disappointing I think.
Agreed.

Ellie is more than just a lesbian. That's a facet of her character, but not ultimately who she is. Politicizing it would only take away from the depth of the character.

The fact that a character in a AAA title such as her can be this nuanced and happens to be a lesbian is a small, but great a accomplishment. That isn't to say there isn't room in exploring her sexuality even further, now that she's become a young adult. Since that is a large part in being human, considering the themes of TLOU.

Representation is important, yes, but it can serve to accomplish more when it's done creatively and thoughtfully. Which raises the potential in better crafting character types that are considered unconventional.

Tovarisc

They are just piling on Inviusx because of his not-so-well worded post(s). I don't think you missed anything actually constructive.

Edit: Apparently others are also jumping on pile on train without directly quoting him. Shame that thread is getting derailed.

Bedlam

pretty sure what really set most people off was that dumb as fuck native american comment
I haven't even read that one.

All I know is I came here, commented on how great the gay aspect in Left Behind was handled in my opinion, stating that I hope it's treated like a "normal" in Part 2 and not treated as a huge thing.

Then immediately some people jumped on me, twisted my comments, basically labelling me anti-LGBT with snarky comments. Really disappointed by these reactions.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A good amount of posters feigning concerns about a gay protagonist being made into a stereotype to mask the fact that they are uncomfortable.

I'm sure there are people like that, but you don't have to go the generalization route. If you have specific concerns about those posters, lay them out. You keep saying it as if your basically dismissing everyone and anyone trying to make a point(whether they are coming from a legitimate place or not) as insecure.

That is no way to have an honest debate.

I do really hope Neil makes sure that's a big part of her identity, plus he straight up confirmed that she is a lesbian no questions about it in the PlayStation Experience panel on TLOU Part II's reveal so I doubt he'll shy away from it.

Came to share my opinion that it doesn't bother me if a video game character is gay or straight as long as the game is fun to play and I get called a homophobe.

Can someone please invent a time machine and take me back to 1998. Now I know how the native americans felt when they saw what the pilgrims did to their great country.

I'm sincerely just dumbfounded at this post. Like I know it's been dogpiled on a lot, but still. It's just simply all sorts of amazing. It has everything. It's a work of art.

I can't wait until a mod comes by and censors you

If it's done right absolutely

Ellie's sexuality wasn't good because it's subtle or because she has the fashion consciousness of 80s lesbians as the article says

It was good because it was authentic . Bill's sexuality get authentic too, maybe even more so

I trust Druckmann to do it right if a love story is part of the story. But because it's been done already in Left Behind do they need to retread that ground?

Man coming here was a mistake, I get wayed to triggered here.

Naughty Dog I hope someone there is reading this. As a gay man whose face literally lit up at Korra and Asami HOLDING HANDS, I appreciate greatly whenever there is LGBTQ representation. I loved that you introduced characters in TLOU whom were gay and yes they were subdued but I hope you don't get the wrong impression that to be "good" gay is to be subdued.

However considering Ellie is one of my favorite characters I have absolute faith in your writing and wherever you take Ellie. Even if the high chance of whatever lover she may have ends up dying or something horrible happens to her, assuming she's in a relationship at all.

Just do know that as a member of the community and I'm sure I'm not alone, I notice every LGBTQ person in the media I consume, both good and bad and feel so incredibly welcomed when the example is good.

PS I nearly choked at Ellies kissing Riley. I love you ND and I hope you can TLOU 2 just as amazing as the first!

PPS Don't make me cry too hard. I know the setting of this game but with just Niel on board please don't make me cry too hard. I love that baby girl ;_;

You need to stop. This post was too heartwarming.

Inviusx

Well I came into the thread just to say that to me personally it doesnt matter if a character is gay or straight as long as the game is fun.

I got called a homophobe as you would expect.

I made a comment that being called a homophobe for wanting a game to be fun above all else is like having something tbat you love taken away from you and turned into something different. Probably went s bit far with the native American thing but hey it was written out of frustration.

All in all the response I got was pretty much what I've come to expect these days from the internet.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're on a video game forum, no one gives a shit that you play a video game for the gameplay, going through your post history you never feel the need to mention how much you care solely about gameplay and nothin else. It's almost like there's a correlation between the fact that this thread is about representation and some very outdated mindset and way overused diversionary tactics from letting people even think about discussion representation and equality. EVERYONE EXPECTS A GAME TO HAVE GOOD GAMEPLAY. You aren't a special snowflake who is the only one thinking "gee I hope this game has good gameplay."

Top Bottom