• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
It's nice to see the art steadily improving but it might be time to start hiring real pixel artists.

For the 16-bit level that they're aiming for, I thought the PA games looked pretty good. What improvements would they have to make for them to be considered 'real' pixel artists?

I'd prefer not to make this an argument about what is "real" pixel art and what isn't. I'll just say that Zeboyd is a 2 person team, and we do well enough to keep making games as we are. I do all of the visual stuff, detail the character designs, and construct the game worlds. We've been able to make all of our games up to this point in a reasonable amount of time, but we can't expand yet. Art is subjective so all I can promise you is that I'll keep doing my best to improve. If starting at one point and constantly striving to improve means that I'm not a "real" pixel artist, then all I can say is good luck to any other artist out there trying to become "real" at what they do.

Otherwise all I can say is that I appreciate that people do, in fact, care enough to comment on our games, even if it's in some hope that we do better. Personally I try to be my own critic, and find ways to improve my own personal quality but with a heavy emphasis on efficiency. That's a philosophy that we've been running with at Zeboyd since we started, and increasing overhead and costs too quickly often causes indie teams to collapse under their own weight.

AColdDay

I'd prefer not to make this an argument about what is "real" pixel art and what isn't. I'll just say that Zeboyd is a 2 person team, and we do well enough to keep making games as we are. I do all of the visual stuff, detail the character designs, and construct the game worlds. We've been able to make all of our games up to this point in a reasonable amount of time, but we can't expand yet. Art is subjective so all I can promise you is that I'll keep doing my best to improve. If starting at one point and constantly striving to improve means that I'm not a "real" pixel artist, then all I can say is good luck to any other artist out there trying to become "real" at what they do.

Otherwise all I can say is that I appreciate that people do, in fact, care enough to comment on our games, even if it's in some hope that we do better. Personally I try to be my own critic, and find ways to improve my own personal quality but with a heavy emphasis on efficiency. That's a philosophy that we've been running with at Zeboyd since we started, and increasing overhead and costs too quickly often causes indie teams to collapse under their own weight.

Hey, I'll just say I love your style. I think that comment you were referring to he was implying that anyone would have a hard time reaching the heights of Phantasy Star 4-esque pixel art.

I'm just pumped that a talented studio like Zeboyd is taking a crack at an original RPG. You guys have pumped out some consistently great games, and there are many of us who are really excited for your next project.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like everything you're doing with this mitigates most of the little issues I tend to have with JRPG type games. Once we start seeing it come together this could well become one of my most anticipated games.

wsippel

Banned
Leaning more towards PSN (and PC/Mac) than Wii U since we'd be able to get multiple platforms at the same time that way (PS4/Vita). Not saying that we won't do Wii U also but it'd probably come out at a later time since we don't want to stretch our debug efforts too thin by having too many platforms at launch.
Remember: Unity on Wii U is free, so you don't have much to lose. ;)

Neifirst

How have I managed to miss this thread? Anything traditional Phantasy Star-esque is an instant purchase for me. On Wii U, please!!

rezn0r

what Neifirst said (great name btw)

my absolute favorite series with monkey island being a close second!

game looks awesome, can't wait.

There was essentially 0 chance I wouldn't back this short of not hearing about the Kickstarter, but reading the development stuff makes me happy.

Just on the note of the par system you were talking about, are you intending to make any of the "special" par rewards for one-off battles ? If so is it possible to view par rewards and know if a battle is repeatable at the start of the battle ?

Asking because although I think the mechanic sounds interesting, I'm also the type of person who would try to collect all of these and be kind of annoyed if I found out that some one off battle 5 hours ago would have given a special piece of equipment, if I'd decided to beat par.

Tiu Neo

How didn't I see this thread earlier?

They got all my money at Suikoden (and their previous games where pretty great, too). Subscribed.

There was essentially 0 chance I wouldn't back this short of not hearing about the Kickstarter, but reading the development stuff makes me happy.

Just on the note of the par system you were talking about, are you intending to make any of the "special" par rewards for one-off battles ? If so is it possible to view par rewards and know if a battle is repeatable at the start of the battle ?

Asking because although I think the mechanic sounds interesting, I'm also the type of person who would try to collect all of these and be kind of annoyed if I found out that some one off battle 5 hours ago would have given a special piece of equipment, if I'd decided to beat par.

We'd make sure that any special rewards would not be attached to one-off battles since I know how annoying that sort of thing is.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hey Robert and Slash - I recently completed PA4 and thought it was great, your best yet. Though I did have a few issues - like battles that ran on a bit too long and disparate graphic quality - where some stuff looked gorgeous, but others looked almost like the RPG Maker default spriteset...

One thing about the previous Zeboyd games is that each battle is self-contained. You gain your health back after the fight, and you can save anywhere. This effectively eliminates any sort of resource management (though I do appreciate each of the fights "mattering" a bit more and even the battles against mooks requiring a bit of thought). But I still miss that resource management aspect, it was my favorite in the olden days of RPGs... not knowing whether or not you can survive that next fight because your MP are too low, getting lost in huge, sprawling dungeons. It created a huge sense of risk/reward (and the games you mention inspired Cosmic Star Heroine, especially PS4, are a great example of the resource management-esque gameplay). I was wondering if having a more traditional RPG dungeon/battle structure was ever considered in your other releases, and if it will be present in Cosmic Star Heroine?

I mean, after your other games and the fact it's being inspired by my favorite game series of all time, means either way I'm gonna contribute to my first-ever Kickstarter, I was just curious to your thoughts on this type of game design..?

One thing about the previous Zeboyd games is that each battle is self-contained. You gain your health back after the fight, and you can save anywhere. This effectively eliminates any sort of resource management (though I do appreciate each of the fights "mattering" a bit more and even the battles against mooks requiring a bit of thought). But I still miss that resource management aspect, it was my favorite in the olden days of RPGs... not knowing whether or not you can survive that next fight because your MP are too low, getting lost in huge, sprawling dungeons. It created a huge sense of risk/reward (and the games you mention inspired Cosmic Star Heroine, especially PS4, are a great example of the resource management-esque gameplay). I was wondering if having a more traditional RPG dungeon/battle structure was ever considered in your other releases, and if it will be present in Cosmic Star Heroine?

I mean, after your other games and the fact it's being inspired by my favorite game series of all time, means either way I'm gonna contribute to my first-ever Kickstarter, I was just curious to your thoughts on this type of game design..?

We're bringing back a little resource management in Cosmic Star Heroine in the form of the item systems. Items automatically regenerate at your base and at designated safe spots, but they won't regenerate in or between combat so you have to decide when to use them. Feels like a nice compromise.

I think full-blown resource management RPGs can be fun, but the game has to be designed for them. They work especially well in dungeon crawlers (like the excellent Etrian Odyssey IV which I'm currently playing) where the core gameplay is to see how far you can get in the dungeon this time. With that said, I do have a zombie apocalypse game design that I've been working on for years that would involve a lot of resource management - maybe we'll do that after we're doing with Cosmic Star Heroine. :)

Psxphile

Very nice.

I remember wanting so badly for Black Sigil: Blade of the Exile to be that "perfect 16-bit RPG". Shame that a few programming snafus and some bad design decisions have relegated it to "forgotten pretender-to-the-throne" status. If only they had held off on publishing until DSiWare and digital distribution really took off, Studio Archcraft might still be around these days.

ELQi1ZR.gif

zroid

Banned
Definitely on board with this so far. I will probably buy it on PSN, but if there's a Wii U stretch goal or whatever, I may kickstart it too.

atbigelow

I'm not really keeping up with the development of this game, but it sounds great whenever I remember it. Count me in for a Wuu purchase if possible.

We won't have a booth but we will be showing off some new Cosmic Star Heroine stuff next week at PAX. We'll be showing off the Cosmic Star Heroine box art (WAY cooler than the Cthulhu Saves the World box) and that's not even the coolest thing we have planned. :)

Of course, we'll upload this stuff soon afterwards for everyone who isn't attending PAX.

cj_iwakura

Decided it would be fun to do a series of articles looking back at some of our favorite RPG games of the past & discussing how they are likely to influence Cosmic Star Heroine.

First up! Lunar: Eternal Blue!
http://zeboyd.com/2013/08/26/cosmic-star-heroine-influences-lunar-eternal-blue/

The biggest influence to take from Lunar, ideally, would be an actual honest-to-goddess world map to traverse. Boy is that a dying trend.

Even the Lunar remakes are taking that away.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think you and I were separated at birth, Robert. The influence from Phantasy Star and Suikoden certainly has my interest, and your articles had me nodding several times. Oh and I've seen you praise Dark Souls. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ---

Ahem, sorry. I've just been very pleased with the stuff you've written in your blog updates, especially the "Lessons" article. At first I was leery of a "humourous 16-bit j(-style)RPG" since there's so many of those and the self-aware shtick becomes old fast, but you've insisted that it won't be a silly story as an excuse for jokes, and this pleases me. Plus a non-sexualized female protag? Yes please. Been waiting too long for Phantasy Star 5, this would probably be better than anything Sega does these days.

Just to be clear, the combat system will be entirely turn-based, and you can control every party member, correct? No modern action-with-pause bollocks or controlling one character with stupid AIs, right?
*fingers crossed*

I like the MP system. Someone mentioned Wild ARMs 3, but the original Wild ARMs had a similar system with the Force. Though it also had "traditional MP", which the characters could refill with rare-but-not-that-precious-that-you'll-hoard-them-forever-and-never-use-them consumables.

The only thing I kinda want to say something about is... er, the title. I don't suppose there's any chance that it'll change at this point, but... I don't really care for it. It sounds a bit silly and goofy. :(

But that might be just me. I'll definitely back this on Kickstarter (though er, that does depend on your answer to the question about the combat... xD). Good luck with your game!

Wait, anime-inspired art style? Urgh.
He's citing influences from Phantasy Star, Suikoden and Chrono Trigger... WTF did you expect? -_- Besides, anime-style art isn't always weeabo bollocks. The Suikoden and Phantasy Star series have fantastic character art.

Just to be clear, the combat system will be entirely turn-based, and you can control every party member, correct? No modern action-with-pause bollocks or controlling one character with stupid AIs, right?
*fingers crossed*

ENTIRELY turn-based combat. :)

The only thing I kinda want to say something about is... er, the title. I don't suppose there's any chance that it'll change at this point, but... I don't really care for it. It sounds a bit silly and goofy. :(

The name is a little on the silly side, but we wanted to get the references in to Cosmic Fantasy & Phantasy Star. :)

grapetile

Neo Member
Just saw the trailer that Playstation upload, apparently from PAX. Didn't show all that much, but that was fine with me. It reminded me that I'm already pretty much already sold on this game based on the ideas Zeboyd has going on.

Love the art style in that trailer, by the way.

Yanksfan

I cannot believe I did not know about this game before now. This just instantly became my 2nd most wanted game (behind MGSV). I love me some Zeboyd Games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep. I wanted the birdman (because there aren't enough birdmen in games, loved them since Shining Force), but that would have been my second choice so I can't complain too much.

I'm way too hyped for that game. ^^

ChanMan

Has there any more news on a possible release window on this game? Just watched the PSX demo from last year again and it got me excited for this again ha.

Has there any more news on a possible release window on this game? Just watched the PSX demo from last year again and it got me excited for this again ha.

No. Sometime in 2016. It's also getting physical editions through Limited Run Games.

We are all still waiting with bated breath.

ChanMan

If you're interested in it, you better follow this thread. It's still gonna be a long while before it's out, but the physical edition will be limited and will probably sell out in an hour, if the first release by LRG is anything to go by.

Thanks for the link! I really hope they have a physical release for the Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom