• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this be on the Switch? Because man I want this shit so bad on the go.

I haven't been able to get a Switch devkit yet, but maybe? Should be relatively simple from a tech perspective (Switch has Unity support, game runs on the Vita which is far weaker than the Switch), so it's more of a business/logistics issue than anything else.

Any new trailers for PSX?

No new trailers. We did announce that it'll get a Platinum Trophy on PSN though.

Reposting my PSX 2016 thoughts:

"Thought I'd post about my experience. Was very different than most people's experience since I was an indie exhibitor (Cosmic Star Heroine).

I live in Southern California so I drove to Anaheim the morning before. Besides giving us free booth space, Sony also gave us a free hotel room at one of the adjacent hotels - high quality stuff, much more expensive than I'd ever pay for myself (strictly motels for me). Signed in and then headed to the convention center to set up. Shane Bettenhausen (our main Playstation contact) helped me get our booth set up - there were some issues with our Vita test kit so he ended up taking it with him & then returning it the next game with our game installed.

The next day, I woke up early and got breakfast at a surprisingly good Mediterranean fast food place a couple blocks away from the convention center ($8 for an amazing omelet stuffed with veggies & some pita bread with hummus). I was able to get in the presentation without trouble - they had a separate gate for exhibitors/staff so I didn't have to wait in the huge main line. Played some Soul Hackers while I waited for it to start. Wasn't too excited about what I saw, but that's mostly me not liking mainstream stuff as much these days. I think I weirded people out when I started clapping wildly when I saw the apple dropping at the start of the Gravity Rush 2 free DLC announcement. I actually kind of enjoyed Knack 1 (on Hard mode. Got it for free from Sony), but the sequel footage didn't look like it had the major enhancements the formula needed to go from a decent game to a great one. People around me went crazy for the fighting game announcements & Last of Us 2.

Ran as fast I could from the presentation to our booth and turned everything on quickly. We had 2 PS4 units setup, plus the one Vita unit. Shane & I couldn't figure out how to use the tether cable to secure the Vita so I ended up just carrying it most of the time and handing it out to people who wanted to try it out. Most people who played the Vita version only played it for a few minutes to confirm that the performance was quality (one person brought headphones and played it for quite a while). Everyone seemed really impressed with the Vita build.

Unlike some past conventions we've been to, almost every single person who stopped at our booth seemed to like turn-based RPGs (at E3, there were a bunch of people who stopped in idle curiosity and were very confused when they found out what our game was). Lots of Chrono Trigger & Phantasy Star fans in attendance. Most of the time we were busy, but not ridiculously so - generally both PS4 units were being played & maybe a few people watching them and asking me questions. Definitely no crazy lines like you saw with the big game booths. General response was extremely positive. We had a few media members come to try out the game, but I don't think anyone from the huge sites like IGN or Kotaku.

At one point, Dan Hsu and some other Playstation staff members stopped by to see how I was doing. Among other things, he tried to convince me that we should include a Platinum Trophy in the game. That was something I didn't need convincing of so it's official, Cosmic Star Heroine will have a Platinum trophy. :)

I was manning the booth from the start of the day until about 8pm with only one 20 minute break for dinner so I was exhausted & felt sick by the end of the day. I said hi to a few other developers, but I didn't actually playing anything there. John Hardin stopped by and said I could try out P5 on Sunday before the convention opened (despite the row of P5 demo stations, he said the lines got really long, even up to 200 people at one point), but I was heading back home Saturday night since my partner was in charge of Sunday.

Quite a few people from here stopped by to say hi & try out the game so thanks for all the kind words! Now to go finish the game so everyone can play it. :)"

It was great meeting you Robert! I was the dude who got the boss message bug popping up after i restarted to the home screen. Thanks so much for the demo and spending so much time answering all my inane questions about the game. Been looking forward to this game the first day it was announced and it looked and played AWESOME in person. That negative health one last gambit or heal mechanic is really genius.

Jeffrey

After finishing a few jrpgs recently, one thing i'd love to read about is end game balancing, because for some reason 90% of jrpgs fall in the trap of jumping the difficulty curve in the last stretch of the game, with 'random monster encounters' that take over 2 times as long as other portions of the game, combined with frustrating puzzle sections that really shouldn't be a thing in this genre to begin with... and back to back boss fights, that usually sour my final impressions of a game by the end lol.

Think most jrpgs peak at 3/4th, then it all goes downhill from there story and gameplay wise.

Burt

Was the PSX stuff the same early segment as the beta from a few months ago? Because if it was, any impressions you could point me towards would be great.

Because that couple-hour beta chunk was already white-hot incredible

Was the PSX stuff the same early segment as the beta from a few months ago? Because if it was, any impressions you could point me towards would be great.

Because that couple-hour beta chunk was already white-hot incredible

Yeah, what we showed at PSX was just the actual game with a hard "Thanks for playing the demo!" cutoff at some point. It was basically the most recent version of the backer beta but you couldn't play the last segments. Personally, I never saw anyone at PSX reach the end since most people don't want to sit and play an RPG for over an hour at a convention. :)

Here are a couple Beta impression articles:
https://www.rpgamer.com/games/indie/csh/cshimp1.html
https://nipponpan.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/cosmic-star-heroine-beta-impressions/

Burt

Yeah, what we showed at PSX was just the actual game with a hard "Thanks for playing the demo!" cutoff at some point. It was basically the most recent version of the backer beta but you couldn't play the last segments. Personally, I never saw anyone at PSX reach the end since most people don't want to sit and play an RPG for over an hour at a convention. :)

Here are a couple Beta impression articles:
https://www.rpgamer.com/games/indie/csh/cshimp1.html
https://nipponpan.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/cosmic-star-heroine-beta-impressions/

Ah cool, thanks. I'm chomping at the bit for some new stuff, but I totally understand wanting to keep the rest under wraps :p

Hope the PSX stuff leads to some good coverage in the next few days and weeks!

Yeah, for an rpg like Cosmic I'd figure a platinum would be obvious. In fact I'd be shocked if it didn't have one.

Glad it's confirmed now tho. Can't wait to try out the final game.

jacobeid

Banned
Glad to read those impressions of the Vita version. I just want to give Zeboyd my money now lol, I don't even care when it's done.

StereoVsn

Glad to read those impressions of the Vita version. I just want to give Zeboyd my money now lol, I don't even care when it's done.
It's easy to do, just preorder PC version on humble. This should run on pretty much anything I would wager (but we can ask Robert for PC reqs).

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cosmic-star-heroine?hmb_source=search_bar

Edit: Personally I am getting PC (already "gotten") and most likely PS4 or maybe Vita instead of PS4. The game looks damn amazing. This and CrossCode are my most anticipated indie RPGs for that timeless 16-bit look and original setting.
Edit 2: Props on mentioning Soul Hackers, one of my favorite games in 3DS (never really played original that much).

jacobeid

Banned
It's easy to do, just preorder PC version on humble. This should run on pretty much anything I would wager (but we can ask Robert for PC reqs).

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cosmic-star-heroine?hmb_source=search_bar

Edit: Personally I am getting PC (already "gotten") and most likely PS4 or maybe Vita instead of PS4. The game looks damn amazing. This and CrossCode are my most anticipated indie RPGs for that timeless 16-bit look and original setting.
Edit 2: Props on mentioning Soul Hackers, one of my favorite games in 3DS (never really played original that much).

Thanks, but I'm waiting on the PS4+Vita version. This will be the perfect game for me to play during my lunch break at work when I'm grumpy and just want to close my door and not interact with co-workers. Then I can bring it home for the TV :)

In case anyone's interested, my downtime games during PSX 2016 were Soul Hackers, SMT IV (almost done on Neutral route, wanted to finally finish it so I can play the sequel), and Tactics Ogre PSP. Yeah, I have trouble sticking with one game at a time.

kdoll08

Robert thanks for being there with the game. I wasn't a part of the beta backers so it was really nice to get to play the game finally. I loved the way that the Vita version looked on the screen. I think the resolution was perfect for the game. I know it's a pixel art game but I thought it was a little too visible on PS4 and just looked fantastic on the Vita. I can't wait for the final game.

New Phantasy Star-inspired art.

CSH-Poster.png

It's gonna be difficult to play the game and think of anything other then 'Robert at Zeboyd Games' as the main character's name.

For a love letter to the best JRPGs ever made, though, I think I'll manage.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That art is sooooo good. Looks like everything I hoped this game would be is turning out. Can't wait to play it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom